Queen Rania before her marriage

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papillon

Nobility
A number of posters have commented about the rarity of photographs of QR as a child and as a young adult. Thought I'd begin a thread to see what we collectively know about her life prior to her marriage.

Originally posted by papillon@Jun 29th, 2004 - 10:55 pm
A number of posters have commented about the rarity of photographs of QR as a child and as a young adult. Thought I'd begin a thread to see what we collectively know about her life prior to her marriage.
Rania: Of Palestian origin, Born in Kuwait ...did her schooling in the English school in Kuwait, then her undergraduate in the American University of Cairo (Business administration)..then worked in Amman, Jordan (I guess in a bank)..

Previous threads of Rania in the LTR already had some pics when she was a teenage..I myself posted a pic of her in her graduation from her University...

Originally posted by Humble@Jun 30th, 2004 - 3:05 am
then worked in Amman, Jordan (I guess in a bank)..

She worked at Apple Computer and at Citibank before her marriage.

Has anyone seen childhood pictures of her? I have not. If so, can you post them here? Thanks in advance.

Queen rania as ayoung girl

:) i want to know more about rania al yasin ...the young girl ...also about her love story with prince abdullah bin al hussein of jordsan...:) :) :) :)

What I know is limited but others, I'm sure, will know more. She is the daughter of a pediatrician and retains close ties with her siblings and parents.

At one point, she was approached to be a model but her parents vetoed that. They were--rightly--suspect of the man who said he was a modeling agent.

She met KA at a party given by his sister, Aisha (I believe). He said it was love at first sight. She admits she had reservations because he was KH's son. Their courtship was brief--five months--and she has said he pursued her relentlessly. KH himself drove Abdullah to Rania's parents' home so Abdullah could propose. With KH and her family looking on, she accepted--and the rest, as they say, is history.

She has spoken a bit about their courtship, revealing he loved to take her flying on some rather hair-raising helicopter rides. She has also said she never expected to become Queen and would have been very happy as the wife of a soldier. In QN's book, Noor reveals Rania was concerned about Abdullah's succession; wondering if he would have the support of Jordanians, the military, etc. QN assured her both she and Abdullah would have that support.

It is also a known fact that the late King Hussein pushed hard for the engagement to come sooner than later due to being worried about Abdullah's reputation as a womanizer. Evidently, the apple fell close to the tree.:rolleyes:

I still wonder how Rania's parents felt when they opened the door and found the King standing there, asking to come in........It's not a sight you see on your doorstep everyday!!!:)

They obviously knew that their daughter was seeing HM son, so they could not have been that surprised!:) In my opinion, it is not the tradition to have long courtships in the Middle East. People will start talking the longer they see a couple together without a movement towards a marriage. A womans reputation is everything in that part of the world. Her parents would not have tolerated dating for two to three years, prince or no prince!

maryshawn said:
KH himself drove Abdullah to Rania's parents' home so Abdullah could propose. With KH and her family looking on, she accepted--and the rest, as they say, is history.

It was KH who made the proposal to the Yasin family asking for Rania’s hand for marriage with his son – just following Arabic customs and traditions (he did the same for P. Faisal, KA accompanied P. Ali to the Brahimis …).

And this was certainly not a surprise for the Yasins.

maryshawn said:
I still wonder how Rania's parents felt when they opened the door and found the King standing there, asking to come in........It's not a sight you see on your doorstep everyday!!!

Princess Salma bint Abdullah has the nose of her mother Queen Rania.

True .....But we are talking about physical resemblence here :p

Sometimes you can combine both :D

A beautiful mind is certainly an asset but it would be more attarctive if were on a shoulder of a beautiful woman ...which is not a rare case as many might think :D
araivakadua said:
it is the beauty that is with in that counts the most

araivakadua said:
it is the beauty that is with in that counts the most

Yea yea yea, but in QR's interview's the first thing they mention (a beautiful young women who became the Queen of jordan),which means that Beauty does count these days, next to what is within...;)

salwa said:
True .....But we are talking about physical resemblence here :p

Sometimes you can combine both :D

A beautiful mind is certainly an asset but it would be more attarctive if were on a shoulder of a beautiful woman ...which is not a rare case as many might think :D

True , I agree, this is the case nowadays,

I'd like to see photos of Queen Rania as a baby or toddler or young child. They have to exist somewhere.:confused:

well...not to be rude or offensive..but i read somewhere that she was often called the prettiest girl on campus in university...judging from that last picture, i don't really think that could be true...

Why is that when you see photos of any royals you can find picutres of them as far as their birth pictures. They are everywhere. Even on the king's website they have so many photos of his life. You can even find pictures of their children. On the Queens' web page. You will find no childhood photos of her at all. You can't seem to find any anywhere. I am wondering if she very private or she doesn't like her photos and doesn't want people to see them. Maybe people will compare them to much to the way she looks now. Like they do with so many famous people. Can it be possible Her parents will not allow them to be published. What ever the case may be I can respect that. But it would be nice to seem them .

Let's keep this thread focused on Rania's childhood. No comments about plastic surgery. I see this topic moved from Abdullah/Rania's Current Events and News thread to this one...and its not happening here.

Thanks!

azrayy said:

in the 1st one she was 17, so we are talking about 1987, am I right ? In the 2nd one it's again 1987, and it's definetely her- she was again 17, I do think the girl in the 1st pic was not Rania or she was much younger than 17, how could she be so ugly, she was so pretty in the 2nd pic.... what do you think, I had already seen the 1st pic, but don't know if it's Rania-

Rania has never been ugly, the last photo is typical of a girl of her age who wanted to experiment with her hair and makeup. Lets think for a minute, how many of us can look back on our school photos and think how perfect and beautiful we looked. So no one here has ever cringed when they look back over the awful unflattering hair cut, the strange experiments with make up, the awful uniform in that garish colour we were forced to wear? It is clear to see even from those pics that she would develop into a beauty - good hair cut, the right make up and the correct clothing - the framework is there - its obvious, to call her ugly is a nonsense.

And about never mentioning her family. Why is it that if a person chooses not to discuss their family members it is assumed by some that they are not close or that something is wrong?

It's called valuing your privacy. It is also no doubt down to the fact that perhaps Rania's family don't want to have their personal lives discussed by Rania in public. I know I wouldn't if I was her sister, I would support and love her privately but I would not want her "outing" me or in turn my family to the press by talking about me all the time.

Some people like to talk openly about their family, friends and what they had for dinner that day and others are simply more reticent and prefer to keep topics work related or concentrate on just their husband and/or children - Rania talks about those things - it's a safe topic for her - he is the king and very visible and so are her children.

Her family just may not want that kind of intense exposure.

Just an idea.

Last edited:
Claudia Lisa Remy said:
:neutral: I agree it may look strange. I heard the Queen is a very private women. I was wondering if that may be the reason. In any case, its anybodys guess. I was checking through some old threads and came across only one of her Mom and herself while they were shopping in England and one in a car and like you said the wedding photo. Love to see more.:)

I was wondering where did you find her pictures with her mother? Do you know what thread it was? Thanks. :)

Snow white...I totally agree with your assessment on why Rania never talks about her family. She only has to look around to see how the family members of other royals (Letizia, Mary, Maxima, Mette Marit) are treated. True you can't compare the European press to the Jordanian press but why court additional publicity when you don't need to. She choose to marry into the Jordanian Royal Family..they didn't.

lilmonkey:

Yea yea yea, but in QR's interview's the first thing they mention (a beautiful young women who became the Queen of jordan),which means that Beauty does count these days, next to what is within...;)

Beauty is literally visable - personality and intelligence have to be discovered!

Rania is a stunning looking woman for the newspapers and interviewers to pretend they have not noticed would make them look silly, they will comment but then they usually do go on about what she has to say and they are more often that not impressed.

It must be difficult at times to be beautiful and for people to think that you are superficial and perhaps stupid. Okay yes, if I had a choice I would rather have the looks and then get people to find out how great I am underneath!!:)

But it doesn't work that way, plainer people just have to work harder at getting noticed - yes it's unfair but then many things are unfair.

Going back to her family, I wonder if any of her family members work now that she is Queen? What happens when a member of your family becomes Queen? I guess your lives are never the same again.

[http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=85120&d=1106855104
The first picture people dislike so much makes it look like her nose had been broken.

As for there being dozens of pictures of royals as children I would guess because they are born into the public eye. Wasn't she born to a doctor and his wife? Why would we have ample access to their private non-royal life at that time? I don't know about you, but my family wouldn't make our family photo albums available to any stranger who wanted to be a voyeur into our past.

As for keeping her family private, can you blame her? The way people tear into her, she has every reason to keep them from the limelight. I wouldn't willingly put my parents or sibling through public scrutiny.

That and I think azrayy has excellent photo finding skills :)

Little_star said:
Even after the family moved to Kuwait, Rania used to visit her Aunt in Tulkarm which was her hometown.
"Queen Rania, 31, a frequent visitor to London, was brought up in Kuwait but spent her summers with her aunt in Tulkarm. "
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=819772002

Just a clarification - the article states that QR was born in Nablus. She was not. She was born in Kuwait.

Also, I do understand peoples curiosity about QRs childhood and what she looked like as a kid. There are plenty of examples of non-royal ladies who married into royal families and we have access to their childhood and baby photo's. Examples tha immediately spring to mind are Princess Diana, CP Mary of Denmark, CP Letizia etc. It is odd that we have no access to photo's of Rania especially as we have precedents within the Jordanian Royal Family such as Queen Alia and Queen Noor, both of whom have pictures easily available showing their childhood.

The only reason we have pictures of Rania at School and university is because they were freely available in yearbooks.

Back
Top Bottom