News about the Wedding of Prince and Princess of Asturias

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Alexandria+May 19th, 2004 - 9:59 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandria @ May 19th, 2004 - 9:59 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Bubbette@May 19th, 2004 - 10:53 am
Ah, I guess I thought of it being done by a planner, ie one person in charge.
There probably is a wedding planner who oversees everything, but still unreasonable to expect one person to do all the work. There is a lot of work in co-ordinating a "regular" wedding with a guest list of 125 people. Imagine a royal wedding with 1000+ people who have security details of their own and which will be photographed and watched the world over. [/b][/quote]
Right--- I mean I think wedding planners normally have their own staffs to help out etc. I think the term "committee" is what through me.

:cry: :cry: :cry: The nearest Borders to me is about an hour's drive away, and the nearest Barnes and Noble is over three hours away. I haven't checked the Hello website lately so I don't know if they offer single issues by mail or not. There is one tiny little newstand about 20 minutes from me that occasionally carries "Royalty" magazine, but that's a monthly publication so probably there won't be anything until June. Still, I'll keep searching! :heart: :flower:

Originally posted by Jackswife@May 19th, 2004 - 11:17 am
:cry: :cry: :cry: The nearest Borders to me is about an hour's drive away, and the nearest Barnes and Noble is over three hours away. I haven't checked the Hello website lately so I don't know if they offer single issues by mail or not. There is one tiny little newstand about 20 minutes from me that occasionally carries "Royalty" magazine, but that's a monthly publication so probably there won't be anything until June. Still, I'll keep searching! :heart: :flower:
That´s too bad. I wish they were closer.

Originally posted by Jackswife@May 19th, 2004 - 10:00 am
I second Lady Jean's request for stuff related to the wedding. I will recompense any one kind enough to pick up magazines, etc regarding the Spanish and/or Danish weddings. Not too much attention seems to be paid to the nuptials here Stateside. :cry:
Hello,

I live in France. So I am OK to take Point de Vue mags for anyone who want them. The one for the Danish wedding is already out so let me know quickly.
I should even be able to find a few Hola if I am quick enough ...

Let me know privately if you're interested. My e-mail adress is helen.eyssavel@wanadoo.fr

Members of Spain's royal family and a niece of the bride walk along the covered red carpet from La Almudena cathedral to the Royal Palace in the center of Madrid Wednesday May 19, 2004, as they preceed Queen Sofia, unseen, who is personally overseeing the preparations for Saturday's royal wedding at the cathedral between Crown Prince Felipe and Letizia Ortiz. Children from left to right are Juan Valentin, son of princess Cristina, Juan Froilan, son of Princess Elena, Carla, niece of Letizia Ortiz, and Victoria Frederica, daughter of Princess Elena.

The children

Awwwww

Aren´t they just precious? :heart:

Does anybody know, when the ceremony itself will start on Saturday? I have to do something on Saturday morning and I want to make sure to be back, when the guests arrive etc.
German TV (and a lot of foreign channels) broadcasts more than 6 hours of the wedding (from 9am CET to 3 pm CET), so I wonder what is ceremony and what are "old" reports...

I believe the ceremony starts at 11:00 a.m. Spanish time. Actually that could be when the bride arrives at the church.

Originally posted by samitude@May 19th, 2004 - 6:39 pm
I believe the ceremony starts at 11:00 a.m. Spanish time. Actually that could be when the bride arrives at the church.
Ok...thanks a lot for your help!

are there any places in the internet, where I can see the festivities live ?

Originally posted by Lena@May 19th, 2004 - 12:35 pm
Does anybody know, when the ceremony itself will start on Saturday? I have to do something on Saturday morning and I want to make sure to be back, when the guests arrive etc.
German TV (and a lot of foreign channels) broadcasts more than 6 hours of the wedding (from 9am CET to 3 pm CET), so I wonder what is ceremony and what are "old" reports...
Hi,

The wedding will start at 9:00 AM (quest will arrive). The ceremony is at 11:00 am. I'm in Costa Rica and I know that the time zone difference is 8 hours. So I quess I will be seeing the wedding at 1:00 AM.

I read that this following links will do a livestream of the wedding:

www.terra.es
http://www.ard.de (German site)
http://www.zdf.de (German Site)
www.dr.dk (danish)

You can also go to this link, where you can look for online tv coverage of some channels, just look for the country:

http://wwitv.com/portal.htm

Y.

Ademar from the Glittering Royals MB says that on the official web page of the royal family (www.casareal.es) says that there will be a balcony appearance by Felipe and Letizia on their wedding day.

Here is the info from Manuel:
It will be the balcony facing the Plaza de Oriente,ie, on the lateral facade of the Palace, not used for a similar appearance of the Royal Family since 1975.

An extra special treat since balcony apperances are so rare with the Spanish royal family!

That is good news indeed! More kisses! :flower:

What's with the pre-wedding dinner on May 21 ?
- Do they chat about the etiquette of kneeling, sitting and standing up at the altar ?

Originally posted by Jackswife@May 19th, 2004 - 11:17 am
Do you have a Books-A-Million store near you? I know the one near me carries many royalty magazines such as HELLO, Hola, Majesty and Royalty.

Does anyone know if Australia is getting coverage?

What i know is that EURONEWS CHANNEL will coverage the wedding at 5 AM ( Montreal , New york time ...) :) so i have to wake up early to watch it , i don't know if i could do it ...it's to early for me :p

Originally posted by Juliane@May 19th, 2004 - 11:50 pm
LOL, coverage starts at 1 am Pacific Standard Time....uuggh!
:eek: WHAT?! Awww...man, that means no sleeping that moring, then. I'm in the Pacific side too ;)

wedding coverage starts 4am eastern standard time and i gotta be at work at 8am--i am gonna be asleep over my desk!!!

Yahoo! News

Spain gears up for "wedding of the century"

MADRID (AFP) - In what is being billed as Spain's 'wedding of the century,' heir to the Spanish throne Prince Felipe de Bourbon will tie the knot with former journalist Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano.

Madrid will be awash with wellwishers but, aside from some 1,600 VIP guests lucky enough to have secured an invitation to Almudena Cathedral, they will have to watch from a distance with the capital swamped by tight security including some 17.700 police and airspace over the city closed on the day.

Until their engagement on November 6, the lovebirds' courtship was a closely-guarded secret which only leaked out to the media on the eve of the first official confirmation.

Their wedding is in line with a growing trend among the world's royal households to welcome commoners into the fold -- something unthinkable a generation ago.

As a television news presenter Ortiz, born in the northern city of Oviedo, was already a household name in Spain before details of her romance emerged.

What struck the Prince was her dynamism and down to Earth nature, according to friends.

"She's a normal, uncomplicated, beautiful and intelligent woman," says Sara Cuellar, a roommate of Ortiz for several months when Spain's future queen spent almost a year working for a Mexican newspaper.

Cuellar believes her friend could become as popular as the late Princess Diana was in Britain, despite noting a "rebellious and headstrong" streak which the royal household will want to keep in check.

Whether or not Ortiz proves to have Diana's allure, royal watchers are enjoying a feast as she will walk down the aisle just a week after Denmark's Crown Prince Frederik wed commoner Mary Donaldson, the first Australian to join a European royal family, in Copenhagen.

Japan's Crown Prince Naruhito could claim to have set the royals-commoners trend in train having wed former diplomat Princess Masako in 1993.

Whereas Frederik and Donaldson met in a Sydney bar in September 2000 during the Olympic Games (news - web sites) one of the first known meetings of Spain's golden couple came in less auspicious circumstances.

Ortiz was on assignment for Spanish television in Galicia covering the sinking of the Prestige oil tanker and the Prince, a keen environmentalist, was there to assess the damage.

On Saturday, bagpipers from the verdant northern region of Asturias will play outside the cathedral -- most appropriate for a bride who hails from the area and who is about to take the official title of Princess of Asturias.

The marriage will cement a Spanish monarchy only revived in 1975 on the death of dictator General Francisco Franco (news - web sites) with the accession to the throne two days later of King Juan Carlos, father of the Crown Prince.

The royal marriage will be the first to take place in Spain in almost a century with Juan Carlos having pledged his troth to Queen Sofia in Greece on May 14, 1962.

Before that, one has to go back to May 31, 1906 for a Spanish royal wedding with the nuptials of Felipe's great-grandfather King Alfonso XIII and Victoria Eugenia de Battenberg.

Saturday's ceremony is a milestone for modern Spain, with Ortiz not just a commoner but also a divorcee.

At 25, she was married for a year to former literature teacher Alonso Guerrero but friends of Ortiz have indicated the pair were "incompatible."

Ortiz went on to carve a successful career in journalism, swiftly moving from print media into television and becoming a presenter of the main evening news and catching Felipe's eye, helped by their mutual friendhip with veteran television correspondent Pedro Erquicia.

The design of her dress created by Manuel Pertegaz, who has also clothed Queen Sofia as well as Ava Gardner (news), Audrey Hepburn (news) and Jacqueline Kennedy, is being kept a closely guarded secret -- but it will be ivory in colour.

Felipe, who will dress in army uniform, replete with military decorations including the Grand Cross of Merit, is the only son of Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, and has two elder sisters, Princess Elena and Princess Cristina.

Owing to the tight security following the March 11 train bombings in the city, bystanders will be requested not to throw flowers, while Spain is also suspending the Schengen agreement allowing unrestricted travel within Europe for a week.

Aside from the March 11 attacks, Spain's worst ever terrorist atrocity, Spanish authorities are also mindful of the need to avoid any repeat of the incident which marred the ceremony of Alfonso XIII after an anarchist threw a bomb into the crowds, killing 23 wellwishers.

Original plans for pre-nuptial parties and a firework display have been cancelled as a mark of respect for the 191 train bombing victims, with the money saved going towards a memorial fund.

As the only male heir the Prince is first in line to the throne.

However, the Spanish government is set to amend the rules on royal succession to enable a future princess to become head of state.

The Prince joked last year that he would like between two and five children -- and if the first born is female she could one day become head of state.

Felipe has geared up for the day he himself eventually ascends the throne by recently taking a key role in official royal engagements.

The prince and his bride will spend at least part of their honeymoon in the Red Sea port of Aqaba, where they expect to attend the marriage of Jordan's Prince Hamza, due to marry Princess Nur Hamza on May 27.

Arrival of the guests:

Empiezan a llegar los invitados a la boda del Príncipe y Letizia

El secretario general de la Organización de Estados Americanos (OEA), César Gaviria, y su esposa han sido los primeros invitados a la boda real que han aterrizado en Madrid. El resto de jefes de Estado, representantes de las casas reales y otras autoridades extranjeras llegarán entre hoy y mañana tanto al Pabellón de Estado de Barajas como al aeropuerto de Torrejón de Ardoz.

El presidente de Ecuador, Lucio Gutiérrez, su esposa, Ximena Bohórquez y sus hijas llegaron a las 8.00 horas a Barajas en un vuelo procedente de Quito.

Un cuarto de hora antes, había aterrizado en el mismo aeropuerto el avión procedente de Nueva York en el que viajaba Gaviria.

Las siguientes en llegar a Barajas, a las 9.30 horas, han sido las primeras damas de Costa Rica, Leila Rodríguez de Pacheco, y de Nicaragua, Lila Abaunza de Bolaños.

Otras llegadas previstas a Barajas hoy (Today's arrivals at the Barajas Airport)

12:15 horas. Príncipe Naruhito de Japón.
12:40 horas. El Sha y la Shahbanou de Irán.
14:05 horas. Primera dama de Bolivia, Elvira Salinas Gamarra de Mesa.
14:15 horas. Primera dama de Perú, Elian Karp de Toledo.
15:15 horas. Ex presidentes colombianos Belisario Betancur y Andrés Pastrana, acompañados de sus esposas.
16:15 horas. Farah Diba.
16:25 horas. Príncipe Haakon y Mette-Marit de Noruega con su hija la princesa Ingrid Alexandra.
16:50 horas. Príncipe Víctor Manuel y la princesa Marina de Saboya.

Llegadas a Torrejón hoy (Today's arrivals at the Torrejón Airport)

18:00 horas. El príncipe de Orange y la princesa Máxima Zorreguieta junto a su hija la princesa Amalia. Está pendiente de fijar la hora de llegada del príncipe Constantin y la princesa Laurentien, con su hijo, el conde Claus-Casimir.

Llegadas a Barajas el viernes 21 de mayo (Tomorrow's arrivals at the Barajas Airport)

8:40 horas. Los duques de Aosta.
9:40 horas. Presidente de El Salvador, Francisco Flores, acompañado de su esposa y su hija.
10:25 horas. Enrique Bolaños, presidente de Nicaragua.
10:40 horas. Princesa Tatiana Radziwill y John Fruchaud.
11:20 horas. Ex presidente de Sudáfrica, Nelson Mandela, y su esposa.
11:40 horas. Álvaro Uribe, presidente de Colombia, y su esposa.
11:45 horas. Mireia Moscoso, presidenta de Panamá, junto a su ministro de Exteriores, Harmodio Arias, y su esposa, y el ministro de Justicia, Arnulfo Escalona.
11:55 horas. Sus Altezas el Magrave y la Magravina de Baden.
12:50 horas. Marta Luisa de Noruega y su marido, Ari Behn.
13:00 horas. El príncipe Salman Bin Abdulaziz Al-Saud, gobernador de Riad.
13:30 horas. El presidente de Kazajstán, Nursultan Nazarbayev, y su hija.
13:30 horas. Ana María de Grecia, el príncipe Nicolás y la princesa Teodora.
13:36 horas. Los duques de Braganza y el príncipe Georg Friedrichj de Prusia.
13:50 horas. El rey Miguel y la reina Ana de Rumanía.
14:20 horas. El duque de Baviera.
14:25 horas. El ex presidente checo Vaclav Havel y su esposa.
14:55 horas. Mary Mc Aleese, presidenta de Irlanda, y su esposo.
14:55 horas. Constantino de Grecia.
15:00 horas. Princesa Sarvath El Hassan y el Príncipe Rashid Bin El Hassan, de Jordania.
15:15 horas. Los reyes de Noruega.
15:30 horas. Noor de Jordania.
16:05 horas. El príncipe y Gran Maestre de la Orden Militar de Malta, Frey Andrew W.Bertie.
16:15 horas. Rania, la princesa Muna Al Hussein, el príncipe Feisal Al-Hussein y la princesa Alia Al-Feisal y el príncipe Talal y la princesa Ghida de Jordania.
19:00 horas. El príncipe heredero de Emiratos Árabes, Sheik Mohamed in Zayed Al-Nahyan, y el ministro de Información y Cultura de este país, Sheik Abdullah.
22:10 horas. El secretario del consejo de seguridad de Rusia, Igor Ivanov, acompañado de su hija.

Llegadas a Torrejón el viernes 21 de mayo (Tomorrow's arrivals at the Torrejón Airport)

9:50 horas. El presidente del Banco Mundial, James Wolfensohn, y su esposa.
13:30 horas. La reina Beatriz de Holanda, el príncipe Jaime y la princesa Carolina de Borbón Parma.
14:00 horas. El príncipe Hans Adam II de Liechtenstein, los grandes duques de Luxemburgo, los príncipes Jean y Guillaume y el príncipe Nikolaus de Liechenstein y la princesa Margarita de Luxemburgo.
14:50 horas. El hijo del Emir de Qatar Sheikh Joan Bin HamadBin Khalifa Al Thani.
14:55 horas. El gran duque heredero de Luxemburgo, el príncipe Guillermo.
15:30 horas. El presidente de Portugal, Jorge Sampaio, y su esposa.
15:45 horas. Los reyes de los belgas.
16:00 horas. Los reyes de Suecia.
16:00 horas. Los príncipes herederos de Bahrein, el Jeque Salman Bin Hamad Al-Khalifa y Shaika Hala Bint Dais Al-Khalifa.
16:10 horas. El príncipe Moulay Rachid de Marruecos.
16:25. Victoria de Suecia.
16:30 horas. La reina Fabiola de Bélgica, el príncipe Felipe y la Princesa Matilde, la princesa Astrid y el príncipe Lorenz y el príncipe Laurent y la princesa Claire.
17:00 horas. La reina Margarita de Dinamarca, el príncipe Consorte Henrik, el príncipe Gustav Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berlegurg, el príncipe Alberto de Mónaco junto a la princesa Carolina y Ernesto de Hannover.
17:15 horas. El presidente de la República Alemana, Johanes Rau, y su esposa.

Nice to see that MM and Maxima will have their babies with them...

Source: Getty Images

MADRID, SPAIN: King Juan Carlos of Spain and Queen Sofia's grandchildren carry flowers to the Almudena Cathedral in Madrid 20 May 2004 during the rehearsal for Prince Felipe and Letizia Ortiz's wedding. AFP PHOTO/Pierre-Philippe MARCOU (Photo credit should read PIERRE-PHILIPPE MARCOU/AFP/Getty Images)

Little boys and little girls

I'm the grandma you're the grandchildren because you're wearing red

Guess Pablo got tired

MADRID, SPAIN: Queen Sofia of Spain (L), her sister, Irene of Greece © and her daughter Elena ® chat in front of the Almudena Cathedral in Madrid 20 May 2004 during the rehearsal of Prince Felipe and Letizia Ortiz's wedding. AFP PHOTO/Pierre-Philippe MARCOU (Photo credit should read PIERRE-PHILIPPE MARCOU/AFP/Getty Images)

Sofia, Irene and Elena

MADRID, SPAIN: Spanish Prince Felipe ® and his fiancee Letizia Ortiz leave the Almudena Cathedral in Madrid 20 May 2004 after the rehearsal of their wedding. AFP PHOTO/Pierre-Philippe MARCOU (Photo credit should read PIERRE-PHILIPPE MARCOU/AFP/Getty Images)

Felipe and Letizia 1

Felipe and Letizia 2

Felipe and Letizia 3

MADRID, SPAIN: The first lady of Bolivia, Elvira Salinas, invited to the 22 May 2004 royal wedding between Prince Felipe de Borbon and Letizia Ortiz, pictured upon her arrival at Barajas airport in Madrid 20 May 2004. AFP PHOTO/Pedro ARMESTRE (Photo credit should read PEDRO ARMESTRE/AFP/Getty Images)

Bolivian arrival

Is it just me....or is there a problem with some of the Getty-links (happend a lot in the last days...also with pics from the danish wedding) :( ??

Hi Gabriella! Yes, there is a Books-a-Million near me but so far they don't carry any of the royalty magazines. HOWEVER, I've been told at another local bookstore (a private operation, not a national chain) that they can sometimes special order overseas magazines. It's kinda pricey, but since these are one-of-a-kind occasions, I think I can splurge. I used to work in a college library that subscribed to Paris Match, Illustrated London News, Bild, etc, so whenever they were tossing out old issues it was a gold mine for a royalty buff. Alasm those days are gone. But thanks for the tip. :heart:

Originally posted by Lena@May 20th, 2004 - 9:29 am
Is it just me....or is there a problem with some of the Getty-links (happend a lot in the last days...also with pics from the danish wedding) :( ??
I think that if you click on the Refresh button in the new Getty Images screen you should be okay. That happens to me too with other Getty Images links posted here, but once I click on Refresh the image comes up okay.

Or, copy and re-paste the link into another Browser/Netscape, etc. window and it will come up okay too.

Originally posted by Alexandria+May 20th, 2004 - 2:34 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandria @ May 20th, 2004 - 2:34 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lena@May 20th, 2004 - 9:29 am
Is it just me....or is there a problem with some of the Getty-links (happend a lot in the last days...also with pics from the danish wedding)  :( ??
I think that if you click on the Refresh button in the new Getty Images screen you should be okay. That happens to me too with other Getty Images links posted here, but once I click on Refresh the image comes up okay.

Or, copy and re-paste the link into another Browser/Netscape, etc. window and it will come up okay too. [/b][/quote]
Yes, this way it works...thank you :flower:

For Netscape, all you have to do is to click on "refresh" as well. You do not need to copy and paste. Love the photo of Sofia with the children. Cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom