Details of the 80th Birthday Celebrations of the Norwegian Royal Couple
The King and Queen of Norway are both turning eighty years old in 2017 (King Harald on February 21, and Queen Sonja on July 4) and will be having joint celebrations in a few days time. Below is an overview of the festivities and the foreign guests with confirmed attendance.
May 9, 5:30pm: Entertainment in the Palace Square outside the Royal Palace of Oslo. King Harald, Queen Sonja, their family and royal guests will appear on the Palace balcony at 6:30pm
May 9, 8pm: A gala dinner at the Royal Palace of Oslo.
May 10, 11am: Luncheon aboard the Royal Yacht Norge during a mini-cruise of the Oslo Fjord.
May 10, 7pm: A black-tie dinner at the Opera, hosted by the Norwegian government as their gift to the King and Queen.
- Belgium: King Philippe and Queen Mathilde
- Denmark: Queen Margrethe II, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary, Prince Joachim and Princess Marie
- Finland: President Sauli Niinistö and First Lady Jenni Haukio
- Iceland: President Guðni Thorlacius Jóhannesson and First Lady Eliza Reid
- Luxembourg: Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa, Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume and Hereditary Grand Duchess Stéphanie
- Spain: King Juan Carlos I and Queen Sofia
- Sweden: King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel, Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia
Where To Watch
Both NRK and TV2 will have live broadcasts of the evening festivities on both days.
They will both show the Palace Square entertainment, and the greetings, procession and speeches from the gala banquet on May 9; and the arrivals and a highlight reel of the dinner at the Opera on May 10. TV2 has the additional coverage of the arrivals to the Norge luncheon on May 10.
Visit this thread to stay up-to-date with all celebration details, and to access links to online broadcasts during the celebrations.Filed under Norway
Tagged Birthday, Harald V of Norway, Queen Sonja of Norway.