World Economic Forum, Davos: 2000-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guess Who

Nobility
picture of the couple in switzerland, January 2000

Attachments

• aaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    aaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 565
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 635
Last edited by a moderator:
WEF Annual Meeting 2000

Queen Rania of Jordan listening to the speech of her husband, King Abdullah II in the plenary hall of the Davos congress center January 30. Queen Rania is amongst 2,000 high ranking representatives from the world of politics and economics participating in the World Economic Forum's 30th annual meeting.

Attachments

• switzerland02.jpg
    switzerland02.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 524
Queen Rania at the World Economic Forum

Pics 1-4: in 2002

Pics 5-7: In 2003

From Getty and Petra:

Attachments

• 696995.jpg
    696995.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 2,162
  • 696997.jpg
    696997.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 531
  • 696999.jpg
    696999.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 713
  • 51986959.jpg
    51986959.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 437
  • Davos+++++29+Jan+03+%231.jpeg
    Davos+++++29+Jan+03+%231.jpeg
    14.6 KB · Views: 2,233
  • Davos+++++29+Jan+03+%232.jpeg
    Davos+++++29+Jan+03+%232.jpeg
    16.2 KB · Views: 2,162
  • Davos+++++29+Jan+03+%233.jpeg
    Davos+++++29+Jan+03+%233.jpeg
    19.6 KB · Views: 2,204
World Economic Forum Annual Session, Davos: 2006, 2007, 2008 & 2010

Queen Takes Part in the World Economic Forum in Davos

Amman, Jan. 25 (Petra) -- Her Majesty Queen Rania Al-Abdullah will join other world leaders at the Annual Meeting of the World Economic Forum (WEF), which is being held in Davos, Switzerland, from January 25, 2006 through to January 29, 2006. Queen Rania will participate in an interactive session, on Thursday, January 26, entitled Muslim Societies in the Modern World, which will focus on the key challenges facing the Muslim world today. Moderated by renowned writer, Thomas Friedman, the session will include the presidents of Afghanistan and Pakistan as well as the prime ministers of Iraq and Malaysia. She will also be meeting a group of Young Global Leaders (YGLs) to discuss their ongoing programs. Based in Geneva, Switzerland, the Forum of Young Global Leaders is an independent, non-profit organization, supervised by the Swiss Government and established by Professor Klaus Schwab in 2004. It acts in close cooperation with the World Economic Forum. On Saturday, January 28, Queen Rania will deliver the opening remarks at a session on the Global Education Initiative, entitled Transforming Education through Public Private Partnerships. She will also be participating in the said session's panel discussion about advancing education through new collaborative and sustainable models of public private partnerships, using, as an example amongst others, the Jordan Education Initiative, as the pioneer project in both Jordan and the region. Her Majesty is also expected to attend several meetings, in her capacity as the head of the YGL Nomination Committee, and the only Arab member of the World Economic Forum Foundation Board. The WEF's 2006 meeting will include heads of state, business leaders, academicians and key NGO representatives, amongst other leading personalities. //Petra//Shniqat 251600 Local JAN 2006 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/Jan/25/30204900.htm

Good to know that the Queen will be at Davos after an absence of two years.
Last year she was pregnant and in 2004 she fractured her leg.
Haven't seen any pictures yet.

she is not mentioned in the opening forum at cnn. does anyone have access to CNN Pipeline? they are giving a livestream of the world economic forum but i don't have access to it and I don't think it's worth paying for just for 1 event :)

madonna23 said:
she is not mentioned in the opening forum at cnn. does anyone have access to CNN Pipeline? they are giving a livestream of the world economic forum but i don't have access to it and I don't think it's worth paying for just for 1 event :)

I dont think she was at the opening plenary session, atleast I haven't seen her in any of the pictures on Getty.

Cant wait to see all the pictures of the Queen at Davos, starting tomorrow.

In the meahwhile I found a rather humorous article on the inaugural session of the WEF.

