King, Queen and the earthquake in Pakistan: October 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Humera

Moderator Emeritus
Country
Canada
King condoles Pakistan, India and Afghanistan over victims of massive earthquake

Amman/ Oct. 8/ (Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II sent a cable of condolences to Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf over victims of a devastating earthquake that struck the countries of Southern Asia including northern Pakistan Saturday. In his cable King Abdullah expressed deep condolences in his name and on behalf of the Jordanian people and government to the Pakistani people and families of the victims. He also expressed Jordan's readiness to send immediate emergency aids to the damaged areas.

http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Oct/08/28095400.htm

~*~Humera~*~ said:
King condoles Pakistan, India and Afghanistan over victims of massive earthquake

Amman/ Oct. 8/ (Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II sent a cable of condolences to Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf over victims of a devastating earthquake that struck the countries of Southern Asia including northern Pakistan Saturday. In his cable King Abdullah expressed deep condolences in his name and on behalf of the Jordanian people and government to the Pakistani people and families of the victims. He also expressed Jordan's readiness to send immediate emergency aids to the damaged areas.

http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Oct/08/28095400.htm

Now that's what I'm talking about!!!:D ;)

im very happy about the prompt response from KA and his offer of help. Its a gesture one does not often see from the wealthier Arab nations.
I've been watching footage of the earthquake on and off the whole day and lets just say Im feeling a little depressed.

Last edited:
The footage from Pakistan is chilling. I wish other, far wealthier Gulf nations were as charitable in their offerings of help to those facing such a human crisis. But, by now, perhaps some have and I just haven't read about it.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
im very happy about the prompt response from KA and his offer of help. Its a gesture one does not often see from the wealthier Arab nations.
I've been watching footage of the earthquake on and off the whole day and lets just say Im feeling a little depressed.

Two Relief Planes to Head for Pakistan on Monday

Amman, Oct. 9 (Petra)-- Under His Majesty King Abdullah's directives, two military planes carrying aid stuff and medical drugs to help the victims of the earthquake. A rescue team from the Civil Security Department will be on board to help in the research process for missing people. Minister of Awqaf Abdul Salam Abbadi said the planes are laden with blankets, medical drugs, food and other relief aid. http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Oct/09/28119900.htm

Jordan’s King Abdullah makes Pakistan quake visit
(AFP) 14 October 2005

ISLAMABAD - Jordan’s King Abdullah II arrived here on Friday to offer sympathy over Pakistan’s earthquake tragedy after being one of the first leaders to offer aid, the foreign ministry said.

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/Display...inent_October531.xml&section=subcontinent&col=

King Abdullah meets President Musharraf in Islamabad:
pictures from Petra

1-2. Jordan's King Abdullah II, right, is greeted by Pakistani Foreign Minister Khursheed Kasuri upon his arrival at Chaklala Airbase, Friday, Oct. 14, 2005 in Rawalpindi, Pakistan. Abdullah II, is in Pakistan to hold meetings with the Pakistani leadership to discuss the war on terrorism and political developments among other issues facing the Muslim world. (AP Photo/Anjum Naveed)

3. Pakistan's Foreign Minister Khurshid Kasuri walks with Jordan's King Abdullah II (R) upon his arrival at the Chaklala airbase in Rawalpindi, 14 October 2005. King Abdullah II arrived 14 October to offer sympathy over Pakistan's earthquake tragedy after being one of the first leaders to offer aid, the foreign ministry said. AFP PHOTO/Farooq NAEEM

Attachments

• AP422269_guest.jpg
    AP422269_guest.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 365
  • AP422265_guest.jpg
    AP422265_guest.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 291
  • 55920606.jpg
    55920606.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
polop said:
Does anyone know how much aid Jordan has provided Pakistan?It probably doesn't matter, because government officials are not giving any of it to the victims. Iam really proud of Jordan!;)

This isn't strictly true as it must be Pakistanis who are benefitting from the field hospital, with nurses and doctors, that has been set up in Rawalkot. There were also two teams of search and rescue personel who brought in tents and blankets and food supplies. I saw a discussion on television and the general concensus is that the aid is geting throuugh, but there is a huge shortage of means of transport and villages which are still cut off. The Pakistani authorities are battling with huge distances, inhospitable terrain and many many casualties. However, the same complaints are coming out of India where number of victims and affected area is small compared to Pakistan.

