The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Will Charles Ever Reign? part 3 (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f44/will-charles-ever-reign-part-3-a-9668.html)

ysbel 05-14-2006 01:33 PM

Will Charles Ever Reign? part 3

Welcome to the thread, Will Charles Ever Reign? part 3.

The previous thread can be found here.

Remember be polite and respect each other. We are an international community and diverse viewpoints make the discussion richer.

Also remember to not only share your opinions but explain the rationale for them. Don't get thrown off if your opinions are challenged in a respectful way, that is an integral part of exploring the subject to make a more meaningful discussion.

Most of all, have fun! :)

Iluvbertie 05-14-2006 05:39 PM

Personally I think that even in 10 years Charles will be fit enough and determined enough to do a great job as king.

He has two parents who have made it to 80 and a grandmother who made it to over 100.

He has some good long lived genes in his background with a great-grandmother who made it over 80 as well.

The men haven't lived as long but how much of that is due to the stresses associated with the major events of the early part of the 20th century - e.g. the stresses of wars and revolutions.

Charles could very well live as long as his father - giving him at least another 27 years.

William should have the chance to be a husband and father without the added burden of the monarchy.

How much of Charles' problems could be put down to a young mother burdened with the responsibilities of monarchy? Not all I agree but some and do we want to repeat a young family growing up without their parents full attention. How much better has William been raised because he did have his parents around more.

Elspeth 05-14-2006 05:47 PM

Some of the early deaths among the men were also at least partly due to their being heavy smokers, which isn't one of Charles's habits. The relatively peaceful society and his drive for healthy living may well mean that he'll live to a greater age than most of his predecessors.

Iluvbertie 05-14-2006 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspeth
Some of the early deaths among the men were also at least partly due to their being heavy smokers, which isn't one of Charles's habits. The relatively peaceful society and his drive for healthy living may well mean that he'll live to a greater age than most of his predecessors.

So true Elspeth.

MARG 05-15-2006 07:01 AM

Thank God for the rules of sucession. Whatever the current popular view, reallity rules.:p

Provided that Charles does not predecease his mother (God Forbid), He will be the rightful and future King. :cool:

Long live the Queen.:D

PreDoc 05-15-2006 04:53 PM

Charles has 30 more years of experience over William in dealing with the hostile press, the dictatorial establishment, the boring critics, the endless speeches, the soul-crushing staged events and life in a goldfish bowl. Camilla will make a satisfactory Queen Consort and Charles is finally happy.

I can't fathom why anyone would want to handcuff a man in his early twenties to the life of a king (i.e. "never stray from the following job description for the rest of your life: read out loud what we write on this paper, look interested in everybody and everything they have to say, wave and smile on cue, have sons and ensure they have sons, periodically wear theatrical costumes and preside over archaic ceremonies, and never share any point of view that could be interpreted as political").

Let William continue to find himself, get married or play the field, and enjoy the little amount of freedom he currently has.

hornsen 05-15-2006 05:23 PM

Well said, PreDoc. Exactly my opinion...

Incas 05-17-2006 11:26 PM

It's age discrimination. A lot of the William for king press emphasize his youth and good looks. When Charles was in his 20's and even into his 30's, there were a lot of Charles for king stuff as well.

PreDoc 05-17-2006 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incas
A lot of the William for king press emphasize his youth and good looks.

Hmm, those are excellent qualities for bimbos who aim to become a queen, but I wonder why they would want those qualities in the King of England?

Incas 05-17-2006 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PreDoc
Hmm, those are excellent qualities for bimbos who aim to become a queen, but I wonder why they would want those qualities in the King of England?

That's exactly my point. Not that i think looks alone should determine the next queen either.

Royal Fan 05-17-2006 11:52 PM

I Think Charles will make a fine King,I hope that in my lifetime I See a male Monarch in Britian actually. I Agree also it should never be about looks. :)

PreDoc 05-18-2006 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Fan
I Think Charles will make a fine King,I hope that in my lifetime I See a male Monarch in Britian actually. I Agree also it should never be about looks. :)

From what I've read about Charles he is so well-prepared that he'll be able to do the job with his eyes closed. In regards to the sex of a monarch it seems irrelevent since the basic job description only seems to require a human being with low-to-middle intelligence who has the ability to perform pre-determined tasks without causing controversy.

Aussie Princess 05-19-2006 03:18 AM

To anyone who knows more about coronation than me(which would be everyone I'm guessing) what are the religious aspects of the coronation that could be affected by a divorce? is Charles even considered dovorced, officially, or if they don't recognise divorce, is he seen as a widower?
To me it's strange a church that was started for someone to get a divorce has any issue with this:confused:

Margrethe II 05-19-2006 03:41 AM

I think getting older & growing wiser has had a great effect on Charles. He will be a King of compassion and interest. A monarch who I can confidently say shall try to initiate a greater understanding between Chirstianity & Islam, a man who's constant efforts to bring a wider awareness to sustainable living shall be furthermore recognised and respected as well as his contributions to that wornderful & inspiring program, The Prince's Trust.

I think something that Charles may fret over is that he may not be King long enough to have made the difference's he would have wanted to have made, and, I can empathise with that.

He shall have to use the time he is granted by the Big Guy upstairs to the best of his ability and I am sure he shall.

"MII"

Skydragon 05-19-2006 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Princess
To anyone who knows more about coronation than me(which would be everyone I'm guessing) what are the religious aspects of the coronation that could be affected by a divorce? is Charles even considered divorced, officially, or if they don't recognise divorce, is he seen as a widower?
To me it's strange a church that was started for someone to get a divorce has any issue with this:confused:

Yes, it is very strange that there is a problem within the Church about divorce, in view of why it was founded! :D

Charles was a widower the moment his former wife died and therefore free to be married in a church.

shaan 05-19-2006 06:42 AM

Well i think that charles is definitely going to be a good king and if camilla makes him happy then i am glad. Besides i don't think or feel that william is quite ready to become a more responsible royal as yet - he is still too young!

MARG 05-19-2006 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon
Yes, it is very strange that there is a problem within the Church about divorce, in view of why it was founded! :D

Charles was a widower the moment his former wife died and therefore free to be married in a church.

But Camilla was a divorcee. Was hers a Roman Catholic marriage, and if so, does it not count in view of the above?:confused:

Little_star 05-19-2006 08:38 AM

I think when Charles eventually becomes King he'll do a good job. I do imagine him to be quite different to his mother. For example, I think he is already alot more outspoken than the Queen in the sense that he is more prepared and willing to comment on issues. The Queen usually does not. I think she's always made a conscious decision to keep quiet. In that respect I think it will be good because it may make him seem more relevant.
However, I do think his outspoken nature could work against him. While I personally agree with some of the comments he has made on issues in the past, I think the minute he says something deemed unpopular the tide will turn against him. He will face quite a difficuly job balancing the two aspects.

MARG 05-19-2006 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PreDoc
In regards to the sex of a monarch it seems irrelevent since the basic job description only seems to require a human being with low-to-middle intelligence who has the ability to perform pre-determined tasks without causing controversy.

Wow. I expect a lot more than that from my future King. The Queen is intimately involved with representing her country on the diplomatic front, and in this arena alone she has proved herself a confident, knowledgeable, indespensible asset! Threading her way through the political changes in Britain alone with aplomb, not to mention the wide range of political and religeous Heads of State and Ambassadors. She is more able to conduct herself in this area than any elected official and leads her country with intelligence, wisdom and not a little wit.

The Diplomatic ramifications of the seating plan at a Banquet are enough to put noses out of joint. She gets it consistantly right. Her son has been well trained in the fine art of diplomacy.

As POW, he has used his limited influence to advance a lot of worthy causes and try to put it a plug for the average man. As King he will be denied the pleasure of speaking his mind, except, perhaps, in a christmas message. Until then he knows he has to make hay while the sun shines.

He could have been a polo-playing yahoo henry. He chose to put himself on the line. Lets face it. Organic everything is the current thing! He took the knocks and laughed about talking to cabbages. He is certainly having the last laugh. :D :D

AgnesK 05-19-2006 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARG
Organic everything is the current thing! He took the knocks and laughed about talking to cabbages. He is certainly having the last laugh. :D :D

His critics should eat their words :D