The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Life and Lifestyle (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/)
-   -   Who Said Chivalry Was Dead? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/who-said-chivalry-was-dead-9361.html)

Queen Zenobia 04-07-2006 12:53 AM

Who Said Chivalry Was Dead?
 
I thought it would be nice to share stories and pictures of royal men displaying chvalry. For those that do not know what it means the simple meaning of it is; being a gentleman. I'll start us off with these pictues.

Sources:
From pointdevue.fr
gettyimages




http://s2.supload.com/thumbs/default/enamoured.jpg
Preview
http://s2.supload.com/thumbs/default/wire.jpg

http://s2.supload.com/thumbs/default/chivlary.jpg

crisiñaki 04-07-2006 12:58 AM

King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia:
http://s2.supload.com/thumbs/default...pass first.jpg
Source: Rex Features

Margrethe II 04-07-2006 01:33 AM

HM the King Juan Carlos is such a ladies man, and I mean no disrespect by that..he remids me of a Rhett Butler type fellow.

He is forever kissing ladies hands..such chivalry indeed!

"MII"

crisiñaki 04-07-2006 09:57 AM

;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Margrethe II
HM the King Juan Carlos is such a ladies man, and I mean no disrespect by that..he remids me of a Rhett Butler type fellow.

He is forever kissing ladies hands..such chivalry indeed!

"MII"

both him and Queen Sofia are very "touchable" people, they like to kiss, hug and touch people;)

Emi 04-07-2006 11:41 AM

In several Southern European countries isn't it a common custom for men to kiss a woman's hand? (like a handshake). I've seen Jacques Chirac do so often on foreign visits, as well as male guests kissing Queen Sofia and CP Letizia's hands at official gatherings when they greet guests.

I remember one of my friends, who spent a year on exchange in France, said that it was quite common to kiss someone on the cheek as a form of greeting and goodbye.

sesa 04-07-2006 12:37 PM

It may be quite common, but it's not necissarily done. It's very "old school" for men. It's called "manners" when one is growing up, and "chivarly" when men get older. For example: holding open a door or opening a door for a women, assisting her while she is getting out or in, letting her go first, kissing her hand in greeting or farewell, ect. All this is "old school" mannerisms.
Now a days, women are so independent, they do not let men assist them, and men have let mannerisms go by the wayside. And as women, we tend to teach our daughters to be independent. "Open your own door, don't wait for a man to do it or you'll be standing there forever".
I'm glad to see that some people still have this "chivarly". I would love to see more people with it now a days.

hornsen 04-08-2006 03:11 PM

Here are two of Charles helping Camilla...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...sen/liboat.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...en/isscil7.jpg

from Getty Images and Hello magazine

Margrethe II 04-08-2006 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crisiñaki
;)

both him and Queen Sofia are very "touchable" people, they like to kiss, hug and touch people;)

I know, & I find that really endearing :)

"MII"

Josefine 04-29-2006 08:48 AM

carl philip had to help his sister madeleine when the wind made her skirt do a marylin monroe

crisiñaki 05-01-2006 02:32 AM

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...6&d=1146405765
Source: getty images

King Carl Gustav of Sweden helping his wife Queen Silvia to get down from a carriage in his 60th birthday celebrations

crisiñaki 05-19-2006 12:34 AM

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/295/vv4to.th.png
source: TVE (caption), originally posted by agm for TRF

This is Xavi, one of the Barça players who kissed Queen Sofia's hand at the final of the UEFA Champions League of this year;)

PreDoc 05-19-2006 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sesa
It may be quite common, but it's not necissarily done. It's very "old school" for men. It's called "manners" when one is growing up, and "chivarly" when men get older. For example: holding open a door or opening a door for a women, assisting her while she is getting out or in, letting her go first, kissing her hand in greeting or farewell, ect. All this is "old school" mannerisms.
Now a days, women are so independent, they do not let men assist them, and men have let mannerisms go by the wayside. And as women, we tend to teach our daughters to be independent. "Open your own door, don't wait for a man to do it or you'll be standing there forever".
I'm glad to see that some people still have this "chivarly". I would love to see more people with it now a days.

Thank you for sharing your opinion. For me personally I don't expect anything from a man but when one goes out of his way for me (excluding my husband of course) I have a momentary feeling of awkwardness but then get a rush of gratitude because such actions are so rare nowadays. I'm not even sure if chivalrous is the right word because there are times I will go out of my way to hold a door open for a person with children or packages. Nonetheless I love the photos and am always amazed when a highborn person goes out of her or his way for a commoner :)

Esmerelda 09-27-2010 01:14 PM

Hand kissing seems to be a 'trademark' of King Juan Carlos. It's very charming :)

King Juan Carlos pays tribute to fallen soldiers | The Trinidad Guardian
Photo from Getty Images
Empress Michiko Pictures - King Juan Carlos And Queen Sofia Of Spain Visit Japan - Day2 - Zimbio

SLV 09-28-2010 04:44 AM

The Greek King Constantine does so too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLV (Post 1070051)


Esmerelda 09-28-2010 12:16 PM

Great photo. Was that from the Swedish Royal Wedding?

Esmerelda 09-29-2010 03:24 PM

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...tml#post237389


Esmerelda 01-28-2011 01:46 PM

http://img151.imagevenue.com/img.php...7_p4499397.jpg
King Albert giving his coat to Queen Beatrix.

IloveCP 08-14-2011 02:20 PM

Prince Charles and Letizia:

http://www.hellomagazine.com/imagene...spain-1--z.jpg

http://leblas.files.wordpress.com/20...ss-letizia.jpg

Daria_S 08-14-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IloveCP (Post 1302665)

Letizia looks positively smitten in the second picture. Thank you for sharing.

William holding an umbrella for Catherine as they're walking from the church service to mark Prince Philip's 90th birthday.

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/201...liam-5-300.jpg

olebabs 08-14-2011 03:09 PM

Gotta love a gentleman :-)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises