Discussion on Princess Letizia's Separate Agenda

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Avalon

Heir Apparent
City
Yerevan
Country
Armenia
This topic seems to surface in every single discussion in the Spanish Forums, so the Moderators thought it would be better to discuss everything in one thread.

You are free to express your opinion, agree or disagree with other members, but you HAVE TO stay respectful both towards the Royal you are discussing and the members you are answering/reffering to.

Personal attacks towards other members will NOT be tolerated.

If you have any questions, problems or issues, don't hesitate to contact one of the Spanish Forums Moderators (Anna_R, Avalon, Ennyllorac and marezdote).

I am not in Spain and do not want to make any comments that would of the offense to the royal family or to the members of the board. I read much of the comments about Letizia having the separate agenda from Felipe. I believe very much in the equal rights and education of the female and do not think this is a matter of Letizia having the ability to handle the agenda designed specifically for her.

I think this is the strategic decision of the royal family because of the publicity and the attention Letizia gets whereever she makes the appearance. The people that are of the interest in following the royal family are the one group of people that follow for their position on matters. Then there is the group of people that follow Letizia for the fairytale if you will. The female that marries the prince and is most beautiful. She is now the mother of the two beautiful daughters and this gives some of the people the interest to see her.

On this board we discuss the political issues all the way to the wardrobes of both Felipe and Letizia. However, the papparazzi is of the most interest in Letizia. Why? Because Letizia sales and makes the money for them. They can critique her outfit, shoes, handbag, hair, jewelry and much more that is of the interest to the female reading population.

I would not think the Royal Family would be happy if Letizia events on her own agenda created the more attention that Felipe agenda. In fact it would see if I make this decision I would schedule Letizia to join Felipe as much as possible at the most important of events with the message Felipe has to deliver. This assists in the popularity of Felipe and in this way his wife his a great asset to him and the Royal Family.

Again I do not want to offend anyone. I think the decision we may not have agreement with but it is probably a good decision to promote Felipe and his wisdom in continuing to represent Spain as King in the future.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what is the point of this thread?

In all of the Felipe and Letizia threads, it seems to come up different topics about Letizia's agenda, for example, I've read many about how she doesn't have that many current events outside Felipe. Instead of wasting space in the thread by getting off topic, I'm assuming that the mods thought it would be a good idea to let people vent their anger:)biggrin:) or give their opinions here.

I am not in Spain and do not want to make any comments that would of the offense to the royal family or to the members of the board. I read much of the comments about Letizia having the separate agenda from Felipe. I believe very much in the equal rights and education of the female and do not think this is a matter of Letizia having the ability to handle the agenda designed specifically for her.

I think this is the strategic decision of the royal family because of the publicity and the attention Letizia gets whereever she makes the appearance. The people that are of the interest in following the royal family are the one group of people that follow for their position on matters. Then there is the group of people that follow Letizia for the fairytale if you will. The female that marries the prince and is most beautiful. She is now the mother of the two beautiful daughters and this gives some of the people the interest to see her.

On this board we discuss the political issues all the way to the wardrobes of both Felipe and Letizia. However, the papparazzi is of the most interest in Letizia. Why? Because Letizia sales and makes the money for them. They can critique her outfit, shoes, handbag, hair, jewelry and much more that is of the interest to the female reading population.

I would not think the Royal Family would be happy if Letizia events on her own agenda created the more attention that Felipe agenda. In fact it would see if I make this decision I would schedule Letizia to join Felipe as much as possible at the most important of events with the message Felipe has to deliver. This assists in the popularity of Felipe and in this way his wife his a great asset to him and the Royal Family.

Again I do not want to offend anyone. I think the decision we may not have agreement with but it is probably a good decision to promote Felipe and his wisdom in continuing to represent Spain as King in the future.

I do not think you will offfend anyone. I agree with your insightful comments. As I said in another thread Zarzuela knows what they are doing and Letizia's schedule/agenda is deliber so as not to overshadow her husband or the issue/cause.

Well, if you read Avalons first sentense it would become clear enough: finding a place where this topic can be discussed for those who are interested. The current events thread and other threads can that way be dedicated to the topics they were created for and not for this particular discussion. Added to that, the people who are getting annoyed by the agenda discussion won´t be confronted with it unless they want to. So a win-win situation ;)

I think this is the strategic decision of the royal family because of the publicity and the attention Letizia gets whereever she makes the appearance.
I think your statement above just about sums it up. Those who criticize the princess for not having her own agenda seem to conveniently forget that she operates within the confine of the establishment. I don't have a doubt that Letizia is an independent woman; she got married and divorce when she was young. It takes a strong independent person to admit I made a mistake and move forward. For whatever reason, the court seems to limit her role at the moment. She married him knowing who he was, and if she's required to perform her functions only with Felipe, then she's securing her husband’s future position. She promised to love him for better or worse, if the worse is not having her own agenda, I say she’s damn lucky.

....... For whatever reason, the court seems to limit her role at the moment. She married him knowing who he was, and if she's required to perform her functions only with Felipe, then she's securing her husband’s future position. She promised to love him for better or worse, if the worse is not having her own agenda, I say she’s damn lucky.

It's a very clever point of vew! :graduate: It's a while that I'm telling that, may be not so clear as you!:flowers:

Last edited:
I've considered this when it has come up in the other threads, and most of my thoughts have already been mentioned here at the least so I'll be brief:

I agree that it is right that Letizia has an agenda as is appropriate to the royal house of which she is a member.
I also agree that were she to have more solo engagemetns, she would overshadow Felipe, just as Mary does Frederik. (I am not saying that this is a bad thing, or a reflection upon either of the couple's popularity, its just the way it is.)

Another thing to be considered (and now please ignore my comments about M&F above - I do not believe that this holds true for them) is that, by having a vast majority of appearances together, they put forward a united front and are used to working together, certainly something which I would consider to be an attribute for a King and his Queen!

Edit: Just to clarify, I certainly believe that F&M are putting together a "united front" etc

Another thing to be considered (and now please ignore my comments about M&F above - I do not believe that this holds true for them) is that, by having a vast majority of appearances together, they put forward a united front and are used to working together, certainly something which I would consider to be an attribute for a King and his Queen!

This I would like to add is a most intelligent comment. I think it is back to the strategy of the Royal Family that Felipe and Letizia present this united front and ability to have the good working relationship together for the role of future King and Queen.

I have the suspicion in the years ahead Letizia will have more of her own so called agenda. I say so-called because a member of a royal family does not sit down and make the decisions about what they will or will not do in my opinion. I believe the levels may be reached for them to express the opinion and preference; however, I believe there exists an establishment that makes these decisions for the strategic purpose of the entire monarch.

For now they schedule Felipe with and without his most beautiful of assets, Letizia, to successfully remove from the minds of the people of Spain that Felipe is the playboy bachelor and has matured to much the loving and devloted husband and father. This is what the people like to have in their future King.

This is only the thoughts of my mind though.

To me the court seems to limit her role at the moment because they are afraid that she can achieve mucht more popularity than the future King! I'am not saying that she prefers to have her own agenda, we don't know that, but I think that this couple does what the court demand them to do, their lifes are really in charge of the court, so they must to what the court says!

The princess of Asturias has a solo activity next Friday according to SRF agenda:
Casa Real
Now that princess Letizia has started working again, maybe she will have more solo activities.

In one part I agree with you, but they need to understand the title of Princess of Asturias hasn't responsabilities becasue pass a long of time to a person obtained... In this case Princess Letizia has a good work and desempain her a good paper with Felipe...

But the truth is the monarchy not sell and Letizia has the carisma needed and experience because she was reporter and I think Prince Felipe looks better than a few years ago... In 3 years Letizia has desempained an excelent work of Princess of Asturias but the constitucion and protocol designed Prince Felipe is the first and she need to maintain second...

I think your statement above just about sums it up. Those who criticize the princess for not having her own agenda seem to conveniently forget that she operates within the confine of the establishment. I don't have a doubt that Letizia is an independent woman; she got married and divorce when she was young. It takes a strong independent person to admit I made a mistake and move forward. For whatever reason, the court seems to limit her role at the moment. She married him knowing who he was, and if she's required to perform her functions only with Felipe, then she's securing her husband’s future position. She promised to love him for better or worse, if the worse is not having her own agenda, I say she’s damn lucky.
That has to be one of the most balanced statements I've read on this forum, thanks!

Originally Posted by magnik
I still wonder why Letizia has so little number of solo engagements.
Beacause there's no need for more than around 20 per year?
Because she is a host of her husband's activities and more for her is no need for more?
Because she is a mother of two little and she doesn't want more activities?
Because she doesn't have many patronages?
Any ideas?:ermm:

posted by Lady Finn I counted Letizia´s solo engagements of the year 2008 and got alltogether 28 events in Spain. Plus she also had a couple of solo engagements during the visit to Poland.

This is correct but inclusive Poland and each audience counting seperately. With some good will we can make it 29, Letizia did a speech when receiving the Ladie's bow in Seville, but Felipe was present.

That's almost nothing for her position, a joke that after almost 5 years she does so many events as her husband's arm candy, walking behind him, listening to the speeches he does and trying not to look too bored. Some of these events don't make any sense at all for her but still she's not allowed to stay at home and spend the time with her children. All people talk about is what she's wearing and how she looks, as little else can be said about her. I am afraid Letizia is the only CP of her generation who doesn't have an own profile or stands for something; we can argue about substance here and there regarding the profile others have, but at least there is one.

When looking at where Letizia came from and what could have been because of her personality or assets, she's one big lost opportunity. In earlier days people always pointed at her "substance" or the "seriousness" of her agenda, unlike her consort colleagues, who were branded as fluffy, superficial or fashion addicts. These days Letizia is actually the one who is lacking an own agenda and in the headlines because of cosmetic surgery or platform shoes. I guess if that pretty and straight talking young woman in the white Armani pant suit we saw on Nov 6th, 2003 could have made a look into the crystal ball what would have become of her only 5 years later she would not have believed her eyes.

Letizia should have her own official solo duties nothing too big that would take the attention from Felipe being he is the heir and furture king.Just about 15 I guess she does not need that many because she's a mother and needs to spend time with
her two young daughters.

I have to say, perhaps I am old fashioned, but I think it is nice to see Letizia supporting her husband and the both of them doing engagements together. I'm not sure there is any real need to criticize her for supporting her husband. Additionally, with regard to Letizia and Felipe--their children are ages 4 and not quite 2 years--perhaps Letizia wants to enjoy their childhood rather than a nanny enjoying her children's first big moments. I'm sure that as the children enter school we will see Letizia take on more of a solo agenda, but until then she has the right to be a mother and wife, too. She has the rest of her life to be Princess Letizia and the Queen of Spain but only a few short years before her children go off to school. I think she is making the correct choice.

No one is criticizing her for suporting her husband as she should.I just think she should be able to have her own official functions to give back to the communtiy.If she has a few official functions not many and still put time in of her children.

Every Royal House has its own way of working, with its things good and bad, according to the perspective. I do not understand activities and attitudes of other Royal Houses.

The Princess has commented that she first is a mother, later wife of the Prince and finally Princess of Asturias. It is easy to deal inside the structure that the King Juan Carlos has imposed in Zarzuela, the own Queen has commented that initially the King did not want that she had acts in solitarily and that only when her children became old she had the time and the opportunity to develop her own activities, now she lives overturned in a Foundation that develops many projects.

Probably that the Princess does fewer acts in solitarily, and more accompanying the Prince, it harms a bit her image, but it is a benefit to the institution. In all the countries the acts of the Princesses have more repercussion in the press that the acts of the Princes, if the acts are joint this situation balances. The Princes of Asturias seem to work together of comfortable form, and probably today it is the best thing, the Princess has had very good influence in the public image of the Prince, and it eventually is the best thing for the Monarchy.

I have to say, perhaps I am old fashioned, but I think it is nice to see Letizia supporting her husband and the both of them doing engagements together. I'm not sure there is any real need to criticize her for supporting her husband. Additionally, with regard to Letizia and Felipe--their children are ages 4 and not quite 2 years--perhaps Letizia wants to enjoy their childhood rather than a nanny enjoying her children's first big moments. I'm sure that as the children enter school we will see Letizia take on more of a solo agenda, but until then she has the right to be a mother and wife, too. She has the rest of her life to be Princess Letizia and the Queen of Spain but only a few short years before her children go off to school. I think she is making the correct choice.

How do you know it was her choice to be Felipe's "arm candy" and "the only CP of her generation who does not have her own profie"? I think a lot of people don't know who really runs Zarzuela and who has the last word on everything. Letizia only has a small voice in that House and it's actually the gray-haired military men that she responds to and of course the King's last word. That's why it boggles my mind when the press and her detrators always put the blame on her whenever there's an unpopular decision. IMO, I feel that she doesn't really get the support from those royal advisors and sad to say even the King, and there really isn't anything Felipe could do because they are his "bosses" too. Maybe when it's Felipe's turn things will be a whole lot different?

In Zarzuela already there are fewer military men, but yes, there is a great quantity of men of advanced age, the first one the King. It can influence.

But also it is a reality, that in Spain, it would not be accepted well that the wife of the Prince (or the wife of the King, or the wife of the President or the husband of a minister), acquire an excessive relevancy. It is necessary to look for a balance, not always easily. Yes, to that the Queen or the Princess develops an activity, but that it does not suppose an excess of protagonism that makes it stand out on whom really has the public function.

And it is not a question of men or women, the best example they are the husbands of the Infantas, they have the public function, their husbands accompany them, but they have never had activities in solitarily.

How do you know it was her choice to be Felipe's "arm candy" and "the only CP of her generation who does not have her own profie"? I think a lot of people don't know who really runs Zarzuela and who has the last word on everything. Letizia only has a small voice in that House and it's actually the gray-haired military men that she responds to and of course the King's last word. That's why it boggles my mind when the press and her detrators always put the blame on her whenever there's an unpopular decision. IMO, I feel that she doesn't really get the support from those royal advisors and sad to say even the King, and there really isn't anything Felipe could do because they are his "bosses" too. Maybe when it's Felipe's turn things will be a whole lot different?

Is anyone going to give Letizia a break for wanting to be a mother first? Prior to that has everyone forgotten that she was successful in her career and had proven herself to be a forceful and independent woman before she married Felipe. She made her mark professionally, she fulfills her role as the Princess of Asturias and the future Queen of Spain, and right now she wants to enjoy her family and not let a nanny raise her children. She wants to see their first steps, she wants to be there when they write their first letters, figure out how to hold book, catch a ball, learn how to take turns, blow bubbles, and just play. Truly and seriously, I ask what is wrong with that? Why do so many people feel it important to criticize her for this choice? I hardly think that Letizia considers herself "eye candy". She has important issues on her own social agenda (children's rights, education). It would be the height of hyprocrisy if the Princess spent long hours away from home bringing awareness to children's rights and left her children in the care of someone else and ignoring their rights to have their mother with them.

It is evident that for the Spanish Royal Family the education of the children is very important, they are not only children, also it is the future of the Monarchy. For the Princess the education of her daughters must be a priority, because they are her daughters, but also because they are Infantas.

In that the Queen Sofia was very different from other Queens of her generation. The Kings of Spain had initially difficult years and a lot of work, but it never prevented that for the Queen Sofia her children were a priority. She was a nearby mother who took charge educating and giving directly fondness to her children, and not simply leaving them to the care of the babysitters.

The Princess is not going to reduce the time that she dedicates to her daughters. Her agenda is tight enough, so her only option would be to reduce the activities that she realizes with the Prince, and seems that today per today the Royal House still is not interested in it. Maybe they believe that it is more beneficial than the Princess continues supporting the Prince, because the King for years has a wife, two daughters and two sisters who dedicate to cultural - social labors.

Is anyone going to give Letizia a break for wanting to be a mother first? Prior to that has everyone forgotten that she was successful in her career and had proven herself to be a forceful and independent woman before she married Felipe. She made her mark professionally, she fulfills her role as the Princess of Asturias and the future Queen of Spain, and right now she wants to enjoy her family and not let a nanny raise her children. She wants to see their first steps, she wants to be there when they write their first letters, figure out how to hold book, catch a ball, learn how to take turns, blow bubbles, and just play. Truly and seriously, I ask what is wrong with that? Why do so many people feel it important to criticize her for this choice? I hardly think that Letizia considers herself "eye candy". She has important issues on her own social agenda (children's rights, education). It would be the height of hyprocrisy if the Princess spent long hours away from home bringing awareness to children's rights and left her children in the care of someone else and ignoring their rights to have their mother with them.

Yeah, She didn't need a Prince to show that she is a succesfull woman.:whistling:
Thank God.

Good for her.
First her family.:cool:

Yeah, She didn't need a Prince to show that she is a succesfull woman.:whistling:
Thank God.

Good for her.
First her family.:cool:

I disagree with you. I don't think it's her choice at all - as kylabriggs1 said I think it's a decision made by the spanish royal court, and that's what interests me about it. I don't critizise Letizia for it at all, I have just always wondered - "Why ?!" since it never hurt either Princess Maxima, Mette, Mary or Mathilde to have her own agendas. And I am not comparing Letizia to any of the others, I am just making my point.
I would love to know what Zarzuela's reasons are for this, because she seems like such an inteligent woman, and her previous career has shown us that she is just that, so "why" is my question.

I think that its obvious that 'they' don't want Letizia to overshadow her husband in anyway and as I would presume that 'they' know what works best for Spain, I guess that it means no separate agenda for Letizia. However.......
Where on earth is this coming from? The Prince of Asturias, who is lorded about by some on these boards as the hardest working CP, carried out 299 activities in 2008, Letizia accompanied him on 242. Granted she didn't do anything while with him but 242 activities hardly makes her a stay at home mom. In fact it is probably the same amount of, if not more, activities that other CP's carried out last year, who are all, with the exception of Victoria, mothers as well. I guess that Letizia's main job as Princess of Asturias is to attend events with her husband. It seems a shame and a waste of person to me but I'm not Spanish, nor do I live in Spain, so I guess at the end if the day it doesn't really matter what I think.

Letizia's primary role as a wife of the Prince is to support Felipe. Zarzuela knows what they are doing.

I think that its obvious that 'they' don't want Letizia to overshadow her husband in anyway and as I would presume that 'they' know what works best for Spain, I guess that it means no separate agenda for Letizia. However.......

Where on earth is this coming from? The Prince of Asturias, who is lorded about by some on these boards as the hardest working CP, carried out 299 activities in 2008, Letizia accompanied him on 242. Granted she didn't do anything while with him but 242 activities hardly makes her a stay at home mom. In fact it is probably the same amount of, if not more, activities that other CP's carried out last year, who are all, with the exception of Victoria, mothers as well. I guess that Letizia's main job as Princess of Asturias is to attend events with her husband. It seems a shame and a waste of person to me but I'm not Spanish, nor do I live in Spain, so I guess at the end if the day it doesn't really matter what I think.

Where "this" is coming from is that there has been extreme criticism of Letizia because she doesn't carry out a seperate agenda from her husband's because she, as quoted by the Princess herself, is a mother first, a wife second, and a princess third. Unfortunantly, many persons want to criticize her work ethic instead of applaud her choices. I was simply pointing out that Letizia has other responsibilties and desires at the current time that are of a more important nature to her. I certainly did not imply she was a "stay-at-home mom" but if she were would that be so horrible? Does she not have that right while her children are young? I agree she does have an obligation to the public because of her role, but assuming that Letizia is unhappy and being forced to play the part of the dutiful wife is a stretch. I am impressed that she has her father-in-law and mother-in-law supporting her. I well remember that Princess Diana would have preferred to have less of a public role in order to spend more time with her children but she did not appear to have that option. Additionally, the Wales' marriage is a perfect example of what happens when one person receives too much of the limelight. There is a certain judiciousness in being cautious about that--if in fact that is a concern. I don't think it is--Sofia is more popular than her husband and he doesn't seem to be too upset about it. Personally, I am pleased that Spain supports its Princess with regard to her desire to be more available at this time for her family and I am pleased that Letizia still attends about 250 engagements a year. I am impressed with her ability to juggle motherhood, being a wife, and a public figure as well as she does. She doesn't really need to have a highly loaded personal agenda because right now, perhaps she simply does not want the added time away from her family. Why must that become some sort of conspiracy theory that "they" are keeping her in line? Why can't it just be what it is and let it go.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44102000/jpg/_44102530_afp416leonor.jpg

Do we really believe that Letizia has a say in what goes on or what her calendar should be?
The primary concern of the Casa Real is the continuation of the institution. Felipe needs to look like a worthy successor of Juan Carlos and Letizia needs to be accepted by all Spaniards as his consort. The younger generation has embraced her but a lot of the older ones and the grandees did not. Letizia needs to ease into public life and her future role. So far it seems that she understands her role and her position within the royal family. I suspect the fact that she did not give a male heir to the Crown yet, weighs more in her mind than a separate agenda and solo appearances.

Personally I find it refreshing to see Letizia supporting her husband, not unlike Camilla, rather than attempting to overshadow him.

Moreover so far as acceptance goes you only need to look at the huge number of people who turn out when the CP couple have an official event. I cannot ever recall seeing such large crowds and gatherings for other couples.

Back
Top Bottom