Engagement of Infanta Maria Francisca de Bragança and Duarte de Sousa Araújo Martins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The wedding will take place at the National Palace of Mafra:

“The wedding was initially supposed to take place at the Jerónimos Monastery but we moved to the Mafra National Palace which has more space and allows us to be with all the guests. I'm super happy because it's beautiful and has an unbelievable historical value. It is an honor to get married there" said the
Infanta D. Maria Francisca in an interview with Caras.

On that picture Maria Francisca looks a lot like her mother.

It is great to see that the relations with the current head of state are such that he is invited to this wedding; and it seems they are open to providing the media access without necessarily expecting it. Sounds like a good (but always delicate - as a no longer reigning royal family) balance.

I also noticed that Maria Francisca is a Highness instead of a royal highness. Are her elder brother and parents also only highnesses?
Their family has generally had good relations with some of the heads of the Portuguese republic as I think one of the previous presidents was invited to her parent’s wedding. Plus the family have been invited to some state banquets and notably a state visit involving the Luxembourg royals to Portugal.

The wedding will take place at the National Palace of Mafra:

“The wedding was initially supposed to take place at the Jerónimos Monastery but we moved to the Mafra National Palace which has more space and allows us to be with all the guests. I'm super happy because it's beautiful and has an unbelievable historical value. It is an honor to get married there" said the
Infanta D. Maria Francisca in an interview with Caras.

Is not a Roman Catholic Wedding suppose to be held in a Roman Catholic church, a Roman Catholic cathedral or a Roman Catholic chapel?

Mafra is like the Escorial in Spain. It's not just a palace, but a religious complex with chapels etc...Look it up, it's huge and a gorgeous church to have a wedding in.

Hello everyone! I had access to new information on the upcoming wedding. The head of the comunication of the Royal House confirmed throught email that the wedding is going to be televisioned (TVI Channel).

Well wishers are welcomed at the entrance of the Royal Basilica and some foreign royals have already confirmed their presence. See all in my IG post: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cw408z3oWWj/

More information was revealed about the wedding of Infanta Maria Francisca and Duarte Martins, which will take place on October 7th at 3 pm.
It will be attended by several foreign royal families and will be broadcast on television.

On the 7th of October, the first wedding in the Portuguese Royal Family in more than 25 years will take place at the Royal Palace of Mafra, at 3:00 pm, the happy union of S.A. the Infanta Dona Maria Francisca with Duarte de Sousa Araújo Martins . In the style of the ancient royal weddings that marked the 800 years of the Portuguese monarchy, this great ceremony will bring together in that monument erected by Dom João V, more than one thousand and two hundred guests, including prominent personalities from social and political life from the four corners of the world, including members of foreign royal families.

This event deserves to be celebrated and the Royal Association of Lisbon with its Núcleo do Oeste are preparing a great popular party in the Terreiro in front of the Basilica, open to all who want to be associated with this memorable event, which will be attended by welcoming people from village of Mafra and other municipalities in the region. The wedding, broadcast on television, can be watched on two giant screens installed in the square, where a colorful popular entertainment program will take place with the participation of folklore groups and other groups from different regions of the country, without forgetting the chiming of the carillons.

https://www.reallisboa.pt/ral/index...oSIl54SmR_bvNydC6AiRpSdUsc2ZMLfDU9e53xwlxfeBc

https://monarquiaportuguesa.blogs.sapo.pt/casamento-da-infanta-dona-maria-1146148

Maria Francisca de Bragança will marry Duarte de Sousa Araújo Martins on October 7th in the basilica of the Mafra Palace. As happened 28 years ago, with Duarte de Bragança and Isabel de Herédia, the wedding will be broadcast on television.

The wedding will be broadcast on TVI from 3 pm live on October 7th.

The information was confirmed by João Távora, president of the Real Associação de Lisboa.

https://www.impala.pt/famosos/nacio...ansmite-casamento-da-familia-real-portuguesa/

On that picture Maria Francisca looks a lot like her mother.

It is great to see that the relations with the current head of state are such that he is invited to this wedding; and it seems they are open to providing the media access without necessarily expecting it. Sounds like a good (but always delicate - as a no longer reigning royal family) balance.

I also noticed that Maria Francisca is a Highness instead of a royal highness. Are her elder brother and parents also only highnesses?

I think Royal Highness is reserved in the Portuguese custom only to those in direct line to the throne. His eldest brother and his eldest brother's firstborn son would be Royal Highnesses then.

I think Royal Highness is reserved in the Portuguese custom only to those in direct line to the throne. His eldest brother and his eldest brother's firstborn son would be Royal Highnesses then.

It was codified in the Constitution as well. From the 1826 constitution:

78. O Herdeiro presuntivo do Reino terá o Título de – Príncipe Real – e o seu Primogénito o de – Príncipe da Beira. Todos os mais terão o de – Infantes. O Tratamento de Herdeiro presuntivo será o de – Alteza Real – e o mesmo será o do Príncipe da Beira; os Infantes terão o tratamento de – Alteza.

(78. The presumptive heir to the kingdom will take the title of Royal Prince, and their firstborn that of Prince of Beira. All the others will take that of Infantes. The form of address of the presumptive heir will be Royal Highness, and it will be the same for the Prince of Beira; the Infantes will take the form of address Highness.)

Today in the Portuguese tv TVI, they are showing the ice cream and the cake and other stuffs. Here you can see the ice cream segreti on the photo. All the Tvi programm Em Familia, is today's afternoon programm.

Attachments

• 20230930_160438.jpg
    20230930_160438.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 34
The bride and groom's monogram:
22546924_K3osE.jpeg

Where was the monogram published? Was it approved by the family or merely created by supporters without their involvement?

Has there been any announcement in relation to the groom's title, if any, after the wedding?

On the one hand, the Iberian countries have mostly preserved the tradition of spouses sharing each other's titles regardless of gender. On the other hand, the current Braganças descend from a German branch of the family who adapted their pretended titles (in reality, they were stripped of their Portuguese titles by the government of Queen Maria II) to German custom. Given the circumstances, I could see the decision going in any direction - untitled, Infante, or Duke but not Infante.

But if the monogram was approved by the family, then the fact that both their initials are under the crown makes me wonder if he will become Infante. Other couples where the husband did not take on his wife's royal title (Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill, Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank) either placed the crown over the wife's initial only or simply omitted it.

I also noticed the reference to "the Dukes of Coimbra" in the posted quoted below - was that part of a press release issued by the family?

The first copy of the medal of the Royal Wedding of the Dukes of Coimbra with gold plating offered by Medalist Lusatenas was presented at the Santa Cruz monastery in Coimbra to D. Duarte, Duke of Bragança and the members of the Heraldic Council of the Oureana Foundation, the department responsible for design and editing.

https://monarquiaportuguesa.blogs.sapo.pt/1152768.html

Where was the monogram published? Was it approved by the family or merely created by supporters without their involvement?

Has there been any announcement in relation to the groom's title, if any, after the wedding?

On the one hand, the Iberian countries have mostly preserved the tradition of spouses sharing each other's titles regardless of gender. On the other hand, the current Braganças descend from a German branch of the family who adapted their pretended titles (in reality, they were stripped of their Portuguese titles by the government of Queen Maria II) to German custom. Given the circumstances, I could see the decision going in any direction - untitled, Infante, or Duke but not Infante.

But if the monogram was approved by the family, then the fact that both their initials are under the crown makes me wonder if he will become Infante. Other couples where the husband did not take on his wife's royal title (Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill, Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank) either placed the crown over the wife's initial only or simply omitted it.

I also noticed the reference to "the Dukes of Coimbra" in the posted quoted below - was that part of a press release issued by the family?

The monogram was released by the royal house.
As for the groom's title, it appears that he will be Duke of Coimbra.

Goucha, the portuguese programm of TVI has interviewed the infanta today. Here you have photos.

Attachments

• 20231004_171028.jpg
    20231004_171028.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20231004_171022.jpg
    20231004_171022.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 31
Back
Top Bottom