Names for Felipe & Letizia 2nd girl

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank u Mari i was saying it that way with no L and T just the way it is written!!! The L and T confused me

You're welcome.. :flowers: as you said, lets see if they name the girl Mercedes.. that will clear your doubt! :)

I really like Mercedes, Antonia, and Isabelle or Isabella(either way).

Is there any sort of protocol for the name? For example does the origin have to be Spanish? I would think there would be definite protocol or tradition rather if it was a boy that was expected.

Last edited:
Sofia Mercedes de todos los santos Borbon Ortiz

crm2317 said:
Erika Sofia:flowers:

I was thinking the same. It would be beautiful, a tribute to two amazing women who both have played a big part in Letizia's life.

princess leonor said:
I was thinking the same. It would be beautiful, a tribute to two amazing women who both have played a big part in Letizia's life.

It would be a very bad gift for the little Infanta, as if her role was to remplace her aunt. It will be much better if she has her own name and not the name of a recently deceased relative.

Danielane said:
It would be a very bad gift for the little Infanta, as if her role was to remplace her aunt. It will be much better if she has her own name and not the name of a recently deceased relative.

Well Danielane i can definately see your point but i just thought it would be in remembrance of a ery special person in Letizia's life and just because she is named after her deceased aunt doesn't mean she will have to replace her. Perhaps as a middle name i think that is nearly certain

Danielane said:

I don't think it would mean to replace her aunt. No person can replace another person. But it would be in her honour. Naming the infanta Mercedes wouldn't mean replacing the COuntess of Barcelona either would it? I have been named after my grandmother who had died a few months earlier, but I've never feld I was supposed to replace her. For me it's always been an honour to have been named after such an amazing person. Maybe it could be like that for the infanta as well :)

crm2317 said:
Well Danielane i can definately see your point but i just thought it would be in remembrance of a ery special person in Letizia's life and just because she is named after her deceased aunt doesn't mean she will have to replace her. Perhaps as a middle name i think that is nearly certain

I don't agree.
There are studies which have shown that bearing the name of a very closed relative was a burden and can have serious effects on the young child, especially when the given name is not that common, like Erika.
It is different when you give to a child the name of a great-grand-father/mother.

I knew someone would post something like, why don´t they call the girl Erika, that would be awful, they wouldn´t have thought of the name before.

Why would that be so terrible, rosana? I think it would be a beautiful gesture to call the baby Erika !

I also like:
Lucia
Luisa
Valentina
Sofia
Mercedes
AND my personal favourite Isabel .. :wub:

Last edited:
I think she will be named after her aunt. Not to replace her, not like they will hope to see a lot of her aunt in her.

Just because a new life will begin and a an other life has end; and they will remember Erika and take her with them in life, in a name of the newborn life.

If they had second and third names in the royal family I would say yes, make one of them Erika. But as the little girl probably will have only one name like Leonor, I hope not. She deserves her own name, new and fresh. Maybe they don't want it?
My mother named me NOT after her aunt that died very young although she loved the name, because she knew it would make my greatgrandmother and my grandfather very sad every time they heard it.

mirrjam said:
I think she will be named after her aunt. Not to replace her, not like they will hope to see a lot of her aunt in her.

Just because a new life will begin and a an other life has end; and they will remember Erika and take her with them in life, in a name of the newborn life.

Very well said. I agree. But I'm kind of leaning towards it being a middle name for the new baby.

Also someone said that the name Erika isn't that common. I actually think it's quite common in America I mean not as common as say: Jennifer, Sarah, or maybe Lisa. But I would think of it as a common name in America.

mirrjam said:

Bravo but perhaps as a middle name. I realise they may stick to one name like with Leonor but it would be a lovely gesture to have it as a middle name

I agree with Aurora... I think one of the new princess' middle names will be Erika.

I really doubt this baby will have a middle name. Leonor doesn't have one so why would this child have one? I think they will come up with a surprise name that no one has thought of.

i don't think the baby will have a second name either. it would be quite "tacky" to call the baby erika for a princess. perhaps they may remember erika in another form (a name she liked, perhaps? she must have said many before carla's birth).

It would be terrible to do that, it´s not a hommage at all, and imagine Letizia saying the name of her sister again and again.

I really don't know what to think about that.. It might be too hard for the Princess to name her Erika ..

I do not like that she has a name to her of a so recent dead.
if it were of a sister, aunt, cousin who died 30 years ago...

i like:
paula sofía
laura sofía
ana sofía....
and one YAIZA

samitude said:
I really doubt this baby will have a middle name. Leonor doesn't have one so why would this child have one? I think they will come up with a surprise name that no one has thought of.

I had no idea Leonor didn't have a middle name. I guess I just assumed she had at least one middle name. I'm really surprised by this. Felipe has 4 names total: Felipe Juan Pablo Alfonso. So I'm a little confused as to why she wouldn't have more than one name but I did some checking at wikipedia and Letizia has only one name as well. So maybe it's tradition from her family.

Anyways if that's indeed the case and this child will only get one name it might be a little too soon for her to be named Erika. It might be hard for Letizia to be calling her child the name of her sister so soon after her tragic death. That's why I was thinking it would make a good middle name but now I'm not so sure if there's only going to be one name.

I am almost sure that they will choose Érika as the name of the infanta, due to the circumstances.

They won't,unless the princess want to torture herself by calling her sister's name everyday and remembering her tragic death.
i think their daughter's birth should be the begining of celeberation life,so i hope they choose a name that express this: celeberating life

Marcus said:
I am almost sure that they will choose Érika as the name of the infanta, due to the circumstances.

I doubt that because the girl will be part of the Royal Family (third in line after Leonor and Felipe) so the name selected has to be carefully chosen. Maybe a middle name? but it would be too sad for that idea too. I don't think naming the baby in their mind right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom