Names for Felipe & Letizia 2nd girl

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rebafan81 said:
This is a fun thread, thanks for that. I am not that familiar with Spanish names but I also really like Isabela or Gabrela. My only problem is that I don't really like the name Leonor and if you make the next little one have a very feminine name - Leonor will even sound worse, IMO.
Question- I am american, is Leonor pronounce differently in Spanish? Thanks

Prince Felipe says the name in this video (around the 35th second of it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOUBlnPbbFI

Anna_R said:
Prince Felipe says the name in this video (around the 35th second of it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOUBlnPbbFI
Thank you so much for that video, I totally change my mind about her name. It has a totally different pronouncation then what I thought it would be in English. I think it sounds beautiful. Thanks again;)

ladybelline said:
What would be the English pronounciation for Leonor?
Probably you would read the first part- Leo- as "Leonardo" or Leo di Caprio :lol:

I think they should choose a modern name. Traditional names in the SRH are a little old-fashioned. Names like Carlos, Alfonso, Felipe, Enrique,Jose are not used for little boys nowadays.

My picks for a girl: Josefina or Consuela

Boy: Ignacio or Gonzalo

ladybelline said:

In a spanish pronunciation, the Le in Leonor is pronounced like you would say the "le" in the English word Let (obviously without the "t").

Now, on in Leonor would be like the French pronounciation for the "on" in non)

Then, for the last two letters, or, you would pronounce like the Spanish word for gold, oro, all while trying to roll the "r." Result: Le-on-or. Leonor. :)

A bit much, but hope that helps. :flowers:

I'm going to cross my fingers for an Infanta Gabriela or an Infante Alfonso!

Originally Posted by ladybelline
Probably you would read the first part- Leo- as "Leonardo" or Leo di Caprio :lol:

:lol: Thank you!

Boy: I'm not sure

Girl: Gabriela

Boy:
Fernando, Felipe, Fernan.
w/o the F:
Leonardo, Alfonso, Enrique.

Girl: Lourdes, Laura (or Maria Laura), Loyola.
w/o the L:
Covadonga, Pilar, Almudena, Mercedes, Paz, Blanca.

Last edited:
Rebafan81 said:
Thank you so much for that video, I totally change my mind about her name. It has a totally different pronouncation then what I thought it would be in English. I think it sounds beautiful. Thanks again;)

You're welcome. And I'm glad you like the name now, it's a very feminine name in my opinion:flowers:

I think if it's a boy they will go with a more traditional name, but if it's a girl, they might surprise us all with an untraditional or unexpected name as they did with the choice of Leonor when so many had flagged Sofia or Isabella as a popular choice.

I really like the spanish names Mercedes and Carmen..
I don't know... a little Princess Mercedes :rolleyes:

For a boy I would chose a name like Juan or Alejandro.

RaniaRocks said:
Boy:
Fernando, Felipe, Fernan.
w/o the F:
Leonardo, Alfonso, Enrique.

Girl: Lourdes, Laura (or Maria Laura), Loyola.
w/o the L:
Covadonga, Pilar, Almudena, Mercedes, Paz, Blanca.
Covadonga is one of the uggliest names i´ve heard, sorry, it´s so ridiculous:ohmy: , maybe not in Spain, but in America, it sounds like the name of a milk:lol: . Poor girl!!

rosana said:
Covadonga is one of the uggliest names i´ve heard, sorry, it´s so ridiculous:ohmy: , maybe not in Spain, but in America, it sounds like the name of a milk:lol: . Poor girl!!
I agree completely. If they give the girl this name I won't enter TRF for a week, as a form of protest :lol: :lol: :lol: Of course until they leave the hospital to present this cutie :ROFLMAO:. Infanta Covadonga, just imagine! I hate Pelayo as well, I can't remember Letizia saying she liked it. Anyway, where is the point in giving babies the names, that no other kid at school will have? ;)

Really your commentaries are offensive, I do not believe that you liked that they were joking of your names. You can like more or less a name, but I do not believe that it is necessary to joke.

In every country there are names that are traditional, and that aren´t in use in other places of the world. In Spain for example, there are many different virgins, and many women take the name of that virgins. From Rocio (dew), up to Camino (walk), Portal (portal), Puerto (port), Mar (sea), Pilar... And these women are proud of their names that honor to the history and the local tradition where they were born.

Covadonga and Pelayo, are not rare names for any Spanish, all the persons know wherefrom these names come and know that they are very habitual in Asturias (the one who does not know it is an ignoramus who does not know the history of Spain). No child is rare, for having that names.

lula said:
Really your commentaries are offensive, I do not believe that you liked that they were joking of your names. You can like more or less a name, but I do not believe that it is necessary to joke.

Everbody has a right to dislike/like certain things and names. The posters merely expressed their opinions without personally attacking anybody. To call these posts 'offensive' sounds a bit to strong IMO. But feel free to explain why you do like these names (as you are doing & which is rather informative).

Marengo said:
Everbody has a right to dislike/like certain things and names. The posters merely expressed their opinions without personally attacking anybody. To call these posts 'offensive' sounds a bit to strong IMO. But feel free to explain why you do like these names (as you are doing & which is rather informative).

I also have right to express my opinion, and personally I feel offended because in my family these names exist, and I know many persons who call this way. And because both are names very linked to the history of Spain, and there are many persons who have an affective link to what these names represent.

You can like or not a name, to my many of the names proposed here, I do not like them, others do not seem to me to be not Spanish at all, and others seem to me to be passed from this epoch. But I do not say that they are ridiculous, or insinuate that if a child has this name they would laugh at him in the school. :wacko:

I believe that there is a limit and a difference, between the opinion and the offense.

lula said:
I also have right to express my opinion, and personally I feel offended because in my family these names exist, and I know many persons who call this way. And because both are names very linked to the history of Spain, and there are many persons who have an affective link to what these names represent.

You can like or not a name, to my many of the names proposed here, I do not like them, others do not seem to me to be not Spanish at all, and others seem to me to be passed from this epoch. But I do not say that they are ridiculous, or insinuate that if a child has this name they would laugh at him in the school. :wacko:

I believe that there is a limit and a difference, between the opinion and the offense.

You are totally right Dear Lula, for at least two reasons.

The fisrt, even Pelayo is a name which the sound is strange for foreigners, it's obvous thatb it's an historical name and only for that it's very respectable! Do you thing really that " Fernando" is more beautiful than Pelayo ?

The second one: this thread is typiclly a game because as the Princes had shown us for Leonoer, it will be certain that will chooze a name which like first before to find one in the costums of the real house.

I'm sure that we will be surprised.

Last edited:
Covadonga and Pelayo aren't so rare, I've heard them quite a few times here, and know the story of the batalla with Don Pelayo. But then again there are a lot of Spanish people in Miami and a lot of Cubans are descendants of Spaniards, so it's not so weird for me. Personally, I don't like them, but I don't find them weird either.

Ani

Changing topic...

After LEONOR, to try to guess the name seems to be very difficult. Probably let's look for slightly common, historical and literary names, and they end up by choosing a very normal name in the family.

If they choose for traditional names, the girl might be Sofia, Isabel, Victoria, Maria, Mercedes, Cristina... If he is a boy... Felipe, Alfonso, Juan,Carlos, Fernando... They are the names that more repeat themselves in the Royal Family, but sometimes it also brings links historical, a bit complicated.

If they follow Leonor's example, we would have to look for a bit less common names in the Spanish Monarchy ... we might investigate a bit when see which appear.

For example, Catalina, wife of Enrique III, and the first Princess of Asturias.

I agree with those who think that Felipe and Letizia could surprise us again with their choice of name for the new baby. But, just the same, I’d like to venture some guesses, based on some names of Spanish royal children in history -- just to be true to the tradition they’ve started in their choice of Leonor’s name :)

For an infanta:
Catalina, Clara, Eugenia, Margarita, María
For an infante:
Carlos, Diego, Enrique, Fernando, Pedro

lula said:
Sorry if i offended anyone, maybe ridiculous was a little strong, there are also ugly(for me) names in my family life Teresa, Enriqueta,Faustina Santina, completely old-fashioned, but i don´t think it´s offensive to dislike them. Times change and names also have their time, it was just an opinion, but again i apologize.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it will be isabella. It may be strange. If I were Letezia I wouldn't like to give my daughter the name of an ex girlfriend of my husband... but I'm not her and I know Isabelle has been a queen in Spain!!!!
I'd lihe they surprise us another time. Never mind what they'll choose...It will be nice! They are the parents and they must choose a name they like !!!

zaza61 said:
If I were Letizia I wouldn't like to give my daughter the name of an ex girlfriend of my husband...
:lol: Good point..!!

I think that if it's a girl they might name her Sofia, probably they didn't for their first daughter because it was too predictable and wanted to surprise, and they did with Leonor which is a beautiful name.

For an infanta maybe Carolina, Sofia or Isabel. To an infante maybe Alfonso, Carlos or Felipe.

rosana said:

:lol: I don't think they will come up with that name eitherway, even they said they will probably name they first ones either with Covadonga or Pelayo but since they completely surprise everybody with Leonor you can spect a different kind of name and w/o a second name of a Saint as Leonor Maria or Leonor de ..... but I can't deny I will like a "most royal" name for the new baby. I let you the Covadonga history and actually I know, is a big name for a little baby but also is Leonor, and more Doña Leonor as people call her but Covadonga is pretty spanish and royal, if you say Infanta Covadonga de Borbon it won't look bad, and there's no way that you can say such thing as Covadonguita or Covadonguilla, I hate when people minimize the names (or whatever the custom of our, Latins speakers on putting the ita or ito at the end is), also the name is an asturian one.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Covadonga (Asturian: Cuadonga), from Latin Cova dominica, "Cavern of the Lady", is a village in Asturias, northwestern Spain, among the Picos de Europa mountains where Spanish Christians won a battle over the Muslim Moors around 718 and 725. This was the first victory of the Christians over the occupying Moors and had great symbolic significance as the start of Reconquista. It is currently a Marian shrine. The Spanish Army has named several entities "Covadonga".

Since you can read Spanish take a look at this publication:

http://www.desdeasturias.com/asturiasbasica/rutas.asp?idruta=61

I didn't felt offended by your post however remember: beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;) I don't think you will need a retaliation since they will come up with a much modern or less royal name. :cool: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom