The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Forum Announcements and Admin (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Petty Annoyance (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f19/petty-annoyance-8934.html)

alexisrjt 02-23-2006 03:53 PM

Petty Annoyance

Okay, I was informed of the following:
Quote:

Hello alexisrjt it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation [link omitted] with another member in any one of our forums?
so I'm doing as I was told.

I understand this "sponsored" linking is probably a way to draw money to the site owners, but it's really quite irritating. Does there exist in the User CP an option to turn off the "sponsored results"?

(There. Now I've followed instructions and posted a question. I almost feel better. ;) Thanks.)

Elspeth 02-23-2006 05:58 PM

Well, I'm glad you feel better.:p

As far as I know, there's nothing in the User CP that would allow you to turn off the prompting to post. The moderation team will have a word with the site owner about it and see if anything can be done since it obviously isn't quite having the desired effect!

alexisrjt 02-24-2006 02:37 AM

Thanks, Elspeth. I appreciate the response. :D

Sammy 02-24-2006 12:41 PM

I got that message too!
I posted because I felt that if I didn't, I would be "deactivated".
No other forum does that, it certainly doesn't have the most "welcoming" feel to it.

Elspeth 02-24-2006 12:55 PM

Hi Sammy,

Well, from your post count, it seems as though you're also posting because you want to, which is nice.

I've asked Andy to look into possibly removing this message. I don't know how deeply embedded in the forum software it is, but the feedback has been sent, so stay tuned.

justi 02-25-2006 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sammy
I got that message too!
I posted because I felt that if I didn't, I would be "deactivated".
No other forum does that, it certainly doesn't have the most "welcoming" feel to it.

The Royal Forums is not the only one with this message, I know from first hand experience 'Bored of Studies' does also, I would recommend ignoring:D , either that or posting a useless massage;)

Warren 02-25-2006 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justi
The Royal Forums is not the only one with this message... I would recommend ignoring, either that or posting a useless message ;)

Not a useless message! Make it an interesting one. The software doesn't know the difference, but the members do! :)

justi 02-26-2006 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren
Not a useless message! Make it an interesting one. The software doesn't know the difference, but the members do! :)

Sometimes some of the most interesting messages are the useless ones though. Actually on second thoughts perhaps it is the useless ones are the most entertaining :confused: :)

Dennism 02-26-2006 03:10 AM

I would like to add a petty annoyance. Even though I ask the site to remember me, sometimes if I'm writing a long post or PM, it asks me to login again. Now I may lose the post or the PM. I wish it would stop doing this.

Elspeth 02-26-2006 12:30 PM

Dennis, is this something new? Once you ask it to remember you, it shouldn't matter what you're doing, you should stay logged in until you manually log out.

Dennism 02-26-2006 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspeth
Dennis, is this something new? Once you ask it to remember you, it shouldn't matter what you're doing, you should stay logged in until you manually log out.

No, it's been this way for several months now.

Elspeth 02-26-2006 09:33 PM

Is anyone else having this problem?

Dennis, does it also do this to you if you spend a long time reading a page, or is it just when you're writing PMs?

Dennism 02-26-2006 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspeth
Is anyone else having this problem?

Dennis, does it also do this to you if you spend a long time reading a page, or is it just when you're writing PMs?

Well, generally, it's when I'm writing PMs.

elizahawthorne 02-27-2006 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexisrjt
Okay, I was informed of the following: so I'm doing as I was told.

I understand this "sponsored" linking is probably a way to draw money to the site owners, but it's really quite irritating. Does there exist in the User CP an option to turn off the "sponsored results"?

(There. Now I've followed instructions and posted a question. I almost feel better. ;) Thanks.)

umm i get this message tooo....but i find it a bit irritating....cuz I feel like the forums want to kick me out or soemthing :confused:

nbaker 02-27-2006 10:05 AM

well will they kick you out?

Warren 02-27-2006 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nbaker
well will they kick you out?

NO. It is a software message we are trying to have removed.
It is designed to encourage members to actively participate in the Forums, but like many computer flash messages, it can be irritating.

Andy R 03-12-2006 03:54 PM

The ads are used to cover the cost to host the community. As there are very few products centered around royals, the Google ads make very little revenue. The intelliTXT ads are to suppliment that so that we stay online.

You can click on the little question mark in the intelliTXT ads and then look towards the bottom of the page to disable them.

Ms Griffin 04-24-2006 06:56 PM

Quote:

[...] you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, [...]
Talk about learning something new each day. I didn't know that 12 days = several weeks. :rolleyes: :cool: ;)

But something different and since it IS an annoyance I'd say it fits here. How come I can't paste here a n y t h i n g?? I can copy some text or some URL, but whenever I want to put that into a post it's just not possible. And TRF are the only MB where I have this problem. :confused:

Elspeth 04-24-2006 07:12 PM

You should be able to paste things into the reply box. I can't copy anything in the reply box (which is a nuisance), but I can paste stuff from elsewhere into it.

RhapsodyBrat 04-25-2006 12:03 AM

i've a little annoyance today, which i think is server-related. The Cannot find server and Database Error message keeps popping up for me. it happens when i open a thread and after i tried to first post here. i have to click on Refresh a couple of times before the page shows up properly (and got logged out in the process). does anybody else have the same problem? :(

i hope the moderators/administrators can correct this problem. thanks! ;) :D