Funerals - Princely Family of Monaco

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Protocol

Why were Rainier and Albert wearing the frack during Grace's funeral?
HSH's Princess Grace's Funeral was a State one and a formal affair. The "frock" you refer to is possibly the two Morning coats with striped trousers that Rainier and Pa wore with gloves which the protocol of the funeral called for.
It also was a showing of the deep respect to Grace that the family had to get attired formally to say their farewells.It was a "High Catholic" ceremony and equivalent to something happening in The Vatican with high ranking members of the Church there presiding over the funeral.
So I guess you could not turn up in jeans.

I perfectly agree, you can't attend the state funeral of the Princess of Monaco wearing jeans; my question raised because, as far as I know, the "frac" or "frack" or "white tie" or "evening dress" is not the dress usually worn at a funeral; usually attending a State funeral the relatives wear a black morning dress (or a military uniform), but never an evening dress; you can see the pictures of the funeral of Prince Rainier in 2005, and Albert II, Andrea and Pierre Casiraghi, Ernst August and Christian of Hannover were all wearing a black morning dress.
So now I wonder: why, when and how did the protocol about State funerals change in the years between the funerals of Grace and Rainier?

Since Rainier planned & arranged his own funeral (down to the presence of his dog and using his valets as pall bearers), I suspect he determined that military wear was out and the dress code marginally more relaxed than that chosen for Grace's funeral.

I didn't know Rainier planned his own funeral. Well, that would explain the presence of his dog in it.

I wonder, with whom the Casiraghi trio have stayed with while his mother and family were in their father's funeral.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom