Prince & Princess of Asturias's Official Visit to China: July 12-14, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to see the Princes of Asturias finally made their official visit to Asia.
Wonderful of Letizia to wear the "lucky red" colour on her outfit yesterday & today. It's a nice touch to get into the Chinese culture...

ps. China today is a very modern country, and no, white is not considered a bad colour. Although it is used on a funeral, it doesn't really imply bad things. It's simply a great colour combination to use on red. and so far, Letizia has done well...

Roxsteve said:
Letizia looks too plain in her visit. She could have worn some of her other beautiful outfits. Too simple for such an important visit. Just my opinion.

I agree, i would have waited to see her dressed diferently. She used the same style of dressing she uses normally in her acts in Spain. Which I dont think is wrong but for a visit to China, she could have chosen something more special.

Thank you all for sharing the pictures and news abou this visit.

I agree with purple. Chinese people don't see a funeral or the death of their loved ones the way we, latin people for example, do.

And I personnaly, in case you miss my other 100 posts saying it ;), love to see Letizia in white. The red detail is nice! The colour of happiness - I've just finished reading a book with that title :D.

Regards,
mtbcm :)

Pictures from terra (some of them are similar to those from lfi, but they are bigger):

Attachments

• F&Lchina.jpg
    F&Lchina.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 418
  • F&Lchina2.jpg
    F&Lchina2.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 232
  • F&Lchina3.jpg
    F&Lchina3.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 189
  • F&Lchina4.jpg
    F&Lchina4.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 282
  • F&Lchina5.jpg
    F&Lchina5.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 261
  • F&Lchina6.jpg
    F&Lchina6.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 239
  • F&Lchina7.jpg
    F&Lchina7.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 328
  • F&Lchina8.jpg
    F&Lchina8.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 249
  • zzh6.jpg
    zzh6.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 350
Last edited by a moderator:
Prince Asturias animates to the Chinese industralists to consider Spain

Prince de Asturias animated to the presidents of the 22 more important Chinese companies today, “to have more in account to Spain in his plans strategic” and to know better what can offer to them for its projection in Europe and Ibero-America.
Don Felipe was expressed thus in the supper which it offered - nothing more to today arrive at Beijing next to Princess de Asturias, at the industralists and the people in charge of Chinese enterprise organisms, to which also attended the ministers of Outer Subjects of Spain, Miguel Angel Moratinos, and of Commerce of China, Bo Xilai.
Princes de Asturias began towards the 18,00 hours of today (local time) their visit to Beijing, after remaining 24 hours in Shanghai (Chinese), where they developed an intense program, dedicated specially to the support of the economic relations between Spain and the Asian country.
In that same line, the first act in Beijing reunited to them again with industralists, to those who Don Felipe said to them, after saluting to them in Chinese, that from the visit of the president of China, Hu Jintao, in November of the year last to Spain, “the strategic cooperation between our companies constitutes one of the common objectives”, question in which agreed with Bo Xilai.
Also it emphasized Don Felipe in his words that in “Spain follows with enormous interest the policy of the Government of the People's Republic of China to animate to its companies to have an international projection”. The Prince assured that the Cervantes Institute, that tomorrow it will inaugurate in the Chinese capital, “constitutes a priority in our relations and an excellent landmark for the best reciprocal understanding”, that goes beyond the cultural thing and which without a doubt it will have a beneficial effect on the activity of the companies.

http://actualidad.terra.es/nacional/articulo/principe_asturias_espana_982934.htm

I thinkl that even if Letizia didn't know that white is a bad coulour to wear in China she should be advise of that!
One question, why she doesn't have a lady in waiting?
she has wore this same red jacket in other event!!!!

biboquinhas said:
One question, why she doesn't have a lady in waiting?
Because Spain doesn't have a court and the other ladies of the Spanish Royal Family don't have that kind of assistant either. That topic has already been discussed in the Princess Letizia's Current Events thread, so please take a look at there.
she has wore this same red jacket in other event!!!!
Don't worry, biboquinhas, I'm sure nobody in China saw it before, so it's like she was wearing it for the first time. Queen Sofia does exactly the same, when she travels abroad... ;)

Ariel said:
I agree, i would have waited to see her dressed diferently. She used the same style of dressing she uses normally in her acts in Spain. Which I dont think is wrong but for a visit to China, she could have chosen something more special.
I agree, but I think its more curious that looking at the pictures you would think they never left Madrid, they should offer the press who Im sure pays quite alot to travels with them so far a little more, take a short walk on the chinese wall or pose briefly infront of the forbidden city or something like that, just to give them something different for a change. There does not seem to be alot of fotoagencys on this trip, an maybe the press looked and the schedual and figured they already have a gazillion pictures of business meeting, why travel halfway around the world for some more.

Do you expect her to have a new wardrobe for each event? Letizia is perfectly appropriately dressed in white. Perhaps some research into current chinese customs and cultures would calm some frayed nerves about the situation.

I applaud the couple for all the work they do on behalf of Spain and the Cervantes Institute. They represent their country and its interests in a splendid way. They are a hardworking couple that take their job very seriously. They give me a very positive picture of Spain and its people and culture. I am a Swede living in the US and Felipe and Letizia's activities have greatly expanded my interest and knowledge about Spain. My guess is their activites and professional approach to their duties have had the same impact on many other people around the globe.

another photo from Xinhua :

SHANGHAI, 13 jul (Xinhua) -- Princes of Asturias inaugurated Thursday the Forum of Investments and Hispanic-Chinese Enterprise Cooperation, in which more than 500 companies of both countries participate.

Prince Felipe de Borbón praised the accelerated economic growth of China and emphasized the importance that stops its country has the fourth world-wide economy. “Chinese it is a high-priority country for Spain, and both countries are strategic partners with common interests”, said to the Prince, putting like example the Chinese Plan, including within the Integral Plans of Development of Markets of their country, with which the Iberian companies look for to reinforce their presence in the Chinese market.

The program, signed by the president of the Spanish government, Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, in June of 2005 in Beijing, counts on a budget of 710 million Euros for period 2005 - 2007, and must as objective not only increase the Spanish enterprise presence in China, but also balance the trade balance between both countries, until the moment inclined in please the Asian country. “It is the project more equipped with the Spanish Commercial Administration”, emphasized the member of the real family, in reference to the estimated millionaire.

Also, the Prince emphasized the importance of Shanghai like center of Chinese development and in special of the delta of the Yangtse River, area in which he concentrates himself most of foreign companies that they look for to expand his activities in the country. “They are already the 400 present Spanish companies in China, and 200 of them have their centers of administration and production in Shanghai”, indicated, comparing the present number of active companies in the country with the 40 that had incursionado for the time in which first visit to the city made his, six years back.

Prince of Asturias also mentioned an agreement that will be signed in the course of the day with the Chinese government, which both understands the granting of scholarships for students of countries with the purpose of both fomenting the cultural interchange between countries, with the objective, among others, to facilitate the commercial activities in the future. “This agreement will foment the mutual understanding, which will be of benefit not only in the economic and commercial field, but also in the social field, with two societies that will learn to know themselves and to be understood better”, it thought.

In the forum, that counts on the endorsement of the Superior Council of Chambers of Commerce of Spain and the Spanish Institute of Foreign trade, they participate more than 110 Spanish companies and more than 400 Chinese, and will include the celebration of more than 700 rounds of businesses which Friday will finalize, day 14.

Prince of Asturias congratulates to Shanghai by new record of athlete Liu Xiang

SHANGHAI, 13 jul (Xinhua) -- Prince de Asturias today congratulated here to the city of Shanghai by the new record obtained by the local athlete Liu Xiang in the competition of 110 meters fences, in Super the Great Prix of the category, Tuesday in Lausanne, Switzerland. “In name of Princess of Asturias, and in mine own one, I want to congratulate to the shanghainesa community by the triumph of Mr. Liu Xiang in the athletic test of 110 meters with obstacles that place in Switzerland took”, the heir said to the Spanish throne in reference to the new world-wide record of 12,88 seconds registered by Liu, with which centécimas broke by three its own mark, settled down in the Olympic Games of Athens in 2004.

The member of the Spanish royalty made its note during the inauguration of the Forum of Investments and Hispanic-Chinese Enterprise Cooperation, that is developed in the city days 13 and 14 of Julio, and to whom they attend more than 110 Spanish companies and more than 400 Chinese, and whose objective is to both accelerate and to facilitate the economic and commercial cooperation between countries.

The inauguration ceremony also they attended, among others, the Minister of Outer Subjects of Spain, Miguel Angel Moratinos, and Vicealcalde de Shanghai, Tang Dengjie. Liu jumped to the fame and it became one of the favorite children of Shanghai, along with the basquetbolista Yao Ming, who plays in American NBA, when winning the gold medal in the Olympic joust, breaking all the prognoses, with which she was, of distant spot, the most important triumph of the Chinese delegation in Athens. The new registry left to Liu like world-wide leader of the category, since the 2004 record, 12,91 seconds, shared with the Briton Colin Jackson.

source : Xinhua

Larzen said:
I think its more curious that looking at the pictures you would think they never left Madrid, they should offer the press who Im sure pays quite alot to travels with them so far a little more, take a short walk on the chinese wall or pose briefly infront of the forbidden city or something like that, just to give them something different for a change. There does not seem to be alot of fotoagencys on this trip, an maybe the press looked and the schedual and figured they already have a gazillion pictures of business meeting, why travel halfway around the world for some more.
I see what you mean, Larzen, but I have to say that the Prince of Asturias takes in his travels abroad a role much a more similar to that of an ambassador, cooperating with the Minister of Outer Subjects, than that of a member of Gotha Royalty. That's the way the Spanish politics require his cooperation and that's the way it works in the Spanish Royal House. His aim is to get the coverage of newspapers and news agencies not the covers of magazines.

I understand it may be difficult to see this, especially if you want to compare his travels to China with those made by other Crown Princes of Europe, but as someone said in the posting habits thread, that is not the right thing to do.

Each Royal family has it's target and its needs and we, royal watchers, have to live with that.

The television of the Cervantes Institute will emit in direct through Internet the inauguration of its center in Beijing

MADRID, 13 (EUROPE PRESS) The Cervantes Institute will tomorrow inaugurate 14 of July in Beijing the one that will be its great Asian seat and to celebrate its disembarkation in China, the Virtual Center Cervantes (CVC) will release in the Web diverse contained related to the presence of Spain in China and to the programmed cultural activities in the occasion of the inauguration. Among them, the virtual catalogue “Labyrinth of Museums”, a route by the 16 Spanish museums of contemporary art that participate in the sample that will inaugurate Princes de Asturias in the Cervantes of the Chinese capital. These centers of modern art, between which are the IVAM, the Guggenheim or the MUSAC, have been selected by the quality of their collections and its architectonic singularity.

http://es.news.yahoo.com/13072006/4/television-instituto-cervantes-emitira-directo-traves-internet-inauguracion-centro-pekin.html

grevinnan said:
Do you expect her to have a new wardrobe for each event? Letizia is perfectly appropriately dressed in white. Perhaps some research into current chinese customs and cultures would calm some frayed nerves about the situation.

I applaud the couple for all the work they do on behalf of Spain and the Cervantes Institute. They represent their country and its interests in a splendid way. They are a hardworking couple that take their job very seriously. They give me a very positive picture of Spain and its people and culture. I am a Swede living in the US and Felipe and Letizia's activities have greatly expanded my interest and knowledge about Spain. My guess is their activites and professional approach to their duties have had the same impact on many other people around the globe.

:) Thanks Greviman for your thaughts, it's excatly mine. It's exactly that I'm going to say since I participe at this forum. I add that with the help of many spanish peoples or well connoissors of spanish way of life of the Kings an Princes of Asturia, who explain their country, I'm becoming a true "aficionada" of this royal family because the challenge they represent and of Spain for all the specificities that we are meeting on all the threads about it

It's very instructive, more fascinating.

Well, I thought she should've worn at least some new clothes :cool:.

planetcher said:
Well, I thought she should've worn at least some new clothes :cool:.
Well, she has. It's the first time she wore the so called white suit from the first day and we didn't get full body pictures from this evening's dinner in Beijing to see what she's wearing... Not to say that this trip has not finished yet...;)

Elsa M. said:
I see what you mean, Larzen, but I have to say that the Prince of Asturias takes in his travels abroad a role much a more similar to that of an ambassador, cooperating with the Minister of Outer Subjects, than that of a member of Gotha Royalty. That's the way the Spanish politics require his cooperation and that's the way it works in the Spanish Royal House. His aim is to get the coverage of newspapers and news agencies not the covers of magazines.

I understand it may be difficult to see this, especially if you want to compare his travels to China with those made by other Crown Princes of Europe, but as someone said in the posting habits thread, that is not the right thing to do.

Each Royal family has it's target and its needs and we, royal watchers, have to live with that.
That's a really well-put interpretation, Elsa. I agree that each royal family has its own aim & what they are doing. This trip is focus on business, and inaugurating Cervantes Institute. Since the main event is scheduled tomorrow in Beijing, we might have to wait a while...

However, i couldn't help to wonder that when seeing these pictures of Philippe & Mathilde of Belgium's Economic Mission to China, that yes, both Philippe & Mathilde were also there for business trip with aim to increase a better relationship between both countries. They are also there to visit Belgian companies, and have reception with chinese businessmen, and lots more. One thing that differ it is how they blend in business with cultural side. It certainly doesn't mean their trip is only for publicity, since they're both really involved with the meetings & often presided these economic missions. They are perhaps more than ambassadors to Belgium, but partially carry on the weight of the economic mission's success on their shoulders.

Right now, after all, Felipe & Letizia are in one of the greatest country in the world, with so many sights to see & experience to joined in, but seeing these pictures, seems like they are staying at hotels and didn't experience 'China'. Felipe & Letizia at least experienced some Brazilian culture when they visited the country back in 2004/5, or saw the city sight when they visited Hungary.

But, seeing pictures from yesterday & today, well, i do hope they got out of their hotel at night & see the 'real' Shanghai, which is IMO one of the most beautiful city in the world. and when they'll arrive in Beijing, it would be a great loss if they didn't at least visit some of the city's great places (like the Forbidden City). After all, what good is a business when we cannot understand the culture of the country.. :) ;)

Last edited:
I believe that this is a trip to inaugurate the institute and related to the economy.

They were said to spend part of their honeymoon in China or at least in Asia (Thailand I think, nothing was confirmed after all):confused: So maybe they didn't miss pictures next to Great Wall so much...:confused: I really loved their official trip to Brazil and it would be fun if the one to China was similar, but they are still very busy after all...

Dear Purple Platinum, you are totally right when you explain that the Duke of Brabant are too Commercial Ambassadors as the Princes of Asturias. More, it's the main part of the Principe Philippe 's job to reach jonction with buisenessmen, Commercial Chambers of the country visited as did his father Prince Albert before he became King. It's very well know that Prince Albert was very successfull in his duties.

As I understand, the Princes of Asturias are going in China - this time - for only three days of work, part commercial in Shangai, part cultural in Beijing for the opening of Cervantes Institut. In think that in three days, and in two towns so far away of each one other, it's very difficult to find some time for tourism. But, it seems to me that the Pinces know a little China because they were been here during there honey moon and we can suppose ( and we can hope for them) that they might have some cultural and architectural visites.

Last edited:
How come we don't have pictures? Only a few...

Some Agencies that cover normaly the Princes, s activities, dont have now pictrures, Getty havent, Segger havent.

Everybody is in vacations:rolleyes:

Letizia amortizes clothes in China
Like other European Princess, Doña Letizia does not scorn to repeat dress. And she does not matter to him that one notices. In fact she uses complements such.

