Letizia and Other Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They do not seem to relate at all to each other, rather felipe and letizia together only. Usually, it is Cristina who has a contact with other european members of the family. She has received the visit thisweekend of Maxima and her family, hosting them at her house. Also she is a close friend of the Bulgarians and the Norwegians, that spent time at her house during the holidays.
She is really close to Rosario Nadal, princess of Preslav, Alia of Jordan and Alessía of Greece.
She has recently been to Boston to inaugurate an exposition.

http://www.artdaily.com/imagenes/2008/04/15/El-Greco-2.jpg
http://www.inicio.es/newsimg/infantacristinayurdangarin.jpg

They do not seem to relate at all to each other, rather felipe and letizia together only. Usually, it is Cristina who has a contact with other european members of the family. She has received the visit thisweekend of Maxima and her family, hosting them at her house. Also she is a close friend of the Bulgarians and the Norwegians, that spent time at her house during the holidays.
She is really close to Rosario Nadal, princess of Preslav, Alia of Jordan and Alessía of Greece.
She has recently been to Boston to inaugurate an exposition.

http://www.artdaily.com/imagenes/2008/04/15/El-Greco-2.jpg
http://www.inicio.es/newsimg/infantacristinayurdangarin.jpghttp://www.inicio.es/newsimg/infantacristinayurdangarin.jpghttp://www.inicio.es/newsimg/infantacristinayurdangarin.jpg

I thought you watched TVE, Pavlos spoke on the TVE special for Felipe's birthday and mentioned they were (are) best friends. Nikolaos is also a very good friend of Felipe. No pictures in public doesn't mean they are not in contact with each other. Actually the Spanish paparazzis are not competent enough to find Felipe and Letizia in private, they are only good enough to harass the vulnerable people such as Letizia's family :eek:.
Haakon and his family were guests of Rosario Nadal, not Cristina, in Mallorca, it's a courtesey of the SRF to invite foreign royals visiting Mallorca (Fred and his then girlfriend Mary Donaldson were also invited in 2002) to sail on Fortune with them, not necessarily have to be good friends.

Besides there are phones and e-mails too about which press doesn't know.

Letizia distances herself from european royalty.
Vanitatis.com - Letizia se distancia de la realeza europea

A quite harsh article on Letizia, who doesn't have much visible contact to her european peers whilst they (MM, Maxima, Mary, Mathilde) meet on various occasions and have well documented close relations. Maxima & WA for example went to see Cristina and her family and did not stop by in Madrid. The spanish couple missed with CP Frederiks birthday another royal celebration but probably only due to their schedule, not because they weren't invited. However, from the outside they do look pretty isolated from the rest, too bad that they are not seen at royal gatherings more often.

Well, I always find it rather curious that Letizia is the main one who gets critisized here. Why don' t start with the king himself, who rarely attends foreign royal events? Or with D. Felipe? And what is the added value of attending these parties in the first place?

Well, I always find it rather curious that Letizia is the main one who gets critisized here. Why don' t start with the king himself, who rarely attends foreign royal events? Or with D. Felipe? And what is the added value of attending these parties in the first place?

Thank you Marengo, so nice to see there are also people not only looking at Letizia. I was thinking the same, especially when I read the article today. The King other than state visits never goes abroad for anything. He did not even attend the weddings in the Netherlands, Norway and Denmark. So I don't really know why she is the one who always get critisized everywhere, easy target I guess :ohmy:

I think that there is added value to these parties because having a close relation or even friendship is a good thing that can pay off in the long run when the younger generation will have taken over.

We see a lot of these parties, most couples are usually around and therefore have already formed friendships / became godparents / go on vacation together or visit each other but usually the spanish couple is not included (and the british couple but they are way older) which is a bit of a shame even though it might be down to the spanish way of handling this issue (finally down to JC and not Letizia).

JC doesn't go anywhere but he gets away with it because he's JC, same thing with QE II. But both were born into royalty, always had the connections and contacts anyway. Therefore especially for the commoner consorts it's important to make new friends in the royal circuit, best example is the friendship of Maxima & Mathilde.

This one is a demagogic article, where only one presents a face, and where other one is not said ... if the Princess of Asturias was acting in these aspects like those princesses do ... the critiques would come from all the sides. If the Princess had a stylist, was spending thousands of Euros in foreign designers, and was habitually in the parties of the royalty ... they would criticize her furthermore. These aspects not only depend on the Princess, there depend more of the decisions of the Royal House, and they act in agreement to the interests of the Monarchy and to a society as the Spanish.

The reality is that probably for the sitewhere the article appears, they would delight that the Princess was acting this way, because this way they might criticize her more.:lol:

I do not imagine to the Princes of Asturias not coming in the day of the Armed Forces, to go to the birthday of the Prince of Denmark. :rolleyes:

I think that there is added value to these parties because having a close relation or even friendship is a good thing that can pay off in the long run when the younger generation will have taken over.

We see a lot of these parties, most couples are usually around and therefore have already formed friendships / became godparents / go on vacation together or visit each other but usually the spanish couple is not included (and the british couple but they are way older) which is a bit of a shame even though it might be down to the spanish way of handling this issue (finally down to JC and not Letizia).

JC doesn't go anywhere but he gets away with it because he's JC, same thing with QE II. But both were born into royalty, always had the connections and contacts anyway. Therefore especially for the commoner consorts it's important to make new friends in the royal circuit, best example is the friendship of Maxima & Mathilde.

Well, that they do not go to all these parties doesn' t mean that there is no friendship, the extend of private contact between the princes of Asturias and the other royals is largely... private. CP Pavlos recently said that he visited his cousin/best friend frequently, which none of us knew. As for the godparents: I would not attach too much value to it, it seems rather obligatory at times that f.e. the Dutch royals always select 1 foreign royal as a godparent, the scandinavians select a whole bunch of royals and Pavlos & his wife basically asked them all.

Still I don' t think that good friendships with foreign royals is that needed. Some feedback/benchmarking might be interesting but for that they have these meetings a few times a year, with all the crownprinces of Europe (and one for their spouses too). The main reason why people note that Letizia is missing in Denmark or that Mary was missing in Apeldoorn is IMHO that we look forward to pictures of the lot of them together and get disappointed when some do not show up. No matter of national interest is at stake here, I don't see how the supposed good friendship between Maxima and Mathilde would be of added value for anybody apart from themselves for example.

I agree with you (DoM), Princess leonor and lula that the main reason of this critisism is that they want to critisize Letizia anyway. If she would be going to parties abroad they would probably call her a party-princess, blame her for wasting money/time etc.

Last edited:
It is funny, this article in own of a person that is bad informed or that intentionally wants to report badly. Because the agenda of this week, it makes enough in ridiculously. This week they have a very tight agenda, the Princess has two acts in solitarily and the Prince receives the Saudi Inheritor.
Week little succeeded for certain observations.:lol:

I have been looking back over 100s of comments made on this forum about Letizia, and it seems that most all of the critizism about her clothes, holding hands, smiling at husband, lack of "friendliness" with other members Felipe's family and other royals, comes from the same people who didn't want Letizia to marry her prince in the first place!

It is over and done with. They are married with two beautiful children and her husband remains by her side realizing that there are those out there that despise her for her position. To these people, she will NEVER do anything correct, but I really don't think she should care as long as her husband and M_I_L advise her and think she is up to the Spanish Royal way of life.

This Royal Family is MUCH more formal than others and stick to their own ways. Maxima would never have lasted in this inviroment just as I don't believe that Letizia would have liked the Dutch ways. Neither are wrong, just different.

As far as not getting along with all the other Royal families, has anyone from the other families stated they don't like her? Everyone in this world does not have to LIKE everyone else--just be polite when in their company.

The Spanish have a very busy schedule plus you do not know of their emails to other Royals, etc. It seems to me that their schedule is a bit more "serious" than quite a few other Royals at this time.

Letizia and Mary are really scrutinized over ever little thing (I certainly would never have wanted my daughters in this position) by people that seem really envious -- even though that would be silly.

The article was from Paloma Barriento's website, what do you expect :eek:. It's just getting very predictable. Letizia was blamed for not attending Joachim's wedding or inviting WA and Maxi for a vacation, they tend to forget 'Zarzuela moves when the King whistles'. The Princes have zero contact with the other royals, how do they know ? :lol: Like I said before, those 'useless' paparazzis should first figure out where the Princes went or with whom over the holidays or weekends before drawing any type of conclusion.

Last edited:
Maybe she is shy and not a very social person? She seems more into her home life with her husband and their children.

I don't like to bring up this tragic parallel, but when Alix of Hesse married the last Czar of Russia Nikolai II she received many of the same criticisms as CP Letizia, only much more hostile. She married Nikolas right after the funeral of his father Alexander and the Russians called her the Queen who "came to us behind a coffin"...she hated St Petersburg high society and frivolity and refused to attend.(due to her natural shyness and the fact that she was extremely religious) Soon the word came out that she was an austere aloof snob. Much worse was the fact that she was a foreigner(German).

She never really had a chance.

I don't know much about CP Letizia except what I read here....she gives me the impression of being very shy and since traditional Spanish high society and the aristocracy weren't exactly bowled over by her marriage to Felipe maybe she just isn't that comfortable out on the "circuit".

As for her relations with other European Royal houses who knows? Maybe there are more intimate gatherings that don't make it to the press.

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected Letizia and Mathidle really sweat picture

Oh, I love BOTH their gowns..exquisite!! A little off topic but these two Princesses have a painful loss in common...Princess Mathilde lost her sister Alix(along with her grandmother) in a car crash, and then of of Princess Letizia's devastating loss of her own younger sister Erika.

Letizia is neither shy nor unsociable. Whether attending an event abroad or not was probably the decision made by Zarzuela. The princes did social with the upper class Spanish society, in fact most of Felipe's friends are from the upper class such as the children of both Infanta Pilar and Magarita, the Bulgarian family, the friends Felipe went to school with and some top business associates. The Kings are not particularly close to the Spanish aristocratics, they abolished the royal court to get rid of the influence of the nobles when they ascended to the throne.
Here is an article of the Princes at a birthday party of Juan Ignacio Juancho Entrecanales (vice President of Acciona) for his wife on Mary 24th.
Los príncipes se codean con la 'young jet' en el cumpleaños flamenco de Juancho Entrecanales - elConfidencial.com

Letizia is neither shy nor unsociable. Whether attending an event abroad or not was probably the decision made by Zarzuela. The princes did social with the upper class Spanish society, in fact most of Felipe's friends are from the upper class such as the children of both Infanta Pilar and Magarita, the Bulgarian family, the friends Felipe went to school with and some top business associates. The Kings are not particularly close to the Spanish aristocratics, they abolished the royal court to get rid of the influence of the nobles when they ascended to the throne.
Here is an article of the Princes at a birthday party of Juan Ignacio Juancho Entrecanales (vice President of Acciona) for his wife on Mary 24th.
Los príncipes se codean con la 'young jet' en el cumpleaños flamenco de Juancho Entrecanales - elConfidencial.com

Thank you donnak! Again I know very little about the Princess except that she is very beautiful and dresses well and seems crazy about Felipe...also I had no idea that the King has so much control over the social lives of his family. I guess JC is a King in that old-fashioned sense of the word, his word is LAW!

The SRF's infrequent attendance of private/unofficial royal partites outside of Spain is commendable. This is especially true if there is a conflict in schedules, that is, fulfilling an act in Spain or partying with other royals. Moreover, there are many ways of making friends and sustaining friendships especially in this modern age of electronic communication.

I don't like to bring up this tragic parallel, but when Alix of Hesse married the last Czar of Russia Nikolai II she received many of the same criticisms as CP Letizia, only much more hostile. She married Nikolas right after the funeral of his father Alexander and the Russians called her the Queen who "came to us behind a coffin"...she hated St Petersburg high society and frivolity and refused to attend.(due to her natural shyness and the fact that she was extremely religious) Soon the word came out that she was an austere aloof snob. Much worse was the fact that she was a foreigner(German).

She never really had a chance.

I

I think this is not a fair comparison.

Maybe they'll bring the Infanta's to London with them and take them out to dinner after the wedding? Isn't the BRF close to the Spanish royals?

We do not know how the wedding will be, and whom they will invite. The birthday of Infanta Sofía it is not a problem, they can celebrate it on Saturday.

The assistance to an event like that only is cancelled if there is a serious problem ... or like it happened in Charles and Diana wedding for a diplomatic conflict.

Only let's hope that they do not repeat the honeymoon of Charles and Diana...

In CP Victoria's wedding, Letizia talked a lot with Princess Mathilde and at the pre-wedding concert, same with Princess Mary. :)

Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding will not an official state occasion but their might be some royals though I'm not sure how senior since William has not gone to other royal events that involve other royals that much.

Letizia talked with Mette Marit during Victoria's after wedding dinner and with Princess Noor of Jordan (I think).

We do not know how the wedding will be, and whom they will invite. The birthday of Infanta Sofía it is not a problem, they can celebrate it on Saturday.

The assistance to an event like that only is cancelled if there is a serious problem ... or like it happened in Charles and Diana wedding for a diplomatic conflict.

Only let's hope that they do not repeat the honeymoon of Charles and Diana...

They should not have to reschedule their daughter's birthday for a wedding.:nonono:

When I was a child I didn't really care what date I got the cake and presents on. I doubt if it's that important to a 4 year old.

Back
Top Bottom