Vatican City State: History and Residences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pope Gregory VIII was Pope for two months from October 21 to December 17, 1187. He issued the papal bull Audita tremendi. The papal bull called for the Third Crusade.

This Crusade was also known as the King's Crusade as it was joined by Richard the Lionheart,Philippe II of France and Frederick I, Holy Roman Emperor.
The Crusade failed in its attempts to re-capture Jerusalem.The wife and sister of Richard the Lionheart (Berengaria of Navarre and Joan of England accompanied the king as far as Cyprus.
Queen Eleanor ruled England during the kings absence and in France the kings mother ,Adèle de Champagne acted as Regent there.

A look into the ancient crypt of San Calixto where more than 50 martyrs and 16 Popes are buried.

Visit of Queen Elizabeth II and Duke of Edinburgh to Pope John Paul II at the Vatican, 17 October 2000.

Footage of Pope John Paul II arrival in Alaska on May 2, 1984 with President Reagan.

3 Nov 1982 - Pope John Paul II arrives to Madrid and is greeted by King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia of Spain.

Preparations ahead of the lighting Christmas tree and Nativity scene at St Peters Square.

The Vatican will return sculpture fragments from the Parthenon have been in the Vatican Museums since the 19th century. Pope Francis ordered the return and is giving the items to the Orthodox Archbishop of Athens.

I am happy that those pieces of Greek history and architecture will return to GREECE where they belong ;)

Saint Peter (died between AD 64 and 68), also known as Peter the Apostle, Peter the Rock, Simon Peter, Simeon, Simon, or Cephas, was one of the Twelve Apostles of Jesus Christ, and one of the first leaders of the early Christian Church. He is traditionally counted as the first bishop of Rome*—*or pope*—*and also as the first bishop of Antioch.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Peter

Pope Benedict XVI visits the tombs of his predecessors

Pope Francis visits Vatican Grottoes to pray for deceased Pontiffs

Vatican Grotoes video

Its reported that German Archbishop Georg Ganswein, the former personal secretary to Pope Benedict XVI will release his tell all book "Nothing But The Truth - My Life Beside Benedict XVI".

The tell all 330 paged booked will be released on January 12th
https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...s-top-aide-memoir-rattles-vatican-2023-01-09/

Oh dear.It might be revealing on some pressing issues from during the late Popes Pontificate.

I saw an interview with him last week.I prefer his book over another at this moment in time

Oh dear.It might be revealing on some pressing issues from during the late Popes Pontificate.

I saw an interview with him last week.I prefer his book over another at this moment in time

From what I have read over the years I assume there's some tension between Pope Francis and Archbishop Georg Ganswein over the years!

From what I have read over the years I assume there's some tension between Pope Francis and Archbishop Georg Ganswein over the years!

That is the impression we all got,but the Archbishop denied that in the interview mentioned.Clearly there is a huge gap between the late and present Pope and the way both the Church and the Vatican are run,and the Archbishop got stuck in the middle so to speak.Difficult.

Plus he is of the Sancta Subito sort regarding Pope Benedict...A tad much,each and every Pope is beatified these days...and I always feel..`Did I miss something`? It looses the sanctified aura and comes across as as common as muck,overzealous,Holyer than thou,that sort of thing.

Last edited:
Pope Pius X lowered the age for First Communion to seven years old.
He encouraged the frequent reception of Holy Communion.

The Vatican has returned 3 fragments of the Parthenon sculptures to Greece,the decision was made by Pope Francis last year.
The move was described as a "gesture of friendship"

Greece welcomed the return from the Vatican of ancient artifacts from the Acropolis.

A group of Rabbis have been invited to the Vatican Library to study an important collection of Hebrew manuscripts that are housed there.

Pope John XXI (Latin: Ioannes XXI; c. 1215 – 20 May 1277), born Pedro Julião, was head of the Catholic Church and ruler of the Papal States from 8 September 1276 to his death on 20 May 1277. Apart from Damasus I (from Roman Lusitania), he has been the only Portuguese pope.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_John_XXI

Last edited:
Last month during a visit to the Vatican,the President of Ireland and his wife unveiled a plaque in the Vatican to the Irish Wartime priest,Monsignor
Hugh O'Flaherty.
During the Occupation of Italy and Rome ,Monsignor O'Flaherty helped save the lives of over 6,500 Allied POW and Jews by smuggling them out with the assistance of the Irish Dominicans at the Vatican and other religious orders.
He earned the nickname The Scarlet Pimpernel
of the Vatican
for having constantly outwitting the Gestapo.

In poor health after the War the Monsignor returned to his native Ireland and died in 1963.
He was made famous by the actor Gregory Peck in the 1983 film The Scarlet and the Black.
https://www.irishtimes.com/world/eu...ed-thousands-from-nazis-commemorated-in-rome/

Here's a detailed Map of the Vatican City

1280px-Vatican_City_map_EN.svg.png

The ongoing Vatican Museums' Art Restoration

Bernini's Historic Baldacchino at St. Peter's Basilica is to Undergo Major Restoration ahead of The Jubilee Year of 2025

There were several Papal Enclaves of Territory outside the Papal States which survived up until the French Revolution.
The Comtat Venaissin
This territory was part of the Papal States from 1274–1791 and was situated in the modern day Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region of France.

Avignon was added in 1348.

Comtat_venaissin.png

Europe in 1748 the The Comtat Venaissin/Avignon was a Papal Enclave
1024px-Europe_1748-1766_en.png

The French Republic and the Papal States signed a peace Treaty in September 1797 following the French annexation of the Comtat Venaissin/Avignon.
The Treaty of Tolentino

Back
Top Bottom