The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-09-2004, 04:28 AM
Commoner

Earl Spencer, Family, Althorp Museum & Travelling Exhibition

Diana shrine to close as interest wanes
By Chris Millar, Evening Standard
9 July 2004
The Princess Diana museum at her childhood home of Althorp is to close because of falling ticket sales.

Her brother Earl Spencer has decided to shut the exhibition featuring some of her clothes, school reports and letters.

The museum in the grounds of the Spencers' Northamptonshire estate was set up after the Princess's death in 1997 and drew 150,000 visitors paying 10.50 each in its first year and 140,000 in 2000. Last year 80,000 tickets were sold.

Earl Spencer's decision is said to have been finalised when he visited the Diana memorial fountain, which was opened this week in Hyde Park, after concluding that it would replace the museum as a focus for his sister's life. One source said Earl Spencer "has not taken the decision lightly". The source added: "But he realises things have moved on. There is not the level of interest there once was. It was never meant to be permanent." A final closure date has not yet been set.

Princes Harry and William have agreed with the decision and will receive the bulk of the items.

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>AUSTRALIA&#33;</span>
Old 07-09-2004, 06:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

too bad, I wanted to go there :(

Old 07-11-2004, 05:12 PM
Courtier

It will not close, it is reported.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
It will not close, it is reported.
No? They changed their mind already??
Old 07-12-2004, 04:56 AM
Serene Highness

Earl Spencer could stand on a stack of bibles and I still wouldn&#39;t believe what he said&#33;&#33;&#33;
Old 07-12-2004, 05:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by wymanda@Jul 12th, 2004 - 9:56 am
Earl Spencer could stand on a stack of bibles and I still wouldn&#39;t believe what he said&#33;&#33;&#33;
You have to believe him this time.

It is stated on the official website of Althorp that it will remain OPEN

YES &#33;&#33;&#33;
Old 07-16-2004, 03:02 PM
Nobility

Maybe the Earl is saying this (making this threat) to drum up attendance for this year.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Diana's brother interview with Larry King

REMIND!

Princess Diana's brother will interview with Larry King FINALLY!!!!!!!!! i found out on the computer please you would tune-up on the television to watch Diana's brother with Larry King on October 15th talking about Diana's life same and new after Diana's death.

please infomation on http://www.cnn.com - click to Larry King about Princess Diana's brother Charles Spencer dont forget!

I will watch on television on Princess Diana's brother

Sara Boyce
Old 10-16-2004, 05:38 PM
Aristocracy

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...15/lkl.01.html

transcript of the interview between Larry King and Charles Earl Spencer
Quote:
LARRY KING, HOST: Tonight exclusive. Princess Diana as only her own brother could know her. Charles Spencer, her only brother in his only national interview shares unique and intimate memories of the woman behind the legend, the little girl he grew up who became the lady the world mourned, his sister the late Princess Diana.

Charles Spencer for the hour, exclusive and next on LARRY KING LIVE.

Alexander Smith

Old 10-16-2004, 10:30 PM
Serene Highness

Earl Spencer's Interview

I didn't think it was all that interesting. Of course, I tuned in to watch but I also have a less than glowing reaction to anything Earl Spencer does given how often he let his sister down during her lifetime. The family footage shot by his father of a very young Diana was captivating. But his comments were not very revealing......same old, same old "rifts with Royal Family overplayed," "am here for my nephews but they don't find it all that much fun to be with a 40 year old uncle,"......Nothing earthshattering. It's nice the Diana exhibit is on the road (now in Florida). It would be interesting to find out how much of the proceeds go to Althrop and Earl Spencer and how much to her Fund. I did find one thing interesting--he said certain grand English homes like his with important art and such are required to be open 3 months a year anyway--and so he incorporated the Diana Museum to further increase interest and profits during those months. And I will also say the portions of the traveling exhibit looked very interesting--if it would come to the Midwest one day, I would make every effort to see it. Any other thoughts on the interview?
Old 05-21-2005, 11:06 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn
"am here for my nephews but they don't find it all that much fun to be with a 40 year old uncle
They DO, however find it fun to be with an 80+ grandfather.
Prince William in a November 2004 interview: "I'm very close to my grandfather. He makes me laugh. He's very funny."
Old 08-26-2005, 02:42 AM
Nobility

Unhappy He let her down.

I can only add that when ,soon after her divorce, Di asked Charles, the brother to whom she has been a kind of mum, to spend some time at Althorp, her own family home, she wanted to rest, she was a wreck, she needed a brother 's affection and understanding, and a place where to hide, he flatly refused, OMG, how can he talk about di as he does now, when she for once in her life, did need his support and he let her down. what a hypocrite.....he even sent his 1st wife to a mental hospital as she was depressed, I heard he even abused her, don't know in what way.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:39 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I think, to be fair, he was concerned about security at Althorp. In addition to Diana and her children, he had to be concerned about his own family and Althorp. I'm not sure what it would have entailed to keep Diana safe from physical threats, but it might have been quite difficult to keep reporters away -- and his own children would have been the focus of those photographers too.

(On the negative side we also know that his marriage wasn't going well, he was cheating, and his wife had an eating disorder and substance abuse problems -- he might not have wanted media attention on that part of his life.)
Old 09-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Diana's brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn
The family footage shot by his father of a very young Diana was captivating. But his comments were not very revealing......same old, same old "rifts with Royal Family overplayed," "am here for my nephews but they don't find it all that much fun to be with a 40 year old uncle,"......Nothing earthshattering
If he had new images or insults. everyone would say that he is trying to get attention from her memory. I think his museum is a fitting tribute to his sister, Since Diana was a huge part in his life. I also think that he did treat Diana unkindly in some ways while she was alive, but I also understand that Diana made the decision to marry Prince Charles; her brother did not force her. It was not his fault that Diana had all of her problems. I understand that he may not have wanted to punish his family because of her.

Old 09-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

You're right, how could HE have forced Diana into the marriage? He was only about 17 at the time.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:39 PM
Heir Apparent

i can't seem to find the thread for Earl Spencer & his wife, but since this concern 'althorp', i thought i would post it here...

January 6, 2006
Earl Spencer and his wife present "Althorp Living History"
(from goff photos)

Old 01-13-2006, 10:46 PM
Heir Apparent

several more from goff

Old 01-13-2006, 10:46 PM
Heir Apparent

last ones from goff

The wife of Earl Spencer is currently pregnant...
Old 01-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Courtier

As he's getting older, he's becoming the spitting image of his father.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:24 PM
Heir Apparent

there's more to the description of this event.
Apparently the Earl & Contess of Spencer were presenting an exhibition of copies from the Spencer family's furniture. Some of them belongs to the late Lady Diana. The Exhibition was held at a rural house in Alcobendas, Madrid, Spain
(source : lfi)

Here you can see pictures of the Earl and his pregnant wife (with their 2nd child) leaving Palace Hotel in Madrid on January 12, 2006

Tags
althorp, diana, diana princess of wales, diana's family, diana: a celebration, earl spencer, museum, princess diana