Here's an excerpt that mentions the various royals attending the event:

You want royalty? I offer Crown Prince Haakon of Norway, Prince Philippe of Belgium, Crown Prince Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands, and Queen Rania of Jordan. (In my "Davos" Impromptus from Jordan last spring, I referred to the queen as a "smokin' hottie," which brought in a lot of mail — all in agreement.)

http://www.nationalreview.com/impromptus/impromptus200601250837.asp

The rest of the article mentions all the other notable figures attending the WEF session.

Last edited:
In my "Davos" Impromptus from Jordan last spring, I referred to the queen as a "smokin' hottie," which brought in a lot of mail — all in agreement.

oh wow... that is interesting... smoking hottie... haha...

(In my "Davos" Impromptus from Jordan last spring, I referred to the queen as a "smokin' hottie," which brought in a lot of mail — all in agreement.)

Is that good or bad:confused:

Neither. The article is meant to be taken in fun.

For those of you who are interested, CNN will be covering the WEF from Davos over the next few days. You can find the details and schedule of the tv coverage in this article:

CNN shines spotlight on Davos
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/01/24/davos.tv/index.html

Queen Rania will be taking part in a WEF session today and it can be seen live at the WEF website, starting at 17:30, I believe that is 6 hours from now.
The webcast can be seen at the link at the end of this post:

Muslim Societies in the Modern World

As Muslim societies modernize and become integrated into the global economy, tensions are rising over the pace and breadth of change.

1) How are leaders in different Muslim countries balancing the demands of modernism and tradition?
2) What are the challenges that Muslim societies have in common with other nations experiencing rapid change?
3) What challenges are unique to political leaders in Muslim societies when trying to navigate shifting attitudes and new mindsets?

• Hajim Alhasani, President of the Iraq National Assembly
  • Hamid Karzai, President of Afghanistan
  • Pervez Musharraf, President of Pakistan
  • H.M. Queen Rania of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, Member of the Foundation Board of the World Economic Forum
Chaired by
  • Thomas L. Friedman, Columnist, Foreign Affairs, The New York Times, USA
http://gaia.unit.net/wef/worldeconomicforum_annualmeeting2006/default.aspx?sn=16038

Last edited:
Queen Raina of Jordan smiles during the 'Muslim Societies in the Modern World' session at the World Economic Forum (WEF) in Davos, Switzerland, January 26, 2006.

(from ap & reuters via yahoo)

mlky80.jpg
mlkydt.jpg
mlkygy.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 2,334
  • r3737676790.jpg
    r3737676790.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 2,314
  • r3680770323.jpg
    r3680770323.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 2,056
  • r1033211190.jpg
    r1033211190.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 5,303
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 2,110
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 2,209
Last edited:
1-4. DAVOS, Switzerland: Queen Rania of Jordan talks with Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf during the session "Muslim Societies in the Modern World" at the World Economic Forum in Davos 26 January 2006.
(from getty)

5-6. Member of the Foundation Board of the WEF, H.M. Queen Rania of Jordan speaks and is shown on the big screen during a plenary entitled 'Muslim Societies in the Modern World' at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Thursday Jan. 26, 2006. The second day of the World Economic Forum's annual meeting promised a blend of celebrity and brass tacks talk of the issues facing the global community, ranging from security against terror to advancing human rights and the struggle against poverty and disease.

Attachments

• 56674198.jpg
    56674198.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 635
  • 56674214.jpg
    56674214.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 634
  • 56674218.jpg
    56674218.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 473
  • 56674222.jpg
    56674222.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 436
  • AP570626_guest.jpg
    AP570626_guest.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 548
  • AP570641_guest.jpg
    AP570641_guest.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 570
~humera~, thanks for the link!
Boy, if one thing could be said about late King Hussein and current King Abdullah of Jordan, it would be that they were wise to marry women who are very well 'endowed' in the brain department!!
Now, I don't know whether Rania's comments at the world economic forum were prepped by someone else, or whether it was completely rehearsed, but all the same, this lady rocks! Should Jordan ever decide to abolish its monarchy, I'd say: Rania For President! :)

Slightly off topic: while listening to her, I couldn;t help but thinking the following:
*Rania is in a league of her own compared to her age peers in other royal circles: she is a true political talent!
*how how how on earth does she do it: be stunning (ok she purchased that one with plastic surgery), while being rail thin and fashionable while being a supposedly hands-on mom while being an all-out well informed, eloquent, politician...! Whew, who knew one single human being could do all this??!! Sure she has help, but still..how does she do it???

Queen Rania actually said in an interview that she was "terrified" the first time she addressed the WEF. She had and has to hold her own at an event such as this, among so many world and business leaders. So I agree completely princess olga.
well except the part about the surgery. She has only has her nose fixed which only brought out her features. Plastic surgery doesnt give you good bone structure or beautiful eyes. Ofcourse there's a lot of nay-sayers who'd have you believe otherwise. But thats beside the point.
I missed the live webcast but I will watch the on-demand broadcast tonight.

some image captures I made:

Last edited:
Thanks for all the pictures, I particularly like this one of Mushurraf and Rania having a giggle.
attachment.php

I don't think they met when she was in Pakistan, although Abdullah definitely did meet with Musharraf.
It's good to see a muslim woman on the panel, it's such a shame she is the only one there. Maybe next year there will be another muslim woman joining Rania on the panel.

Oh i know. Judging from the pictures there were light moments during the discussion which is why I was disappointed that the webcast was cut down to 10 minutes.
I dont think Queen Rania met with President Musharraf last year either. She called on his wife though.
I think the people in the panel were chosen because they represent leaders who are dealing with extreme elements on their societies. So maybe gender wasn't a particular consideration for this discussion. Its not like there's a particular shortage of Muslim women who are qualified to speak on the subject.

Hilde Schwab and H.M. Queen Rania of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, Member of the Foundation Board of the World Economic Forum captured during the session 'Not Gone, but Almost Forgotten' at the Annual Meeting 2006 of the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, January 27, 2006.

from newscom

Attachments

• sipaphotos370188.jpg
    sipaphotos370188.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 687
I agree.. Queen Rania is indeed a beautiful and smart woman.. She's a superwoman! Hahaha ;)

Queen Rania was also present for the session on how celbreites/famous people can help raise money for different good causes or give different causes attention, the discussion was led by Crown Prince Haakon, also present was Maichael Doglas, Peter Gabriel, Professor in Economy Xavier Sala-i-Martin at Columbia University in New York, Founder for Women for Women International Zainab Saldi, Head of UN developments program Peter Pilot
http://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/2006/01/28/456108.html

she also met with Norwegian PRimeminister Jens Stoltenberg, they have worked together on the GAVI board (vaccination program)for many years, here he gratulated her on the birth of her son

VG

Last edited:
"I think the people in the panel were chosen because they represent leaders who are dealing with extreme elements on their societies. So maybe gender wasn't a particular consideration for this discussion. Its not like there's a particular shortage of Muslim women who are qualified to speak on the subject."

I'm sure gender wasn't the only factor, but it's good to see a muslim woman on the panel. I would have been disappointed if there hadn't been any at all.

The top underneath Rania's jacket looks a little like the one she wore on her Oprah broadcast only a few days ago.

The session involving Queen Rania and Presidents Musharraf and Karzai came to the conclusion that the Muslim world has to modernize but that modernization is not Westernization. Rather, as Rania put it, the West should not try to influence Islam or manipulate it, but rather take time to understand it. Oversimplification of Islam and its culture, she warned, “can be a very dangerous thing in this day and age”. She is absolutely right. But it is not only the West that does it and has to stop; so too does the Muslim extremist. Indeed, dialogue has to involve the extremists and those they influence; otherwise they will continue doing what they do
http://www.aljazeerah.info/Opinion .../January/28 o/Dialogue at Davos Arab News.htm
The entire piece is quite interesting

suPeRgiRL! said:
I agree.. Queen Rania is indeed a beautiful and smart woman.. She's a superwoman! Hahaha ;)

oh yes...And she is genius! isn't she even writing books as they said:)

Last edited:
Little_star said:
The session involving Queen Rania and Presidents Musharraf and Karzai came to the conclusion that the Muslim world has to modernize but that modernization is not Westernization. Rather, as Rania put it, the West should not try to influence Islam or manipulate it, but rather take time to understand it. Oversimplification of Islam and its culture, she warned, “can be a very dangerous thing in this day and age”. She is absolutely right.

I usually like listening to President Musharraf speak on such subjects. He was the one who mentioned that extremists confuse modernization with westernization. Which is infact not true. He mentioned how Islam advocates acquiring knowledge, keeping current with modern developments etc.
I also really like the point Queen Rania made about trying to understand Islam, not influencing or manipulating it, which could alienate Muslims even more, that it was very important to get the nuances right.
They even talked about the latest events, ie. the Hamas victory in Palestine.
It was a very good discussion. I'd have loved to be there in Davos and watch it in person.

fanletizia said:
Hilde Schwab and H.M. Queen Rania of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, Member of the Foundation Board of the World Economic Forum captured during the session 'Not Gone, but Almost Forgotten' at the Annual Meeting 2006 of the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, January 27, 2006.

same picture from Abaca press

Queen outlines 'big ambitions' for Jordanian youth

AMMAN (JT) — Her Majesty Queen Rania on Saturday underscored Jordan's commitment to remain at the “cutting edge of the cutting edge” in education, as the Jordan Education Initiative (JEI) transforms into a global model for innovation in education following groundbreaking success.

In her opening remarks at the World Economic Forum session entitled `Global Education Initiative: Transforming Education Through Public Private Partnerships,' the Queen spoke of the power of education in creating “new constellations of opportunity.” She added that in order to “unleash that power worldwide,” the world “must tackle three critical challenges: Ensuring access... improving quality... and providing the right teaching for our times.”
http://www.jordantimes.com/sun/homenews/homenews2.htm

Pictures from Petra

Last edited:
I definitely admire the way Queen Rania approaches such problems and how she tries to place a distinct perspective on it. She really is a unique Middle Eastern personage.

from DPA

Queen Rania of Jordan participates in a plenary session on Muslim Societies , during the World Economic Forum WEF in Davos , Switzerland , Thursday , January 26 , 2006. The WEF gathers corporate and political heads as well as prominent figures of showbusiness and sports to talk about the state of the world.

from corbis

Queen Rania of Jordan participates in a plenary session on Muslim Societies, during the World Economic Forum WEF in Davos, Switzerland. The WEF gathers corporate and political heads as well as prominent figures of showbusiness and sports to talk about the state of the world.

"I usually like listening to President Musharraf speak on such subjects. He was the one who mentioned that extremists confuse modernization with westernization. Which is infact not true. He mentioned how Islam advocates acquiring knowledge, keeping current with modern developments etc.
I also really like the point Queen Rania made about trying to understand Islam, not influencing or manipulating it, which could alienate Muslims even more, that it was very important to get the nuances right.
They even talked about the latest events, ie. the Hamas victory in Palestine.
It was a very good discussion. I'd have loved to be there in Davos and watch it in person."

From what I've read it did seem quite an interesting discussion. Objective, fair and balanced, just what is needed on such a topic and something you so rarely find.
So far as Hamas is concerned I would have liked the panel to have made more condemnatory (have I just made a new word, that doesn't sound quite right?!) remarks but I guess they were playing it safe.

They have to play it safe, especially Rania as she is of Palestinian origins and also as most of the population in Jordan is of Palestuinian origin and a lot of people there have sympathy with Hamas as they state that Israel has no right to exist, especially those old enough to remember and have experienced the Nakba.

Back
Top Bottom