Letizia Gives Birth to Second Daughter - Sofía!: April 29, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
monkeyfish said:
Meaning what, exactly?

The blood in the umbilical cord was saved and then shipped to a blood bank in Tucson, Arizona when Leonor was born. This is a fairly new but quickly becoming a common practice just in case certain diseases develop later on in the family. Some of that blood can be used for some treatments of diseases. The reason they ship the blood to a blood bank in America is because in Spain you can not have it stored just for your family it is stored without a name and for anyone to use, as I understand it. Ruber Clinic where the babies were born does other business with the bank in Tucson so that's why the bank in Tucson was chosen.

It seems to me that Leonor was 48cm but much more pounds I didn't remeber her weight. The tenderness of felipe mad my day.

Aurora810 said:
I like the name but I'm thinking at times things might be a little confusing to differentiate between grandma and granddaughter. This is really going to be something if Fred and Mary name their princess after one of the grandmother's(first name I mean). I kind of hope they don't, now it might be a little weird.

So we have to call them Sofia Senior and Sofia Junior. :angel:

About the name: It's a lovely and beautiful name. It's a big honour for the Queen.
I have to say I expected them to chose a new name that cannot be found in the Spanish Royal history so far.

ahhh, they named her after her grandmother, how sweet:wub: I thought Letizia would name her after Erika, but then again that would've brought back the bad memory of her loss. Sofia sounds like a name that they obviously thought over.

MissSaga said:
Yep, I agree, that's also why I'm a little disappointed, even though I love the name Sofia ...

Yes and here at the forums we will have to be careful to not say just Sofia we have to make sure "Queen" or "Infanta" is in front of it. This is going to get confusing, nice gesture but potentially confusing for many.:wacko:

Her_Majesty said:
I'm curoius about how they spell her name:
Sofia (like the Queen's name) or Sophia (like some members already did)?

the Spanish pronunciation is Sofia. The "ph" like in Sophia is not pronounced the same in spanish.
I love the name and I cant wait to see her!!

"Teníamos varios nombres en la lista y al final tanto para la Princesa como para mí ha pesado mucho la idea de que la Reina tuviera una nieta que llevara su mismo nombre”.
Previsiblemente, a Sofía se añadirá de Todos los Santos para respetar, por octava vez, la tradición de la Familia Real de bautizar a los neófitos con "de Todos los Santos" - how nice.

The Infanta Sofia de Todos los Santos de Borbon y Ortiz, Infanta of Spain.

Last edited:
magnik said:
"Teníamos varios nombres en la lista y al final tanto para la Princesa como para mí ha pesado mucho la idea de que la Reina tuviera una nieta que llevara su mismo nombre”.
Previsiblemente, a Sofía se añadirá de Todos los Santos para respetar, por octava vez, la tradición de la Familia Real de bautizar a los neófitos con "de Todos los Santos" - how nice.

CAn you translate to English please?:flowers:

Well, I guessed up to April 30th, and it's April 29th. Just got in under the wire. LOL

The Infanta now has a Wikipedia page: Infanta Sofia of Spain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After I created her page, I then realized that I had to go through the pages of Elena, Froilan, Victoria, Cristina, Juan, Pablo, Miguel AND Irene and change their numbers in the line of succession. WHEW! Quite a lot of clicking there.:lol:

I love the name Sofia :wub: I can't wait until we get to meet the little Infanta and see her with her sister (and maybe cousins). As long as Elena, Cristina and Letizia aren't expecting any babies by Christmas, maybe the King and Queen will finally do a real photoshoot with all their grandchildren!

Congratulations to Felipe, Letizia and Leonor.

I love that they named the Infanta after Queen Sofia. It honors a wonderful Queen, mother, grandmother and woman. Like another poster said earlier, I hope she inherits all of the Queen's many virtues.

I am very happy because Letizia had another daughter. And that her name is Sofía is a good idea. I think that Felipe wants that her name be this because always they have been joined . Congratulations for them :lol: and for the people spanish.

contessa said:
So how is Sofia pronounced????
I guess it's Sofía...with the accent on the í.

I was watching the Live-broadcast... what can I say.
Thanks Little Sofia!
You made me practice my Spanish again!
(It took a long while until Felipe appeared :lol: )

Maybe her name will end up being shortened to Sofi. Just for cuteness, baby Sofi!

If Felipe is telling the truth and little Sofia looks like Leonor then it would seem there will be another blonde cutie in the SPanish Royal Family:wub:

crm2317 said:
CAn you translate to English please?:flowers:
More or less:

They have a list of various names for they daughter but he's got an idea that it would be great if the Queen would have a granddaughter which will have the name after her.
The new Infanta (probably) will have the name of de Todos los Santos as it in the SRF tradition.

Last edited:
So cute.. Sofi and she looks like Leonor!! :wub: :flowers:

Any news on when we will see the little infanta for the first time?

I love the name! Tenemos Infanta Sofia!!! :flowers:

From the conference:

-the baby: 3.310 grams and 50 centimeters (smaller than Leo even though she was more mature!)
-born at 16.50
-she is very similar to Leonor when she was a baby
-Leo will probably visit her baby sis tomorrow
-date of the christening and the godparents will be annonced in next days/weeks
-Felipe cut the umbilical cord
-the blood from it is in 2 "bottles": one for the public bank and the 2nd to go to the US to the private one
-Leti is very calm and both she and the baby are doing fine
-they should leave the hospital in 4-5 days
-Felipe said the experience was the same as the last time

I'm so glad that all three of the big births we were waiting for (Ariane in the Netherlands, lillepige in Denmark, and now little Sofia in Spain) all happened in April.

I would absolutely LOVE it if there could be a photosession with the three little girls together someday with their older siblings. :flowers: Can you imagine that adorable picture? Amalia, Alexia, Ariane, Christian, lillepige, Leonor and Sofia! :wub:

magnik said:

shouldn't it be S.A.R. Doña Sofia de Todos los Santos de Borbon y Ortiz, Infanta de España? or S.A.R. la Infanta Doña Sofia de Todos los Santos de Borbon y Ortiz, if not writing the title Infanta de España?

magnik said:
From wikipedia:
The Spanish Royal House confirmed on February 25, 2006 that stem cells from Princess Leonor's umbilical cord have been frozen and stored at a blood bank in Tucson, Arizona. A spokesman said this is "habitual practice" at the clinic where Leonor was born. The stem cells will be frozen for at least 15 years, along with cells from 18,000 other babies around the world. Leonor is not the first royal baby to have her stem cells frozen; Prince Christian of Denmark's stem cells were frozen as well.

When thay will be relised from the hospital?

Can someone explain why do they do that? Is it in case the litlle infanta goes ill or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom