Your Favourite Royal Eyes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My favorites are the Prince of Wales and Prince Harry

NORWAY
Mette-Marie - blue
Haakon - brown
Märtha Louise - blue
Marius - blue
Ingrid Alexandra - brown
Sverre Magnus - brown

just happened upon this old comment of mine and have to amend that Sverre Magnus has blue. Not sure what I was thinking when I typed brown?! I've also noticed that Haakon's are sometimes green/hazel even if the majority of the time they're brown.
As for my favorite(s)... would have to be Nikolai of Denmark followed by Leonor of Spain x

How could Infanta Sofía have dark brown eyes when both King and Queen both have light

I am not a genetic expert, but the genes for light colored eyes (blue, green, grey etc) are recessive: Meaning that every person with light eyes carries two genes for light eyes. And thus can only give such a gene to his/her child.

Infanta Sofía of Spain has brown eyes. How did she get the dominant gene for dark (brown, hazel) eyes?
Genes of a child come directly from each of her parents,
Since King Felipe (Blue) and Queen Letizia (green) both have recessive (light eyes) they both only have recessive eye genes to donate.

Any parent that gives a dominant gene (brown,hazel eyes) to a child must, by definition, have dark eyes him/her self.

Last edited:
Queen Letizia's eyes look like dark hazel to me. They look similar to her daughter's eyes.

:previous: I agree. Letizia has beautiful medium hazel eyes...and in some photos they appear almost green.

I am not a genetics expert, but the genes for light-colored eyes (blue, green, grey, etc) are recessive: Meaning that every person with light eyes carries two genes for light eyes. And thus can only give such a gene to his/her child.

That's not entirely true. If a brown-eyed person carries the recessive allele for blue eyes and has a child with another brown-eyed person that carries the recessive allele for blue eyes, their child will have blue eyes. If one of those parents had a green allele, the child would have green eyes. In this way, a child with blue eyes (or green) will also have a brown allele that they, in turn, would pass on to their children. So, sometimes a person with blue eyes has only blue alleles, sometimes they don't. Brown eyes are dominant over all colors, green eyes are dominant over blue, and blue eyes are always recessive.

This is a rather simplistic diagram, but it does a decent job of showing what the odds are that a child will have X colored eyes, depending on the eye color of the parent --> http://files.kidspot.co.nz/kidspotnz/eyecolour-chart_2.gif

Queen Letizia doesn't have green eyes, though. Her eyes are more of a hazel brown color, which is why Infanta Sofia's eyes are brown.

Haakon, Catherine and Letizia all have the sort of brown eyes that can appear very green under circumstances but are not actually green; see all their obviously brown-eyed children with blue-eyed spouses.

Nikolai of Denmark is the child of brown- and blue-eyed parents but seemingly has much clearer, lighter, true green eyes (at least until he has a kid with brown eyes....). I don't think anyone else does. They're the rarest human eye color for a reason.

Edit: Nik.

Last edited:
Princess Madeleine of Sweden, her son Prince Nicolas, Queen Jetsun Pema of Bhutan, and Prince Nikolai of Denmark have the most beautiful Royal eyes imo.

Charlotte Casiraghi's husband Dimitri Rassam is not Royal of course but he has the most amazing green eyes I have ever seen on a man.

Prince Jean Christophe Napoleon Bonaparte has blue eyes.

What's the color of the eyes of Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg? It looks blue-grey

Back
Top Bottom