King Felipe's Christmas Messages 2014 - present

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Christmas message was taped after he learned the results of the elections. It would be interesting to read the message he would have read if the results had been different. Of course, he is fully within his right to promote unity (I wouldn't expect him to do anything else) but the law should serve the people instead of the other wsy around. That's what he should work towards; and hopefully a way forward is found that has the support of the large majority in Catalonia... (and preferably also the rest of Spain)

It is good to hear that he seems to finally recognize that the Catalonians that have a different opinion are also part of his citizens - although he still hasn't spoken out against the police brutalizing them (which he justified indirectly instead).

Regarding the city/ies being in favour of staying a part of Spain. That was to be expected as that is where you would find most Spaniards from other parts of Spain (who might stay or move when better opportunities come along).

And for clarification (not to turn political but to avoid being misunderstood): I personally don't support independence for Catalonia but I do support the right for all to decide on the future of their people/country/region. The law should ensure that such is a process is possible and meets the highest standards.

Of course the message would have been very different, like applauding people for finally having come to their democratic senses, but there was not enough time for a changed result and I don't think there will be a solution with Rajoy. Of course he has to stand for law and constitution but the way he has been handling this within the boundaries he can move within has been abysmal.

This year's message was very important. I saw the message carefully and the King touched on very important points.

This year's message was very important. I saw the message carefully and the King touched on very important points.

I wish the King would speak about Christmas and Christian teachings rather than making a speech solely about secular themes and political issues.

He seems to be having a bit of a dig at Juan Carlos with the comment about ethics being more important than family.

He seems to be having a bit of a dig at Juan Carlos with the comment about ethics being more important than family.

Yes and it will be a high burden to live up to, especially for his daughters when they take responsibility.

I started rewatching The Crown and I think the quote of Queen Mary is spot on for every monarchy, especially those in troubled waters, like in Spain, and even though JC is still alive, Felipe has to live up to exactly the same expectations:

Dearest Lilibet, I know how you loved your papa, my son. And I know you will be as devastated as I am by this loss. But you must put those sentiments to one side now, for duty calls. The grief for your father's death will be felt far and wide. Your people will need your strength and leadership. I have seen three great monarchies brought down through their failure to separate personal indulgences from duty. You must not allow yourself to make similar mistakes. And while you mourn your father, you must also mourn someone else. Elizabeth Mountbatten. For she has now been replaced by another person, Elizabeth Regina. The two Elizabeths will frequently be in conflict with one another. The fact is, the crown must win. Must always win.

english version of his speech

https://www.casareal.es/sitios/list...4/20201224_mensaje_navidad_eng_rey_felipe.pdf

I really enjoyed this year in review. I hope they continue to do it because hopefully people will see how hard the Spanish RF work. It is such a shame for them to have all those problems because of JC because Letizia & Felipe truly put in the work.

King Felipe's Christmas message recorded this December 24th an average audience of 10,760,000 viewers and a 71st screen share in the total of 29 channels that broadcast the speech.

According to data from Kantar Media offered by Windward Communication, the King's message of this 2020 has been the most seen since records (1992), since in 1993 alone they managed to exceed ten million viewers (10,254,000).

https://www.abc.es/espana/abci-bate...llones-espectadores-202012261122_noticia.html

The setting is always perfect for the King's Christmas message and the nativity scene in the background is simple but beautiful.

Felipe VI failed in my opinion to convey a sense of empathy in face of the pandemic. His speech sounded a little robotic and protocolary.

Last edited:
The Christmas Message of the King later tonight

The room was beautifully decorated with the tree and Nativity,really lovely.

The Christmas Message of the King tomorrow 24 December

By far the most serious and stressful speech since 2017. The King knows the monarchy is in danger, I felt for him.

Outside respect for the Constitution there is no democracy or possible coexistence; there are no freedoms but imposition; there is no law, but arbitrariness. Outside of the Constitution there is no Spain in peace and freedom.

It was also the most austere and least christmassy looking set-up amongst catholic monarchs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom