Names for Felipe & Letizia 2nd girl

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lena T said:
Could someone please explain how Jimena is pronounced? Thanks. :flowers:
If my memory serves me correct (I had a classmate by that name) its pronounced hee-Me-nah or hee-Meh-nah...can't remember which. The J in spanish names is pronounced like a h (something I found from my experiences).

Like puppigurl said hee-Me-nah but also HEE-men-a

Last edited:
puppigurl2005 said:
If my memory serves me correct (I had a classmate by that name) its pronounced hee-Me-nah or hee-Meh-nah...can't remember which. The J in spanish names is pronounced like a h (something I found from my experiences).

Well it isn't really like an English h, but maybe close enough. In german it would be like a ch.
I think Jimena is really pretty, I really hope that they choose the name! But who knows, maybe Felipe and Leticia don't want anything the press is speculating about! :ermm:

I love Jimena! it sounds really great.

Now, I don't know about the Princes' shortlist, but here is my shortlist of favourite names for the Infanta.

1. Catalina
2. Jimena
3. Sarita
4. Sofia
5. Louise

Mine:

1. Luísa
2. Amelia
3. Manuela
4. Catalina
5. Laura

My top 3:
1. Catalina
2. Mercedes
3. Beatriz

I hope it will be a traditional name with the connections to the royal family or to the spanish history but I will respect every name the princes will choose. I can`t wait to know it!

aryo said:
What does ''Jimena'' means?

Jimena means ''The one, who listens".

And a couple more meanings:
Catalina means "pure" or "Innocent".
Sarita (Sara) means "the one, who rules"
Luisa means "prominent in the battle"
Amelia means "tender"
Manuela means "God is with us"
Mercedes means "favour" or "mercy"
Laura means "triumph"
Beatriz means "fortunate" or "Happiness"

And a question to our Spanish speakers - do you pronounce the J in Jimena like 'H' or like 'J' in Juan, 'G' in Getafe?

I've always pronounced 'J' in 'Jimena' like 'J' in 'Juan'.

There are a lot of Spanish beautiful names that can be chosen by Felipe & Letizia for their second girl. My favorites are Antonia, Luisa, Fernanda, Carolina, Aurelia and Olivia. Hope they can chose some of them and not Mercedes or Jimena. For me these are old-fashioned and ugly. I don't like Leonor either maybe because it's not a common name here in Brazil and the only Leonores that I know are old ladies.

Avalon said:
And a question to our Spanish speakers - do you pronounce the J in Jimena like 'H' or like 'J' in Juan, 'G' in Getafe?

I've always pronounced 'J' in 'Jimena' like 'J' in 'Juan'.

The "J" in spanish is not like the "H" in english,for example the "H" of "House" is similar but it is not
exactly equal, the "J" sounds more fort.
The "J" in Jimena is pronounced like the "J" in Juan:flowers:

Last edited:
I would like a name that begins with L... Letizia Leonor and L...
- Lucía
- Laura

Lauritas138 said:
The "J" in spanish is not like the "H" in english,for example the "H" of "House" is similar but it is not
exactly equal, the "J" sounds more fort.
The "J" in Jimena is pronounced like the "J" in Juan:flowers:

Thank you Lauritas138! :flowers: I was a bit confused after it was suggested the name is pronounced 'hee-me-nah', so I thought one of our Spanish members could clarify it.

We have the letter 'J' (as in "Juan") as well as letter 'H' (as in ''House) in Armenian Alphabet, so I can appreciate what a beautiful name Jimena is. :)

Last edited:
I would like the names Sofia (for the Queen) or Erika (for Letizia's late sister). I think they are both pretty names and I like names that have some family history.

Avalon said:
Thank you Lauritas138! :flowers: I was a bit confused after it was suggested the name is pronounced 'hee-me-nah', so I thought one of our Spanish members could clarify it.

We have the letter 'J' (as in "Juan") as well as letter 'H' (as in ''House) in Armenian Alphabet, so I can appreciate what a beautiful name Jimena is. :)

Yes, it is beautiful, isn't it? This name is is my favorite now for the new infanta.:lol:
In German we have both sounds, too and I know about Armenian also, because one of my friends taught me the armenian alphabet and we used it as a secret alphabet in school for secret letters. :)
But in America I encounter very often Juan being pronounced as Hwan, Jorge as Horge, etc.
I don't think it sounds very beautiful, personally.
My second choices are Mercedes and Pilar, then Sofía or Beatriz.

lilytornado said:
Yes, it is beautiful, isn't it? This name is is my favorite now for the new infanta.:lol:
In German we have both sounds, too and I know about Armenian also, because one of my friends taught me the armenian alphabet and we used it as a secret alphabet in school for secret letters. :)
But in America I encounter very often Juan being pronounced as Hwan, Jorge as Horge, etc.
I don't think it sounds very beautiful, personally.
My second choices are Mercedes and Pilar, then Sofía or Beatriz.

In Russian they don't have either 'J' or 'H' so sometimes names that start on those letter are pronounced as 'G'. Harry, for example, is Garry. And that certainly doesn't add much to the original beauty of those names.

Armenian is very reach with secret letters, so you must have learnt quite a few of them. ;)
Though German (which I studied briefly for a couple of months) is quite rich with them as well. :)

Back to names, though I love Jimena, it's only second favourtie for me. I love the name 'Catalina' more. I have a friend called Catalina and everyone calls her 'Cara' for short, which personally I like vry much.

I prefer Gabriela for girl and Alejandro for boy.

Sofia or Jimena for new infanta.:lucky: :brows: :wizard: :devil: :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Felipe, Letizia, Leonor y Isabel.
Felipe, Letizia, Leonor y Beatriz.
Felipe, Letizia, Leonor y Ana.
Felipe, Letizia, Leonor y Mercedes. (I couldn't really see this happening unfortunately)
Felipe, Letizia, Leonor y Lucia.
Felipe, Letizia, Leonor y Eugenia.

? ;)

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Paloma
María
Carmen
Rocío
Carolina
Diana
Lucía

I think they won't name her Isabel. Sofia too... They shouldn't name her Erika because Letizia would see Erika in her daughter and this is not good. I think they will surprise us... I hope they choose a beautiful name. The daughter of future king and queen of Spain deserves it

MissSaga said:
Felipe, Letizia, Leonor y Isabel.
Felipe, Letizia, Leonor y Beatriz.
Felipe, Letizia, Leonor y Ana.
Felipe, Letizia, Leonor y Mercedes. (I couldn't really see this happening unfortunately)
Felipe, Letizia, Leonor y Lucia.
Felipe, Letizia, Leonor y Eugenia.

? ;)

Option 5! Felipe, Letizia, Leonor and Lucía! :flowers:

I like Lucía too.
What about Fabiola?It’s a Spanish name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom