Death of Fürst Albrecht of Castell-Castell
Albrecht Friedrich Karl, 3rd Fürst of Castell-Castell, has died at the age of 90 yesterday. He was born on August 13th 1925 at Schloss Castell as the second son of the 2nd Fürst and Princess Anna-Agnes of Solms-Hohensolms-Lich. He succeeded as head of the family in 1945 after both his elder brother as his father had died in action during WWII.
In 1951 he married Princess Marie-Louise of Waldeck-Pyrmont, eldest child of Prince Max of Waldeck-Pyrmont and Countess Gustava of Platten Hallermund. Princess Marie-Louise’s paternal grandfather was Fürst Friedrich of Waldek-Pyrmont, last reigning prince of the tiny principality and brother of among others Queen Marie of Württemberg, Queen Emma of The Netherlands and Helen, Duchess of Albany.
The couple had 8 children, 6 of whom are still alive:
- Countess Philippa (b. 1952), who married Prince Michael of Salm-Salm
- Countess Johanna (b. 1952), who married Prince Johannes Lobcovicz
- Hereditary Count Maximilian (b. 1953, d. 1974 )
- Count Alexander (b. 1954), who married firstly Marion Stepp and secondly Donatha Herzfeld
- Count Georg Friedrich (b. 1956), who married Franziska Greuner
- Countess Christina (b. 1962, d. 1964)
- Count Ferdinand (b. 1965) who married Countess Marie Gabrielle von Degenfeld-Schonburg
- Countess Stephanie (b. 1966), who married Count Georg of Khevenhüller-Metsch
The late Fürst was involved in managing the family properties, among them Schoss Castell, a wine property, forestry and a bank. For his activities in various charities he received the German order of merit in 1991. He was also active in the evangelic-lutheran church in Bavaria and participated as a preacher.
The Fürst will be succeeded by his youngest son Ferdinand.Filed under Germany
Tagged Albrecht Fürst zu Castell-Castell, Castell-Castell, Death.