Queen Rania's trip to the US: October 23-26, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Queen Rania lends her support as (RED)'s Bobby Shriver unveils (RED)'s newest partnership with Hallmark

New York, Oct. 26 (Petra)-- Before concluding her trip to the United States, on Friday, Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah lent her continued support as (RED) Co-founder Bobby Shriver unveiled (RED)'s newest partnership with Hallmark Cards, Inc at a Hallmark Gold Crown store in New York. Eight percent of Hallmark (PRODUCT) RED net wholesale sales will go to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.

News
News

Picture
Supload.com // Free Image Hosting

Last edited:
My God I love her eyes!She has such deep set eyes,they draw you in

i just saw the GMA interview and absolutely love her. can anyone tell me how to write to her?

GMA is going to have more of the interview this 1/2 hour
it's on right now!
she was lovely, what a lyrical voice and so kind. she spoke of how important it was for her to learn to listen to her inner voice and put forward who she is not who others want her to be. quote "we must show the world ourselves". hopes women can be the bridge to peace, since we all share in common our responsibility to our children, as wives and professionals. "our tears are the same, same pain and tears- love in our hearts needs no translation". i admire her so much for her beauty inside and out.
cute story about her son, he's a teenager now and every phone call begins with "can i" it was very sweet and she talked about loving peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, at first she thought ewwwww, then she tasted it and had a scooby doo moment (you know when the cartoon dog, floats off the floor when he gets treats) they gave her a pbj sandwich at the end of the interview. i wish it'd been the whole 1/2 hour.

Last edited:
"our tears are the same, same pain and tears- love in our hearts needs no translation".

this was what touched me the most. she clealy understands what it is to want peace in the world no matter where we live or what our beliefs. this woman is a role model for EVERYONE. i wish we could see and hear her more often. :flowers:

Thank you Asturiana for putting a link to the video's on this website, it was a great interview!

I loved her lessons on ABC, I'm so glad the new generation of queens don't have that hoity toityness.. ;-)

Queen Rania lends her support as (RED)'s Bobby Shriver unveils (RED)'s newest partnership with Hallmark

Petra - Article Part 1

"(RED) is incredibly honored to have the continued support of Her Majesty from her Vanity Fair Africa issue cover photo with (RED) Co-founder Bono ,and (RED) supporter Mohammad Ali, to her presence here at today’s launch,” said (RED) Co-founder Bobby Shriver. “Queen Rania’s dedication to highlighting public health emergencies has helped thousands of women and children gain access to lifesaving antiretroviral medicine."

. . . Since its launch in March 2006, (RED) has generated more than $45 million for the Global Fund. This is more than nine times the amount that businesses have contributed to the Global Fund since it was founded in 2002. Current product partners include Converse, Gap, Motorola, Emporio Armani, Apple, and American Express (UK only). Petra - Article Part 2

London Features has tons of pictures from the RED event:
Photo Gallery

did anyone else feel the peanut butter/jelly and scooby doo references were a bit childish? i feel that she could have used those analogies for an elementary school audience...i can't even imagine someone saying this to high school students or even middle school students, much less women at a conference. i thought it was a bit patronizing and it was kind of funny how she made it sound so serious - the speech was a bit farcical in my opinion and i noticed that a few people who commented on her interview at GMA also had the same opinion. whoever wrote that speech should consider next time who the audience is.

it was also funny how ABC tried to make it into such a serious topic - Life Lessons from a Queen - I couldn't help but laughing...i hope others found it funny as well??? :) the media in general is just so funny in the way it presents material these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
did anyone else feel the peanut butter/jelly and scooby doo references were a bit childish? i feel that she could have used those analogies for an elementary school audience...i can't even imagine someone saying this to high school students or even middle school students, much less women at a conference. i thought it was a bit patronizing and it was kind of funny how she made it sound so serious - the speech was a bit farcical in my opinion and i noticed that a few people who commented on her interview at GMA also had the same opinion. whoever wrote that speech should consider next time who the audience is.

I actually have to disagree, I loved it and I think the Scooby Doo reference got a great response from the audience...Jamie Lee and the other guy didn't get laughs like that...

I think she was trying to express the smaller but incredibly profound lessons she's learned about diversity in early childhood, and I think she used Scooby Doo and Peanut Butter specifically so the American audience would have something familiar to relate to, it breaks down the walls of misconceptions about people in other countries, how we all have and enjoy similar things. I remember when I was young and went to Europe, I was shocked they had The Simpsons there and a lot of American brand foods; I was shocked to find QR watches Desperate Housewives...it's just saying we're more alike than we know :rolleyes:

Well considering how much the audience laughed at her joke, I think they'd disagree with you! It's not the first anecdote that would spring to mind but it was quite simple amd ultimately it works because it demonstrates her point that people are the same.

I can understand why people may not have liked the comment, but having seen some of the other speeches, eg. Jamie Lee Curtis, I think it fits the tone of the event.

I found this article about her session at CAA.

"[FONT=georgia,times new roman, times,serif][SIZE=-1] At CAA, she spoke under the auspices of the Foreign Policy Roundtable, a group that promotes better understanding of world affairs among entertainment industry leaders. Audience members included directors Taylor Hackford and Thomas Schlamme and producer Quincy Jones....."
JewishJournal.com

There's also a link to listen to what Rania was discussing.
http://jewishjournal.com/audio/queenrania.mp3

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited:

I agree with you Madonna23. It is like someone (who wrote the speech) looked through a book for a checklist of all the things that make up a culture (food, clothing,entertainment) and then just put them in there so they could tick all the boxes. The conference was full of professional women, not kindergarten children and i felt it could have been more sophisticated.

I actually have to disagree, I loved it and I think the Scooby Doo reference got a great response from the audience...Jamie Lee and the other guy didn't get laughs like that...

I think she was trying to express the smaller but incredibly profound lessons she's learned about diversity in early childhood, and I think she used Scooby Doo and Peanut Butter specifically so the American audience would have something familiar to relate to, it breaks down the walls of misconceptions about people in other countries, how we all have and enjoy similar things. I remember when I was young and went to Europe, I was shocked they had The Simpsons there and a lot of American brand foods; I was shocked to find QR watches Desperate Housewives...it's just saying we're more alike than we know :rolleyes:

It is a general comment but perhaps American people (not everyone of course but a lot) were not so aware of the world outside America before 9/11 and the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq but i think most people in America now are much more aware of other cultures.

Last edited by a moderator:
The scooby doo reference was probably the most familiar to her because it most likely came from her own kids. Didn't Princess Salma and Iman have a huge scooby doo cake at their joint scooby doo themed birthday party last year?
The pbj sandwich reference is childish because she was talking about her experience as a five-year old! Just like she goes on to talk about her first meeting with (then) Prince Abdullah and subsequently King Hussein, her future father-in-law. How many young women/men (no matter where they live) haven't had apprehensions about meeting their future in-laws?
And the part about King Hussein losing his hair and eyebrows, becoming thin and sick, its a story that would resonate with anyone who has had a family member die of cancer.
The point of the whole speech was that regardless of where we live our experiences - as children, young men/women and as people who have had a loved one go through an illness - are not so very different.
Whether it's the September 11 attacks in New York or November 9 attacks in Amman, "there is no Arab way, no American way, of loving and losing a child" - I love that quote from the speech.

Last edited:
i think she is wise and can talk wise thing. to talk in television is a lot of fear :)! and i think she treat all equal.
i saw asma asad one time to talk about politic in television. also very good talking in you tube. i think they have same stile of cloth, talk and wise.:) very nice!

the only issue i really had with her speech was that it sounded so rehearsed...she was reading it off a sheet of paper and sounded like she was robotic and completely detached...she should have tried to be a little more relaxed and candid with the speech

Yes, this is why the reference to scooby doo and peanut butter sandwiches sounded so false and contrived. And I don't think 5 year old Arab girls back in the 1970's said 'Eww Gross' as it is such an American phrase. I understood what she was trying to say but that part of the speech did not sound right at all.

i just saw the GMA interview and absolutely love her. can anyone tell me how to write to her?

You can try the feedback section on her website.

Global Leadership Awards Dinner:
UNAUSA.org
Wonderful pictures here: View a photo gallery of the event

WENN has a picture gallery of the dinner: (im unable to link directly to the gallery but its on page 3 right now)
WENN Photo Library
This is the only place I've seen photos of Joan Rivers, who also attended the event, I wonder if she met Rania.

RED/Hallmark event for GAVI:
Press release with pictures from (RED)

Last edited:
Humera I can´t find wenn pictures, please can you post the pics? Thank you.

The Dag Hammarskjöld Scholarship Fund for Journalists held its 46th Annual Luncheon on October 25, 2007 in the United Nations Delegates Dining Room. More than 200 diplomats, UN officials and dignitaries attended. Guests of honor were Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, actor Sir Roger Moore, and ABC correspondent Bob Woodruff. Queen Rania of Jordan attended briefly and greeted the 2007 Dag Hammarskjöld Journalism Fellowship recipients. Link

Photos from the luncheon:

Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3
Photo 4
Photo 5
Photo 6
Photo 7

Last edited:
The Dag Hammarskjöld Scholarship Fund for Journalists held its 46th Annual Luncheon on October 25, 2007 in the United Nations Delegates Dining Room. More than 200 diplomats, UN officials and dignitaries attended. Guests of honor were Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, actor Sir Roger Moore, and ABC correspondent Bob Woodruff. Queen Rania of Jordan attended briefly and greeted the 2007 Dag Hammarskjöld Journalism Fellowship recipients. Link

Photos from the luncheon:

Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3
Photo 4
Photo 5
Photo 6
Photo 7

Rania looks terrific! She has a simple and cool style! She is brilliant!

Queen Rania - She is so gorgeous.

Gorgeous,brilliant and restless!!She seems she never misses anything :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom