Christening of Infanta Leonor: January 14, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Elsa M. said:
It's strange that he wasn't with his parents... all the other children were...

Felipe was in the place that was corresponding to him, he approached when he was called by his grandmother, was the most formal. But the rest of children wanted to be in the first row, and instead of being kept in their place they went away with their parents. In this occasion they all were the naughty ones, and the most formal Felipe, he is becoming major.;)

The naughty boy has become a young gentleman... Hm, I'll miss his kicks :D

Thank yuo everyone for the lovely photographs and video links. they are all so beautiful.

In Islam we don't have an equivalent to a christening but seeing these photos almost makes me wish we did! What a wonderful family-orientated and happy affair. I love the fact that they've kept the entire affair private and inimtate, it gives it such an elegant and understated feel. It makes it seem more "normal", something the Spanish Royal Family always seems to strive for and attain.

Letizia looks beautiful, she is glowing on her day as the "proud Mummy"! Felipe looks like he's itching to get his hands on his little princess" As for little Leonor, an absolutely sweetheart! She is so very very cute!

Telma and Paloma looked gorgeous! Will Telma be staying in Spain now or continuing her humanitarian work?

A wonderful day for all involved!

Last edited:
http://www.lasprovincias.es/valencia/pg060116/actualidad/sociedad/200601/16/RC-leonor.html

The baptism of Infanta Leonor is already destined to become one of the social events included in the 2006 summaries. For that reason, the “magazines of the heart” have decided to anticipate their publication to Monday. All of them take the historical celebration on their covers.

Hola dedicates an ample news article to the event.

Semana emphasizes in its cover that the first-born of the Princes of Asturias had her paternal grandparents, Their Majesties the King and Queen, as the godparents and emphasizes that the ceremony was "intimate and familiar". In addition, it makes a route through other baptisms of the royal Family.

For Diez Minutos, this was "the great day of Leonor", and this is the title of the news article. Like other magazines, also Diez Minutos includes a photographic route through the baptisms of the other European princes, during the last years.

Lecturas has on its cover the photo of both families, gathered for the great day of the baptism of Infanta Leonor de Todos los Santos Borbón Ortiz. Several photos emphasize that little Leonor received caresses and affectionate gestures from the whole family.

Elsa M. said:
Was Leonor named Borbón y Ortiz or Borbón-Ortiz?... There was a discussion about it, some time ago, but I didn't read any news about it...
It seems I got the answer now...

Last edited:
Another couple of photos, now without watermarks. From Hola:

Attachments

• leonor-5a.jpg
    leonor-5a.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 334
  • leonor-8a.jpg
    leonor-8a.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 466
I love the pic they used in the second magazine. She is cute and her smile just melts my heart. I love her.

OMG! Letizia looked amazing!! It's so good to see her again.. Haven't seen her that much since she has been giving birth to Leonor.. And the pic where Little Leonor is smiling while she's asleep just.. *speechless* She looks like an angel..

Is an evidence, with her motherhood, Doña Letzia is becoming more "feminin" as others many women. And in her case, it's tremendous, because she is becoming so harmoniously beatiful, she is getting so plenty of calm and happyness, it's making her more "splendid" ;especially because her well know nervousness.....

to me, Leonor looks like Letizia's father...!

She has his father's eyes and his paternal grandmother's cheeks. Looks like the hair is all Letizia's, she will have one spectacular mane of hair when she grows older, much like Leti's younger sister. If she takes her height after her Dad's she will be also taller than Letizia, statuesque.

On a side note, I have to give credit for Letizia's steady and strong left arm, she did not let go of that baby for one second. I can't imagine how sore her arm was after that day since she appears in every photo holding Leonor in the same position. Not bad for a first time mom! :)

I also like that picture above with Leonor being inspected by her older female cousin. Speaking of Leonor's first cousins, anyone knows if Juan Carlos plans to give these children titles of any kind?

Last edited:
Toledo said:
I also like that picture above with Leonor being inspected by her older female cousin. Speaking of Leonor's first cousins, anyone knows if Juan Carlos plans to give these children titles of any kind?

I believe if he ever give them titles it would be on their marriage not before, but we have to wait and see:)
-------------------------***----------------------------------------**--------------------------------------*---------------
Well, I was right, Leonor's season of avatars is now in full force ;)

Last edited:
from hello

Princess Leonor Baptised in Intimate Madrid Service

Her grandmother Queen Sofia described Princess Leonor as a "a bit of crier" shortly after she was born in October. But when the daughter of Spain's Crown Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia was christened in a family ceremony this weekend there were smiles rather than tears...
After the Saturday afternoon service, 38-year-old Felipe had a tender kiss for his daughter, who'd slept through much of her big day. Clad in a cream gown, the royal infant only opened her eyes briefly as water from the River Jordan was sprinkled on her head by Madrid's Archbishop, Antonio Maria Rouco Varela.
ps. you can also watch a video, here

Last edited:
crisiñaki said:
I believe if he ever give them titles it would be on their marriage not before, but we have to wait and see:)
-------------------------***----------------------------------------**--------------------------------------*---------------
Well, I was right, Leonor's season of avatars is now in full force ;)

I do not believe that the King grants any title to them, since till now the King only has granted titles to the Infantes of Spain. Besides, when in 20 years these children marries, the most probable thing is that if there is monarchy the King is already Don Felipe, and the nephews of the king Juan Carlos do not have any title.;)

purple_platinum said:
so, anyway... do we finally get an answer on "where was Froilan?"

Already explain it yesterday. Froilán's images appeared yesterday in the public television. It seems that he was the only one that remained sat in his site, how a formal child, and only he came in a moment that his grandmother called him. The children had their bank to be sat, but it seems that for boredom or because they wanted to be in the first row they all went away with their parents, minor he that remained in his site, because of it he did not appear.;)

lula said:
Already explain it yesterday. Froilán's images appeared yesterday in the public television. It seems that he was the only one that remained sat in his site, how a formal child, and only he came in a moment that his grandmother called him. The children had their bank to be sat, but it seems that for boredom or because they wanted to be in the first row they all went away with their parents, minor he that remained in his site, because of it he did not appear.;)

sorry i missed that explanation amongst the many many posts...
haha.. glad to hear he was at the baptism...:)

my initial guess was that he was banned after that "kicking" incident... but... don't think of it too much.. i'm only joking :D ;)

Maybe he learned his lesson, after that incident, in any case, I hope we can see pictures of all the grandchildren together.

Pity there wasn't any "foto de familia" with all kids, like in case of Irene's christening.

What a beautiful baby Leonor is! I never pictured Letezia as a mother but it looks like motherhood agrees with her, she looks more happy and content that I have ever seen her before! :)

http://www.abc.es/abc/pg060117/prensa/noticias/Comunicacion/Comunicacion/200601/17/NAC-COM-121.asp

3.741.000 people tuned TVE-1 last Saturday to hear of the baptism of Infanta Doña Leonor. Telediario got 27,4% of the share and Telediario 1 got 4.306.000 spectators, with the 27,4% of the total share.

http://www.abc.es/abc/pg060117/prensa/noticias/Gente/Gente/200601/17/NAC-GEN-132.asp

Why have the images distributed by TVE and Efe deprived us of seing so many guests and relatives who attended the baptism of Infanta Doña Leonor? The truth is that the occasion deserved all kind of covers and even the weekly magazines have released their editions long before the usual date, in order to compete with the newspapers and televisions, which turned out to repeat the very same images, since there wasn’t more to be seen. Such lack of graphical material surely will contrast, and much, with the one that will arrive the next weekend from Denmark, where all the mass media may cover the ceremony, including TV stations, which will live broadcast the christening.

Last edited:
Well the spanish royals are much more down to earth and home-oriented. I dont expect much royal grandeur from them but rather intimate touching events. But I also love the danish and british way. Its nice to have a variety. The Danish one is huge I cant wait to watch it.

Elsa M. said:
http://www.abc.es/abc/pg060117/prensa/noticias/Gente/Gente/200601/17/NAC-GEN-132.asp

Why have the images distributed by TVE and Efe deprived us of seing so many guests and relatives who attended the baptism of Infanta Doña Leonor? The truth is that the occasion deserved all kind of covers and even the weekly magazines have released their editions long before the usual date, in order to compete with the newspapers and televisions, which turned out to repeat the very same images, since there wasn’t more to be seen. Such lack of graphical material surely will contrast, and much, with the one that will arrive the next weekend from Denmark, where all the mass media may cover the ceremony, including TV stations, which will live broadcast the christening.

How you can read the press in Spain never gets tired, they do what they do does not seem to them well. All want to have their own photos and their exclusive rights... and when the public agencies (TVE EFE) distribute them to not serve them because they cannot do bussiness.Because cannot fill to their programs of tv and magazines, because all have the same images.
The serious press and journalists have not protested.
This journalist puts how example the Danish baptism, but she forgets that the Spanish Royal Family and the Danish have little or nothing that to see ... and that if in Spain there was done a baptism like that they prepare in Denmark the political critiques and of the public opinion they would be terrifying.

The baptism has been equal to the one of all the grandsons of the Kings, and there had never been protests. The system that has used the Real House to yield the rights to mass media public is the same one that it has been used in baptisms, ceremonies and all official act where for reasons of space, privacy or security the press cannot accede. The peculiar thing is that to these "pink" journalists only import when is the baptism of Leonor, because is what they can criticize and which can to star speaking weeks....when it is a serious official act and of importace for the Spaniards... gives them absolutely equal. These journalists dedicated to the gossip are very selfish, and they don´t respect the work of the companions who do a serious work.

Leonor's baptism has been a game of balances, in a moment in which the Spanish politics is very warm. A baptism is an exclusively religious act without any political or institutional transcendency, because of it, it has been a familiar act. But in turn she is the daughter of the Inheritor to the Wreath and it does that an official representation has to exist. The Constitution establishes that Spain is a not denominational country ... there is no an official religion, though we are for the most part Catholics; Juan Carlos person can be a Catholic, but Juan Carlos Chief of State has to be impartial.

On the other hand, the official representation is, Leonor is an Infanta of Spain, and because of it the authorities are present. Leonor has been baptized by the Kings as godfathers and has been photographed close to the Power of the State ... it has been Leonor's recognition how future Queen. But today per today, the law does not assure it, and though there is a political and social agreement with regard to this matter .... the political reforms that have to be carried out are a very laborious way.

How you can read to organize Leonor's baptism has been not precisely easy. The serious journalists (not the journalists of the gossip) have praised and understood to the perfection the balance for that the Royal Family has looked.

Certainly, personally it gives me the impression of which the Royal Household, of which the Kings and the Princes want always and first of all to protect Leonor. Leonor raises a political problem ... and there exists the danger of which the politicians end up by turning the girl into a topic of debate or into a motive of clash. They are in a delicate position.

Last edited:
17 of January of 2006. After the rain of critics that has received the Royal Family a posteriori of the baptism of Doña Leonor on the part of the press the reaction has been more or less fast. So it is so the Real House has decided to make arrive at writings of mass media one "second delivery" from images to silence rumors.

For example, one of the listened to commentaries more was the one that was asked for díscolo Froilán

http://www.elsemanaldigital.com/arts/44585.asp

fanletizia said:
17 of January of 2006. After the rain of critics that has received the Royal Family a posteriori of the baptism of Doña Leonor on the part of the press the reaction has been more or less fast. So it is so the Real House has decided to make arrive at writings of mass media one "second delivery" from images to silence rumors.

For example, one of the listened to commentaries more was the one that was asked for díscolo Froilán

http://www.elsemanaldigital.com/arts/44585.asp

This news manipulates lightly the reality. The critiques have been of a small group of journalists of the "pink" press, angered for not having had access to the baptism.
This video was emitted in TVE's Television newscast, it was another recording of the baptism that the public television had done in a new digital format of high definition in order which the images were staying in the public files. It is true that in these images if Froilán was appearing.

I am not journalists and therefore I try to see in an objective way this topic since it me does not influence the most minimal thing.

It is not the first time that the private televisions and those who are employed at them criticize TVE for retaining images. The TVE they take obligation as a law to distribute free the sign of these images .... but always they guard a little ... and other televisions protest.

The Royal Household is the Headquarters of the State and obligation has that activities them cover the public mass media ... that then these mass media do the things badly it is not their fault, and is something that is in the habit of examining the Parliament.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I AM SORRY TO SPREAD SO MUCH, BUT IT IS THAT IT OFFENDS ME TO READ THE ARTICLES OF CERTAIN JOURNALISTS THAT THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS FOR THEM IS THEY THEMSELVES AND TO DO THEIR BUSINESS.... THEY DEGRADE TO THE PROFESSION... THE IMPORTANT THING IS TO REPORT...WHAT MATTERS FOR THE PEOPLE IS THAT THEY INFORM THEM WELL... WE ARE NOT INTERESTED IN THE WARS BETWEEN MASS MEDIA AND JOURNALISTS

Last edited:
purple_platinum said:
from hello
ps. you can also watch a video, here

Thanks for the link, but I have to say I hated that video because of the horrid music added to it. Made me think of that movie Farinelli, the castrated singer :eek:

On the issue between the reporters and the religious ceremony, everybody wants to pick up a fight, to take a stand just to get their point across or a quotation on the news. In the USA, our Government has blended extreme right religion to politics and policy in a way it would scandalize you overseas. So, what's the big issue with the Borbon family having a baptism. Do these Penafiel-ians people criticize with the same intensity other governments imposing particular beliefs? No.

So, pay no attention to these yellow press Penafielians, their attacks to the monarchy are as shallow as the intentions behind it. They just want to be the ones with the quote shown on TV or written press.

Jeje, another Peñafiel-hater, I know I could count on you Toledo and with all the SRF followers like us:D

I used to enjoy his columns every now and then, plus, he has helped the King in covering up some of the royal debris he used to leave behind when Juan Carlos used to 'wander' away ;) . But, when he went on rampage against Letizia's family and used his column to humilliate their humble origins I saw him for the elitist snob he really is.
Even on the article (linked above) that he wrote down on Leonor's baptism he still spills his venom against Letizia's family.

He should just get over it.

Toledo said:
Thanks for the link, but I have to say I hated that video because of the horrid music added to it. Made me think of that movie Farinelli, the castrated singer :eek:

So, pay no attention to these yellow press Penafielians, their attacks to the monarchy are as shallow as the intentions behind it. They just want to be the ones with the quote shown on TV or written press.

yes, i noticed that too, Toledo. perhaps they just want to add a bit majestic to the ceremony. ;)

Back
Top Bottom