Archduchess Sofia of Habsburg & Prince Mariano Hugo zu Windisch-Graetz 1990

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have seen only one picture of Archduchess Elisabeth, and I guess you are referring to this picture;
I don't know what happened and in which circoumstances the wedding happened, but I have an idea coming from an impression that I've had watching the image I've posted before.
My impression is that Elisabeth was sitting on a wheelchair, although no wheelchairs are clearly visible in the photo.
That makes me think that she was already ill, and that her family already knew her illness.
But, as I have previously said, this is only a speculation of mine based on an impression of mine.
Btw, Elisabeth was really a beautiful woman...it's a pity she has died so young and in a so tragic way...

MAFan,

Thanks for your response. That was the picture I was thinking of but I didn't realize she might have been in a wheelchair.

What a tragedy, I think she died (if I figured correctly) at 26!

She was a beautiful girl who looked great on her wedding day, I don't think she looks sick at all.

Tenngirl

I mean: she was surely sat, this is easily understandable; but the back of her wedding gown is somehow "higher", over her own shoulders, and this doesn't happen if one is "normally" sat; moreover, in the lower left corner there is something grey, like the sleeve of the dress of someone carrying the wheelchair: the height of the supposed hand of the carrier correspond with the height of the "handles" of a wheelchair...
I repeat: this is only an impression of mine, nothing sure.

The link below contains a lovely report in NetR about the family history of the Russian fringe tiara worn by Archduchess Sophie of Habsburg on the day of her marriage. (Thank you, Régine).

The tiara descended in the female line from:

1. Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna of Russia, wife of Prince Nicholas of Greece, to
2. her daughter Princess Elisabeth of Greece, who wore it when she married Count Karl Theodor of Toerring-Jettenbach (of the mediatized family), who in turn gave it to
3. her daughter Hélène (Sophie's mother), who wore it on her wedding to Sophie's father, Archduke Ferdinand of Austria.
4. Finally, Sophie wore it on the day she married Prince Mariano-Hugo of Windisch-Graetz.

Here are photos of each succeeding generation of brides:

Un diadème transmis de génération en génération | Noblesse & Royautés

Perhaps Sophie and Mariano-Hugo's daughter, Larissa, will wear it when she marries!

Back
Top Bottom