The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f118/)
-   -   The Wit and Humour of Prince Philip (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f118/the-wit-and-humour-of-prince-philip-8482.html)

selrahc4 01-12-2006 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspeth
Well, Charles's comments about the Chinese leaders seem to fit right in with his father's tell-it-like-it-is attitude!

And neither comment was intended for the wider public.

Smilla 01-12-2006 03:07 PM

What would happen if Mary or MAxima or Mette-Marit would make comments like that and then shrug it off, saying that they married their husbands for love and not to be representatives of their country. This would lead to a major public outcry, and rightly so.

selrahc4 01-12-2006 03:09 PM

Did you know he called himself 'an uncultured polo-playing clot' or that he once told the Queen to 'cheer up sweetie, give them a smile'?

Smilla 01-12-2006 03:10 PM

That's wonderful! The queen must be glad to have somebody who calls her "sweetie". She must be lonely enough as it is.

Will's princess 01-12-2006 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selrahc4
he once told the Queen to 'cheer up sweetie, give them a smile'?

Aww that's cute. He once called her "cabbage" too! Do you know where/when he called her sweetie?

Princejohnny25 01-12-2006 03:16 PM

Well some I found rather funny but others were inappropiate. The chinese comment I didnt like but I found the Budapest one rather funny. I thought the Canada comment was rude as well as some others. But a lot were funny if you take it as a light hearted joke. But he should be a bit more carefull.

pollyemma 01-12-2006 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smilla
What would happen if Mary or MAxima or Mette-Marit would make comments like that and then shrug it off, saying that they married their husbands for love and not to be representatives of their country. This would lead to a major public outcry, and rightly so.

yeah...in the netherlands that is why parliament has to approve the bride.

selrahc4 01-12-2006 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will's princess
Aww that's cute. He once called her "cabbage" too! Do you know where/when he called her sweetie?

It was in the book We are Amused by Alan Hamilton, but I don't have it with me right now to check.

pollyemma 01-12-2006 03:19 PM

Quote:

It was in the book We are Amused by Alan Hamilton, but I don't have it with me right now to check.

cabbage...that's so appropriate as a nickname for her. in a strange sort of way.

ElisaR 01-12-2006 03:22 PM

Quote:

he once told the Queen to 'cheer up sweetie, give them a smile'?

That's nice. :)

selrahc4 01-12-2006 03:26 PM

He has supposedly also called her a "silly sausage".

Smilla 01-12-2006 03:28 PM

WIth some of the things he says you simply can't say if it's rude or funny. "You silly sausage" can be a term of endearment as well as quite rude, depending on the way it is said.

pollyemma 01-12-2006 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smilla
WIth some of the things he says you simply can't say if it's rude or funny. "You silly sausage" can be a term of endearment as well as quite rude, depending on the way it is said.

indeed. there are lots of nicknames that are like that. though...i dont know i have a hard time seeing philip say "you silly sausage" in a sweet loving way.:p

selrahc4 01-12-2006 03:36 PM

Getting away from rude and back to witty.

At one time in the 1950's, Prince Philip was visiting a textile plant or something on that order. When the phrase "man-made fibers" came up, he reached up and passed his hand over the top of his thinning hair and said, "I'm not too good at man-made fibers myself."

selrahc4 01-12-2006 03:42 PM

At a reception (in Australia, I believe), a couple was introduced to Prince Philip as "Mr. and DOCTOR Robinson". HRH sort of raised his eyebrows inquiringly, and the husband explained, "My wife is a doctor and much more important than I am". The Prince replied, "Ah. yes. We have that problem in my family too."

Smilla 01-12-2006 03:42 PM

"Where did you get that hat?"
To the queen, in 1953, shortly after her coronation

"You are a woman, aren't you?"
To a native Kenyan woman from whom he'd received a small gift.

pollyemma 01-12-2006 03:43 PM

Quote:

At a reception (in Australia, I believe), a couple was introduced to Prince Philip as "Mr. and DOCTOR Robinson". HRH sort of raised his eyebrows inquiringly, and the husband explained, "My wife is a doctor and much more important than I am". The Prince replied, "Ah. yes. We have that problem in my family too."

oh that is adorable! what a funny and appropriate thing to say.

BeatrixFan 01-12-2006 04:19 PM

Why should Prince Philip be politically correct? Why should any of us? I'm certainly not and bally well proud of it.

norwegianne 01-12-2006 04:28 PM

Quote:

I can't stop smiling at this one.

Princejohnny25 01-12-2006 04:32 PM

That was very funny. I like the silly sausage one. I will have to use it one day. I know people use call othes doughnuts to mean dumb but I never heard of silly suasage.