Queen Rania's visit to New York: March 12-13, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are some of the facts...

Hello Everyone,

After reading this posting and hearing other individuals talking about this issue; I would like to share some of the facts. {My disclaimer: these facts are based on learning outcomes from grad school}. Hope this disclaimer gets me around the website rules. :lol:

Facts - what Raina said MAY be true. However, no one actually knows how many young girls or females are not being properly educated or provided for. Here is why, the reporting is NEVER accurate. Let's take a member state such as Jordan. Jordan will report to the UN how many people are in the state, how many jobs are available, how many citizens, expats, college students...are living there. Now what happens is...

* if there are (just estimating) 5 millions people in Jordan
* available jobs for 4.1 million (regardless of full-time or part time)
* and there are an estimate 900,000 people who are unable to have access to education, training, adaquate housing or food. Then Jordan can request funding for other member states to help subside this gap. However, before funding is provided Jordan must create a strategic plan on how they plan to provide these 900,000 citizen with education, training, housing (making them self-sufficient). Here is the problem, 1.) Thoses member states who commit funding sometimes doesn't pay the full amount they commit and 2.) the money that gets paid rarely, makes it to those who should benefit. {This is not to say, this is happening in Jordan, this is just an example}. Therefore, those people who should benefit usually don't get the help they need.

There are five major financial contributors: China, US, UK, Germany, and France...AKA "the big five". So when the big five doesn't give the full amount they get food from some humantarian support. The problem with getting humantarian support is those who support lesser financial stable states also support the food bank.

I hope I didn't bore you by now...the major problem is there is no accountabilty with giving funding...! It is something that makes me bang my head every time I hear there are 5 million in this member state (country) hungry or uneducated and 10 million here hungry or uneducated...WHERE IS THE ACCOUNTABILITY! :bang: That is what Rania should have talked about...When they have these conferences they talk about blah...blah..blah..They don't address the real issues. I was given two tickets (due to my profession) to attend this meeting, however I don't want to hear the problem I want the solution! My two interns went and they said the food was great, nice to see the people and that's it...blah..blah.. I hope I did not bore anyone, but the facts are so important.

Kind regards, :whistling:

Queen Rania's speech and her wonderful conversation with Katie Couric can be seen here:
Part 11 "The Lives Of Girls" on Women in the World - live streaming video powered by Livestream

Queen Rania: Educating Girls a Life-or-Death Issue
"I really do think this is a do or die year and I don't mean that metaphorically—education really can mean life or death," Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah of Jordan told NBC's Katie Couric this afternoon at the Women in the World summit. Queen Rania, a long-time advocate for girls' education, made an impassioned plea for a sense of urgency about educating the developing world's 600 million girls instead of condemning them to lives of poverty and disease. Highlights of the Women in the World Summit - Page 1 - The Daily Beast

I made a few screen caps:
Image Gallery

Ah but Queen Rania wasn't there to ask governments for funding or hold them accountable. She's not a politician.
In fact she said in San Remo that she believed it isn't politicians who can affect real change.
1Goal is about promoting global education through the use of media, social networking sites and NGOs.

"With mobile phone technology, twitter and facebook, “we can rally the masses around causes we care about.” This is not only about raising money, stressed Her Majesty, but rescuing survivors and reconnecting loved ones as exemplified in the aftermath of the Haiti quake.
“if we can leverage synergies between the worlds of media, social online networks, and NGOs working with girls, we can do something that’s never been done before. We can make girls’ voices and videos of their lives go viral, we can be their mouthpieces and take their message to the masses, we can push politicians to prioritize girls in global politics.” Queen Rania advocates for Girl’s Education at Tina Brown’s Women in the World Summit: “Education really can mean life or death.” | Queen Rania

Hi Humera - I am not a politician either, however, I do believe politians can make changes. We can tweet, facebook and use ever social book imaginable, nevertheless, we are pushing the law makers (politicans) to change laws. Most NGO's are non-profit and depend on federal funding to make a change. Many US based NGO's took a huge hit, in fact Leah Whitfield was advocating for funding in the ME since the US now ulitizes "fellows" and less NGO's.

After reading your message I now believe maybe it is just me. Many "member states" such as Jordan have been asking for money for WELL OVER 30 years to educated the citizens.... How long does it take to build a school? I'll tell you what when they were seeking funding to built the airport, it got done:whistling:. There are many "member states" out there not doing right by their people, I just believe we need to advocate for accountabilty, not the fluff. Too many poeple are trying to so the same thing, yet, nothing is being done. And for the record Melanda Gates (Bill Gates) wife stated an education strategy for girls with Ophra Windfry and these two ladies didn't just talk, they built schools. :ROFLMAO:

Here's an idea, I'll take it to work with me on Monday. Maybe we should stop giving the "member states" money to built schools and give it to the NGO's????:flowers: Believe me, I do believe it is a shame and also believe change is needed. Lastly, just want to but it out there maybe we'll see Rania advocate for Haya UN seat, here job is up soon. It would be nice for more resprentation from the MIddle East.

Ah but Queen Rania wasn't there to ask governments for funding or hold them accountable. She's not a politician.
In fact she said in San Remo that she believed it isn't politicians who can affect real change.
1Goal is about promoting global education through the use of media, social networking sites and NGOs.

"With mobile phone technology, twitter and facebook, “we can rally the masses around causes we care about.” This is not only about raising money, stressed Her Majesty, but rescuing survivors and reconnecting loved ones as exemplified in the aftermath of the Haiti quake.
“if we can leverage synergies between the worlds of media, social online networks, and NGOs working with girls, we can do something that’s never been done before. We can make girls’ voices and videos of their lives go viral, we can be their mouthpieces and take their message to the masses, we can push politicians to prioritize girls in global politics.” Queen Rania advocates for Girl’s Education at Tina Brown’s Women in the World Summit: “Education really can mean life or death.” | Queen Rania

Well maybe that's exactly why Queen Rania has is looking for alternative ways to push this issue. If everyday people stand up for this cause or others for that matter, support NGOs and so on, we don't have to rely on the politicians so much. Eventually the politicians will be forced to take the issue on once they see it has resonance with the people. Raising awareness through the media, social networks and so on is a good idea. Not everyone might agree with it but it works and is something Queen Rania has embraced wholeheartedly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom