The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 12:51 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Duke of Cambridge current events 1: 29 April 2011 - 31 December 2013

Arms of HRH The Duke of Cambridge

Welcome to the Duke of Cambridge current events thread 1

commencing 29 April 2011

Prince William of Wales current events part 24, covering the period January 2011 to 29 April 2011 can be found here.

Topics related to the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge can be found in the royal wedding subforum.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Courtier

Falklands Crisis for New Wife Kate

Prince William’s 10-week stint in Falklands while new wife Kate waits at home | The Sun |News|Royal Wedding

Old 05-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Heir Apparent

VERY informative article from the Telegraph about the 10 week stint
Royal wedding: couple face separation as Prince William deploys to Falklands - Telegraph
Old 05-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative The Netherlands

Royal Wedding: Days after millions watched his wedding, Prince William returns to base | Mail Online
Old 05-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
VERY informative article from the Telegraph about the 10 week stint
Royal wedding: couple face separation as Prince William deploys to Falklands - Telegraph
Yes I remember they talked about this a while ago. It sounds as though they may still considering sending him there.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:42 PM

This may sound silly, but I'm still adjusting to William being a Duke and Catherine a Duchess. I guess after so many years of them being Prince William and Kate Middleton, I'm still not used to it.

When I read Duke of Cambridge, I think, who? And I confuse the Duchess of Cambridge with the Duchess of Cornwall.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonjapearl View Post
This may sound silly, but I'm still adjusting to William being a Duke and Catherine a Duchess. I guess after so many years of them being Prince William and Kate Middleton, I'm still not used to it.

When I read Duke of Cambridge, I think, who? And I confuse the Duchess of Cambridge with the Duchess of Cornwall.
Me too! I wish he would have just stayed Prince William and she was styled Princess Catherine. But no point going down that road again since we have discussed that issue to death.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonjapearl

I'm not used to it either. It takes a second for me to remember who that is. All my life he's been Prince William. By the time I get used to calling him a duke he'll have ascended the throne:)
Old 05-05-2011, 01:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Me too I'm always like "Wills and Kate" then I'm like oh no I mean "the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge" It just sound weird to me!
Old 05-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Me too I'm always like "Wills and Kate" then I'm like oh no I mean "the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge" It just sound weird to me!
I agree I had assumed we would all be referring to her as Princess Kate, yet everyone seems to be calling them William and Kate Middleton!
Old 05-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Courtier

Things like these just take time getting used to and a bit of goodwill from some people - not saying those people are on these forums.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Things like these just take time getting used to and a bit of goodwill from some people - not saying those people are on these forums.
I agree they are not even married a week, Once they start peroforming public engagement's and the press becomes more used to their title, They will be known as Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Aristocracy

Prince William was involved in a rescue mission today.

Prince William involved in large scale rescue mission | Royal Insight
Old 05-06-2011, 03:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Two rescues for newlywed William - National - The Star
Old 05-06-2011, 04:52 AM
Heir Apparent

I cannot understand very well why prince William has this "job"...he is a Prince so he should keep with his duties, but why he is in the RAF Valley Royal Air Force? Lets be realistic if there was a war do you really think Prince William will be in the rescue team and go in the battle field?I don't think so...
Old 05-06-2011, 05:46 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas View Post
I cannot understand very well why prince William has this "job"...he is a Prince so he should keep with his duties, but why he is in the RAF Valley Royal Air Force? Lets be realistic if there was a war do you really think Prince William will be in the rescue team and go in the battle field?I don't think so...

Tradition says that British royal princes serve in the military.

William initially wanted to serve in the army but he was told there was no way he could go to Afghanistan with a ground unit so her transferred to the RAF as there was a greater chance to either see active combat or at least to serve his country in a real way.

The SAR unit with whom he works doesn't only work in war zones but spends a lot of the time rescuing civilian personnel who are injured or otherwise caught in situations that they can't extricate themselves from without help.

He is doing a very real job and serving his country at the same time. He might actually get to go to the Falklands and serve there, which would be seen as provacative by the Argentinians.

Just because he can't see service in a war zone doesn't mean that the service he is doing isn't worthwhile.

At the moment his duties are his military ones. He isn't needed on full-time royal duties as there are 14 or so members of the BRF who do that sort of thing. Over the coming years he will step up his royal duties and in two or so years will be leaving the RAF and working for the Royal Family full time but in the meantime his service is in the military.

Charles served in the navy for 5 years and he was the direct heir. William is able to take longer doing what he really wants to do because he is only 2nd in line at the moment.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Heir Apparent

BBC News - Prince William's third RAF rescue a week after wedding
Old 06-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Solo Prince William Horses Around—So Where's Kate Middleton?

Read more: Solo Prince William Horses Around—So Where's Kate Middleton? - E! Online

and here is another article about the event with tons of pictures.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Royal Highness

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...tays-home.html

William plays in Charity Polo Match