The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-30-2018, 05:58 AM
Heir Apparent

The collar and small bow awaiting in the Hall of Columns of the Royal Palace:
https://twitter.com/MonarquiaEspana/...html%23p330945

Live now on TVE!

The infantas Elena and Margarita in the front row. I didn't see Pilar, I guess she's there too. Queen Letizia's parents are there too.

Leonor has bowed to her parents!! She's the most beautiful thing!

Vote in TRF Fashion Polls!

Old 01-30-2018, 06:07 AM
Majesty

I am glad to see HRH Infanta Elena in the audience, dispelling any rumors of rifts in the family.

Also, it is good to see King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia at official events again.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:09 AM
Royal Highness

Princess Leonor receives the Collar that belonged to her great-grandfather, the Count of Barcelona.

Both grandparents (Kings Emeritus) and Letizia looks really proud.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:14 AM
Majesty

How lovely ! Young Leonor curtsied to her father after receiving the miniature of the Golden Fleece attached to a dame's ribbon bow. Queen Letizia really looks proud .

The King's speech was correct. Personally, I think Leonor is still too young for ceremonies like that, but the King struck the right note emphasizing how Leonor could always count on her family (her mother, father, sister and grandparents) to support her in the great responsibilities that will be demanded from her. It was actually a very emotional speech by the King, but, at the same time, very clear about the role and duties of the Crown.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:21 AM
Heir Apparent

The wink between Juan Carlos and Leonor when Felipe has mentioned him! This is the best event they have ever made! And the King's speech to his daughter is wonderful. Leonor looks like she's taking it very seriously.

The big moment:
https://twitter.com/A3Noticias/statu...t4475-204.html

Old 01-30-2018, 06:31 AM
Heir Apparent

A deep curtsey and kisses for her parents & grandparents by Leonor after receiving the bow of the Order of the Golden Fleece https://twitter.com/el_pais/status/958297504142974976
Old 01-30-2018, 07:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

That's a sweet moment between father and daughter.
And like most dads in such a situation he looks like he's close to bursting with pride.
It's good to see that King Felipe may be king, but he is also very much a dad.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Infanta Sofia also proudly clapping:
http://www.abc.es/media/MM/2018/01/3...98x900@abc.jpg

With the kids from all over Spain that were invited to the ceremony. I'm loving all of this!
http://ep00.epimg.net/elpais/imagene...bum_normal.jpg

Old 01-30-2018, 08:02 AM
Courtier

Awww that's so sweet . Felipe looks very proud (actually everyone looks very proud!). I love how Felipe and Sofia touch her face after the hug. Leonor knows how to curtsy beautifully and elegantly .
Old 01-30-2018, 08:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Old 01-30-2018, 08:13 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
That's a sweet moment between father and daughter.
And like most dads in such a situation he looks like he's close to bursting with pride.
It's good to see that King Felipe may be king, but he is also very much a dad.
I thought it was a sweet moment between Felipe and Leonor.

The ceremony was nice overall, (of only all official ceremonies were so mercifully brief), although I think if they were going to make Leonor the protagonist of such a high profile event it would have been appropriate for her to say a few words of thanks at the end.

I didn’t see Pilar or Elena’s children seated with the family.. I assume they weren’t there?

I looked at some pictures of the event on various sites and then had a look at the comments - cloying adoration from one faction, absolute savagery from another and a lot of people asking how much this girl is costing them. I don’t envy an adolescent girl growing up with all that in the background, none of it seems healthy, but OTOH I think the royal house now realizes the girls are part of the show, whether they like it or not.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Absolute NOPE to Leonor making a speech, even a little one, today. Her first official words NEED to be in Asturias, possibly at the awards ceremony. That is absolutely set in stone for me. I hope it won't take long now.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
I thought it was a sweet moment between Felipe and Leonor.

The ceremony was nice overall, (of only all official ceremonies were so mercifully brief), although I think if they were going to make Leonor the protagonist of such a high profile event it would have been appropriate for her to say a few words of thanks at the end.

I didn’t see Pilar or Elena’s children seated with the family.. I assume they weren’t there?

I looked at some pictures of the event on various sites and then had a look at the comments - cloying adoration from one faction, absolute savagery from another and a lot of people asking how much this girl is costing them. I don’t envy an adolescent girl growing up with all that in the background, none of it seems healthy, but OTOH I think the royal house now realizes the girls are part of the show, whether they like it or not.
If you listen carefully to the King's speech, it is a very heavy burden on a 12-year-old girl as he was basically saying she will have to devote her life to Spain and the Spanish people, always guide herself by the constitution, blah blah blah (not the exact words, but you get the picture). But, then, the King spoke as a father and said that Leonor could always count on her mother, on her sister, on her grandparents, and especially on him as her father to help her in the duties that are now hers. Interestingly, Felipe didn't mention Leonor's aunts or her cousins, but they are not part of the Royal House anymore.

On your second comment, girls have always been "part of the show" in the Spanish royal house. There were actually several Princesses of Asturias in their own right before Leonor. Spain is, however, the only major European kingdom that still retains male-preference primogeniture. If Letizia had had a son, he would be standing in Leonor's place to receive the Golden Fleece. Infanta Elena, who is JC's firstborn and was watching her brother from the audience today, is a testimony to that.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
Absolute NOPE to Leonor making a speech, even a little one, today. Her first official words NEED to be in Asturias, possibly at the awards ceremony. That is absolutely set in stone for me. I hope it won't take long now.
Because of her affiliation with Asturias?
Or for political reasons?
Or because it's tradition?
Old 01-30-2018, 08:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Because of her affiliation with Asturias?
Or for political reasons?
Or because it's tradition?
A mixture of all. Felipe's first speech ever was at the awards, and the awards is the most significant event of the heir. When Leonor takes officially over the presidency of the awards, it will be, like with her father's times as heir, her most important occassion to speak up during the year, without the king's presence. For many years those awards built Felipe's image as heir, I think it's appropriate and grateful that Leonor's first official speech takes place there too. That would be where the "tradition" comes from.

But especially, the link of the Crown's heir to Asturias is very important and should be honoured as long as the monarchy lasts. Covadonga, the place were Felipe was proclaimed Prince of Asturias (IDK if it'll be the same for Leo) is the symbolic birth place of the Spanish monarchy (a little History bit here ) Since the Middle Ages, the heir to the Crown of Castile first, and Spain afterwards, have been styled as Prince of Asturias and the region's affiliation to the monarchy is very tight.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:03 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
If you listen carefully to the King's speech, it is a very heavy burden on a 12-year-old girl as he was basically saying she will have to devote her life to Spain and the Spanish people, always guide herself by the constitution, blah blah blah (not the exact words, but you get the picture). But, then, the King spoke as a father and said that Leonor could always count on her mother, on her sister, on her grandparents, and especially on him as her father to help her in the duties that are now hers. Interestingly, Felipe didn't mention Leonor's aunts or her cousins, but they are not part of the Royal House anymore.
It is a heavy burden and, as much love and support as I’m sure she’ll get from Felipe, Leonor is growing up in very different times and, not insignificantly, she’s female. Leonor will have the same official pressures as her father as well as the constant focus on how she looks, what she’s wearing, her weight, her body shape, etc. I think the fashion/clothes side of things is fair game, the other stuff not so much.

My impression is that Felipe was also VERY protected by his family, his social circle and especially the Spanish media. I think with the events in Catalonia over the past year the Spanish press has returned to that somewhat - something to rally around in difficult times, etc - but it’s never going back to the times when anything other than happy shiny news about the SRF was off limits, and once the girls hit 18 I think it will be a constant battle.

I wouldn’t have expected to see any of the Urdangarin children at the ceremony but I thought we might see at least some of the cousins from both sides of the family. Family members of her own generation can help each other in ways that even the most well meaning parent can’t. I continue to hope against hope that their parents’ animosity hasn’t completely destroyed the relationship between Leonor and Irene U - they’re almost exactly the same age, they both know about the media spotlight, they’re both going to face some challenges in the upcoming years. Each would be an ideal source of support for the other.

Regarding the girls being part of the show, I meant these two specific girls. Their parents have kept them protected, some would say isolated, as much as possible from the public eye until now. That attitude is becoming less and less feasible, especially with Leonor.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:15 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
A mixture of all. Felipe's first speech ever was at the awards, and the awards is the most significant event of the heir. When Leonor takes officially over the presidency of the awards, it will be, like with her father's times as heir, her most important occassion to speak up during the year, without the king's presence. For many years those awards built Felipe's image as heir, I think it's appropriate and grateful that Leonor's first official speech takes place there too. That would be where the "tradition" comes from.

But especially, the link of the Crown's heir to Asturias is very important and should be honoured as long as the monarchy lasts. Covadonga, the place were Felipe was proclaimed Prince of Asturias (IDK if it'll be the same for Leo) is the symbolic birth place of the Spanish monarchy (a little History bit here ) Since the Middle Ages, the heir to the Crown of Castile first, and Spain afterwards, have been styled as Prince of Asturias and the region's affiliation to the monarchy is very tight.
Leonor should have been taken to Asturias officially in some capacity long before now. But yes, after today’s very public and ornate event if she’s not at least at the awards this year, (and ideally she needs to speak), I think there will be a lot of people wanting answers..
Old 01-30-2018, 09:27 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
It is a heavy burden and, as much love and support as I’m sure she’ll get from Felipe, Leonor is growing up in very different times and, not insignificantly, she’s female. Leonor will have the same official pressures as her father as well as the constant focus on how she looks, what she’s wearing, her weight, her body shape, etc. I think the fashion/clothes side of things is fair game, the other stuff not so much.

My impression is that Felipe was also VERY protected by his family, his social circle and especially the Spanish media. I think with the events in Catalonia over the past year the Spanish press has returned to that somewhat - something to rally around in difficult times, etc - but it’s never going back to the times when anything other than happy shiny news about the SRF was off limits, and once the girls hit 18 I think it will be a constant battle.
I agree, it will be worse for Leonor, in addition to the 'how is she looking', since her job makes her Head of the Armed Forces meaning she'll have attend some serious military training/attend military school to be taken seriously, to this very day dominated by men and very sexist. Then, in addition to the job, it is expected of her to find a husband willing to play second fiddle and have children, usually the consort's job. Of course, QE II, Margrethe or Beatrix have done it before, but even in those in-awe-of-royal times with a tame press it came at great cost.

Leonor has her life mapped out in front of her, an advantage and disadvantage at the same time, while her sister will be in a kind of limbo and fair game to the press from the age of 18. Sofia is free to do what she wants but will always have to deal with being royal and private at the same time. Whoever will be associated with her, will be caught in the limelight.

I think it was a very nice and dignified ceremony, Leonor will need all the help she can get.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

King Felipe of Spain Delivers Collar of The Distinguished 'Toison de Oro' To Princess Leonor

King Felipe of Spain Delivers Collar of The Distinguished 'Toison de Oro' To Princess Leonor - Zimbio