Anyway, according to Petra, the Jordanian News Agency, there were 2 C130s which carried the search and rescue teams, with their equipment, and tents, blankets, and food, and an Iyllushin which took in a 25 bed field hospital, with 18 medical personel, equipment including generators and water purifiers and of course medicine. If past history is anything to go by, these hospitals will stay for a long time. Prince Rashid supervises these himself and usually goes in and out of the countries in which they are established, as he has done in Bam and Darfur. I believe the Hashemite Charity Organisation, which is headed by Prince Rashid, also has clinics in Afghanistan, Iraq, Eritera and Somalia.

There is more detailed information on the Prince Rashid thread.

Last edited:
shelley said:
This isn't strictly true as it must be Pakistanis who are benefitting from the field hospital, with nurses and doctors, that has been set up in Rawalkot. There were also two teams of search and rescue personel who brought in tents and blankets and food supplies. I saw a discussion on television and the general concensus is that the aid is geting throuugh, but there is a huge shortage of means of transport and villages which are still cut off. The Pakistani authorities are battling with huge distances, inhospitable terrain and many many casualties. However, the same complaints are coming out of India where number of victims and affected area is small compared to Pakistan.

Anyway, according to Petra, the Jordanian News Agency, there were 2 C130s which carried the search and rescue teams, with their equipment, and tents, blankets, and food, and an Iyllushin which took in a 25 bed field hospital, with 18 medical personel, equipment including generators and water purifiers and of course medicine. If past history is anything to go by, these hospitals will stay for a long time. Prince Rashid supervises these himself and usually goes in and out of the countries in which they are established, as he has done in Bam and Darfur. I believe the Hashemite Charity Organisation, which is headed by Prince Rashid, also has clinics in Afghanistan, Iraq, Eritera and Somalia.

There is more detailed information on the Prince Rashid thread.

I understand your concern, but coming from Pakistan, I know what kind of govenment is sitting there.The reports regarding the aid, from pakistani people, suggest that in the city of Aptabad, only two helicopters were providing assistance, and by looking at the pictures, one concludes other wise. I hope you realize, that in no way am I condeming Jordans efforts.;)

It is understandable that people who are in the effected areas will feel that no amount of aid or help is adequate at this time. But the area is very difficult to access in the best of times. There have been hundreds of aftershocks since the big earthquake and bad weather has delayed many flights into the northern areas. Rain is also expected for this weekend. The government, including President Musharraf have expressed regrets about this situation but much of it is beyond their control. Infact if you read much of the media like the NY Times or the Washington Post, it has been acknowledged that the gov't has moved as fast as one could expect them to in this situation, esp. a gov't with access to such a large army. There was a shortage of helicopters from the beginning. Now there are about 150 helicopters, Pakistani and international, carrying out the evacuations and relief effort. But coupled with the bad weather, the inaccessible terrain, things have been difficult.
We're not talking about a wealthy, developed nation here. And we all know what a country like the US went through after Katrina. If I were someone waiting for aid in one of the effected areas I would find it very difficult to be patient or understanding too.
But despite all the delays and problems, I think the government, which is understandably overwhelmed, is doing its best, with the help of international teams.

Last edited:
I think the wounded areas need time to be really helped in good way,in such as disasters,problems of organisation are often present as we saw in Louisiane in USA in last hurriccane,where people were not satisfied,and last year in south asia where some areas are still waiting for the aids...

Anyway,i hope that the people in need will be helped as soon as it's possibe,and the ONGs and OGs in place who are using the international aids would be controlled if those aids are really used by people to whom it was sent

Jordanian King holds wide-ranging talks with Musharraf
Pakistan Times Staff Report

ISLAMABAD: King Abdullah-II of Jordan paid a brief visit to Pakistan during which he held wide-ranging discussions on a number of bilateral and regional issues with President Pervez Musharraf and assured his country’s continued relief assistance in the wake of last week’s devastating earthquake.

President Musharraf briefed the Jordanian Monarch on the magnitude of the disaster that had befallen Pakistan and thanked him for the timely and generous assistance rendered by the Jordanian Government.

http://pakistantimes.net/2005/10/16/top1.htm

Queen to visit quake-hit city of Muzaffarabad

AMMAN (JT) — Her Majesty Queen Rania will travel to the devastated city of Muzaffarabad in Pakistan on Saturday, to visit several sites that have been affected by the Oct. 8 earthquake, which struck Pakistan, India and Afghanistan.

In her capacity as UNICEF Global Leader for Children, Queen Rania's visit will include the Abbas hospital as well as one of the UNICEF School in a Tent projects (The Government Girl's Primary School in Narole) in Muzaffarabad.

........Also, Jordan Television is organising a daylong telethon after noon prayers on Friday to raise funds for victims of the quake.
http://www.jordantimes.com/fri/homenews/homenews2.htm

KA was the first head of state to visit Pakistan after the earthquake. Queen Rania visited Iran in 2004 when an earthquake ravaged Bam and now she'll be in Pakistan. Bravo to her!

I'm really glad to hear Rania is going to be in Muzaffarabad, it's such a wonderful gesture.

I'm really touched at how involved Jordan is with the relief efforts for Pakistan:

Telethon to Raise Funds for Victims of Pakistani Quake

Amman, Oct. 28(Petra)-- Under directives by His Majesty King Abdullah II, a daylong telethon started on Friday to raise funds for victims of the quake, which hit Pakistan and claimed the lives of 51,000 people and left around 2.5 million homeless. The telethon is organized by the Jordan Hashemite Charity Organization (JHCO) in cooperation with the Jordan Radio and Television Corporation (JRTVC). Jordan had earlier sent aid and a 50- member medical team to Pakistan to help the affected people by the devastating earthquake. http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Oct/28/28437200.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Jordan queen to tour quake-devastated Kashmir town

Jordan's Queen Rania is to tour the quake-devastated town of Muzaffarabad in Pakistani-administered Kashmir at the weekend on behalf of the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), her office said.

Queen Rania will travel to Muzaffarabad on Saturday in her capacity as member of UNICEF's Global Leadership Initiative, and will visit the Abbas hospital and a school run by the UN agency, the statement said.

She will also take a planeload of relief aid, including blankets, tents, medical supplies, heaters and clothing.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051027/wl_mideast_afp/quakesasiaaidjordan_051027145737&printer=1

The Queen doing very good job it is nice from her to be with them before Eid .

I didn't realize they'd already sent a mobile hospital with personnel and supplies. So much is needed but that immediate contribution of medical care for those injured was so important! Jordan has really taken a lead in this relief effort--on many levels. I, too, think it is great that Queen Rania is going there personally.

Pardon my ignorance, is Eid the end of Ramadan?
~*~Humera~*~ said:
Jordan queen to tour quake-devastated Kashmir town

Jordan's Queen Rania is to tour the quake-devastated town of Muzaffarabad in Pakistani-administered Kashmir at the weekend on behalf of the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), her office said.

Queen Rania will travel to Muzaffarabad on Saturday in her capacity as member of UNICEF's Global Leadership Initiative, and will visit the Abbas hospital and a school run by the UN agency, the statement said.

She will also take a planeload of relief aid, including blankets, tents, medical supplies, heaters and clothing.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051027/wl_mideast_afp/quakesasiaaidjordan_051027145737&printer=1

yes Jordan has sent 5 planes loaded will relief and the field hospital. It will stay there for 6 weeks. There will be two teams working 3 week shifts each.
Maryshawn Eid-ul-Fitr takes place at the end of Ramadan. Its a very happy and festive event.

1-4. Jordan's Queen Rania meets an injured earthquake survivor at the Abbas hospital during her visit to the devastated city of Muzaffarabad, 29 October 2005. The Queen visited the capital as a representative of the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), bringing a planeload of relief supplies with her. AFP PHOTO/Asif HASSAN

5. Jordan's Queen Rania (C), senior programme officer (UNICEF) for Pakistan Ronald Van Dijk (L) and Pakistani Education Minister Ms. Zubaida Jalal (R) sit with school children during their visit of the devastated city of Muzaffarabad. AFP PHOTO/Asif HASSAN

6-7. Jordan's Queen Rania talks to the press during her visit of the earhquake-hit city of Muzaffarabad, 29 October 2005. AFP PHOTO/Asif HASSAN

Attachments

• 3140212.jpg
    3140212.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 298
  • 3140222.jpg
    3140222.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 263
  • 3140238.jpg
    3140238.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 312
  • 3140241.jpg
    3140241.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 292
  • 3140231.jpg
    3140231.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 289
  • 3140233.jpg
    3140233.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 266
  • 3140234.jpg
    3140234.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 324
Pictures from Yahoo

1. Jordan's Queen Rania talks with a Pakistan army officer upon her arrival at Chaklala airbase in Rawalpindi, Pakistan on Saturday, Oct. 29, 2005. Rania, who holds an honorary title with the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), on Saturday urged the world community to do more for survivors of the massive earthquake in Pakistan, warning that thousands of lives are in danger as winter approaches. (AP Photo)

2. Jordan's Queen Rania, left, is received by Pakistani Minister for Social Welfare Zubaida Jalal, right, upon her arrival at Chaklala airbase in Rawalpindi, Pakistan on Saturday, Oct. 29, 2005.

3-4. Jordan's Queen Rania Al-Abdullah (C) walks in a collapsed building during her visit to a makeshift school in the earthquake devastated area in Muzaffarabad, capital of Pakistani-administered Kashmir October 29, 2005.

5-6. Jordan's Queen Rania Al-Abdullah (R) meets with Kashmiri school children during her visit to a makeshift school in the earthquake devastated area in Muzaffarabad, capital of Pakistani-administered Kashmir October 29, 2005.

Attachments

• 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 503
  • 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 473
  • 2c.jpg
    2c.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 601
  • 2d.jpg
    2d.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 413
  • r1827538085.jpg
    r1827538085.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 382
  • r2137205548.jpg
    r2137205548.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 445
so awesome that Jordan has stepped up to the plate and is lending a helping hand...I am impressed to say the least

maryshawn said:
I didn't realize they'd already sent a mobile hospital with personnel and supplies. So much is needed but that immediate contribution of medical care for those injured was so important! Jordan has really taken a lead in this relief effort--on many levels. I, too, think it is great that Queen Rania is going there personally.

Pardon my ignorance, is Eid the end of Ramadan?

The first field hospital was sent out three weeks ago, through the Jordan Hashemite Charitable Organisation, which is headed by Prince Rashid El Hassan. ( see posts 14,15,17,20,26,28 on his thread) He accompanied the teams that went out then, and I believe that he is there now as well. All in all, the the JHCO has sent 8 plane loads of relief supplies to date.

Last edited:
The level of concern expressed by Prince Rashid is so commendable. I went and read all the posts. His parents, Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath, are still raising funds and support, I believe. 8 plane loads of relief are amazing.....

The photos of QR touring the ruins and visiting the people are wonderful. She seems to be trying to be comforting and positive but in one, when she's walking through the ruins of a building, she looks like she's about to cry.

If visitors are so overcome by the destruction, one can only imagine how devastated the people who live there must be. I'd read of one aftershock--which, if my math is correct, had to have occured by the time Prince Rashid and the first supplies from Jordan were on the ground. Have there been others or is the area fairly quiet?
shelley said:
The first field hospital was sent out three weeks ago, through the Jordan Hashemite Charitable Organisation, which is headed by Prince Rashid El Hassan. ( see posts 14,15,17,20,26,28 on his thread) He accompanied the teams that went out then, and I believe that he is there now as well. All in all, the the JHCO has sent 8 plane loads of relief supplies to date.

it's so nice of QR to visit the quake-devastated area. it really shows her concern for the people there.

I agree. Apart from the JRF, have leaders of foreign countries flown to Pakistan to see the devastation firsthand? I know the contributions have increased. But, in terms of representation, I don't know how many royals/leaders have actually touched down on the tarmac and walked around to see for themselves and meet the people.
florawindsor said:
it's so nice of QR to visit the quake-devastated area. it really shows her concern for the people there.

KA was the first to visit the affected areas. The PM of Turkey was next, that country has very close and friendly ties with Pakistan. Condoleeza Rice also made a surprise visit to the devastated zone.

Queen Rania's visit was on the news today on CTV. I made a few screen caps.
She urged the international community to take advantage of the small window of opportunity, before the harsh winter hits, and respond quickly.

Great shots, Humera! How long do they have, roughly speaking, before winter hits in the region? If it's a small window of opportunity, is it a month, at best? That's worrisome as these people need food, warm clothes and suitable, protective housing.

yes they have 3-4 weeks at best. The ones left behind are naturally the poorest people with little or no resources. Those who have money or are lucky enough have been taken in by family elsewhere in the country or have been evacuated. Still a lot have been left behind. Parts of the northern areas are still very difficult to access. A lot of Pakistanis are used to thinking of this region as an idyllic, breathtakingly beautiful place one might visit for honeymoons or during holidays. Even then it is challenging to travel through the difficult roads through the mountains. I hope when these places are rebuilt, ease of access is kept in mind.

Jordan's Queen Rania calls for more quake aid

Muzaffarabad: Queen Rania of Jordan urged for more aid as she visited survivors of Pakistan’s October 8 earthquake on Saturday.

"It is very urgent that we do whatever we can to send help," the queen said, pointing out that the Himalayan winter months will be coming in just four weeks. http://www.gulf-news.com/Articles/RegionNF.asp?ArticleID=189280

More pictures from ANP

Attachments

• 3140367.jpg
    3140367.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 237
  • 3140361.jpg
    3140361.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 232
  • 3140368.jpg
    3140368.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 271
  • 3140362.jpg
    3140362.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 266
  • 3140385.jpg
    3140385.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 245
  • 3140383.jpg
    3140383.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 284
  • 3140392.jpg
    3140392.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 213
  • 3140391.jpg
    3140391.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 223
  • 3140366.jpg
    3140366.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Queen Rania sends urgent plea to the world from Muzaffarabad

Muzaffarabad -Pakistan, Oct. 29 (Petra)-- Amidst the ruins of a primary school in the earthquake ravaged city of Muzaffarabad, Her Majesty Queen Rania, on Saturday, sent an urgent plea to the world, calling for an acceleration of relief efforts to the people of Pakistan. "The extent of the devastation is really hard to imagine, whole lives have been destroyed, villages and communities". Queen Rania, a member of the UNICEF Global Leadership Initiative for Children, warned that the upcoming winter will hinder the relief and aid distribution effort. "The window of opportunity for extending a helping hand is closing. It is very urgent that we intensify efforts today to do whatever we can. It is a moral obligation." The October 8 earthquake, which struck Pakistan, India and Afghanistan has to date left over 50,000 dead, 75,000 injured, and over 3.3 million homeless. At the Abbas Hospital, one of the city's few health facilities that remain standing, Queen Rania visited various wards, crowded with injured women and children. She comforted patients as they shared with her stories of their suffering and loss. Health experts and international organizations have called attention to the increasing risk of disease outbreak amongst children, with measles, polio and tetanus representing the most pressing threats. Approximately 120,000 children have been vaccinated. UNICEF is supporting Pakistan to immunize affected children and provide them with Vitamin A supplements. Queen Rania was accompanied by His Royal Highness Prince Rashed bin Al Hassan, President of the Jordan Hashemite Charity Organization, Pakistani Minister of Social Welfare and Special Education, Mrs. Zubaida Jallal, and Senior Program Officer at UNICEF Pakistan, Mr. Ronald Van Dijk, among other high-ranking Pakistani and UNICEF officials. Tens of young students took a break as the Queen joined them in a makeshift UNICEF tent currently serving as a classroom, at the site where their school once stood. The Government Primary School for Girls in Narul collapsed as a result of the earthquake, killing over 85 students and teachers. "UNICEF tries to relieve the distress of these children by diverting their attention. We provide them with opportunities to learn and play in safe spaces," said Ronald Van Dijk. While in the Capital, Queen Rania met with Begum Sehba Musharraf, First Lady of Pakistan and discussed the urgent needs and challenges. A 5th plane load of relief from Jordan accompanied Queen Rania, carrying humanitarian aid and supplies to Pakistan. Jordan was one of the first countries to provide support to the country. A rescue team from the Civil Defense Department joined thousands searching for survivors. In addition, a Jordanian army field hospital, composed of 50 beds and a team of 52 medical and technical physicians, was deployed to provide round-the-clock medical care. On Friday, Jordan held a day-long telethon on state television to raise funds for the victims of the quake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom