King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia, Current Events, Part 4; February 2021 - present

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
The queen was no doubt briefed ahead of the Reception and did not take any offence at such peculiar customs.

In the extended video I see Queen Letizia showing stress as the lineup moves 'till it reaches the Iranian Ambassador's turn.

The short video

In the extended video I see Queen Letizia showing stress as the lineup moves 'till it reaches the Iranian Ambassador's turn.

The short video

I don't agree, he gives her a nod with his head as greeting.

I don't agree, he gives her a nod with his head as greeting.

Its an archaic custom but not meant to cause offence and the queen would be well used to it.

In the video he put his hand across his heart and nodded to the Queen. She in turn nodded back at him.

I fail to see what the issue is.

Thanks for noticing these details I missed from the first articles this morning.

Queen Letizia & Iranian Ambassador do not shake hands - but could've been 'more dramatic'

Excerpt

"In Iranian culture, men and women generally will not shake hands unless the female outstretches her hand first and the man is willing to reciprocate the gesture, according to the Cultural Atlas.
Judi (James) continued: "It would seem to be the woman who would instigate a handshake, with the man choosing to reciprocate or not.
"This means the safest option in terms of any genuine refusal might be to do what Queen Letizia has done and keep her hand at her side."
Queen Letizia did not stretch out her hand to the Ambassador, in a likely attempt to avoid any awkwardness..."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom