The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f118/)
-   -   Queen Elizabeth's 80th Birthday Celebrations 2006 (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f118/queen-elizabeths-80th-birthday-celebrations-2006-a-8533.html)

purple_platinum 01-18-2006 03:03 AM

Queen Elizabeth's 80th Birthday Celebrations 2006

Since the Queen will celebrate her 80th birthday this year, 2006, with several celebration events, i think this require a special thread to post all the news & pictures...

purple_platinum 01-18-2006 03:04 AM

Buckingham Palace press releases

THE QUEEN'S 80TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS 2006

26 October 2005

THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT IS ISSUED BY THE PRESS SECRETARY TO THE QUEEN

Buckingham Palace is planning a number of events to celebrate The Queen's 80th birthday in 2006, both around Her Majesty's actual birthday on 21 April and her official birthday on 17 June.

Events are being planned to take place at both Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle and will combine private family celebrations with more public occasions.

The Queen will spend her actual birthday, 21 April, at Windsor Castle as usual, and the official birthday will be marked by the annual Trooping the Colour on 17 June. Other events planned around these two dates will include:

80th birthday reception and lunch - London
On 19 April 2006, The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will host a reception and lunch at Buckingham Palace for some of those people who will also be celebrating their 80th birthday on 21 April 2006.

Birthday dinner
The Prince of Wales will host a family dinner for The Queen on the evening of 21 April 2006.

Family Service of Thanksgiving - Windsor
On Sunday, 23 April 2006, Members of The Royal Family will attend a special Service of Thanksgiving at St George's Chapel, Windsor, to celebrate The Queen's 80th birthday.

National Service of Thanksgiving - London
On 15 June 2006, The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will attend a National Service of Thanksgiving at St Paul's Cathedral followed by a Lunch given by the Lord Mayor and the Corporation of London.

Children's Garden Party - London
On 25 June 2006, The Queen will host a "birthday" Garden Party at Buckingham Palace for children from all over the UK.

Special travelling exhibition of works by Leonardo da Vinci
Ten of the Royal Collection's finest drawings by Leonardo da Vinci will travel to museums and galleries in Exeter, Aberdeen, Leeds and Cardiff in 2006 to mark The Queen's 80th birthday.

(source : royal.gov.uk )

mandyy 01-18-2006 04:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Stamps to mark Queen's 80th birthday
A set of stamps celebrating the Queen's life is to be issued to mark her 80th birthday.
The Isle of Man Post has produced a collection which includes photographs of the monarch as a child, on her Golden Jubilee tour and with grandson Prince William.
The first of four 20p stamps in the set of eight shows the young Princess Elizabeth pictured with her baby sister Princess Margaret alongside their father and mother, then the Duke and Duchess of York, in January 1931.

The other 20p stamps use photographs of her in her Auxiliary Territorial Service uniform at the wheel of a truck during the Second World War, in a tiara around the time of her accession in 1952, and with the Duke of Edinburgh and their four children in 1972.
The relaxed family portrait was taken by the Queen`s first cousin once removed, Lord Lichfield, who died in November..................

http://u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=68859&pt=n

Photos from ANP
A selection of the postage stamps issued by the Isle of Man in the United Kingdom to mark the 80th birthday anniversary of Britain's Queen Elizabeth II on April 21st this year. The Isle of Man, situated in the Irish Sea between England and Ireland, has its own postal service separate from the Royal Mail. The stamps highlight memorable moments from the monarch's life.

Mahoogie 01-18-2006 04:55 AM

Just been wondering why the Queen has two birthdays,..can u tell me why?..and why is June 17 became her official birthday?...any significance of June 17 to her?

ulik 01-18-2006 05:57 AM

i would loveeee to have two b'dyas.....more is merrier :p

Warren 01-18-2006 06:23 AM

I notice the Isle of Man's stamp issue bears the 'motto' "Eighty Years of Duty and Service". Anyone have any idea if the official 80th celebrations will have such a theme?

Incas 01-18-2006 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren
I notice the Isle of Man's stamp issue bears the 'motto' "Eighty Years of Duty and Service".

I hear the slurping noises from here. Whoever came up with this claim counted the baby and toddler years as duty and service. :rolleyes:

corazon 01-18-2006 09:56 AM

I have a quetion, why in the stamps it has a photo of the ''old'' family and not a photo with the ''new'' family. for example, the queen with her sons and grandchildren

HMQueenElizabethII 01-18-2006 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahoogie
Just been wondering why the Queen has two birthdays,..can u tell me why?..and why is June 17 became her official birthday?...any significance of June 17 to her?

As far as i know like the previous Monarchs, The Queen also has two birthdays, one is her actual birthday, and the other one is the Sovereign's Birthday which often helds on a certain second Saturday in June when the weather is good.
Thanks for this thread, purple_platinum, i'm sure how wonderful it will be with lots and lots of pics of Her Most Gracious Majesty Queen Elizabeth II with her coming 80th birthday wish all the best wishes for her and her family.:)

ElisaR 01-18-2006 12:34 PM

Nice stamps. :)

GrandDuchess 01-18-2006 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandyy
The Isle of Man, situated in the Irish Sea between England and Ireland, has its own postal service separate from the Royal Mail. The stamps highlight memorable moments from the monarch's life.

Interesting, I didn't know this. Also today I learned something new! :)

Does anyone know anything about foreign guests yet? I know that it's too early to know much, but I was just wondering if it's known to which events foreign royals and dignitaries will come (or if at all)?

Skydragon 01-18-2006 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahoogie

This link answers your question I think:D It all started with Edward VII, she seems to have different official birthdays in different countries.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/...000/367004.stm

sara1981 01-18-2006 02:18 PM

what about non-royals attend for HM Queen's 80th birthday include Norway,Belgium,Dutch,Denmark,etc if have lists for her 80th birthday?

but its nice stamps,mandy if you have more different stamps of her childhood till adult

i cant wait see HM Queen's birthday im really happy about it god bless HM Queen

HMQueenElizabethII 01-20-2006 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sara1981
what about non-royals attend for HM Queen's 80th birthday include Norway,Belgium,Dutch,Denmark,etc if have lists for her 80th birthday?

but its nice stamps,mandy if you have more different stamps of her childhood till adult

i cant wait see HM Queen's birthday im really happy about it god bless HM Queen

Not any more information has been released yet,sara,but we hope that maybe at the National Thanksgiving Service for Her Majesty's birthday on 15th June, there will be some European Royals like at the Queen Mother's 100th birthday National thanksgiving Service in 2000, we saw King Constantine and Queen AM, The King and Queen of Belgium together with Grand Duke Jean and Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte.

sara1981 01-29-2006 03:39 PM

I found out on Majesty magazine stores about HM Queen's 80th birthday books its so amazing of her life they're talking about her childhood till she become Queen,mother,grandmother.

http://shop.majestymagazine.com/imag...91abeba7ba.jpg

books is cost by $19.99 in USA if you in England residence would buy in UK price you can paid for that books and also in Canada residence you can buy that books also!

Royal Fan 01-29-2006 08:43 PM

I Cant wait I Want that book lol :) Long Live the Queen !!!!!!!

Canadiana 01-29-2006 10:12 PM

Canada has issued a stamp for the Queen's 80th Birthday it came out couple weeks ago. http://14.photobucket.com/albums/y15...queen_main.jpg

HMQueenElizabethII 01-29-2006 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sara1981
I found out on Majesty magazine stores about HM Queen's 80th birthday books

Thanks for information about the upcoming book from Majesty Magazine, sara.I'm sure it'd be really wonderful and must-read book.Hopefully there will be some more Videos and DVD about Her Majesty will be realeased this year as well.

Aussie Princess 01-30-2006 06:04 AM

I love that there is a garden party for children, that sounds really cute. will a lot of members from other royal families be travelling to London for these dinners? 80 is a big deal, so I hope it's a huge, international family celebration!:)

Zonk 01-30-2006 08:30 AM

What a great stamp! I need to check out the list of events...it might be time for a trip to Great Britian!