Queen Rania's image vs. the reality

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aga.135

Commoner
City
Warsaw
Country
Poland
Some of us were talking about spending money on Rania's clothes and luxury accessories. In some cases we agree, in other ones we don't. I wonder what do you think about the article:
Queen’s gambit » The Spectator
It was written nearly 3 years ago but I think it's worth reading.

well, she has to spend less money that she does now. IMO

Rania had give a good image of the arab and muslim women around the world there is no doubt of that,her and Haya,Sheikha Mozah and Lalla salma are good Ambassadors for us the Arab and Muslims women however I think that Rania problem is that she falls for celebrities lifestyle, sometimes she were acting like startlette wich was a big faut pas that cost her alot inside and outside Jordan IMO.

Agree completely with shrifia, I think she leaves the country and takes the title with her forgetting the humble roots she's from and economic positions of the people in Jordan. Maby shes still the same only more quite with it.

Very hard and unfair criticism IMO

:previous: I don't think it is unfair. As far as I could see, the article hit the nail on the head. It seemed that every magazine did a fashion spread, every talk show had "Queen Rania" as a guest, every couturier had her on speed dial. She was everywhere, dressed by the great fashion houses and jewel bedeck by Cartier, etc.

Both Princess Haya and Sheikha Moza are also known for their impeccable style but we mostly see them as private citizens attending events like Ascot or attending royal weddings. Their public appearances seem to be more charitable than political, rather like their European contemporaries.

I was surprised by how "Western" Queen Rania was, often wearing inappropriate western couture to family weddings, etc. stealing the show as her "style" singled her out from the others in the photos. However, it was the perception that she was very politically active and deeply involved in the running of Jordan that surprised me.

I do not know if she is actually politically involved and if so, how deeply, it just seemed that she was the face of Jordan and the King was almost eclipsed by her. But whatever the truth, these days it seems she has toned down her Hollywood Celebrity style and embraced the more traditional role of Queen Consort.

Well, you never know what happen behind closed doors.

Well, It's unfair IMO to criticize & blame only QR as if she were the only queen of Jordan who followed that lifestyle. All former JRF queens enjoyed lavish lives despite the poor economic condition of their nation.
Now, after the Arab spring revolutions, it's no secret that the queen is less ative. She even stopped her activities that caued criticism during the past few years.

Last edited:
Well, you never know what happen behind closed doors.

I think the same. All are rumors.

Well she has less engagements but she continues traveling to EEUU and Europe the difference is now the paparazzi don´t take pics. She and the court have more care when they travel.

Well, It's unfair IMO to criticize & blame only QR as if she were the only queen of Jordan who followed that lifestyle. All former JRF queens enjoyed lavish lives despite the poor econimc condition of their nation.
Now, after the Arab spring revolutions, it's no secret that the queen is less ative. She even stopped her activities that caued criticism during the past few years.

nothing is more true than that! Queen Noor had the same lifestyle for ages when Jordan must be more poorer than now, but nobody criticize it. But Rania's global success was so huge and that's why, the envy is a big law of life

I don't get that kind of thinking. An example - do you think of a criminal that "it's unfair to criticise and blame only this particular" criminal because he's not only one who committed a crime? Of course I'm not going to compare lavish lifestyle and criminality ;) But other queens' lifestyle is not a reason to agree with it.

:previous:
My point was so clear !!.
Although we are not in a trial ,but justice must prevail IMO. It's not fair to blame only one particular person while others around hin are acting the same way. I mean other queens must also be mentioned as they were/are following the same style.
I think the criticisms against queen Rania are not only related to her life style or international role, otherwise queen Noor would also be included. There are many other reasons related to the situation in Jordan ( Purely Jordanian reasons) behind that.
The criticisms were so much focused on QR & sonetimes personally.
As you know, the Jordanian constitution does not mention or inclode any role or duties for the queen, only the king. Despite that fact queen Zein Al-Sharaf played a vital role & was a great supporter for her son the late king Hussein along with her brother Sharif Nasser bin Jamil & so did the late king Hussein's wives later. It didn't start with queen Rania.
I do agree with some of the points mentioned in the article ,but still i think many criticizms were exaggerated & far from real.

Last edited:
nothing is more true than that! Queen Noor had the same lifestyle for ages when Jordan must be more poorer than now, but nobody criticize it. But Rania's global success was so huge and that's why, the envy is a big law of life

Why is any criticism of anybody always boils down to envy or jealousy to some?!
:whistling:

Rania had give a good image of the arab and muslim women around the world there is no doubt of that,her and Haya,Sheikha Mozah and Lalla salma are good Ambassadors for us the Arab and Muslims women however I think that Rania problem is that she falls for celebrities lifestyle, sometimes she were acting like startlette wich was a big faut pas that cost her alot inside and outside Jordan IMO.

Exactly. IMO, she started believing her own hype. Celebrity wise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not true, queen noor was very criticized like this at the time also for being american, remember noor comes in at a hard time and then there was the gulf war. I think in her book says that she tried to not be seen like celebrity even when she picked a more simple wedding dress and not letting paparazzi get her a certain way but still took a lot for people to accept her.

I think Rania should concentrate more on her husband and family. Celebrities and UN causes isn't really promoting Jordan and I don't know how much time she spends in depth studying these other causes.

She should just remove the celebs from her circle and maintain friendships with people in her charities and other more appropriate areas.

I was very disappointed when I read about the lavish 40th birthday party she threw for herself. It lasted several days, she flew in celebrities from all over the place at a cost of millions.

This, combined with her very expensive designer wardrobe and what looks like excessive plastic surgery has caused my opinion of her to change. When she first became queen I was very admiring of how intelligent, committed, and down to earth Rania appeared to be. With her great beauty she seemed to be the perfect face for Jordan on the world stage and a great consort for Abdullah.

Now it's just the opposite. I don't believe that her image is good for a poor, struggling country like Jordan.:sad:

Not true, queen noor was very criticized like this at the time also for being american, remember noor comes in at a hard time and then there was the gulf war. I think in her book says that she tried to not be seen like celebrity even when she picked a more simple wedding dress and not letting paparazzi get her a certain way but still took a lot for people to accept her.
I dissagree with you Princess Mahala.
Being an American or of any other nationality does not hurt in Jordan like being of Palastinian origions. That is mainly due to political & demographic reasons related to the ME peace process.
The Criticism against queen Noor during the Gulf War period came mostly from outside Jordan & specificly was led by the Arab newspapers which belong to countries supporting Kuwait liberation, as Jordan rejects military intervention against Iraq at that time. Again it is politics.!!
Queen Noor was rarely exposed to criticism inside Jordan , although she was following the same lavish lifestyle. Even her simple wedding dress was "Dior". For example, she was never targeted by the retired military officers statenents like what happened with queen Rania.
Maybe she was lucky enough as there was no Internet revolution during the reign of the late king Hussein & her. Nowdays, & through the internet everyone in Jordan can easially get & comment on the queen's latest events, photos, videos, .. etc.

Queen Rania & during the past 15 years has done many good things both inside Jordan & abroad. She also involved in many activities that were considered wrong or inappropriate which subjected her to alot of criticism as praise.
I think despite its cruelty, criticism against the queen was useful as she stopped most of her controversial activities.

Last edited:
Queen Rania & during the past 15 years has done many good things both inside Jordan & abroad. She also involved in many activities that were considered wrong or inappropriate which subjected her to alot of criticism as praise.
I think despite its cruelty, criticism against the queen was useful as she stopped most of her controversial activities.

We are all human, and no one is perfect. Just remember, you can please some of the people all the time, all the people some of the time, but you cannot please all the people all the time. She has done a lot of good for Jordan and King Abdullah, lets not only look at the negative :flowers:

I totally agree with Moonmaiden23. I couldn't write it better. I think most of human's (especially queen's) activities can be devided into two groups - public and private ones. Watching someone's public behavior one cannot judge if it's an honest willingness to help. This is often the result of work of many PR experts. Every president or queen has that kind of person by her side. Smiling to children in a hospital doesn't attest to good intentions. But the way she lives her private life may say sth about this person. Differences in the public and private image of queen Rania cause that I think she's not a genuine person and most of her activities are to please the media.

. . . The Criticism against queen Noor during the Gulf War period came mostly from outside Jordan & specificly was led by the Arab newspapers which belong to countries supporting Kuwait liberation, as Jordan rejects military intervention against Iraq at that time. Again it is politics.!!
Queen Noor was rarely exposed to criticism inside Jordan , although she was following the same lavish lifestyle. Even her simple wedding dree was "Dior". For example, she was never targeted by the retired military officers statenents like what happened with queen Rania.

Maybe she was lucky enough as there was no Internet revolution during the reign of the late king Hussein & her. Nowday, & through the internet everyone in Jordan can easially get & comment on the queen's latest events, photps, videos, .. etc.

Previous Queens (and Kings for that matter), kept their private life to themselves. Yes Noor's wedding dress was Dior, but back then nobody knew how much it cost. And that is the kicker, instant knowledge about almost every aspect of royal expenditure. I think it is going to take quite some time for Rania to regain people's trust. Her Lavish 40th Birthday Bash was just the last and most representative of her excesses.

She is not all bad, she is not evil, but unfortunately people rarely remember the good . . . the bad sells newspapers, magazines and headlines the TV News, and let's not get started with our friend the Internet which is with us forever. She rushed to embrace technology and seemed to lose her common sense. Her compulsive Twittering has exposed a very private part of herself that really should have remained personal. It also showed her complete lack of decorum, twittering during important visits, attending royal weddings, etc. That is just plain wrong, and she did it to herself.

Previous Queens (and Kings for that matter), kept their private life to themselves. Yes Noor's wedding dress was Dior, but back then nobody knew how much it cost. And that is the kicker, instant knowledge about almost every aspect of royal expenditure. I think it is going to take quite some time for Rania to regain people's trust. Her Lavish 40th Birthday Bash was just the last and most representative of her excesses.

She is not all bad, she is not evil, but unfortunately people rarely remember the good . . . the bad sells newspapers, magazines and headlines the TV News, and let's not get started with our friend the Internet which is with us forever. She rushed to embrace technology and seemed to lose her common sense. Her compulsive Twittering has exposed a very private part of herself that really should have remained personal. It also showed her complete lack of decorum, twittering during important visits, attending royal weddings, etc. That is just plain wrong, and she did it to herself.
Well, that's the negative side of using technology. On the other hand, being active in social media helped the queen to draw a bright & modern image for her self & JRF in general. Many people in Jordan & all around the world like her twitter & instagram family photos. It gave them a great opportunity to have a look at the royal family life, no matter from the queen's perspective.

Last edited:
I believe that QR didn't choose alone all this kind of image that she has, she is not that so independent from her invironment, I think that she was incouraged to do all these thing like UN events and WEF events etc by her husband and hi whole invironment. I don't believe that she could do anything without his consent.

well said!!
I think in that area she lost controle and things get mixed for her and couldn't put a line between been a royal and been a celebrity and that was the main reason behind the criticism she got in her country IMO;
i remember one of her last private pic she publish few weeks ago she was wearing her bedroom robe call me old fashion but for a Queen this is just tooo tacky that's kinda Miley Cyrus :D
I know some blame her origins for the criticism it might be true and maybe that make her a weak target but honestly and if we want to be logical Rania can only blame her lifesyle and her showy way she exhibits it to the world IMO.

i remember one of her last private pic she publish few weeks ago she was wearing her bedroom robe call me old fashion but for a Queen this is just tooo tacky that's kinda Miley Cyrus :D

What is this pic?

well said!!
I think in that area she lost controle and things get mixed for her and couldn't put a line between been a royal and been a celebrity and that was the main reason behind the criticism she got in her country IMO;
I know some blame her origins for the criticism it might be true and maybe that make her a weak target but honestly and if we want to be logical Rania can only blame her lifesyle and her showy way she exhibits it to the world IMO.

I could never imagine even in my worst nightmares the words "Miley Cyrus" side by side with the name Queen Rania.

lol Godiva that name here caught my eye and I had to open thread :ROFLMAO:!
I think what's been said so far has truth no matter if ones opinion is good or bad. Ranias not bad/wild but she was getting a bit showy. If she were a queen for a rich country I don't think we'll have so much to say. Jordan is in a difficult place to be queen 1: she have to remember the economys not good for averge people 2: she has to balance conservative sensitivities (remember her bikini pics from the early years :ermm:). I don't know if they were shown there but even qnoor knew to cover up when she's outside on holiday. now petra covers qr pics up lol but the internets wider now like Marg says. Im not a fan but i think she does a lot of good & she'll be remembered for that! also she's smart enough to put her name on enough works to mark territory for when the new queen comes lol ;).

I could never imagine even in my worst nightmares the words "Miley Cyrus" side by side with the name Queen Rania.
that was only an imagery maybe extreme one :D
so if it hurt you're feeling do like i change Miley name with other celebrity; the idea is: we all here are fan of the royal world because of the sparkle and the fairy tale effect there is no charm in watching a royal turning to jetsetter celebrity IMO;
we are not saying Rania is evil or something we are only talking about the real reailty not the fluffy image of magazines,we are talking about negatives side of some part of her work and lifestyle;you know criticism is good it even help ppl to be better.:)

What is the occasion and where? the other persons are dressed. Is it really her?

That's her and it's a post on her official Instagram. An unfortunate attempt to make other moms relate to her IMO, a little too personal :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom