Felipe and Letizia's 10th Wedding Anniversary: May 22, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

so, the author seriously believes that 'there is a widespread feeling in the Royal Household that Juan Carlos will hand over to his son in the not-too distant future. Some say it might be as soon as next year, when Urdangarin will finally go to trial, when Leonor reaches her tenth year, and the king will have been on the throne for exactly 40 years'

of course, nobody knows what will happen, but after what happened in the past months i find an abdication scenario more unlikely that ever (not that there has been one to begin with).

And what makes the author think that 'even if they were to have another child that turned out to be a boy, Leonor would remain the next in line to the throne'. i think its safe to say that the princes (felipe always wanted more than two and less than five children) did not go for a third child because this is exactly what would have happened: in case of a boy, leonor would have lost her position (she would already have lost her position if sofia had been a boy) and despite politicians vow to change this sexist and discriminating rule, its still in order and there is little to do about it without starting a difficult and possibly endangering process for the monarchy.

ok, with all these critical articles about the anniversary maybe its good to see that not everybody has lost the enthusiasm with the monarchy and believes in swift changes within the institution.

Last edited:
I remember the direct TV broadcast, the rain and the relatively empty streets and lack of enthusiasm. I expected the same grand scenery as in Sevilla (Infanta Elena and Don Jaime de Marichalar) and as in Barcelona (Infanta Cristina and Iñaki Urdangarín). Compared to these two weddings, it was all very muted down. The Almudena Cathedral did not help either. Spain is studded with unbelievable cathedrals, basilicas and churches but the Almudena (officialy ordinated by the Pope in 1993) appeared cold and sterile.

The antique monasterio de San Jerónimo el Real (where King Alfonso XIII married Princess Victoria Eugenia of Battenberg and where King Juan Carlos was proclaimed King) or the old Cathedral would have spiced up the whole image.

El Pais, is a leftist newspaper. It has always been more open for an abdication, and the need to change things for the monarchy closer to the current situation. I think in that sense, is closer to the vision of the Spanish average citizen.

Other newspapers, closer to the right, even the traditionally monarchist ABC, have been in the last few months working on a campaign to improve the image of the King, and to banish the word abdication, and the route to that was the total attack to Letizia, and question and get up rumors about the marriage. Sometimes these papers have shown a cruelty against Letizia that have not had with the dirty business of Urdangarín.

Long time ago that this stopped being an issue of monarchy, there are so many political and economic interests behind, that to guess what might happen is impossible.

Lets not turn this into a debate on a fabled abdication or Letizia's popularity and keep it on topic The 10th Wedding Anniversary of Felipe & Letizia!

Last edited:
It says there will be a photoshoot in Toledo. At 14:00 p.m. (wich is in about half an hour) :ohmy:

Do we know anything about this? I don´t know what to think, it´s the first time I read some like this. I thought that the two photos from earlier today will be the only ones (although I find it very dissapointing, tbh).

Also, if there is something like that planned, I tend to think it´ll be on the afternoon, after the girls school-time...

Were any of our numerous Spanish members in Madrid for the wedding?

Lets not turn this into a debate on a fabled abdication or Letizia's popularity and keep it on topic The 19th Wedding Anniversary of Felipe & Letizia!

Sorry, I just thought that the article is wishful thinking (speaking about a likely handover next year) and clearly getting the facts wrong regarding Leonor becoming Queen despite a possible brother.

:flowers: You are 9 years ahead of your time, its the 10th anniversary ;)

Happy Wedding Anniversary!!!

In my earlier post about the somewhat lukewarm and muted down atmosphere around the wedding, I forgot to mention that on March 11th of the same year there were terrible attacks on four passengers trains in and around Madrid with nearly 200 deaths and 1850 wounded.

:sad: :sad: :sad:

I remember the direct TV broadcast, the rain and the relatively empty streets and lack of enthusiasm. I expected the same grand scenery as in Sevilla (Infanta Elena and Don Jaime de Marichalar) and as in Barcelona (Infanta Cristina and Iñaki Urdangarín). Compared to these two weddings, it was all very muted down. The Almudena Cathedral did not help either. Spain is studded with unbelievable cathedrals, basilicas and churches but the Almudena (officialy ordinated by the Pope in 1993) appeared cold and sterile.

The antique monasterio de San Jerónimo el Real (where King Alfonso XIII married Princess Victoria Eugenia of Battenberg and where King Juan Carlos was proclaimed King) or the old Cathedral would have spiced up the whole image.
IMO the terrorist attacks likely added to the subdued mood in the capital that day. Security would have been very tight considering how many heads of state and government officials would have been present at the wedding.

Thank you for the links to the videos and photos.

It was a great wedding ten years ago. And it is lovely to see Felipe and Letizia celebrating their wedding day in public, good photos from today.

Sorry, I just thought that the article is wishful thinking (speaking about a likely handover next year) and clearly getting the facts wrong regarding Leonor becoming Queen despite a possible brother.

:flowers: You are 9 years ahead of your time, its the 10th anniversary ;)

No problem just didn't want this thread turning sour ;)

Happy tenth wedding anniversary to the handsome couples ~~

Out of the 3 weddings I watched in 2004 this certainly was the most boring/disappointing one. Thanks to the rain there was at least a little bit of emotion/sympathy involved.
What I remember most is
1. the bride drowning in her (beautiful) gown and veil
2. a commentator mentioning an old saying: "The amount of rain on the wedding day is an indication for the amount of tears the bride will cry in her marriage."
So, my congratulations to Letizia (&Felipe) for sitting out the first 10 rainy years and my sincerest wishes that the next 10 years will be sunnier (just like it was on their wedding day).:flowers:

Out of the 3 weddings I watched in 2004 this certainly was the most boring/disappointing one. Thanks to the rain there was at least a little bit of emotion/sympathy involved.
What I remember most is
1. the bride drowning in her (beautiful) gown and veil
2. a commentator mentioning an old saying: "The amount of rain on the wedding day is an indication for the amount of tears the bride will cry in her marriage."
So, my congratulations to Letizia (&Felipe) for sitting out the first 10 rainy years and my sincerest wishes that the next 10 years will be sunnier (just like it was on their wedding day).:flowers:

I always thought rain on your wedding day was good luck?

I'm pleased that they released a photo in connection with Felipe and Letizia's wedding anniversary, even if it wasn't that official. There haven't been any recent photos of Leonor and Sofia going to school as we missed out on their mini photo session last September, so it's nice that we got one. I can't believe it's ten years already! I didn't watch the wedding as I wasn't into the European Royals then, but I have seen various clips from it. I'll be watching Annie's YouTube video when I have more time on my hands.

More photos of Felipe and Letizia in Toledo, I love the ones of her with members of the crowd:

MYROYALS &HOLLYWOOD FASHİON: Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia in Toledo

Molly2101
I always thought rain on your wedding day was good luck?
It was also the first time I heard that saying, back in 2004.

Back
Top Bottom