King Felipe, Queen Letizia and Family, General News, Part 2: September 2017 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
220px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Spanish_Monarch.svg.png

Arms of King Felipe VI

Welcome in the thread King Felipe, Queen Letizia and Family, General News, Part 2

Commencing September 20, 2017

The previous thread can be found here

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Maria Cavaco Silva, former first lady of Portugal, said of Letizia: "Queen Leticia, for example, complains about this kind of cuts and I perceive her. One day she would say to me:" Maria, now you're leaving. , and "I've been," and she "how old were you here?" and I "was ten," and she turns to her husband and says, "Felipe, I will not be able to stand these years all of them! "and I told him later" he will not be able to take ten years, he will take much more! "Leticia does not seem to be very happy about this perennial, but I am sure that King Felipe will want this perennial."

https://ionline.sapo.pt/artigo/592694/disse-a-leticia-que-tera-de-aguentar-muito-mais-que-dez-anos

There was another First Lady, can't recall which one, who said in an interview that Letizia told her that she envied her because the First Lady's job is limited and her own job is for life. She has a point I guess, her inlaws are still working and under scrutiny at the age of nearly 80 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
The King attended the funeral of Aurelio Menéndez Menéndez, Marquess of Ibias at the cathedral of La Almudena in Madrid .

Pity we didn't see his wife and daughters with him like last year,skiing season is nearly over!

The first coin for Princess Leonor

"The new 30-euro coin issued by the National Currency and Stamp Factory
will have a very special protagonist, Princess Leonor, who at 12 will be represented for the first time in one currency. The reason for which the coin will be dedicated is the "1300th anniversary of the Kingdom of Asturias" and Leonor as Princess of Asturias will share the obverse of the coin with her father King Felipe VI. It is expected that it can be acquired from October 22, although since next Monday it can already be booked at banks."

https://i1.wp.com/www.numismatica-visual.es/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/1es.jpg?w=600

https://i1.wp.com/www.numismatica-visual.es/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/2es.jpg?w=600

I wonder if there will be much interest I recall the the Felipe/Letizia proclamation memorabilia didn't sell very well.

The commemorative coin will go down well with avid coin collecters.

Umm, that doesn't look like Leonor at all... I actually couldn't recognize her and had to do a double take

TBH, it looks like a middle aged lady

Felipe really looks tense/stressed these days, even at fun events. Maybe it is the white beard but he has visibly aged since becoming King.

He might still be having back pains :previous:

The 1st day of school after the recent trip to Asturias for Leonor and Sofia.

It's nice to see the family going into school with the other children and Letizia just entering as if she was a regular parent at the school, it made for a really down to earth back-to-school shoot. Sofia doesn't look too happy though, it looks like she probably didn't want to have to face the paparazzi on her first day back - I don't blame her though. I wouldn't want clicking cameras in my face early in the morning on a first day either.
Spain starts quite late in September in comparison to other parts of Europe, who would've been back for almost a couple of weeks or even three weeks (if starting in late August) by now. Normally here in England it's the universities who go back at this time as I start my new semester on Sunday and the schools went back in the first week of the month.

Last edited:
Spain starts quite late in September in comparison to other parts of Europe, who would've been back for at least a couple of weeks or even three weeks (if starting in late August) by now. Normally here in England it's the universities who go back at this time as I start my new semester on Sunday and the schools went back in the first week of the month.

In Croatia schools started on September 3rd, it’s usually on first Monday in September. And it was still too hot, being up to 30 Celsius this week. I believe the hot weather and the tourist seasons are the reasons why Mediterranean countries start so late. And we also finish school by June 15th, because it would be too hot afterwards and schools don’t have air conditioning.

In Croatia schools started on September 3rd, it’s usually on first Monday in September. And it was still too hot, being up to 30 Celsius this week. I believe the hot weather and the tourist seasons are the reasons why Mediterranean countries start so late. And we also finish school by June 15th, because it would be too hot afterwards and schools don’t have air conditioning.
True. In Portugal schools are about to start this week and the following week. It's always been like this, either if it's Elementary/High School or University (but University usually starts a week later than compulsory school).

Spain starts quite late in September in comparison to other parts of Europe, who would've been back for at least a couple of weeks or even three weeks (if starting in late August) by now. Normally here in England it's the universities who go back at this time as I start my new semester on Sunday and the schools went back in the first week of the month.

It's only the second week of September.

In general the pattern is:
* Summer holiday from last week of June until first week of September. [11 weeks]
* 2 weeks of Christmas holiday (last week of December, first of January - it always expands until at least the 6th of January because of 'Los reyes')
* 1 week of Easter holiday (Semana Santa) in march or april

And a few days off for national holidays throughout the year. So, only three holiday periods of about 14 weeks in total.

Very different from for example the Dutch pattern in which summer holiday is only 6 weeks but many more in between (1 wk autumn, 2 wks christmas, 1 week 'spring' (end of February), 2wks may); a total of 12 weeks plus several additional days off. So, the total number of days/weeks off is slightly higher in Spain but the main difference is the way it is organized (although I probably should say that the Dutch are the exception with their 6-week summer break; I don't know of any other country other than the Dutch former colony I know live in that has such short summer breaks- which in terms of education is preferable over long summer breaks; edit: just found out that Denmark has 6-7 weeks of summer break and less days off throughout the year (although I would hope the students have some days off between end of February and summer... so hopefully Wikipedia is mistaken).

Comparing with another European monarchy: summer break in Belgium are the months of July and August (about 9 weeks), in addition the students have 1 wk of autumn, 2 wks Christmas, 1 wk spring and 2 wks Easter breaks.

The American system is a bit in-between and probably comparable to many other countries (including for example Sweden) with a long summer break like the Spanish but adding a few more shorter breaks throughout the school year.

It's only the second week of September.

In general the pattern is:

* Summer holiday from last week of June until first week of September. [11 weeks]

* 2 weeks of Christmas holiday (last week of December, first of January - it always expands until at least the 6th of January because of 'Los reyes')

* 1 week of Easter holiday (Semana Santa) in march or april

And a few days off for national holidays throughout the year. So, only three holiday periods of about 14 weeks in total.

Very different from for example the Dutch pattern in which summer holiday is only 6 weeks but many more in between (1 wk autumn, 2 wks christmas, 1 week 'spring' (end of February), 2wks may); a total of 12 weeks plus several additional days off. So, the total number of days/weeks off is slightly higher in Spain but the main difference is the way it is organized (although I probably should say that the Dutch are the exception with their 6-week summer break; I don't know of any other country other than the Dutch former colony I know live in that has such short summer breaks- which in terms of education is preferable over long summer breaks; edit: just found out that Denmark has 6-7 weeks of summer break and less days off throughout the year (although I would hope the students have some days off between end of February and summer... so hopefully Wikipedia is mistaken).

Comparing with another European monarchy: summer break in Belgium are the months of July and August (about 9 weeks), in addition the students have 1 wk of autumn, 2 wks Christmas, 1 wk spring and 2 wks Easter breaks.

The American system is a bit in-between and probably comparable to many other countries (including for example Sweden) with a long summer break like the Spanish but adding a few more shorter breaks throughout the school year.

Yes, I’m aware of what time of the month it is.
I mentioned “at least a couple of weeks” because some schools in Europe, such as in Denmark, go back in mid to late August since I was referring to Europe in general in that part of my post rather than “my” country which I mention in the other part of my post has been back for almost two weeks.
It’s not a big issue though and I used such generalisation to refer to what time different schools started for the new academic year. Guess I should have been more specific.

Coming from a colder country heat isn’t something that’s taken into consideration for us (air conditioning is expensive where I live for a reason haha) so I guess I’ve always found it strange when other countries’ schools go back later, but the hot weather in Spain does make a lot of sense for the late school starts. I’ve been to Ibiza when it was 42 degrees in the summer and there’s no way I’d expect anyone to attend school in that kind of heat! Since British weather is infamous for being unpredictable, we’ve always broken up for the summer late (often early July for private schools and mid - late July for state schools) and gone back for autumn early.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom