King, Queen and the earthquake in Pakistan: October 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any news on how the telethon fared? It's a good idea. I know results of telethons here now are down due to so many tragedies occuring in the US--and worldwide. People are getting tapped out. But Jordan seems to have maintained a consistent focus on the Pakistan situation so perhaps they raised very substantial monies. I hope so!

And just when you didn't think things in that region could get any worse, terrorism has struck in New Delhi, India's capital.......three separate blasts, 58 deaths and counting. Unbelievable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Global response to earthquake not enough: Queen Rania

MUZAFFARABD: Queen Rania Al-Abdullah II of Jordan on Saturday said the global response to help the affected people of October 8 earthquake was "not enough" and asked the world to fulfil its moral obligation to save the lives.

"If we do not act now, thousands more innocent people are going to die ... I have seen the global response effort in Pakistan, and I must tell you, it’s not enough," she told reporters during her visit to the devastated capital of Azad Jammu and Kashmir. http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/index.html

From Newcom:

RAWALPINDI, PAKISTAN OCT 29: Jordan's Queen Rania exchanging views with First Lady Begum Sehba Musharraf at President House during her visit on Saturday, October 29, 2005 in Rawalpindi, Pakistan. (Photo by PID/PPI Photo).

Attachments

• ppiphotos000302.jpg
    ppiphotos000302.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 642
Last edited:
maryshawn said:
Any news on how the telethon fared? It's a good idea. I know results of telethons here now are down due to so many tragedies occuring in the US--and worldwide. People are getting tapped out. But Jordan seems to have maintained a consistent focus on the Pakistan situation so perhaps they raised very substantial monies. I hope so!

there was a telethon on 3 different arabs channels TV the last week , it was orgnized by saudi government and a lot of people from around the arab world participated by donations and until now those channels air advertisements to ask for more donations before the winter came .

I am proud of Queen Rania , I saw her today speaking on TV about the sad situation of these victims .

Thank you, houri. So it was arranged by the Saudi government and was more of a regional endeavor? That's wonderful. And the ads seeking donations so people in Pakistan can be helped before winter are great; I hadn't heard that before.

Is QR's demeanor when speaking fairly composed? Is she emotional in her plea for assistance for the Pakistanis? I've read what she is saying and am very proud of her; would love to see her televised here but, thus far, can find nothing--which is a shame.

houri said:
there was a telethon on 3 different arabs channels TV the last week , it was orgnized by saudi government and a lot of people from around the arab world participated by donations and until now those channels air advertisements to ask for more donations before the winter came .

I am proud of Queen Rania , I saw her today speaking on TV about the sad situation of these victims .

maryshawn said:
Thank you, houri. So it was arranged by the Saudi government and was more of a regional endeavor? That's wonderful. And the ads seeking donations so people in Pakistan can be helped before winter are great; I hadn't heard that before.

Is QR's demeanor when speaking fairly composed? Is she emotional in her plea for assistance for the Pakistanis? I've read what she is saying and am very proud of her; would love to see her televised here but, thus far, can find nothing--which is a shame.

it wasn't a speech so she was trying to chose the best words
she mentioned children and women and their need for help before winter when she was talking with the victims she seemed very intersting of that they were saying
I loved her smiling for children .

Pictures of Queen Rania in Muzaffarabad:

A few more pics of Queen Rania in Muzaffarabad (Face to Face) Prince Rashid is visible in the 3rd pic.

There are also pictures at this link of another Jordanian medical team heading to Pakistan:
http://www.petranews.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Oct/29/APDaily1.htm

Maryshawn the telethon you were speaking of took place in Jordan on Friday.
Some pictures here:
http://www.petranews.gov.jo/nepras/2005/Oct/28/APDaily1.htm

Queen Rania sends urgent plea to the world from Muzaffarabad to accelerate Pakistani relief efforts

. . . "The window of opportunity for extending a helping hand is closing…It is very urgent that we intensify efforts today to do whatever we can… It is a moral obligation."
. . .
While in the Capital, Queen Rania met with Begum Sehba Musharraf, First Lady of Pakistan and discussed the urgent needs and challenges.

A 5th plane load of relief from Jordan accompanied Queen Rania, carrying humanitarian aid and supplies to Pakistan. Jordan was one of the first countries to provide support to the country. A rescue team from the Civil Defense Department joined thousands searching for survivors. In addition, a Jordanian army field hospital, composed of 50 beds and a team of 52 medical and technical physicians, was deployed to provide round-the-clock medical care.

On Friday, Jordan held a day-long telethon on state television to raise funds for the victims of the quake. Rania Al Abdullah Queen of Jordan Official Web Site

Last edited:
This is a really good article about QR's visit. It has quite a few quotes from her. She mentions the plight of orphaned and injured children in particular:

Aid efforts should be intensified: Rania

MUZAFFARABAD, Oct 29: Queen Rania Al-Abdullah of Jordan on Saturday underlined the urgency of the situation arising out in Pakistan’s quake-hit region and called upon the international community to speed up aid efforts for the rehabilitation of victims.

“It’s very urgent to intensify efforts for the rehabilitation of the victims of this earthquake,” she told reporters after visiting a makeshift school alongside a tent village in Narul locality.

http://www.dawn.com/2005/10/30/top15.htm

Muzaffarabad | Queen of hearts
Jordan’s Queen Rania Al-Abdullah meets with Kashmiri school children during her visit to a makeshift school in quake-hit Muzaffarabad. reuters

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2005\10\30\story_30-10-2005_pg1_9http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=20051030story_30-10-2005_pg1_9

Great shots, Humera! How long do they have, roughly speaking, before winter hits in the region? If it's a small window of opportunity, is it a month, at best? That's worrisome as these people need food, warm clothes and suitable, protective housing.

To a certain degree, winter is already there. We stayed with some friends several years ago in Ayubia, which is in the mountains. It was the middle of summer yet every night we needed several blankets, and had to wear cardigans in the evening as the temperature was always low.
When I first heard abotut the quake one of my first thoughts was of how cold it would soon be getting.

Ranis' trip seems to have been a success and I'm glad that she went and helped to raise the profile. The international response has been shocking,

From Hello.

raniatit.gif

31 OCTOBER 2005

Queen Rania has been doing her bit to bolster the spirits of Pakistani people trying to recover from the recent earthquake. The Jordanian royal, who is well-known for her commitment to humanitarian causes, spent the weekend visiting survivors of the natural disaster that ravaged large parts of their homeland earlier this month. http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2005/10/31/queenrania/

Thanks, Little Star. Although it makes it even more worrisome that you were there during the summer months and needed warm clothing and blankets as it was still chilly. Makes the need more urgent. I didn't even think about the cold they might be experiencing..... Yes, Queen Rania is doing marvelous work in this. She is an excellent combination of pragmatism in seeing and quickly assessing what was needed, and warmth.....yes, Houri, her rapport with children was lovely to see (I did catch a brief piece on it):) After major devastations like this, I worry, after the initial response, people will lose motivation and remember there is still a lot to be done. The Queen's visit was well-timed and I hope it's opened some eyes!
Little_star said:
To a certain degree, winter is already there. We stayed with some friends several years ago in Ayubia, which is in the mountains. It was the middle of summer yet every night we needed several blankets, and had to wear cardigans in the evening as the temperature was always low.
When I first heard abotut the quake one of my first thoughts was of how cold it would soon be getting.

Ranis' trip seems to have been a success and I'm glad that she went and helped to raise the profile. The international response has been shocking,

Humera,

Thank you so much for adding many pictures of Queen Rania in Pakistan very interesting to see! I only see few and cant find more on website..

Take care

Syima

These are great pictures. I love the style of the white neckscarf Rania is wearing: it looks very elegant on her. I'm thinking she will try to use her influence to see that the Pakistani earthquake victims will not be forgotten as time goes by. She really does seem to have that charisma and compassion for others that Princess Diana had.

More pictures of Queen Rania from the visit to the earthquake zone in Pakistan. From Newscom.

Jordan queen in TV campaign for Pakistan quake children

AMMAN (AFP) - Jordan's Queen Rania has launched a television appeal for the child victims of last month's devastating earthquake in Pakistan that killed more than 73,000 people and has left millions homeless.

"The children of the Pakistan earthquake need you. Many are sick and injured. And now, the outbreak of disease poses an immediate and very real threat," the queen says in a public service announcement.

"It only takes five dollars to immunize a child and give him or her a new lease on life. Help us reach the four million children who need protection from disease."

The media campaign has been launched in cooperation with the UN children's fund, UNICEF, and the public service announcements were being aired on television stations carried by Arabsat and Euro Sat.

Queen Rania visited earthquake survivors in Muzaffarabad, the devastated capital of Pakistan-controlled Kashmir, last week as a representative of UNICEF, and took a planeload of relief supplies.

"It is very urgent to intensify efforts for the rehabilitation of affected people," she told reporters during her visit.

Jordan was among the first countries to send aid to Pakistan in the aftermath of the 7.6 earthquake that struck on October 8.

King Abdullah II visited Pakistan on October 14, the first foreign head of state to do so after the quake.

The desert kingdom has already sent five planes of relief goods to its fellow Muslim country along with a 25-bed mobile hospital with a 50-member staff.
State-run Jordan television is running a telethon to collect donations. http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/2005110...fL1AZO7gF;_ylu=X3oDMTA5bGVna3NhBHNlYwNzc3JlbA--

Last edited:
Its wonderful what Queen Rania's been doing to draw attention to this very serious issue, and while her own country has been doing its share despite its own limited resources, she's still out encouraging others to do do more. The international response has been so disappointing. The Queen's message will be aired in the ME and Europe, both regions that could do a lot more to help with the earthquake.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
Its wonderful what Queen Rania's been doing to draw attention to this very serious issue, and while her own country has been doing its share despite its own limited resources, she's still out encouraging others to do do more. The international response has been so disappointing. The Queen's message will be aired in the ME and Europe, both regions that could do a lot more to help with the earthquake.

Well said Humera!. :)

I agree QR is doing a great job on this issue:)

Why is it not being aired in the US? That's disappointing. I know people are still recovering from the hurricanes but there is still a lot that could be done and additional monies raised. I scarcely see the Pakistan devastation mentioned in the news anymore.
Lillia said:
Well said Humera!. :)

I agree QR is doing a great job on this issue:)

maryshawn said:
Why is it not being aired in the US? That's disappointing. I know people are still recovering from the hurricanes but there is still a lot that could be done and additional monies raised. I scarcely see the Pakistan devastation mentioned in the news anymore.

I was reading the Chicago Tribune the other day.Brad and Jen got a spot in the news and 1 million homeless Pakistani were not even mentioned in the whole newspaper!:mad: This is a perfect example of American media's priorities.:(

That's awful. Editors publish the stories they believe will make people want to buy their papers--and in our celebrity obsessed culture, Brad and Jen are still (unbelievably) news. But there should be an element of social consciousness and a commitment to reporting actual "news." I know a lot of people in the US are not familiar with Queen Rania but the media here missed an opportunity when they elected not to feature her heartfelt plea for those suffering in Pakistan--particularly her important point that winter is coming, people there are still homeless and/or injured, and the relief efforts must not only continue but grow in scale.
polop said:
I was reading the Chicago Tribune the other day.Brad and Jen got a spot in the news and 1 million homeless Pakistani were not even mentioned in the whole newspaper!:mad: This is a perfect example of American media's priorities.:(

I saw the Queen message on the TV and I am happy that she do it
I hope her efforts will help the earth quake victims .

Originally Posted by maryshawn

I was wondering about that too. The message is a public service announcement for UNICEF so I guess they decide where it is aired.
This is very different from the tsunami where we saw money literally pouring in within days of the disaster. One of the big reasons for that was the fact that a lot of citizens from western nations were affected by the disaster. They were familiar with the areas that had been devastated, many of which had been popular destinations for western tourists. For this reason we saw a lot of interest and a huge outpouring of relief. There were memorial services and many European royals took an active part in those events.
With the Pakistani earthquake, we see none of that. The people who died and were left homeless are from remote regions that many in the west haven't even heard of. It is sad but true. I am convinced of that. And even the president of Pakistan publicly said the same thing recently.
The King and Queen of Jordan, and the JRF, are therefore to be commended for standing head and shoulders above everyone else in this matter.
A few years ago, Queen Rania was making similar pleas for humanitarian aid to Iraq, writing a letter to the Times and urging Bush and Blair to let aid go into the country. She seems to have a history of speaking out for causes that the world at large seems to have forgotten. Many people seem to forget all of that. And here she is doing the same thing for the Pakistani earthquake. Bravo to her once again.

I'm so glad that Rania is helping boost the earthquake appeal. The international response has been disgusting and President Musharraf is right when he says the reason is becuase no Westerners were affected. There were fresh tremors yesterday (and serious ones at that) so this appeal needs to remain in the headlines.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
A few years ago, Queen Rania was making similar pleas for humanitarian aid to Iraq, writing a letter to the Times and urging Bush and Blair to let aid go into the country. She seems to have a history of speaking out for causes that the world at large seems to have forgotten. Many people seem to forget all of that. And here she is doing the same thing for the Pakistani earthquake. Bravo to her once again.

humera, i can't agree more with you. rania is one of the most active royals to me and she does a great job. she is not just there to pick flowers, as i always say, but she carries out a lot of projects and is involved in really active causes, and doesn't seem to doubt when it comes to state her position about different causes in conferences around the world and even writing in newspapers. but... people don't appreciate that and just look how much she spends on clothes. there are lots of princesses around europe who manage to spend that amount of money as well in the same brands as rania and cannot look as good as she does, but nobody cares.

A short video of Queen Rania's visit to the earthquake zone in Pakistan:
http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/pakistan_29579.html
(under "video" on the right)

The public service announcement isnt on the UNICEF website yet.

I found another video of QR's visit to Pakistan:
http://xgen.vitalstream.com/mcasx.asx?media=1951272&package=1409546

The report is from GEO TV, it is in Urdu but there are images of Queen Rania at the beginning and towards the end.
The reporter basically described the Queen's visit to a hospital and to a tent city in a local stadium. He said she was very worried after seeing that thousands of children had been injured and disabled. Many of them have lost their parents and the Queen said she didnt want them to feel as if they'd been left all alone and that they should get all needed support. She said that her own government would provide all necessary help and also urged the media to tell the world of the scope of the devastation caused by the earthquake.

Last edited:
Now, see, this is a classic example. If you had not posted this, I would not have known about these new tremors. I read the papers daily and not a word!!!! Very, very different than the tsunami situation--and I believe President Musharraf is correct in his assessment. I am very troubled that a UNICEF announcement would not be aired in the US. Yes, they have say in where it will be aired but it also requires the cooperation and willingness of the media to provide the free air time. I cannot imagine UNICEF would not have wanted to have QR's appeal airing here so that makes me wonder if/why the US media did not show it. OR if they didn't feel QR had a high enough profile in the US, get someone else to film one! We are still seeing former presidents and celebs appeal for hurricane relief and I recall similar aid appeals made after the tsumanis. It's really an outrageous situation! Thank God some countries' media found the time to broadcast Rania's message. And kudos to her for her diligence and perserverance in this!

Little_star said:
I'm so glad that Rania is helping boost the earthquake appeal. The international response has been disgusting and President Musharraf is right when he says the reason is becuase no Westerners were affected. There were fresh tremors yesterday (and serious ones at that) so this appeal needs to remain in the headlines.

Maryshawn, personally, I think the tsunami had a greater impact partly becuase of the timeing. It was Boxing Day, millions of pepole had just celebrated Christmas and then to see such horrific images on their TV, I think it awakened the Christmas spirit in alot of people.

True. The timing helped. We're having a blizzard here tonight and I can't imagine how horrible the conditions must be in Pakistan right now. I just keep wishing it would get more attention in the US. Ironically, it's now the bombings in Amman which have wiped almost every story here off the media's radar. It should be reported on, of course, but it's my personal belief the media decides on what to report for public consumption and what is going on in Pakistan should not be erased. Not when so many are struggling to survive. I liked the fact Queen Rania tried to keep the world's eye on the situation with her appeals and visit. This cause needs more high-profile supporters.

Little_star said:
Maryshawn, personally, I think the tsunami had a greater impact partly becuase of the timeing. It was Boxing Day, millions of pepole had just celebrated Christmas and then to see such horrific images on their TV, I think it awakened the Christmas spirit in alot of people.

Queen Rania's PSA for Unicef's Pakistan earthquake appeal

It is finally online and can be viewed at this link: UNICEF - Video/Audio -

It is in arabic but you can also read the script in English:

"The children of Pakistan earthquake need you. Many are sick and injured. And now, the outbreak of disease poses an immediate and very real threat. It only takes five dollars to immunize a child and give him, or her, a new lease on life. Help us reach the 4 million children who need protection from disease. Help restore young lives, reshape futures, and rekindle hope for a better tomorrow." http://www.unicef.org/videoaudio/files/QueenRaniaPSA.pdf

Last edited:
It's great to see tht Rania hasn't forgotten her commitments to the earthquake victimes after the recent events in Jordan. It would be so easy for her to sideline her activities there and she hasn't done. A definite thank you to Rania, from me at least.

Back
Top Bottom