Infanta Sofia's possible godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who do you think Felipe and Letizia will choose?

• Infanta Elena or Jaime de Marichalar

Votes: 47 31.1%
  • Infanta Cristina or Iñaki Urdangarín

Votes: 63 41.7%
  • Jesús Ortiz or Paloma Rocasolano

Votes: 28 18.5%
  • Menchú Alvarez (Letizia's paternal grandmother)

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Francisco or Enriqueta Rocasolano (Letizia's maternal grandparents)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Telma Ortiz (Letizia's sister)

Votes: 39 25.8%
  • Members of another Royal Family (please specify)

Votes: 27 17.9%
  • Other suggestion, please specify

Votes: 8 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Su Alteza Real la Princesa Máxima de los Países Bajos.
Don Bruno Gómez-Acebo y Borbón.

:flowers:

Last edited:
I vote Cristina and about the godfather maybe a Felipe cousins like Bruno Gomes - Acebo or Prince Nikolaos of Greece

crisiñaki said:
in catholic christenings there's only one godmother and one godfather, so the possibility of both sisters being godparents is non existant:flowers:

that might not be correct, as traditions also differ from one culture and country to another. perhaps it has become their family's tradition to only have two godparents but that may not be the case always. perhaps Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia may go against the tide and, say, have two godfathers and two godmothers for the new Infanta this time and coming from both sides of the family. it would be very nice indeed if someone from Letizia's family becomes a godparent of the Infanta.

in our country, we've had the tradition of having many godparents, which is also the same for the other royal families. two godparents are too few for us.:lol:

Henri M. said:
Su Alteza Real la Princesa Máxima de los Países Bajos.
Don Bruno Gómez-Acebo y Borbón.

:flowers:
Sorry, but why in the world would they choose Maxima as a godparent?

I think
Jesus y Paloma (most probable)
And Elena, Cristina y Telma for the next baby!

MissSaga said:
Who is Bruno Gomez-Acebo ? :)

The Excelentísimo Señor Don Bruno Alejandro Gómez-Acebo y de Borbón was born on 15 June 1971 in Madrid.
He is the son of the Excelentísimo Señor Don Luis Gómez-Acebo y de Estrada, Vizconde de la Torre
and of Her Royal Highness Doña María del Pilar de Borbón y de Borbón-Dos Sicilias, Infanta de España, Duquesa de Badajoz (sister of the King).

MissSaga said:
Sorry, but why in the world would they choose Maxima as a godparent?

I think
Jesus y Paloma (most probable)
And Elena, Cristina y Telma for the next baby!

It is good tradition amongst royal houses:

Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden is godmother of Princess Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands

Princess Mathilde of Belgium is godmother of Princess Alexia of the Netherlands

Princess Máxima of the Netherlands is godmother of Prince Sverre Magnus of Norway

Prince Felipe of Spain is godparent to Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway

Crown Prince Haakon of Norway is godparent to Prince Christian of Denmark

Etc.

Etc.

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
It is good tradition amongst royal houses:

Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden is godmother of Princess Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands

Princess Mathilde of Belgium is godmother of Princess Alexia of the Netherlands

Princess Máxima of the Netherlands is godmother of Prince Sverre Magnus of Norway

Prince Felipe of Spain is godparent to Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway

Crown Prince Haakon of Norway is godparent to Prince Christian of Denmark

Etc.

Etc.

They are totally different circumstances, the Catholics only has a godfather and a godmother, not a ready long billiard cue like there happens in other religions, which it allows to other princes to choose godfathers and godmothers between family, friends and members of the royalty.

Therefore the logical thing is that it is looked between the family and the most nearby friends, like that has been always in the Spanish Royal Family and also it is in the Belgian Royal Family, also catholic.

I think it will be Telma and a close friend of Felipe or one of his cousins like Bruno or one of the Bulgarian princes.

Bruno ? Did you all really mean Beltran Gomez-Acebo (husband of Laura Ponte) ? Beltran is cousin and one of the best friends of Felipe. He was also one of the witnesses at the wedding. Bruno is Beltran's older brother.
I think godmother will be Telma or Elena, godfather will be Pavlos of Greece or Beltran or Konstantin of Bulgaria. Inaki is also possible.

Last edited:
I don't see many men on Letizia's side, she has no brothers. But I think it would be nice if they have Letizia's sister as godmother and then Felipe can choose one of his friends. Either another royal or a cousin. So my answer is similar to donnaK's.

I think that they will choose someone near them!Not someone from other Royal family far from Spain!In my opinion godparents should be for real and not only names, should realy do their job on helping to raise the child and IMO Filipe and Letizia will chose someone near them and near the baby who can see the little Infanta many times during the year and not just some important Royal names who in the real life don't have anything to do with the baby in any time!

biboquinhas said:
I think that they will choose someone near them!Not someone from other Royal family far from Spain!In my opinion godparents should be for real and not only names, should realy do their job on helping to raise the child and IMO Filipe and Letizia will chose someone near them and near the baby who can see the little Infanta many times during the year and not just some important Royal names who in the real life don't have anything to do with the baby in any time!

I agree and I do hope they choose Telma for one of the godparents.

I think they will choose Thelma and maybe Bruno or Marichalar...I really will find very good if they choose thelma, more now after the sadness of Erika.

This is really hard to choose from!
For the Godfather I think it could be: either Beltran or Bruno-Gomez, Inaki or Jaime. I was thinking of one of the Princes of Greece but they aren't Catholic. However if the Godmother is Catholic then maybe they will be choosen.

For Godmother I think it could be: Elena, she seems close to Felipe but I really hope they choose Telma Ortiz. Someone from Letizia's side of the family would be nice

i voted for letizia's sister, id also choose prince pavlos & Cp Victoria. How lond after the baby is born the christining takes place ?

My guess is that Jesús Ortiz (Letizia's father) will be the new infanta's godfather, while Infanta Elena will be the godmother.

If I remember correctly, in the case of the Spanish royal babies, the time between birth and actual christening date has varied from one child to another. I think they choose a date which will be most convenient for everyone especially considering that Infanta Cristina's family is based in Barcelona. For this new baby, I'm guessing a summer outdoor christening (like Irene's)... probably just before they head out to Palma for their usual vacations.

Yes,i would like that they were Thelma and Bruno or Letizia´s mother and father.

Telma and a cousin of Felipe(A Gomez cousin : Bruno or Beltran) or
Telma and Inaki
Telma and Jaime
I don't really mean the godfather but I really hope it'll be Telma who will be the godmother

i'd be inclined to say either elena or cristina, but at the same time i think either letizia's mum or sister thelma will be chosen as well, so i doubt they choose 2 godmothers, as there has always been the tradition in the spanish family of choosing men-women.

i'd then say perhaps iñaki or jaime de marichalar and menchu, thelma or paloma.

I don't know. It's a problem because Felipe has 2 sisters and Letizia has one sister. If he oder she had a brother... But I think that Telma will be godmother and a friend of Felipe will be godfather

The godmother will be queen Sofia, no?? When the girl is named Sofia...

Eva-Britt said:
The godmother will be queen Sofia, no?? When the girl is named Sofia...

Queen Sofia is Leonor's godmother, so I do not think she will be Infanta Sofia's godmother even though little Sofia was named after her grandmother.

I believe that Infantin Elena, Telma Ortiz and one princess of the greek family of Queen Sophia.

Theodora of Greece Queen Anne - Marie Princess Madeline of Sweden Queen Sophia of Spain Telma Ortiz

I never thought about this before, but maybe Paloma Rocasolano? Leonor has her paternal grandparents as godparents, and now little Sofía also has her paternal grandmother's name... So maybe it is Paloma's turn, and not Thelma's out of Letizia's family?
I don't know, there are so many choices for the godmother, but not very many for the godfather....

I think about Paloma too and about Elena.

It looks that Letizia has better relationships with Elena and Jaime than Cristina (that's only my opinion!).

But as paternal grandparents were/are godparents of Laonor than maternal should be Sofia's. It would be nice gesture.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom