Names for Felipe & Letizia 2nd girl

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Lucia. Lucia de Borbón y Ortiz

In one way it is harder to choose name for the second child, as you kind of want a name that goes with the previous child. Leonor is a name that is fairly compatible with many names.

Beatriz is a pretty name. I also like Lucia, Susana, Teresa, Inez, and a multitude of other names. I think Spanish names for females are so pretty, it's hard to pick one;)

Because of the name they choose for their first daughter, Leonor, is a historical name, a name from the Spanish Royal Family, I expect Felipe and Letizia to choose another such historically significant name for their second daughter. I made up a list of names of women from the Spanish royal family (only on the paternal line, following the crown, thus excluding the Greek royal family, etc)

Names that have appeared more than one time (with the number of times in parenthesis afterwards) (this was from an English-speaking hereditary tree, so the names are spelled in the English variation. I don't remember off the top of my head which ones were not of English basis to begin with (such as Mary, sister of Q Elizabeth I) so I haven't changed it)(*edit- I put the Spanish equivilants at the end of the list)

Anna (3)
Antoinette (2)
Catherine (3)
Isabella (11)
Isabelle (3)
Joan (2) (Joan? that seems odd to me..)
Josepha (2)
Margaret (7)
Maria (12)* (this only includes women who were simply named Maria. Fifteen other women were named Maria _something_)
Maria Christina (2)
Maria Anna (2)
Maria Theresa (4) (the name of the current Grand Duchess of Luxembourg!)​
Marianne (4)
Marie (2) (these were specifically Marie, not Maria, as they were born French. All Marie's were specifically Marie. Otherwise, I list them as Marias)
Marie Christine (2)
Marie Louise (6)

Other names include Beatrice, Charlotte, Eleonor (hence, Infanta Leonor, the new baby's big sister), Eulalia, Louise, Louise Isabelle, Louise Charlotte, Mary, Mercedes (as in Maria de Mercedes, the king's mother), Theresa, and of course, Sofia, Elena, Cristina, Victorica, Federica, Letizia, and Leonor. This is not an absolute, nor perfect, but it is pretty complete, I think.

*Here are the Spanish Equivilants to all the names I've listed here.
English-- Spanish (pronounciation)
Anna--Ana {ahh-nuh}
Antoinette-- Antonieta {an (like ant)-toe-nee-et (like in get)-uh}
Catherine-- Catalina {Cah-tah-lee-nuh}
Isabella--Isabella {ee-suh-bay-ya} (double l is prounounced like a y)
Isabella--Isabela {ee-suh-bay-luh}
Isabelle--Isabel {ee-suh-bell}
Joan-- I have absolutely no idea. There is a Catalan name Joan, but that is usually a male name. There is also a Catalan and Portugese name, Joana, but I've never met anyone named that. It would be pronounced yo-aah-nuh
Josepha--Josepha {ho-say-fah}
Margaret--Margarita (like the drink) {mar-gah-ree-tah}
Maria--Maria {mah-ree-ah}
Marianne--Mariana {mah-ree-ah-nah}
Marie--Maria
Mary--Maria
Louise- Luisa {Lou-ee-sah}
Beatrice--Beatrix {Bay-ah-trees}
Beatrice--Beatrice {Bay-ah-tree-say}
Charlotte-- Carlotta {car-lot-ah}
Eleonor--Eleonor {A-lay-o-nor (nor rhymes with door)}, Leonor {Lay-o-nor (nor rhymes with door)}
Eulalia--Eulalia {you-lay-lee-ah} (also a name of a 4th century saint from Spain, who is the patron saint of Barcelona)
Mercedes--Mercedes {mare-say-days} (it's really a rather common Spanish name)
Theresa--Theresa, Teresa {tay-ray-sah}

The names I think are reasonably certain they won't choose will be Letizia, Leonor, or Eleonor, Felipa, or anything very like them or derivative of them. I also don't think they will choose Sofia- I just don't. They may use it as a middle name, and that would be lovely. Neither will they choose one of his sister's names for a first name, although out of the two, they would be more likely to choose Cristina.

They will probably choose a first name from among the list I posted of historical names. My choices for a first name as most those likely are Ana, Maria, and Isabela or Isabella. My personal likings are Antonietta, Isabella, and Mercedes. They may also choose Juana, in honor of the king. Mercedes, although I took it from the name of KJC's mother, Maria de Mercedes, it is a known girl's name, and I think it would be a modern and lovely sentimental. It would fit with F&L's style, I think.

I also love Eulalia. I'm not sure why- it's weird, and uncommon, and just different. It means to talk with beauty, and it seems to just roll off the tongue.

Federica could also happen, although doubtful.

Royal Fan said:
Isabella Maria Beatriz Letizia

The new Infanta probably will have only one name like her sister...;)

You have done a great work LadyK, thanks for all these names. May a make some correcctions as regards the spelling?
Carlota_ Beatriz_ Juana (Joan)_ Josefa_ Eleonora
As for Isabella/e, i don´t know if they are very used in Spain, they are of Italian and French origin. Spanish people would use Isabel.

thanks guys! I've knew most of the translations, and know many people with those names myself, but some of them, I just had to guess.
Rosana, I'm glad you picked up on Juana for Joan- I'd never have guessed it!
I do know more than on Isabel and Isabela, and even a couple of Isabellas, from my travels in Spain, so I do believe they are names used there. However, they never use Isabella for {ee-sa-bell-a}. A lot of the names depend on where in Spain you are from. Most of the people I'm familiar with are from Andalusia. If you are from the northern part of Spain near the Pyrenees or in the area around Barcelona, you hear a very different language indeed.

Personaly I love the name Isabella so I hope that it is included in her name, or even mercedes after Felipes grandmother

I'm a bit confused:wacko:. Doesn't the name "Isabel" in fact mean "Elisabeth"? I have read many articles from hola or other Spanish newspapers and they always call QEII Reina Isabel II (like here). Why? :question:

Last edited:
LaChicaMadrilena said:
I'm a bit confused:wacko:. Doesn't the name "Isabel" in fact mean "Elisabeth"? I have read many articles from hola or other Spanish newspapers and they always call QEII Reina Isabel II (like here). Why? :question:

Isabel is the spanish translation for Elizabeth. So when they are talking about la Reina Isabel de Inglaterra, they mean Elisabeth. We do that a lot in spain. For example they also call prince William, Guillermo, same as Willem-Alexander of Holland, who is called Guillermo de Holanda. I honestly have no idea why, but it's always done :)

princess leonor said:
Isabel is the spanish translation for Elizabeth. So when they are talking about la Reina Isabel de Inglaterra, they mean Elisabeth. We do that a lot in spain. For example they also call prince William, Guillermo, same as Willem-Alexander of Holland, who is called Guillermo de Holanda. I honestly have no idea why, but it's always done :)
I think it´s because Spanish people are very careful with their language and tend to translate everything;as long as possible they also translate names: Charlotte Casiraghi is named Carlota.The same happens with words:as far as i know the Spanish don´t use foreign words like shopping, basketball,ticket, which are used everywhere,but correct me if i´m wrong.:flowers:

they use 'el water' for the toilet, but I can't think of anything more. According to my Valencianian spanish teacher they got that word when they were stationed in The Netherlands in the 80-years war. But I can't think of any other word now either.

Thanks for your answers everyone! :flowers: But I still wander: if we have Infanta Isabel, does it mean she is in fact (for us) Elisabeth or do they in Spain have Isabel as Isabel and Isabel as Elisabeth? :lol::wacko:

I personally prefer Sofia, but I think they are going to choose a different name. Felipe and Letizia like medieval names, like Leonor and Pelayo, so the name of their new baby girl could be Blanca, Mencía, Jimena...
I don't think they would name their daughter Isabel, like Felipe's first girlfriend (Isabel Sartorius)

I think the name Beatriz would be lovely. Leonor and Beatriz make a lovely pair. :flowers:

She will probaly have only one name like her adorable sister. Though if I let my imagination run wild...

Leonor Sofia Antonia Maria de Mercedes
Beatriz Victoria Isabel Maria de Consolata

Alas for modern convenience!

LaChicaMadrilena said:
Thanks for your answers everyone! :flowers: But I still wander: if we have Infanta Isabel, does it mean she is in fact (for us) Elisabeth or do they in Spain have Isabel as Isabel and Isabel as Elisabeth? :lol::wacko:
:wacko: :wacko: Your question is a little confusing, but it goes like this: Elizabeth comes from a hebrew name (Elisheva). Each language has its derivative,which is supposed to be Isabel in Spanish. If you go to the page behindthename.com you can make it clearer. You will find several variants.:flowers:

If the CP couple want to go historical, my guesses would be:
Luisa
Maria
But if they don't... Alejandra, Lucía, Alba would be nice.
Personally I love the name Lucía paired with Leonor...
Las Infantas Leonor y Lucía! :wub:

moby said:
If the CP couple want to go historical, my guesses would be:
Luisa
Maria
But if they don't... Alejandra, Lucía, Alba would be nice.
Personally I love the name Lucía paired with Leonor...
Las Infantas Leonor y Lucía! :wub:

I agree with you- Lucia and Leonor -sounds wonderful!:flowers:

No "a" at the name´s end

Believe that the second girl´s name wount end with "a" either.

queenofcelts said:
I agree with you- Lucia and Leonor -sounds wonderful!:flowers:
I like it too. "Our daughters Leonor and Lucia" sounds beautiful, I like the name Isabel but for Prince Felipe's daughter because she had a girlfriend named Isabel and I wouldn't like it for her. Just my personal opinion.

I prefer Isabel too. It's such a beautiful and regal name, but I doubt they will ever name their daughter Isabel because that's Felipe's ex. Can you imagine all the jokes and what not if they give her that name?

Names of Felipe's ex:
-Eva(Sannum)
-Isabel (Sartoris)
-Gigi :ROFLMAO: (Howard)
-Christine (von Wangenheim)
-Diana (Martínez-Bordiú Aznar)

There are so many beautiful names, but I've chosen my very favourites, which will 'suite' the second daughter of the Princes of Asturias.

Adelina
Blanca
Isabel
Lorena
Lucia
Sarita
Catalina

Ortiz Rocasolano family:

Letizia, Telma, Erika, Paloma :wub: , Carla, Carmen, Enriqueta, Henar, Abigail, Claudia

THat all names are sooo old! I will named her with a more modern name or different name, not Sofia, , Maria Mercedes, Isabel..... maybe:

Catalina or Caterina
Teodora
Alexia?¿
Eugenia I like it!
Cristina like her auntie!
Alejandra, this name has a lot of personality
Maria or Ana are so typical but ok.

or with the L OF Leonor: Leticia, Luisa I like! or Lucía.

My favourite names:
1) Laura:in_love:
2) Paloma
3) Carmen
4) Patricia
5) Claudia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom