Death of Erika Ortiz, Princess Letizia's Sister: February 7, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well all these discussions are about Erika was not a public figure, so we don't have the right to know etc. etc.

But what I feel is this; I have heared yesterday a young woman suddenly died and left a little girl. The young woman had two sisters, with one of her sisters she had shared a house. The woman had still both of her parents, and now they have to burry their doughter. The woman was very close to her sisters and they are shocked by the news.

It appears that I know the sister of this woman, (not personally, but still) I am deeply shocked by this news, and I can't imagine what the sister will feel and what thoughts she might has. Because I care for the sister, I am crying and talking about my feelings.

Not because she is a royal, not because she was related to the crownprincess, not because I am bored and want to gossip and be sentimental.
But because this is such an tragic sudden death, for someone so young, who leaves a little girl. And because I care for Letizia. But still if I did not know Letizia, I still would be shocked.

So stop being so negative about the fact we are all so talkative and upset about someone who died who wasn't a royal.

two years ago, when I was still in High school, I girl died in a motoraccident. The reactions on the school were so enormous, so out of control, so unexpected, THE WHOLE school turned op at her funeral, the whole school!!
And clearly not the whole school knew her ofcourse.. but the shock, the tragedy did it all..

lula said:
If they had greeted them inside, the press and you had criticized them for hiding or for wanting to conceal something.

If you are referring to me, please don't make this kind of gratuitous assumption. I didn't and I wouldn't criticize them either way, not for that reason.

Yes, I like polemics and discussion, but I am familiar with this forum and I won't come here with provocative intentions, don't worry.

An interesting thing I saw this afternoon, the speech (on Channel No.4) by Pilar Rahola, a noted polemicist and pro-republic former politician. She made a strong attack on a recent article by Jaime Peñafiel in which he seemed to put the blame on Letizia for the death of her sister. She asked of him a public apology. I think she was really brilliant, even people that don't usually agree with her will appreciate.

I am very sad too about this news, especially for someone so young. Although Erika was known to the public because of Letizia, she was not really a public persona. At the moment I think everyone is curious about the cause of death, but like many have said is it really none of our business. In the way of this world, sad as it is, someone else will be tomorrow´s news...with time the media will probably forget and the reasons for her death will remain private which is probably the way it should be.

My sympathy to her family and friends.

Duncan, you're getting a Spanish TV station in New York?

Elspeth said:
Duncan, you're getting a Spanish TV station in New York?

I'm in Spain right now, but in NY, if you have Time Warner Cable, five bucks will buy you the Spanish channels TVE Internacional and Antena 3 Internacional and TVE Noticias 24Horas, besides Discovery en español, CNN en español and others. (Let's be clear, I'm not being paid for this ad.)

Condolences to Crown Princess...
Her sister was too young to pass away

Henri M. said:
I have not contributed one word to this thread. What can I say? That I feel pity for the Ortiz Rocasolano family? Does that matter at all, for them?

But I myst say I feel bad by all the underlying sensationalism and voyeurism in this thread. Now even ompletely with videos and discussing pictures et al. And it is going on, and on, now almost 16 pages !

:sad:

You have contributed with a reply.

Sensationalism? voyeurism? I remind you that you are in a forum about royals. In this forum there are a lot of pics of King/Queen/Prince/Princess in official events (gala dress, tiara,...), in private events (with boyfriend/girlfriend...). When you watch those pics you practice voyeurism or sensationalism because you are watching parts of life that people that you do not know. So please, be serious and you do not acusse us of something that every people in this forum do, including YOU.

To all those that we followed the news on Princess and in general on Royal Families are interested in their life. The life is flood of good and bad moments.

Last edited:
fanletizia said:
You have contributed with a reply.

Sensationalism? voyeurism? I remind you that you are in a forum about royals. In this forum there are a lot of pics of King/Queen/Prince/Princess in official events (gala dress, tiara,...), in private events (with boyfriend/girlfriend...). When you watch those pics you practice voyeurism or sensationalism because you are watching parts of life that people that you do not know. So please, be serious and you do not acusse us of something that every people in this forum do, including YOU.

Very very correcl, you touched the point
We ALL should not be hypocrits.

The videos bought tears to my eyes, especially when i saw Letizia embracing Christina in such a powerful way. I have such respect for this family and my love and prayers go to them all

Diariocrítico - Opinión Luto y dolor en el corazón de la Princesa de Asturias

Mourning and pain in the heart of the Princess of Asturias

The death of a young person almost always surprises for unexpected, that of Erika Ortiz Rocasolano, the minor sister of the Princess of Asturias, has filled me with stupor, since I suppose that it will have gone on to her family, companions and friends. The one who was going to suppose such a tragic conclusion, of someone who was in full youth, with a six-year-old daughter whom she was adoring. I knew, it yes, that she had been of labour fall for depression. A disease to the one that comes near for very diverse ways, and that endures a fourth part of the population, according to the last studies realized in this respect.

I knew personally Erika in the presentation of the magazine of Art ' E.M.E. ', she seemed to me to be very fragile, slightly shy, but very natural. She was grateful to me for the treatment that was giving her sister Letizia, and to her family. It was a short conversation, since the majority of the guests to the act wanted to greet her, but we were the sufficient time me to reaffirm something that she was feeling: one was feeling overwhelmed by the weight that for the family Ortiz-Rocasolano, supposed the marriage of her major sister with the Prince Felipe. Unlike what many people could think, this family has had to cross a way full of thorns, not only for the pursuit of the means - that also - but for the critiques that in case of Erika rained almost from the moment itself in which her sister gave 'Yes' the inheritor of the Spanish wreath.

They had not stopped savouring the cake of weddings when already the first voices raised correcting Erika of 'hermanísima', of taken advantage, for having accepted a work that, as they were saying it was not corresponding to her, as if to be a director of communication of a magazine in the one that was going time working, it was the panacea to all her bads. Also her grandfather has been criticized for being a taxi driver, for dressing this or that way.

They have been hard blows, but, especially, low blows, because if something they have demonstrated all of them in this time, it is that they have more dignity than many of that judge them so mercilessly. That I know the life of the Ortiz-Rocasolano, it has not changed, they continue living in the same neighborhood where they were living, so many Telma like her parents they continue working where they were working. Probably dress a bit better, but it is of obliged fulfillment bearing in mind that whenever they go out to the street have a camera hoping that they commit a slide to be able to criticize them.

The sociologists say it: the most critical and merciless they are those that belong to the same social class, those who cannot excuse that anybody from the same circle, even from the same stairs, comes where they will never come. Or different those who for a higher step is, manage to believe of a caste apart.

Of all the members of this family, Erika was worse the one that was taking that they her were observing, that should chase it, that the break of her relation with Antonio Vigo, the father of her daughter, was carried in the magazines, that a walk with her current boyfriend, was turning into news, but especially, which she could not support - and that was mining her autoestima - is that her work was questioning. Her aptitude to recover a labor for the one that had prepared itself from young. Because her parents, though they were neither general captains, nor diplomats, nor aristocrats, yes had worried about giving them Letizia, Telma and Erika, the best gift that a parents can give to their daughters: formation, the three have passed for the University, have studied the careers for those who were thinking about being more qualified. But no professor taught the most difficult subject to them, that the one that resists, wins.

Erika has died, and with her there goes away the happiness of her parents, of her sisters, of her grandmothers, of her daughter. They say to me that they are destroyed, surprised, unable to understand what has happened, but that more her sister Letizia, for her pregnancy and because when her parents separated the Princess adopted the role of protective sister, especially with Erika, which was the most fragile.

They have asked for respect, and I from these pages want to make it come near, though I am afraid that they will not be able to prevent that Erika's death penetrates the threshold of the intimacy, already we have penetrated it. What it is necessary to ask now is that the duel does not turn into a circus mediático, because he was not a public personage. For the journalists this one should be the test of the cotton, the proof that not everything costs. And you Erika, rests in peace.

very brave for letizia to thank the members of the public for their concern at this really sad time

pollyemma said:
so their will be no public confirmation as to whether was natural causes or suicide? I'm not sure that's a good idea considering all the speculation and rumors floating around.

i totally agree. although i think it's ok if they want to keep the results private, i truly think it's better to release them. why? if it's good news and it was a natural death (in my opinion i doubt so though), that's fine, no rumours anymore, no need to mention the real causes. if it was suicide, i think people should be more open about it as it is, unfortunately, seen often with depressive people. it would also say a lot about the family, as some people say again and again that they "keep un-nice details in locked boxes". this would show how this is not true and most importantly, will cease the media coverage and the public obsession in knowing more, while giving some privacy to the family as well during this awful period.

Telma, hermana de la Princesa de Asturias, llega a Madrid

Telma, sister of the Princess of Asturias, comes to Madrid

Telma Ortiz Rocasolano, sister of the Princess of Asturias, came this night to Madrid in a flight of Iberia proceeding from Zurich, where it did scale.

Telma came at half after nine of this night to the airport of Barajas where they were waiting for her parents, Jesus Ortiz and Paloma Rocasolano, which left the facilities for the room of authorities, they informed to EFE airport sources.

The sister of dona Letizia, who was in Manila for matters related to her work of cooperatingly, made yesterday urgent trip to Spain after knowing the news of the death of her minor sister, Erika, to try to be present at the prayer informed today in the cemetery of Tres Cantos, of Madrid.

Lindy said:
From what I understand, the Spanish culture is very open about death abd grieving. When I fist subscribed to Hola!, I was shocked at funeral coverage with pictures of family members sobbing, etc. I can remember the photos of Sofia crying at her father-in-laws burial. Perhaps someone from Spain can comment.

I can support that indirectly. Filipinos are the same way and it's probably due to Spanish influence. We're quite vocal about our grief, too. Sobbing and wailing isn't uncommon and something that we don't hide. Spaniards probably don't go that far, but they've influenced us quite a bit.

Letizia has never been one of my favorite royals, but my heart goes out to her. I've heard somewhere that when parents lose a child that it's not the natural order of things; parents are expected to go first. I think the same can be said about younger siblings. I don't know what I'd do if I lost my younger brother (and my only sibling). I'll keep them all in my prayers. I hope that she takes great care of herself in her time of grief seeing that she's pregnant. It's such a tragic thing to happen to any family.

Lindy said:
From what I understand, the Spanish culture is very open about death abd grieving. When I fist subscribed to Hola!, I was shocked at funeral coverage with pictures of family members sobbing, etc. I can remember the photos of Sofia crying at her father-in-laws burial. Perhaps someone from Spain can comment.

that situation of sofia is very much remembered in spain as for today as "the only time a member of the spanish royal house cried in public". it is always the example they mention.

biboquinhas said:
I think there is nothing wrong to see these pictures! This Forum is due to discuss all things regarding Royals, good and bad things! We must see pictures so we can discuss them here! Princess Letizia is in the public eye, due to that she has a forum dedicate to her an her family so I think everything regarding her can be discuss here, good and bad things! Of course everyone has curiosity to know Letizia's life, otherwise we wouldn't come here!!

Agreed. It would be unrealistic to think people would not want to see pictures, etc of this sad day.

My heart goes out to the Princess and her family.

pollyemma said:
yeah. I agree. voyeurism is a good word for it. we've seen lots of royal funerals etc and sadness by relatives of the deceased but to have the raw grief that is usually kept behind closed doors splashed all over the media is a bit much.

And yet you are here as we are! Not a criticism, just an observation.

Sophus said:
Touching pictures!

I just don't understand why the hugging and greeting of the royal family was not kept inside behind closed doors - I really feel sorry for the Crownprincess that she had to cry in public when welcoming her in-laws... There is nothing harder than have to show emotions in public in front of curious people... My father was a well kown danish businessman and when he died the church was filled with people none of us knew and they all starred and pointed at us without saying anything. That was the worst thing I have ever tried.

It might be a difference in culture. I think of the British and their "stiff upper lip" that we always hear about. Perhaps this is not unusual and they feel comfortable showing strong emotion.

Henri M. said:
I have not contributed one word to this thread. What can I say? That I feel pity for the Ortiz Rocasolano family? Does that matter at all, for them?

But I myst say I feel bad by all the underlying sensationalism and voyeurism in this thread. Now even ompletely with videos and discussing pictures et al. And it is going on, and on, now almost 16 pages !

:sad:

That we all feel sadness for the loss of this family's sister, daughter, mother, probably doesn't matter at all for them, does it? They don't know who we are or that this Royal Forum site exists, I wouldn't think. I have an interest in this Royal Family and this Princess, and that's why I come. I would find it extremely odd if no one posted or signed into this forum regarding this very sad event.

The posters who have said this is voyeuristic, do you really think it's disrespectful to be here? And I hope I'm coming across in a respectful way to all of you! No offense meant at all by my posts, just very curious.

Emmily said:
And yet you are here as we are! Not a criticism, just an observation.

i wish I hadnt seen the photos to be honest. I didnt know what they were when I clicked on the link.

but look...its Letizia's choice to allow herself to be photographed like this. so i respect her decision.

I am glad for Letizia that she had such support from the Royal Family. They seemed to come together and be there for her, which is a truly wonderful sight. My condolences are with the entire family. My heart goes out to them in their time of grief.

Poor poor girl, and such a hasty burial, no one can get used to the departure so soon

rominet09 said:
Poor poor girl, and such a hasty burial, no one can get used to the departure so soon

While this does seem quick or 'hasty' to some of us, as I understand it from reading various boards, this is quite typical for Spain, Portugal and Malta. It reflects the continued Muslim influence to bury the dead within 24 hours, if not 48. However, along with this tradition, similar to the Jewish tradition, is to have family and friends close by during the grieving process subsequent to the burial. One of the beauties of a board like this is to learn about the differences in our cultures -- I did not know about this custom until yesterday. It helped me to understand the raw grief that we witnessed today because in my culture people have a bit more time to come to terms with their loss before they are faced with public appearances.

I am so sorry for Erika, the Princess and her family. I have a daughter Carla's age and also am a sufferer of depression, so I know what work it takes to keep going at times. My heart aches for them.

I think it is human nature to come together to share grief like we are doing on this board. We care about these people and even though we probably won't meet them, we are trying to make sense of the tragedy together.

I'm glad we can 'bear each other's burdens.' I know for a few of us, we've had very similar circumstances happen and so this brings them up in a difficult way. My condolences and prayers to all of you that this applies to.

Diane

no offence to anyone, don't get me wrong, but really enough with the crying pictures, different posters and face expressions of PLitizia crying, it did not feel right to open every link to see same thing differently, the video is enough. Good thing she has a very supportive warm family, not easy loosing a family member:cry:

Duncan said:
In case someone is curious, here are the videos of the speech by Pilar Rahola on "Channel No.4" (Cuatro TV, Feb.8) I mentioned before, in which she blames Jaime Peñafiel on the article he published today about this matter.

YouTube - Pilar Rahola: "A Jaime Peñafiel se le ha ido la mano"

YouTube - Pilar Rahola: "A Jaime Peñafiel se le ha ido la mano"(2)

This woman had used the correc words to dsecribe what Peñafiel is, A MOUNSTER.

Icouldn't agree more with her and the all panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom