King Felipe's 50th Birthday January 30, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a sweet moment between father and daughter.
And like most dads in such a situation he looks like he's close to bursting with pride.
It's good to see that King Felipe may be king, but he is also very much a dad.

I thought it was a sweet moment between Felipe and Leonor.

The ceremony was nice overall, (of only all official ceremonies were so mercifully brief), although I think if they were going to make Leonor the protagonist of such a high profile event it would have been appropriate for her to say a few words of thanks at the end.

I didn’t see Pilar or Elena’s children seated with the family.. I assume they weren’t there?

I looked at some pictures of the event on various sites and then had a look at the comments - cloying adoration from one faction, absolute savagery from another and a lot of people asking how much this girl is costing them. I don’t envy an adolescent girl growing up with all that in the background, none of it seems healthy, but OTOH I think the royal house now realizes the girls are part of the show, whether they like it or not.

Absolute NOPE to Leonor making a speech, even a little one, today. Her first official words NEED to be in Asturias, possibly at the awards ceremony. That is absolutely set in stone for me. I hope it won't take long now.

I thought it was a sweet moment between Felipe and Leonor.

The ceremony was nice overall, (of only all official ceremonies were so mercifully brief), although I think if they were going to make Leonor the protagonist of such a high profile event it would have been appropriate for her to say a few words of thanks at the end.

I didn’t see Pilar or Elena’s children seated with the family.. I assume they weren’t there?

I looked at some pictures of the event on various sites and then had a look at the comments - cloying adoration from one faction, absolute savagery from another and a lot of people asking how much this girl is costing them. I don’t envy an adolescent girl growing up with all that in the background, none of it seems healthy, but OTOH I think the royal house now realizes the girls are part of the show, whether they like it or not.

If you listen carefully to the King's speech, it is a very heavy burden on a 12-year-old girl as he was basically saying she will have to devote her life to Spain and the Spanish people, always guide herself by the constitution, blah blah blah (not the exact words, but you get the picture). But, then, the King spoke as a father and said that Leonor could always count on her mother, on her sister, on her grandparents, and especially on him as her father to help her in the duties that are now hers. Interestingly, Felipe didn't mention Leonor's aunts or her cousins, but they are not part of the Royal House anymore.

On your second comment, girls have always been "part of the show" in the Spanish royal house. There were actually several Princesses of Asturias in their own right before Leonor. Spain is, however, the only major European kingdom that still retains male-preference primogeniture. If Letizia had had a son, he would be standing in Leonor's place to receive the Golden Fleece. Infanta Elena, who is JC's firstborn and was watching her brother from the audience today, is a testimony to that.

Last edited:
Absolute NOPE to Leonor making a speech, even a little one, today. Her first official words NEED to be in Asturias, possibly at the awards ceremony. That is absolutely set in stone for me. I hope it won't take long now.

Because of her affiliation with Asturias?
Or for political reasons?
Or because it's tradition?

Because of her affiliation with Asturias?
Or for political reasons?
Or because it's tradition?
A mixture of all. Felipe's first speech ever was at the awards, and the awards is the most significant event of the heir. When Leonor takes officially over the presidency of the awards, it will be, like with her father's times as heir, her most important occassion to speak up during the year, without the king's presence. For many years those awards built Felipe's image as heir, I think it's appropriate and grateful that Leonor's first official speech takes place there too. That would be where the "tradition" comes from.

But especially, the link of the Crown's heir to Asturias is very important and should be honoured as long as the monarchy lasts. Covadonga, the place were Felipe was proclaimed Prince of Asturias (IDK if it'll be the same for Leo) is the symbolic birth place of the Spanish monarchy (a little History bit here ) Since the Middle Ages, the heir to the Crown of Castile first, and Spain afterwards, have been styled as Prince of Asturias and the region's affiliation to the monarchy is very tight.

If you listen carefully to the King's speech, it is a very heavy burden on a 12-year-old girl as he was basically saying she will have to devote her life to Spain and the Spanish people, always guide herself by the constitution, blah blah blah (not the exact words, but you get the picture). But, then, the King spoke as a father and said that Leonor could always count on her mother, on her sister, on her grandparents, and especially on him as her father to help her in the duties that are now hers. Interestingly, Felipe didn't mention Leonor's aunts or her cousins, but they are not part of the Royal House anymore.

It is a heavy burden and, as much love and support as I’m sure she’ll get from Felipe, Leonor is growing up in very different times and, not insignificantly, she’s female. Leonor will have the same official pressures as her father as well as the constant focus on how she looks, what she’s wearing, her weight, her body shape, etc. I think the fashion/clothes side of things is fair game, the other stuff not so much.

My impression is that Felipe was also VERY protected by his family, his social circle and especially the Spanish media. I think with the events in Catalonia over the past year the Spanish press has returned to that somewhat - something to rally around in difficult times, etc - but it’s never going back to the times when anything other than happy shiny news about the SRF was off limits, and once the girls hit 18 I think it will be a constant battle.

I wouldn’t have expected to see any of the Urdangarin children at the ceremony but I thought we might see at least some of the cousins from both sides of the family. Family members of her own generation can help each other in ways that even the most well meaning parent can’t. I continue to hope against hope that their parents’ animosity hasn’t completely destroyed the relationship between Leonor and Irene U - they’re almost exactly the same age, they both know about the media spotlight, they’re both going to face some challenges in the upcoming years. Each would be an ideal source of support for the other.

Regarding the girls being part of the show, I meant these two specific girls. Their parents have kept them protected, some would say isolated, as much as possible from the public eye until now. That attitude is becoming less and less feasible, especially with Leonor.

Last edited:
A mixture of all. Felipe's first speech ever was at the awards, and the awards is the most significant event of the heir. When Leonor takes officially over the presidency of the awards, it will be, like with her father's times as heir, her most important occassion to speak up during the year, without the king's presence. For many years those awards built Felipe's image as heir, I think it's appropriate and grateful that Leonor's first official speech takes place there too. That would be where the "tradition" comes from.

But especially, the link of the Crown's heir to Asturias is very important and should be honoured as long as the monarchy lasts. Covadonga, the place were Felipe was proclaimed Prince of Asturias (IDK if it'll be the same for Leo) is the symbolic birth place of the Spanish monarchy (a little History bit here ) Since the Middle Ages, the heir to the Crown of Castile first, and Spain afterwards, have been styled as Prince of Asturias and the region's affiliation to the monarchy is very tight.

Leonor should have been taken to Asturias officially in some capacity long before now. But yes, after today’s very public and ornate event if she’s not at least at the awards this year, (and ideally she needs to speak), I think there will be a lot of people wanting answers..

It is a heavy burden and, as much love and support as I’m sure she’ll get from Felipe, Leonor is growing up in very different times and, not insignificantly, she’s female. Leonor will have the same official pressures as her father as well as the constant focus on how she looks, what she’s wearing, her weight, her body shape, etc. I think the fashion/clothes side of things is fair game, the other stuff not so much.

My impression is that Felipe was also VERY protected by his family, his social circle and especially the Spanish media. I think with the events in Catalonia over the past year the Spanish press has returned to that somewhat - something to rally around in difficult times, etc - but it’s never going back to the times when anything other than happy shiny news about the SRF was off limits, and once the girls hit 18 I think it will be a constant battle.

I agree, it will be worse for Leonor, in addition to the 'how is she looking', since her job makes her Head of the Armed Forces meaning she'll have attend some serious military training/attend military school to be taken seriously, to this very day dominated by men and very sexist. Then, in addition to the job, it is expected of her to find a husband willing to play second fiddle and have children, usually the consort's job. Of course, QE II, Margrethe or Beatrix have done it before, but even in those in-awe-of-royal times with a tame press it came at great cost.

Leonor has her life mapped out in front of her, an advantage and disadvantage at the same time, while her sister will be in a kind of limbo and fair game to the press from the age of 18. Sofia is free to do what she wants but will always have to deal with being royal and private at the same time. Whoever will be associated with her, will be caught in the limelight.

I think it was a very nice and dignified ceremony, Leonor will need all the help she can get.

I agree, it will be worse for Leonor, in addition to the 'how is she looking', since her job makes her Head of the Armed Forces meaning she'll have attend some serious military training/attend military school to be taken seriously, to this very day dominated by men and very sexit. [....]

Wilhelmina, Marie-Adelheid, Charlotte, Juliana, Elizabeth, Margrethe, Beatrix and the future Queen Victoria: none of them have enrolled into a military academy and none of them held an active commission in the armed forces. So there is really no need for that.

They have professionals in the armed forces, there is no any military role for today's monarchs other than a purely ceremonial one. It is even so: in the Netherlands the heir had to end all his military commissions because as King he is an integral part of Government, the supreme authority. In Dutch eyes an officer can not be subservient to a supreme authority when he himself is part of said supreme authority.

With other words: even males have no real role, so in this aspect I see little difference between Doña Leonor and her male colleagues. Just theatre of state.

Last edited:
King Felipe's message of thanks

Heartfelt thanks for all the congratulations I received today. Each one reinforces me in my commitment to serve every Spaniard every day. And I take this opportunity to congratulate those who share their birthday with me today.

Congratulations from the Royal Guard

Thanks, Annie_S for your explanation. :flowers:
And camelot23ca, Duke of Marmalade and Duc et Pair for your thoughts. ?

That's an early age to begin to give a presumably not that short a speech, but IMO she might just as well get started and I imagine she in Asturia will find a very sympathetic audience - and also because she is still a child.

I noticed the Infantas Elena and Margarita with her husband the Duke of Soria but I did not see the Infanta Pilar.
Queens Letizia and Sofia looked so proud today as if they were ready to burst and nice to see queen Letizia's mother seated along the kings sister and aunt.

A nice ceremony indeed, and what a proud father in Felipe.

Leonor is such a delicately beautiful child. They all look so proud, I think her maternal grandmother wiped a tear off her face.

I am glad that some of you mentioned that Sofia looks proud as I feel for her as this day is probably the first in which a very clear distinction is made between the two sisters: one destined for the throne and the other to serve the crown until her sister ascends the throne, afterwards she is out...

I am glad that some of you mentioned that Sofia looks proud as I feel for her as this day is probably the first in which a very clear distinction is made between the two sisters: one destined for the throne and the other to serve the crown until her sister ascends the throne, afterwards she is out...

I was actually thinking about that too this morning. The rule of primogeniture inevitably implies that the heir will always be treated differently from his/her younger siblings as he/she is "more important", so to speak , to the continuity of the State.

However, having observed Queen Sofia, Queen Silvia, Queen Beatrix, or even Queen Elizabeth II, and now, in the younger generation, Maxima, Mathilde and Mary, my impression is that they are/were very good at separating the private life from the public life of the Royal Family and, in the private sphere, the family dynamic doesn't seem to be that much influenced by the order of succession, or by rank or precedence.

There may be even cases where queens appear to be actually personally closer to some of their younger children than to the heir. Paola and Astrid (and, by extension, Astrid's family), versus Paola and Philippe, seem to be an example, but, to a certain extent; that is also true perhaps with Sofia and her daughters (versus Felipe), or with Elizabeth and Anne or Andrew in the past (now also with Edward/Sophie) compared to Charles, whose relationship with his mother seems to be more "professional". Of course, I may be wrong as I don't know any of those people in their intimacy.

In any case, the King's speech sent a message also to the Infanta Sofia that is the harsh reality of hereditary monarchy: the burden to reign will pass to Leonor and Sofia's role in the Royal House, as long as she is a member thereof, will be to "support her sister", which is the role of all royal siblings. It is not a bad deal though, as one gets a lot of the perks, without all the responsibilities.

Last edited:
:previous: I think that's also very much a question of sheer necessity.
The heir or monarch know better than everyone else what it means to be heir or monarch and of course he/she will try and educate and influence the next heir as much as possible. And that at least on the face of it, can seem like he/she is favoring the oldest.
I also think it's to some degree natural that the royal spouse at least to some degree will try and compensate for the attention the oldest get, especially when the younger are still relatively small children.

rather lovely ceremony. felipe is clearly proud of leonor, and both leonor and sofia are well behaved, tamed children (although a bit too much - one wonders if perhaps they are too 'groomed' compared to other royal kids who are... well, more 'kidlike').

i liked seeing leonor curtsy for the first time in public. i wonder if sofia should curtsy to her sister?

rather lovely ceremony. felipe is clearly proud of leonor, and both leonor and sofia are well behaved, tamed children (although a bit too much - one wonders if perhaps they are too 'groomed' compared to other royal kids who are... well, more 'kidlike').

i liked seeing leonor curtsy for the first time in public. i wonder if sofia should curtsy to her sister?

No, the Infanta Doña Elena and the Infanta Doña Cristina never went through the knees for their own brother when he was Prince of Asturias. When Doña Leonor will be Queen one day, and the tradition is still observed, Doña Sofía will possibly go through her knees for her sister.

I think Sofia will be fine. She seems like quite a self possessed young girl - I would guess she was the elder daughter if I didn’t know better - and in the recent video and the ceremony today I get the sense she might not take herself or the business of being royal quite as super seriously as the rest of the family.

The person I felt a little sad for was Leonor. You could tell she was trying so hard to do everything perfectly - it was sweet but a little heartbreaking. I really do wish Felipe and Letizia would let her interact with the public more often in less formal and less pressured situations. Take her to a farm or a small museum or some sort of organization a twelve year old would find cool and give her a chance to feel her way through it without the whole thing being micromanaged. Doing something that was fun and involved just talking naturally to a few friendly people might take a bit of the weight off her shoulders.

I was actually thinking about that too this morning. The rule of primogeniture inevitably implies that the heir will always be treated differently from his/her younger siblings as he/she is "more important", so to speak , to the continuity of the State.

However, having observed Queen Sofia, Queen Silvia, Queen Beatrix, or even Queen Elizabeth II, and now, in the younger generation, Maxima, Mathilde and Mary, my impression is that they are/were very good at separating the private life from the public life of the Royal Family and, in the private sphere, the family dynamic doesn't seem to be that much influenced by the order of succession, or by rank or precedence.

There may be even cases where queens appear to be actually personally closer to some of their younger children than to the heir. Paola and Astrid (and, by extension, Astrid's family), versus Paola and Philippe, seem to be an example, but, to a certain extent; that is also true perhaps with Sofia and her daughters (versus Felipe), or with Elizabeth and Anne or Andrew in the past (now also with Edward/Sophie) compared to Charles, whose relationship with his mother seems to be more "professional". Of course, I may be wrong as I don't know any of those people in their intimacy.

In any case, the King's speech sent a message also to the Infanta Sofia that is the harsh reality of hereditary monarchy: the burden to reign will pass to Leonor and Sofia's role in the Royal House, as long as she is a member thereof, will be to "support her sister", which is the role of all royal siblings. It is not a bad deal though, as one gets a lot of the perks, without all the responsibilities.
It is indeed unavoidable. I guess my main issue is that she eventually will be kicked out but still has to remain available for the just in case. If she would be allowed to at least stay an official member of the royal family, it would already feel different. In that case one could indeed argue that that position has a lot of advantages. Still contribute but also have some space to carve out your own life unlike the heir him/herself.

In general, I would like to see the children of monarchs to be a member of the royal house for life and not be done away with at some point. Of course they will have to carve out a career that is compatible with that position which isn't easy but being dumped is just harsh; evenmore so when that moment is the ascension of your brother or sister (not your niece or nephew - although at that point you are of an age in which they should respect you for your lifelong duty).

It is the Spanish way. The three children of King Juan Carlos also were so much more groomed and instructed than contemporaries in other monarchies. You can also see that King Felipe is incomparable with his more relaxed colleagues in Northern Europe.

I think Sofia will be fine. She seems like quite a self possessed young girl - I would guess she was the elder daughter if I didn’t know better - and in the recent video and the ceremony today I get the sense she might not take herself or the business of being royal quite as super seriously as the rest of the family.

The person I felt a little sad for was Leonor. You could tell she was trying so hard to do everything perfectly - it was sweet but a little heartbreaking. I really do wish Felipe and Letizia would let her interact with the public more often in less formal and less pressured situations. Take her to a farm or a small museum or some sort of organization a twelve year old would find cool and give her a chance to feel her way through it without the whole thing being micromanaged. Doing something that was fun and involved just talking naturally to a few friendly people might take a bit of the weight off her shoulders.

Yes, I agree that Leonor is probably the one we should feel for (as well). Sofia seems to approach the royal life a bit easier/more lighthearted than Leonor, probably partly due to her position and partly due to character. It would be wonderful if both girls would have some less formal, more age appropriate royal activities going forward.

It is the Spanish way. The three children of King Juan Carlos also were so much more groomed and instructed than contemporaries in other monarchies. You can also see that King Felipe is incomparable with his more relaxed colleagues in Northern Europe.
The Belgian royal children are also very well behaved and very clearly instructed but they have done some other activities over the years as well. So, it could be combined.

Back
Top Bottom