Without arriving at the limits of Reina Margarita of Denmark, that sews backstitches, puts bows and cuts to sleeves with his augustas hands and the machine to sew of Palace, Doña Letizia saves in suits. No longer we are in the times of Maria Antonieta, when the seamstress of franesa Reina took to soberanatodas the mornings a book of colossal dimensions with engravings and drawings of his suits.
If a dress it likes, Doña Letizia puts it every time it is necessary. And she keeps with special affection his dresses as a single person. The clothes of the Princess do not require of kilometers of closets as the one of the last French queen.
Doña Letizia, at the moment in China, has put the same jacket of tweed, the same t-shirt with decollete of tip, and he himself purse with chain golden that used the past at the end of month of June, in the exhibition of Manolo Valdés in the Museum Queen Sofía. She has only varied the hairdo. The Princess shone with style her jacket in the company/signature of an agreement of cooperation between the Institute of Comercio Exterior (ICEX) and the School the International of Negocios China-Europe (CEIBS) of Shanghai.

http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/140876/0/Letizia/China/vestidos/

Two Leticias and one Carolina
Eight Chinese volunteers, six girls and two boys, all dresses of target, will help tomorrow in the ceremony of inauguration of the pekinesa seat of the Cervantes Institute, in charge of Princes de Asturias, in his third and last day from their visit to China. The eight twentyish ones come from four different universities inhabitants of the capital in whom the Spanish teaches itself.

The young people have come because it seems “interesting” to see them close by to prince Felipe and Doña Leticia, say. Their recent marriage, personal personality and its circumstances, provoke here feelings not very different that in any other place. Although until the marujeo, here more delicate and it is educated. The personal history of the princes of Asturias is “like a legend”, says “Carolina” (Gao Qian). A story Prince that house with a journalist of middle-class, “and in addition divorced”. “I believe that that indicates that the monarchy approaches more the normal life of people”, says. On which both they are well similarities, it seems to have consensus.

Seems to Them useful the monarchy? Perhaps “Good, I believe that in a country like Spain if is it, to people it seems to like it, although am a little expensive the one to have a king, but he is… elegant”, says another student. Elegant: “Yes, it is one more a honorarier way to represent the country, to give an image”, says him. “But - I add I have come mainly so that the Princess is my tocaya”, she explains. “I am called Leticia”.

http://www.lavanguardia.es/lv24h/20060713/51276525583.html

Last edited:
fanletizia said:

I read the 20 minutes article in spanish and i dont like it that much, i mean, they are saying something valid and is correct to say that she like other princess recyles her clothes, but it is the way he/she wrote the article that have some irony. Maybe it is the way the journalist (if he or she is one) uses to write, but it is kind of difficult to understand why he wrote in such a way.

Thanks for the pictures everyone! Do they take the baby with them when they travel or do the leave her at home with the nanny?

Ariel said:
I read the 20 minutes article in spanish and i dont like it that much, [...] it is the way he/she wrote the article that have some irony. Maybe it is the way the journalist (if he or she is one) uses to write, but it is kind of difficult to understand why he wrote in such a way.
Ariel, don't forget that "20 minutos" is not properly the epitome of serious journalism... that's the same "light" writing style we have in yellow magazines, if you want my opinion.

marezdote said:
Thanks for the pictures everyone! Do they take the baby with them when they travel or do the leave her at home with the nanny?

it seems me to have read in an article that for the long travel letizia left leonor with his family

Elsa M. said:
Ariel, don't forget that "20 minutos" is not properly the epitome of serious journalism... that's the same "light" writing style we have in yellow magazines, if you want my opinion.

I wasnt sure about 20 minutes, i dont know that publication so well, but it is clearly not a example of serious journalism as they look like giving two messages, one under the lines with all those ironical comments.

kartheina said:
White is a color of mourning in Chinese culture.

it's only half correct.......if ppl are in mourning for their relatives they usually put a blue or white or black flower on their hair. (or black ribbon on their shirt):D

White and red are Letizia's color! she looks great in those bright colors. Did they leave Leonor home?!!! :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom