Death of Erika Ortiz, Princess Letizia's Sister: February 7, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Emily said:
While this does seem quick or 'hasty' to some of us, as I understand it from reading various boards, this is quite typical for Spain, Portugal and Malta. It reflects the continued Muslim influence

Allow me to disagree with regard to Spain. I would say that the Catholic tradition greatly prevails over the Muslim heritage, and the burial takes place after 3-4 days on average. It used to be costumary to prepare the body in order to be exposed so that friends and family could say farewell and veil it for some hours previous to burial, though in many cases this tradition isn't followed nowadays.

One detail that can be relevant is that, traditionally, the Catholic church doesn't allow a burial in the Catholic cemetery (non-Catholic cemeteries are a rarity) if the death has been caused by an act deemed to be a "mortal sin" by the deceased.

lula said:
There is no official news, and while this one does not exist, everything what is published or is said, limits itself to indications, speculations and gossips.

I would bet there isn't going to be any official news from the royal house on this matter. On the one hand, as you say, family Ortiz-Rocasolano is a private family and the royal house has no obligation to report on them. On the other, as we all know from past experience, the royal house press service is very spare in the official news it releases; at most, it will issue a note of denial in case a false rumor has gone too far.

It's very stricking that El País should publish so openly certain leaks from the investigation. This newspaper is considered in many case the quasi-official voice of the present government and the royal house. For instance, it published the news that Leonor's umbilical chord was being preserved in Arizona facilities, which was readily confirmed by the royal house. In my opinion, most Spaniards would assume that any information published in this paper has the implicit approval of the royal house. The same goes for the news released by Antena 3 channel, a medium that usually follows a cautious and even laudatory treatment towards all things royal.

I hope I'm not offending anybody; if I went too far in my comments, please moderators feel free to delete this post or any other post I write.

biboquinhas said:
The family Ortiz-Rocasolano are not a private and anonymous family, they are the family of the Princess of Asturias so they are in the public eye! Everyone has the right to intimacy even Royal family, not only anonymous familys!!!! Of course this issue will be private because is not correct for a Royal family say that the sister of princess of Asturias has commited suicide, so they will keep it a secret of course!

It is not the Ortiz-Rocasolano family who married prince Felipe, it is one of his members.
And we are talking here of the death of the member of the family who liked the less being harassed by the medias.

fandesacs2003 said:
Hello

I'm greek othodox. According the the Greek orthodox religion, suicide is not accepted by the religion, I mean It is considered that if you killed yourself, you committed a murder. Consequently, if someone dies from suicide he is not allowed to receive a religious funeral.
IS THE SAME VALID FOR CATHOLICS? (Can someone reply?)
In this case it may provoque a problem because of the relation of Erica with the SRF.

The Catholic Church considers in most of cases that suicide is a desperating gesture and that the person who committed it had not all her spirit faculties. So it became forgivable, because it is the result of an altered conscience.

There´s no official news because Érika was not part of the Royal Family. The results of the autopsy will be delivered to her family in two weeks, more or less and it´s up to them to tell the world what happened. But it´s a suicide. She killed herself by taking a huge amount of pills and some sources say she left some suicide notes to some people. Horrible. When I saw Princess Letizia speaking to the journalists and crying it broke my heart. I cried too. I´m truly shocked.

Something I believe is unforgivable is not to wait for Telma, her sister, to arrive in Spain before cremating Érika. She had the right to see her sister and hug her for the last time before the creamation. Horrible.

I'll repeat what others have said. If Erika did commit suicide, I hope that her family are not ashamed of it. I know it is hard to come to terms with for them but it's not something that should be kept secret by them for fear of what people might think. :ermm:

I often read in stories in newspapers about men and women who have commited suicide. So if it is 'officially' stated that it was this, I hardly think the whole of Spain will spiral into crisis.

**I want to make it clear that I'm not saying that the family should release the cause of death. ;)

...sOfIa.... said:
I'll repeat what others have said. If Erika did commit suicide, I hope that her family are not ashamed of it. I know it is hard to come to terms with for them but it's not something that should be kept secret by them for fear of what people might think. :ermm:

I often read in stories in newspapers about men and women who have commited suicide. So if it is 'officially' stated that it was this, I hardly think the whole of Spain will spiral into crisis.

**I want to make it clear that I'm not saying that the family should release the cause of death. ;)

I am 100% with you. I agree absolutely on what you say.

Danielane said:
The Catholic Church considers in most of cases that suicide is a desperating gesture and that the person who committed it had not all her spirit faculties. So it became forgivable, because it is the result of an altered conscience.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I have enjoyed the forum for awhile with all the historal notes and the royal news you have posted.I am have the urge to say something in this regard, and this is my first post.

The media and talk shows try to analyze what causes Erika's depression. They are trying to suggest that part of her depression is because her sister is now the future queen, and the pressure of being Letizia's sister partly led to her death.

Two things I want to point out..
1) Each person is different, some are so sensitive that even slightly negativity post upon them would give them such grieve that majority of people would never experienced, nor understood.

2) The world is getting crueler by day, especially the media who makes a living talking about others on issues that are sensitive and should be respected, using the excuses that those people are public figures anyway.
Well, those public figures have feeling too. Where are kindness and compassion? they deserve those too.

I agree with you pamw they do deserve compassion and their privacy. Because Letezia married the prince does not make them any less private citizens.

Her_Majesty said:
ANP

ANP Beeldbank (Leti didn't forget about the protocol, even in this hard moment and bows to the King)
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank:sad:

ANP Beeldbank

these are the saddest. most moving pictures ive seen of Letizia:sad:
the picture of Letizia bowing, seems like she cant bow well, seems like she is holding on to the King for support, but who can blame her. I hope things go smooth for her

merce76 said:
Something I believe is unforgivable is not to wait for Telma, her sister, to arrive in Spain before cremating Érika. She had the right to see her sister and hug her for the last time before the creamation. Horrible.
How can one possibly know that they decided not to wait for Telma? There is always the possibility that she did not want to see her sister that way. Everyone reacts differently. My grandmother passed away a few months ago and my sister chose not to see her. She arrived later for the service. Let's please not pass judgement on the family.

Last edited:
This is true...I hope they ask Telma and she says "don't wait for me please", who knows what we don't know...

Poor Letizia, poor Paloma...and poor Carla when she knows...

Official Judicial sources

Erika Ortiz llevaba más de 12 horas muerta cuando se encontró su cadáver | elmundo.es

Erika Ortiz was going more than 12 hours died when her corpse was found

MADRID. - The autopsy practised Erika Ortiz's corpse , of 31 years, has determined that she died on 23.0 o'clock of last Tuesday, the 6th, according to judicial sources. According to the writing of the forensic one of the court number 12 of Madrid, the death was produced approximately 12 hours before her corpse was found, in her domicile, by her current sentimental companion.

The forensic report specifies that the death was produced for a stop cardiorrespiratoria. The investigators have sent a sample of fabrics to the Institute of Toxicology to discover what provoked her death, though the results will not be available up to in approximately 15 days. Only then the reasons of the death will be known by accuracy and there will be signed the definitive report of the autopsy, which will submit to the judge and to the family of the deceased.

The first police investigations aimed that Erika died for a massive ingestion of tablets. In fact, in the room where her body was situated an empty boat was discovered and, according to sources of the investigation, also they found several notes written to hand that It might be directed to her family.

Last edited:
Picture gallery - of Spanish Royals Attend The Funeral Of Erika Ortiz. some very sad pictures

A picture of Queen Sofia arriving in Madrid - picture
Letizia Ortiz, the Princess of Asturias, at the cremation in Madrid - picture

Last edited:
Sister of Spain's future queen committed suicide

9 February 2007
MADRID — The sister of Spain's future queen committed suicide by taking a coctail of anti-depressant pills, a post mortem finds.
Erika Ortiz, 31, died in her sleep after writing a series of letters to family members and taking the pills.
She had been depressed for some time following the break-up of her marriage. full article and source

Royal Discretion

When she was alive, Érika Ortiz fiercely disliked being at the centre of attention of the press. When her older sister married the heir to the Spanish throne, the life of this quiet interior designer also changed forever.

It has been interesting to ... read full article & source

She could not be a member direct of the royal family but it was the chaplain of the Palace that made the funeral!

Little Carla met grandfather, Jesus Ortiz, yesterday and probably he told her the death of mummy.

The results of the autopsy will not be known until within a month. Other news are speculations.

source:elprogramadeanarosa.telecinco

dazzling said:
these are the saddest. most moving pictures ive seen of Letizia:sad:
the picture of Letizia bowing, seems like she cant bow well, seems like she is holding on to the King for support, but who can blame her. I hope things go smooth for her

In the video I saw the King was holding her, like he did not want that Letizia bows him... :flowers:

Awkward or maybe rather peculiar ("raro") is what they said, not wrong. Because of the long-term relationship he had with Letizia and the fact that he might actually have met members of her family.

Last edited:
Oh, okay. Thanks for clarifying that.

lis said:
In the video I saw the King was holding her, like he did not want that Letizia bows him... :flowers:

I had the same impression when watching the video...that Letizia wanted to respect the protocol and curtsey the King, while his reaction was more like "that's not necessary, you don't have to curtsey". A normal and human reaction, I'd say, as Letizia is, for sure, passing terribly difficult moments.:sad:

Olka said:
I had the same impression when watching the video...that Letizia wanted to respect the protocol and curtsey the King, while his reaction was more like "that's not necessary, you don't have to curtsey". A normal and human reaction, I'd say, as Letizia is, for sure, passing terribly difficult moments.:sad:

We can see that not only in the video but also in the picture where that image appears!

was little carla at the funeral with her grandparents?

Little Carla was not at the funeral because by that time she didn´t know her mom was dead. I still don´t know if she knows.

I do hope press stop saying Érika was depressed for being Letizia´s sister and her fear of "not being good enough" because the last thing the family needs now is to point someone to blame. When somebody comits suicide it is nobody´s fault.

Paty said:
Erika Ortiz llevaba más de 12 horas muerta cuando se encontró su cadáver | elmundo.es

Erika Ortiz was going more than 12 hours died when her corpse was found

MADRID. - The autopsy practised Erika Ortiz's corpse , of 31 years, has determined that she died on 23.0 o'clock of last Tuesday, the 6th, according to judicial sources. According to the writing of the forensic one of the court number 12 of Madrid, the death was produced approximately 12 hours before her corpse was found, in her domicile, by her current sentimental companion.

The forensic report specifies that the death was produced for a stop cardiorrespiratoria. The investigators have sent a sample of fabrics to the Institute of Toxicology to discover what provoked her death, though the results will not be available up to in approximately 15 days. Only then the reasons of the death will be known by accuracy and there will be signed the definitive report of the autopsy, which will submit to the judge and to the family of the deceased.

The first police investigations aimed that Erika died for a massive ingestion of tablets. In fact, in the room where her body was situated an empty boat was discovered and, according to sources of the investigation, also they found several notes written to hand that It might be directed to her family.

I really don't understand it anymore........ This newspapers says this and another says that....
I've also read that Erika has brought her little girl to school or to a neighbour.... how can it be, if she was already dead in this newpaper?

Media stop al this rumours and gossips.:bang:

In my humble opinion, Érika´s family should make a public estatement to stop all this gossip. For her memory, for people not to talk nonesense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom