Queen Rania - romours about Cosmetic Surgery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know for a fact, I know a princess, and she once laughed, no, with jewels,
there is no discount in the major couture shops-Cartier, Tiffany's etc.: Barbara Hutton never got a discount, Princess so and so never did, so neither does Raina.
Couture clothing, that is a grey area, if she is wearing such and such a line,
then maybe, but if she is wearing one day so and so's line and next week so and
so's rival...hmmm, that may not be so easily discernable, but sometimes on
clothing yes, if you are considered "important enough" at the Chanel HQ to warrant
that, all the sales girls know who to ignore and who to attend to --which princess is
more important than her rival ...and such..

But in Major jewelry couture store? never. no discounts. If it is $ 1.2 milo=it is
$ 1.2 milo. Period.

Example> Eva Peron of Argentina-when the nation was going down and down
to the toilet, she was lavishing it up-so alot of leaders who should know better
and their wives do not.

Also, when money was entering the Argentines as "aid" what did the Juan Peron do? transfered it to a private Swiss account-that is no secret! the aid never went to the people-just some places for "show."*

I assume no one except Sean read in the pink Financial Times 1992 or 1995
about, Rusisan Boris Yeltsin was accused by US and Gr. Britian of skimming
all the aid funds from these two nations into their "own pocket accounts" which
never saw thelight of day nor made their way to the intended-the people to
help the economy!

I read that.

Oh, and did anyone recall reading the New York Times article whereby the wife
of Saddam Hussein was spending the "aid money" to buy at auction of
it was either Sotheby's or Christies auction house she spent alot of money-
that was clearly "earmarked for financial aid for Iraq under the specific terms
of the embargo as voted on by the U.N."*

$ 380 m illion went to her account and she was spending lavishly, so do not
tell Sean and I about how the money always goes to the people and not the
wives of leaders.

Put money on a table and see how long it lasts before a guest purloins it!
IT IS CALLED HUMAN NATURE. Plain and simple.

Bottom line: a queen of a third world country, no matter how wealthy she and her family might be, should not spend a fortune on clothes and jewellry. Why? Because it is a slap in the face to her people.

As Sean and other posters have pointed out, Queen Noor has two or three fine tiaras (her tiaras might be saved for the CP's wife??) and Princess Haya has her mother's 2 million dollar tiara which Queen Rania might indeed be able to borrow.

The designer clothes...we've all seen Princess Caroline (yes, she isn't close to Queen Rania's equal in terms of rank but she's bloody wealthy) wear a favorite Chanel gown more than once and she recycles her jewelry constantly. So, why couldn't Queen Rania? One is quite capable of looking spectacular without having the constant need for new clothes and jewels. Queen Rania is not lacking in looks by any means and wearing the same gown or outfit more than once is not going to change many people's minds about her looks.

I admire Queen Rania for her intelligence and she is a seemingly good natured woman. I am sure that the allure of fine jewels and beautiful couture clothing is very powerful and that it is probably hard for her to resist but because of her intelligence, etc... Perhaps she believes she is dressing for her country (putting a good face on, so to speak) but, still, I am disappointed that she might not think of being a little more modest with her spending considering the poverty that her subjects live in.

I've never said her spending was the cause of the regions problems. It can, however, exacerbate things.

there is no proof of the assertion you've just made. Rania's wardrobe may be expensive but dont tell me its going to make Jordan's problems worse.
A lot of these accusations stem from people who have personal vendettas against Rania...and thats very much a part of royal court life. It seems to me that these people only make things worse by fueling rumours agaisnt her...i've heard many jordanians mention that before.

Maher Arar was tortured in Jordan as well.  <snort>  This really goes to show 'informed' you are, and thus I shall henceforth take everything you post with a huge grain of salt.  He has just launched a multi-million dollar lawsuit against the Jordanian government for the torture he suffered there:

First of all, I couldnt care less about what you think of my post but you could've expressed yourself with more civility and class.
And most importantly, did you even read my previous post? If you're going to criticize my argument, atleast do me the courtesy of reading what i've posted. Atleast then you'd know that I've already mentioned the fact that i KNOW about Arar's decision to sue both Jordan and Syria and i support this decision.
Also, Jordan is being sued because thats where Arar was held illegaly and some minor assualt occured there. BUT the actually physical assault and beatings took place in Syria. This story has been in the Canadian media for more than a year and Syria has always been mentioned as the place where Arar was held for months and brutally beaten. Jordan was merely a stop. When Arar described his ordeal in a press conference recently, he described the torture he faced in SYRIA.

Furthermore, you dont have to give me a list of human rights violations that occur in Jordan and the Middle East. Several Canadians have had first hand experience of these atrocities in Syria, Saudi Arabia etc.

It's all good and well to talk about honour killings etc. in the homes of others, but it is quite another to acknowledge the violations that the regime engages in.

I dont think that Rania simply "talks" about things like honour killings, she actually takes proactive steps towards alleviating the problem...talking to religious leaders about denouncing the practice for example. Just because we dont see every single aspect of her work, doesnt mean she's just putting on a show. I wouldn't expect any regime with such serious problems to change overnight.

Again, I will mention that just because i dont agree with your view of middle eastern politics and the significance of Rania's spending habits in relation to this problem doesnt mean im wrong.
To me, the two things couldn't be farther apart.
It all goes back to Rania being used as a scapegoat. Jordan's problems, however serious they may be, have existed for years and wont be resolved until serious political reforms take place. Rania's extravagance has no place in this picture.
Unfortunately, women like her have been blamed throughout history for their countries' social, political, and economic problems. There's definately a psychological undertone to such accusations. When you cant fix something, you go out looking for a tangible and weak target. That always seems to make people feel better.

Originally posted by Julia@Nov 27th, 2003 - 3:10 am
Bottom line: a queen of a third world country, no matter how wealthy she and her family might be, should not spend a fortune on clothes and jewellry.  Why?  Because it is a slap in the face to her people. 

As Sean and other posters have pointed out, Queen Noor has two or three fine tiaras (her tiaras might be saved for the CP's wife??) and Princess Haya has her mother's 2 million dollar tiara which Queen Rania might indeed be able to borrow.

The designer clothes...we've all seen Princess Caroline (yes, she isn't close to Queen Rania's equal in terms of rank but she's bloody wealthy) wear a favorite Chanel gown more than once and she recycles her jewelry constantly.  So, why couldn't Queen Rania?  One is quite capable of looking spectacular without having the constant need for new clothes and jewels.  Queen Rania is not lacking in looks by any means and wearing the same gown or outfit more than once is not going to change many people's minds about her looks. 

I admire Queen Rania for her intelligence and she is a seemingly good natured woman.  I am sure that the allure of fine jewels and beautiful couture clothing is very powerful and that it is probably hard for her to resist but because of her intelligence, etc... Perhaps she believes she is dressing for her country (putting a good face on, so to speak) but, still, I am disappointed that she might not think of being a little more modest with her spending considering the poverty that her subjects live in.
I sincerely hope the article about the gold shoes is complete fabrication, because if it is true, my opinion of Rania would plummet considerably. 22 karat gold shoes encrusted with diamonds is sheer extravagance. I would even go so far as to say that anyone who orders and wears such shoes is not quite right in the head.

Still, I think we should give Rania the benefit of the doubt and assume this article is make-believe. As a public figure -- and one who's talked about not buying tiaras because of the cost, at that -- you'd think she'd know how bad it would look for her to wear something like gold shoes. I don't think she'd be so unwise as to try to add them to her already expansive wardrobe.

I totally agree with your opinion, Josephine. I do think Rania is a probably wonderful queen and person and mother, but she is still a bit too lavish when it comes to her clothes and jewels. I'm not saying she should go around in a potato sack, but I think she has developed an image as being more of a clotheshorse than any European royal, and that's not good.

There is no point in aruging about this back and forth. I've made my points clearly and succinctly. As have you and the others. I will request that this thread be locked before the personal attacks start. We've gotten way off the original topic.

That we have.
But dont expect the personal attacks to start from my side...thats not my style.
I dont show contempt for other peoples' opinions simply because they disagree with me.
Oh and by the way, you didnt start this thread so dont expect that it'll be locked at your request.

Im still hoping someone can discredit/corroborate the article i've posted...someone who actually lives in Jordan maybe

QR has a new emerald tiara, Hayah's tiara was inherited by her mother, Q Alia. Rania is called - The Bags Queen- in Jordan, guess why ? She's a shopaholic.

Fascinating reading, in fact the reason I have finally registered instead of ghosting.

Back to the point of the gold shoes - I think this is a fabrication. I think that Queen Rania tends to wear high heels and 22k gold is too soft and flexible for a shoe - quite simply the heel would break. :p

Originally posted by ~*~Humera~*~@Nov 27th, 2003 - 9:51 am
There is no point in aruging about this back and forth. I've made my points clearly and succinctly. As have you and the others. I will request that this thread be locked before the personal attacks start. We've gotten way off the original topic.

That we have.
But dont expect the personal attacks to start from my side...thats not my style.
I dont show contempt for other peoples' opinions simply because they disagree with me.
Oh and by the way, you didnt start this thread so dont expect that it'll be locked at your request.

Im still hoping someone can discredit/corroborate the article i've posted...someone who actually lives in Jordan maybe
It is one thing to have an opinion, but quite another to have an informed, objective one.

With respect to the article, it has been discussed on other forums as well. Why would a shoemaker from the subcontinent tell such an elaborate lie specifically naming the Queen of Jordan? Many people have a penchant for expensive shoes. Rania has extravigent tastes, so I hardly think it is so far fetched that she would have a pair really decadent shoes made for herself. And I wouln't expect it to be corroborated by the average Jordanian. Not only do I highly doubt she walks around in these shoes on the streets of Amman. Besides, open criticism of the Hashemites isn't acceptable there.

S

of course Queen Rania wears Tiaras , she is not going to say that in her resume , come on?! use common sense...

she has a spending problem too , i believe the story of her golden shoes , i lived in the middle east and i can tell you who people from that region love GOLD , they even make clothes with gold.

and she used a new tiara ,an emeral one (very high quality and exquisite) , in the swedish official state visit.

Hi Sean,

I just put that in for a laugh and didn't intent for it to be taken too seriously.

As for too tacky, well, I have seen a gold bodice/corset made for the wedding day of a very wealthy woman in the Gulf. Now that is tacky! It even had a key to be given as a wedding present to her husband. Surprisingly it was actually made from gold strips and chains, not cloth, and so when finished looked sorta like a cage. It was to be worn under the wedding outfit and to be for husband's eyes only.

Some people just have more money than sense!

Originally posted by beebee+Nov 27th, 2003 - 8:26 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (beebee @ Nov 27th, 2003 - 8:26 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Julia@Nov 27th, 2003 - 3:10 am
Bottom line: a queen of a third world country, no matter how wealthy she and her family might be, should not spend a fortune on clothes and jewellry.  Why?  Because it is a slap in the face to her people. 

The designer clothes...we've all seen Princess Caroline (yes, she isn't close to Queen Rania's equal in terms of rank but she's bloody wealthy) wear a favorite Chanel gown more than once and she recycles her jewelry constantly.  So, why couldn't Queen Rania?  One is quite capable of looking spectacular without having the constant need for new clothes and jewels.  Queen Rania is not lacking in looks by any means and wearing the same gown or outfit more than once is not going to change many people's minds about her looks. 

I admire Queen Rania for her intelligence and she is a seemingly good natured woman.  I am sure that the allure of fine jewels and beautiful couture clothing is very powerful and that it is probably hard for her to resist but because of her intelligence, etc... Perhaps she believes she is dressing for her country (putting a good face on, so to speak) but, still, I am disappointed that she might not think of being a little more modest with her spending considering the poverty that her subjects live in.
I sincerely hope the article about the gold shoes is complete fabrication, because if it is true, my opinion of Rania would plummet considerably. 22 karat gold shoes encrusted with diamonds is sheer extravagance. I would even go so far as to say that anyone who orders and wears such shoes is not quite right in the head.

Still, I think we should give Rania the benefit of the doubt and assume this article is make-believe. As a public figure -- and one who's talked about not buying tiaras because of the cost, at that -- you'd think she'd know how bad it would look for her to wear something like gold shoes. I don't think she'd be so unwise as to try to add them to her already expansive wardrobe.

I totally agree with your opinion, Josephine. I do think Rania is a probably wonderful queen and person and mother, but she is still a bit too lavish when it comes to her clothes and jewels. I'm not saying she should go around in a potato sack, but I think she has developed an image as being more of a clotheshorse than any European royal, and that's not good. [/b][/quote]
Hi beebee,

I agree that Rania is probably a wonderful woman, mother, queen and wife. Let's just hope that the temptation of couture and jewels gradually subside.

Does anyone have an idea of what her yearly budget is on clothes and jewelry?

Originally posted by Sean.~@Nov 27th, 2003 - 1:26 am
I will request that this thread be locked before the personal attacks start. We've gotten way off the original topic.
Hey no, don't close this thread -- I've enjoyed this intelligent discussion with good arguments on both sides. And Sean~, you are delightfully ~snippy!~ but we luvs you anyway. B)

Originally posted by Julia+Nov 27th, 2003 - 2:05 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Julia @ Nov 27th, 2003 - 2:05 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by beebee@Nov 27th, 2003 - 8:26 am
<!--QuoteBegin-Julia
@Nov 27th, 2003 - 3:10 am

I totally agree with your opinion, Josephine. I do think Rania is a probably wonderful queen and person and mother, but she is still a bit too lavish when it comes to her clothes and jewels. I'm not saying she should go around in a potato sack, but I think she has developed an image as being more of a clotheshorse than any European royal, and that's not good.
Hi beebee,

I agree that Rania is probably a wonderful woman, mother, queen and wife. Let's just hope that the temptation of couture and jewels gradually subside.

Does anyone have an idea of what her yearly budget is on clothes and jewelry? [/b][/quote]
Oh, I can't believe I wrote "Josephine!" I knew I was responding to Julia, but somehow my fingers didn't. Sorry!

Originally posted by beebee@Nov 27th, 2003 - 1:39 pm
Oh, I can't believe I wrote "Josephine!" I knew I was responding to Julia, but somehow my fingers didn't. Sorry!
Not a problem! To be called "Josefine" is a compliment here! :)

Originally posted by shannen26@Nov 27th, 2003 - 11:22 am
Rania is called - The Bags Queen- in Jordan, guess why ? She's a shopaholic.
Yeah i've heard that one before too.
Rania responded to the criticism in an old Newsweek interview, here's an excerpt:

"some of the most stinging criticism of Rania comes from Jordan's chattering classes. The wealthy mostly live in Abdoun, a ritzy enclave in west Amman, and count themselves among the most liberal Jordanians. Yet they're the first to point out indiscretions, and gossip relentlessly about Rania's designer outfits and expensive handbags. "She's the handbag queen," says one. Rania begs to differ. She says she shuns "frilly dresses," opting for simple and modern attire.
During the interview, at first Rania seemed annoyed by the catcalling. "This Abdoun thing," she said, "it's just jealousy." But then she backed off. "The gossip goes with the turf," she said, adding that she might even learn from the criticism."

Newsweek article

Pls, all of u, do read - Nine parts of a desire- by G. Brooks. The chapter about Q Noor, it's called- A Queen- QN was also used as a scapegoat when things in Jordan were bad, now it's Q Rania's turn. Btw, P Ali has been very active against Honour Killings the last few years. He's quite serious about his fight.

in Newsweek article, there are more serious things against KA and QR, being not down-to-earth, that this story of gold shoes :

Other royal actions are more consequential. Both Abdullah and Rania, for instance, have tried to guide debate about Jordan's troubled economy, and both have taken criticism for it. In a country that has 30 percent unemployment, growing imports and falling exports, some believe the king and queen are out of touch. Many homes in Amman don't have water, the rural areas suffer grinding poverty and most of the country lacks the necessary infrastructure to attract serious investment, many experts say. Yet the king tours high-tech meccas like Singapore and Silicon Valley, and the queen has been a big proponent of bringing technology to schools. "We need to fix the Old Economy before we get to the New Economy," says political analyst Radwan Abdullah. "The idea of making Jordan a high-tech hub is ridiculous." :wacko:

Honor Killing is part of the culture not of the regime. You can't truely believe that if the law was passed making honor killings illegal that they would simply go away or even decrease drastically. Until the mind set of the people is changed then honor killings will not be thought of as wrong by the majority. I do not believe that having Ali or any Royal be more critical of Abdullah's regime will change that. In a perfect world, you may believe that there would be fewer honor killings if there was a free society. Yet Honor Killing is part of the culture. It doesn't matter if their is a dictator or anarchy or a totally free society, until the mind set is changed then they will continue. I truely believe that Ali and other Royals are attempting do that.

Originally posted by pegassuss2525@Dec 1st, 2003 - 8:38 am
Honor Killing is part of the culture not of the regime. You can't truely believe that if the law was passed making honor killings illegal that they would simply go away or even decrease drastically. Until the mind set of the people is changed then honor killings will not be thought of as wrong by the majority.
I totally agree.
Honour killings are a part of many cultures including some parts of Pakistan for example. This horrible practice is a remnant of ancient practices and beliefs.
It is unfortunate that people continue to practice something so terrible and hide behind religion to justify it.
Getting rid of something like honour killings is not just about human rights..you've got to change the way people think and convince them that there's no justification for such a crime. I think Queen Rania's attempt to get religious leaders to denounce honour killings is quite admirable.
People who commit such crimes should receive the punishment they deserve but most of them just get away with killing their women because society usually approves of such actions.
Its obviously as much a question about ideology as it is about human rights.

Sean - could you please clarify what you mean by
I am well aware that honour killings are part of the state.

Wouldn't want to be accused of misinterpreting your words! :innocent:

Thanks for the quick reply, Sean. Until reading that, I had always agreed with your posts which is why I gave you the benefit of the doubt. I was sure you couldn't really have meant that! A missing word makes all the difference and you are now once again clear, objective and succinct!

With regard to human rights in the Middle East, are you aware of any web based material focusing specifically on the Gulf?

"Oh, and when are you going to answer the numerous other question's I've posted to you throughout this thread? Indeed, assidiously avoiding answering them does not do anything for your pro-Rania 'argument' (and I use the term loosely). "

I am not certain what you mean about other questions directed towards me. I don't have a Pro Rania stance per se, I just don't believe that you should condem her if you do not know how much she truely spends.

When you stated that Ali should be more critical toward the regime, I took your words to mean that he should be more critical because Abdullah has not done more to stop the honor killings. You did explain what you meant in you next post. I also know that not all Jordanian families ingage in honor killings but it is a strongly held belief that it is justified. If the mind set of the people doesn't change to believe that Honor Killings are wrong then the outcry won't be there against it. That is a proven fact.

As for your issue with my "Cut and Paste" method, perhaps you would be kind enough to tell me how to do the Quotes correctly? You posted earlier that you didn't want personal attacks started but I feel that it has. I was not attempting to twist your words put simply stating my opinion and what I understood you to be saying. I think everyone here has a right to post their opinions. If you feel the need to pick mine apart and attack them, then that is your right. But please do not insult my intelligence or my knowledge on the Middle East.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom