Christening of Infanta Leonor: January 14, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is another thing that can influence. Former, the babies were baptized with a few days, at least in case of Spain. There was many infantile mortality and because of it they were baptized soon, even the same day in which they were born. For example, the Prince Felipe was baptized with 8 days. I imagine that for the women who have just given to light it was more comfortable that the godmother was holding the baby during the ceremony.
Today in day the babies are baptized by several months and the mothers are more recovered.;)

To the curiosity of if they would travel soon to Covadonga, Letizia Ortiz confirmed that they would go, but "we do not know when".

Don Felipe carried out an anecdote that made smile to all. He believed to understand that an informer asked to him for when the second son and very solved answered that "naturally" they will be put to it.

Calm, with the calm voice, the Prince carried out the reading of Ezequiel prophet.

http://www.canarias7.es/impresa/articulo.cfm?Id=1200679

fanletizia said:
Don Felipe carried out an anecdote that made smile to all. He believed to understand that an informer asked to him for when the second son and very solved answered that "naturally" they will be put to it.
That episode has now become an anecdote...:D

http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/81527/0/Bautizo/Leonor/Letizia/

The most spontaneous episode had Prince Felipe as the protagonist. During a brief informal meeting with the journalists, just before the baptism and after the official photos, Don Felipe was asked if Leonor would have only one name. As did not hear it well, he thought they were asking him about the number of children. "No, we will have many more" he said!

Apparently the same “deafness” the heir accused on the day of his sister’s engagement (when he was asked about his own wedding) has served now to show that he has changed his plans and surpassed the expectations… Perhaps now he wants to have "more than four and less than ten".

lucys said:
Canadian television reported on the baptism?! I am surprised. I expect the Spanish royals to be covered by the Latin community worldwide, and I see them often covered in french and italian and portugues press, for example, but I admit I am suprised that a canadian show reported on it.

the Canadian media usually has good coverage of world news (esp. compared to the US media). The wedding of Felipe and Letizia was reported here, as well as the birth of Leonor. I also remember, way before I became interested in royalty, the weddings of Haakon/Mette-Marit and Infanta Cristina were also covered here.
Infact the only place I was able to catch anything on the christening was on canadian tv, I looked through some French, Italian, and BBC newsreports but couldnt find anything.

Can someone give me an English translation of Felipe saying Letizia "esta haciendo pesas" -- is it like "she is carrying all the weight [of the baby]"? I'd appreciate it.

And heartfelt thanks to all of you who have posted pictures and elaborated with commentary on the baptism. As with all this couple does, I thought the baptism once again demonstrated elegance and class -- they are a dear little family.

Literally, it means "she is doing weights". It's equivalent to the English expression "she is weight-lifting"

Here's a great newspaper frontpage for tomorrow: Leonor's Smile, for elperiodico.

Attachments

• PAG001.jpg
    PAG001.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 375
lucys said:
Here's a great newspaper frontpage for tomorrow: Leonor's Smile, for elperiodico.

that is of course the perfect photo for the front page of a paper!

Dont take me wrong please but I wonder what's wrong with little Leonor nose? Is red and Letizia, being a right handed person had it always on her left hand like trying to hide something. Look at the close ups. She have something on her little nose.

I noticed it too, but thought that it might be lipstick where some lady kissed the baby.

I think maybe she scratched her nose.

I don´t think Letizia was trying to hide anything, she holded the baby that way because she actually had to use her right hand to shake hands, hold the candle, etc.

As for the mark in Leonor´s nose, it could be anything, babies have very delicate skin so i guess any little scratch would be very noticeable.

Sometimes it takes a while for babies pores to open properly, and so they can get problems from that. But she looks like a little angel with that smile,she looks sooooo cute and Letizia looks really really proud and happy. I also love the photo of Queen Sofia shushing the boys!so funny!

Small babies tend to scratch themselves when they start to move their little hands or the sore could be from a cold.

Leonore is a most adorable little girl. Some babies are just cute beyond words.

I read someone's earlier post that the media was criticizing Letizia for holding Leonor for the entire duration of the christening. Is that really true? Isn't it typical for the mother to be the one to hold the baby during the christening and no one else?

Thanks!

The christening looks like it was lovely! Leonor is such a beautiful baby! Her poor little nose looks sore, but it is very common for babies to scratch their noses and cheeks, especially if their finger nails are a bit too long. I hope the Spanish RF had a great day with the bapstism of Leonor!

Emily

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally we get to see this cutie smiling, the wait was worth it:)
Letizia looked stunning and about Cristina & Iñaki they didn't look angry or sad if you see the video, besides they have to keep track of their 4 kids; the SRF seems to have an amazing family relationship, they are very close if you see the pictures: Iñaki carrying Pablo, Irene making Jaime laugh (score one for her, I can see her and Leonor breaking hearts in a few years along with all the other kids), the Queen kissing her grand and godaughter, everything seemed like they are a real close family:D

the negative part of the day was brought by no other than Peñafiel (what were you expecting from this "person"?:mad: ); God, nothing satisfies that man, nothing that Letizia does is right, what the HELL does he want? to go back to the XIX century? now he's not only critizicing her but her family as well, they are "so low" to be a part of the SRF, he's the low one because he cannot accept their happiness, he lives in the past and thinks that his word is sacred, I believe it is BS of the worst kind...

Note: all the Kings' grandchildren are VERY good looking, the Prince and the Infantas brought awesome new blood to the family, good for them and

GO SRF!!!!:D

fanletizia said:
Queen Sofia has not taken to its granddaughter to the baptismal battery, like Queen Victoria Eugenia made with Infante Felipe, because of the liturgy reforms, Jaime Peñafiel said, amen :D

http://www.estrelladigital.es/articulo.asp?sec=opi&fech=14/01/2006&name=penafiel2

Thanks for the link, fanletizia :)

:mad: That nasty Penafiel never ceases an opportunity to attack Leti, and this time he went even further and attacked King Juan Carlos' grand kids calling them 'mal educados' (means ill manered) on the third paragraph. He even had the nerve to say the kids, Leonor's first cousins, should have been left all at home! How dare he! Then he attacks Leti's humble family by saying it took Leonor to place both families at the same level. Then he insults his fellow reporters by calling them courtesan reporters just for promoting the idea of Leonor as a future Queen (fourth paragraph)
If our Royal Forums friends knew the venom behind his lines they would be fumming too at that tabloid pseudo writer.
But this is an ocassion for joy, and his poison darts against Leti and her family won't find the target this time.

Last edited:
I think he's the maleducado one. Does he have his own bad critics in Spain? I would think that all the ridiculous things he says about Letizia and her family that he would have a few from his fellow journalists, eh?

http://www.lavanguardia.es/web/20060115/51217583109.html

Baptism of State for Leonor

The Infanta receives the sacrament before the representatives of three power

MARIÁNGEL ALCÁZAR - 15/01/2006
Madrid

In arms of her mother, the princess of Asturias, with the Kings like godfathers and without spilling not even an alone tear, the infanta Leonor received yesterday the baptismal waters in a ceremony, of familiar character, but with institutional presence informed in the palace of the Zarzuela. The baptism of the girl, placed in the second place of the successor order to the Wreath, there was informed by the cardinal archbishop of Madrid, Antonio Maria Rouco Varela, who on having spilt on her head the blessed water imposed Leonor de Todos Los Santos name . At the ceremony the royal family was present in plenary session and the representatives of the high institutions of the State headed by the prime minister, Jose Luis Rodríguez Zapatero. The ceremony allowed for the first time, from the wedding of the Princes, to return to assemble the relatives of don Felipe and dona Letizia.

The representatives' presence of three power of the State - executive, legislative and judicial - made concrete in an official photo of high symbolic value, in which there appear the princes of Asturias and the infanta Leonor together with the prime minister, Jose Luis Rodríguez Zapatero; that of the Congress, Manuel Marín; that of the Senate, Javier Rojo; the chairwoman of the Constitutional Court, Maria Emilia Casas, and that of the General Council of the Judicial Power, Francisco Jose Hernando.
The image, which there took the official photographer of the House of the King little before the baptism, can be qualified of historical since the links of the Wreath had never taken form of a photography with the power of the State. Though in many occasions the King has been photographed together with the representatives of the high institutions, there had never been obtained an official photo similar to the one that yesterday took in the Zarzuela.
The institutional representation, nevertheless, did not concern the formal development of the ceremony of the baptism, which was sober and of familiar character, very similar to those who were informed in the Zarzuela on the occasion of the baptisms of the children of the infantas dona Elenas and dona Cristina.
The celebration of the baptism began with a photographic session that took place in the lounge of hearings of the palace of the Zarzuela and in the one that the direct relatives of the girl put: parents, grandparents, great-grandfathers and uncles.

Since it is habitual, for a few years, in the catholic baptisms, she was the mother and not the godmother who brought the girl over to the baptismal sink while the officiant was asking the parents and the godfathers if they were promising to educate the neófita in the catholic fe. The infanta Leonor, very calm during the whole morning, scarcely altered when monsignor Rouco Varela spilt the blessed water, of the Jordan, on her head.
The officiant imposed on the girl the name Leonor de todos los Santos , breaking thereby with a tradition of the royal family and of the catholic Church that allows to include in the record of the baptism an indeterminate number of names with those who normally were remembered to the relatives or the saint of the day was honored.
After the rite of the baptism, the Princes prayed before the image of the Vírgen arranged to the effect, while a nuns' choir was intoning religious compositions.
With regard to the religious character of the celebration, IU side it expressed yesterday a communique in which it was criticizing that " a private act ", as the baptism of the Infanta Leonor, had turned " into a ceremony of State " that, according to the mentioned political formation, " does not respect the constitutional separation between Church and State ".
The formation that Gaspar Llamazares directs also expressed the " respect towards the private decision " of the Princes of Asturias of baptizing their daughter following the rites of the catholic religion.
After the ceremony of the baptism of the infanta Leonor de Borbón, the Kings offered a banquet to the guests.

http://www.lavanguardia.es/web/20060115/51217583147.html

" We will have more children, assurance "

The Prince announces his intention of increasing the family

MARIÁNGEL ALCÁZAR - 15/01/2006
Madrid

Leonor will not be alone, we will have more children, assurance ". Don Felipe doubted not even an instant: little before the beginning of the ceremony of the baptism of the infanta Leonor, the Prince publicized his desire to increase the family. The reality is that the one who this signs asked the Princes if " she was going to be only Leonor " refiriéndose to the first name of the girl, but don Felipe dealt if she was going to be the only daughter and answered with the round one: " We Will Have more children, assurance ", exposing thereby the desire of the couple to give brothers the baby.
The words of don Felipe took place after the photographic session in which the infanta Leonor was a center of attention, dressed in the suit of christening that don Juan Carlos, his grandfather and godfather, put on in Rome 68 years ago. The girl, in whom already there are felt features of the family Ortiz, supported the eyes closed during the photographic session and the walk that the Princes did between the representatives of the present mass media; dona Letizia explained it good and calm that is her daughter. The Queen did not curtail caresses to her granddaughter and goddaughter and rectified what explained to a few hours of being born the girl. Dona Sofía said then that the infanta Leonor was very weeping, but yesterday she affirmed that " everything remains repealed ". The girl, assured the Queen, " she is very calm and beautiful ".

Cover of the newspaper elpais

Attachments

• 20060115elpepipag_1_Ies_SCO.jpg
    20060115elpepipag_1_Ies_SCO.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 1,335
Back
Top Bottom