The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   What is your opinion of Frederik and Mary (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f32/what-is-your-opinion-of-frederik-and-mary-8458.html)

princess olga 01-06-2006 10:08 PM

What is your opinion of Frederik and Mary
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mandyy
Double Victory for Denmark's Darling in our Royal Vote
... The Danish couple doesn't need to dress up to win public favour, though, as the results of two hellomagazine.com polls prove that they, along with their new baby boy, are among Europe's most popular royals.............
http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty...ryandfrederik/

Photo from HELLO magazine

You know what I seriously don't understand about that? How come they are so, so very popular?! Is it because all the star-struck Aussie readers of Hello are voting as if their lives depended on it?

Seriously, when I think about what I know about Frederik as a person, it really is not much.

1. Is he smart? Dunno. The one interview with him I read had only one interesting thing to say, which was that he as a child felt distant from his parents. But that was it. Not someone with an interesting vision, imho.

2. Is he good looking? Mwah. He's ok looking but certainly not better looking than the other princes in the poll, Haakon and Felipe of Spain.

3. Mary.
Is she prettier, smarter, nicer or otherwise more special than, say, Letizia of Spain or Maxima of the Netherlands? What are Mary's redeeming qualities? She's not artistic and eccentric like Margarethe, she's not of the exotic beauty of her ex sister in law. Heck, she doesn't even work as hard (ok, not yet) as Alexandra.

I know liking someone (especially having only the media as a source) is in the eye of the beholder, but come on, what on the planet is just so special about this prettyfied girl-next-door over an obivously smart girl like Letizia, or an obviously gregarious and social girl like Maxima?

Why oh why, is really my question, is Mary so lionized? I'm mystified... I take it I must have some perhaps obvious blind spot when it comes to this, in my view, average-on-all-fronts couple.

The only reason I see for liking her is, weirdly, her father: he seems to be a down to earth kind of guy, a bit no nonsense. Maybe she is like him and is down to earth and that's what people like about her?

regardez 01-06-2006 10:43 PM

i think they just have more publicity than the other royals you mentioned. I knew about Mary before I became interested in royalty, but had never heard of the other ones.

But this is a chicken and egg question. Are they more popular because they have more publicity? Or do they have more publicity because they are more popular? I think people really like the cinderella type stories.

I was drawn to it because of the cross-atlantic relationship and the fact that she had to move to a totally different country and learn a new language for love. And has done a really good job for her new country.

GlitteringTiaras 01-06-2006 10:55 PM

I think the answer is obvious. Those who voted on the online poll as to who is the most popular royal (or whatever the question was) was due to many Danish supporters who voted over and over again and over again. Frankly, it's no big deal to me. I don't dislike the couple nor do I find exciting or amazing. My feeling is pretty much in the middle.

In the States, the Danish couple is pretty much non-exsistant unlike the British royal family.

So to sum up, well there really isn't much to sum up.:) Sorry to say.


Also, I think the reason why some are attracted to the couple is due to the brilliant PR work on both sides (Danmark and Australia). Here we have two semi-good looking people who met at the biggest competition event in the world. They met by chance and began a long distance relationship. The girl gives up everything to follow her heart. Her new country accepts her and soon they are married. Add a dash of fairytale spice and VIOLA! a reporter has a great story. The press did an excellant job of selling the story to it's readers, and let's be honest, most people love a good romance story. There's nothing wrong with it until people become bored with it. Then the knives come out. Let's hope this never happens. Not because some want to see this fairytale happiness end, but because mainly the immediate two will end up hurt.

Let's hope the PR fairytale overdrive will fade and let the Danish couple grow naturally, happy or not. They are after all two people in an extraordinary situation. Let them be. Let them live their lives together as normally they can. That's what I would want to read and wish for the couple. Don't you?

princess olga 01-07-2006 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regardez
i think they just have more publicity than the other royals you mentioned. I knew about Mary before I became interested in royalty, but had never heard of the other ones.

But this is a chicken and egg question. Are they more popular because they have more publicity? Or do they have more publicity because they are more popular? I think people really like the cinderella type stories.

I'm with you but all the same, I was wondering about their winning that poll because it showed they are more popular evidently than even Felipe of Spain, which seemed at least interesting..I mean, after all, no matter what we might think of them, Felipe and Letizia aren't exactly ugly people, and the cinderella story would apply to Letizia as well, non?! Or even to Maxima. That's my confusion..why are Fred n Mary so much more popular? I think you're right and it probably has to do with the exposure and PR in the press. Because again, compared to Felipe and Letizia, and even Alexander and Maxima, the Danish crown-princely couple seems very UNaccomplished, imo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by regardez
I was drawn to it because of the cross-atlantic relationship and the fact that she had to move to a totally different country and learn a new language for love. ..

Fair. but again, that counts for Maxima as well, perhaps even more so..she was from an "emerging market" sort of country, whereas Mary came from a first world economy and went to live in another.

princess olga 01-07-2006 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras
I think the answer is obvious. Those who voted on the online poll as to who is the most popular royal (or whatever the question was) was due to many Danish supporters who voted over and over again and over again. ..

Yes, but let's face it, there are way way less Danish folks than there are Aussies (never mind other Common Wealth folk) who read Hello, I't think?!



Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras
Frankly, it's no big deal to me. I don't dislike the couple nor do I find exciting or amazing. My feeling is pretty much in the middle.

Well, so the PR didn't work on you evidently. ;)
Neither did it on me, as I'm with you on this: I fail to see the wow-factor of this couple. Unlike Felipe of Spain, ambitious and accomplished Letizia, intelligent and --seemingly-- kind Maxima, or even the controversial Mette Marit, what I see when I see Mary and Fred is, sorry, an unremarkable, even mediocre (bar Mary's sometimes arrogant-seeming, chin-up-up-up attitude) couple..
Sorry I don't mean to offend any Danes here. I love the excellent queen Margarethe, I'm a huge fan of Alexandra, and even Joachim seems to have an intelligent head on his shoulders, and he does something interesting with his life: farming!



Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras
So to sum up, well there really isn't much to sum up.:) Sorry to say.


Also, I think the reason why some are attracted to the couple is due to the brilliant PR work on both sides (Danmark and Australia). Here we have two semi-good looking people who met at the biggest competition event in the world. They met by chance and began a long distance relationship. The girl gives up everything to follow her heart. Her new country accepts her and soon they are married. Add a dash of fairytale spice and VIOLA! a reporter has a great story. The press did an excellant job of selling the story to it's readers, and let's be honest, most people love a good romance story.

Sure thing, but when it comes to long distance romances and fairy tales, Maxima and Alexander also qualify. But you're right and evidently, we have PR to thank for the to me remarkable results of this poll..


Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras
Let's hope the PR fairytale overdrive will fade and let the Danish couple grow naturally, happy or not. They are after all two people in an extraordinary situation. Let them be. Let them live their lives together as normally they can. That's what I would want to read and wish for the couple. Don't you?

yes I hope the PR machine will let them be, so we won't have to stare at Mary's chin as much as we do now! ;)

Idriel 01-07-2006 08:21 PM

NOTE: I am responding to messages posted in the previous tread.
Quote:

2. Is he good looking? Mwah. He's ok looking but certainly not better looking than the other princes in the poll, Haakon and Felipe of Spain.
Your opinion. If you go to the Best-looking Royal thread, you'll see that Fred has a big following. Not necessarily me, but definitive assertions as to who is more attractive that the other always strike me as narrow-minded.

Quote:

I mean, after all, no matter what we might think of them, Felipe and Letizia aren't exactly ugly people, and the cinderella story would apply to Letizia as well, non?! Or even to Maxima.
Exactly. Beside, Felipe and Letizia perform a lot of duties, much more than Mary and Fred do, so there is much more photographic material on the formers than the laters. Still, they do not seem to get more media exposure (at least where I live). Same thing for Maxima-Alexander, who, I think, don't work too hard neither but have been around for a longer time.
I do not pretend to explain the phenomenon of the Danes' popularity, but here my feelings:
I was a huge follower of Felipe up to his wedding. I was then totally frozen out by what I perceive being an out of control arrogance and sense of self from Letizia, as well as her perceived physical harshness and IMO, her boring fashion sense. Now, I'm the first to admit they are the hardest working royals in Europe (save for Anne maybe), but I'm sorry, I couldn't care less.
Alexander and Maxima seems nice but not very intelligent to me.
However, the Danes appeal to me because I find them glamorous, I think Mary is (or at least looks) intelligent and poised. There is a sweetness and softness about them that makes me smile, and they both meet my idea of dignity and regalness (is that a word? LOL). And I don't ask much more to royalty.

My point was not to bash other royals, just to show that there may be other reasons to Mary and Fred popularity than over-zealous danish subjects, like some of you seems to think (I'm French BTW).:)

GlitteringTiaras 01-07-2006 08:57 PM

Well, you have an intresting point, but the same argument you just mentioned (M&F) is the same argument those who advocate for F&L.

Look, I think it's fantastic that some members gravitate more towards a specific royal house than to another. However, there is really no need to try and convince others that your argument, feeling, or belief is valid over someone else's point of view. (Woah that was a long and complete mess of a sentence! Oh well, I'm too tired to check my obvious bad grammar as well as sentence structure right now.:) ) But at least we can all agree to disagree, right?

To sum up, the whole Hello! poll thing is really rather silly in my opinion.:)

Jaques Demolay 01-08-2006 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idriel
NOTE: I am responding to messages posted in the previous tread.
However, the Danes appeal to me because I find them glamorous, I think Mary is (or at least looks) intelligent and poised. There is a sweetness and softness about them that makes me smile, and they both meet my idea of dignity and regalness (is that a word? LOL). And I don't ask much more to royalty.

My point was not to bash other royals, just to show that there may be other reasons to Mary and Fred popularity than over-zealous danish subjects, like some of you seems to think (I'm French BTW).:)

Idriel

They do seem glamourous don't they. I think your appraisal on Mary is correct from my perspective. She cannot be a dope or she would have been a liability to the DRF, so she not only looks intelligent she is.

I have heard some very shallow remarks about her chin. Thats what superficial people talk like.:( Mary is a sweetheart, not perfect of course but who is??

There is more reason than the loyal Danes, I agree. The magazines which cover Fred and Mary are from all over the globe. :)

Cheers Jaques D.

Princejohnny25 01-08-2006 12:35 PM

Well Fred and Mary arnt the hardest working royals but they look like royals if you get what I mean. Mary looks like a princess everywhere she goes. Always elegant and glamorous and all eyes are on her. She commands attention even if she may not want it. Some people complain about the brits being pompous and grandeur but the danes go crazy with royal grandeur. Daisy always looks like the queens you read about in the fairytales. Fred is always dashing in his suits and uniforms. They have all these spectacular jewels and medals. They have built up a royal image that is seperate from their personal lives. Everything they do seems perfect and right. I mean even a divorce looked good in that family. They always show themselves in the best light. They know how to be royal even if they dont work as hard as others. I always feel sad for the brits getting blasted so many times and others get an easy pass even though the brits are the hardest workers.They always keep quiet and the royal image isnt shattered. How long that can last, I dont know? But when you look at letizia the only time she looks like a princess is at galas and she doesnt attend much. Maxima has that fun girl next door appeal but not much of a princess. Though they may be good for thier country it isnt different to the international community. The international press wants the stereo type royals to focus one and the Danes are just that.

Noelle9982 01-08-2006 06:01 PM

Well whether you like them or not (which I happen to love them) you have to say this about the Danish royals...

they always carry themselves in a dignified, respectful manner. Like Princejohnny25 said, they even made a divorce look good!

Little_star 01-09-2006 05:53 AM

"However, the Danes appeal to me because I find them glamorous, I think Mary is (or at least looks) intelligent and poised. There is a sweetness and softness about them that makes me smile, and they both meet my idea of dignity and regalness (is that a word? LOL). And I don't ask much more to royalty."

I find the "sweetness" of Mary the most difficult to believe, from what i've seen of her that's always the last impression, she always seems more interested in finding the nearest camera and posing for it. Something I've had confirmed by my Danish family!

Margrethe II 01-09-2006 06:29 AM

Hmmm...Lets see

The Crown Princess attended Hobart Matriculation College for two years. She completed her studies at the University of Tasmania, which she attended from 1989 until 1994, at which time she graduated with bachelors of Commerce and Laws (BCom.LLB) degrees. She later qualified for professional certificates in advertising and direct marketing. Prior to her marriage, she worked for DDB Needham in Melbourne, Young & Rubicsm in Sydney and Microsoft Business Solutions in Copenhagen, among other employers. She worked as a sales director at Belle Properties, a real estate firm in Sydney. She also taught Business English at a language school in Paris.
- courtsey wikipedia


HRH the Crown Princess is most definitly an intelligent indavidual. There is no doubt whatsoever about that!

"MII"

Linda Hsu 01-09-2006 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little_star
"However, the Danes appeal to me because I find them glamorous, I think Mary is (or at least looks) intelligent and poised. There is a sweetness and softness about them that makes me smile, and they both meet my idea of dignity and regalness (is that a word? LOL). And I don't ask much more to royalty."

I find the "sweetness" of Mary the most difficult to believe, from what i've seen of her that's always the last impression, she always seems more interested in finding the nearest camera and posing for it. Something I've had confirmed by my Danish family!

WOW....."sweetness" of Mary is in the eyes of beholder!

I also think Mary looks very sweet because she has a lovely and beautiful smile. http://crownprincessmary.ipbhost.com...ons/banana.gif

Amen

Jaques Demolay 01-09-2006 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little_star
"However, the Danes appeal to me because I find them glamorous, I think Mary is (or at least looks) intelligent and poised. There is a sweetness and softness about them that makes me smile, and they both meet my idea of dignity and regalness (is that a word? LOL). And I don't ask much more to royalty."

I find the "sweetness" of Mary the most difficult to believe, from what i've seen of her that's always the last impression, she always seems more interested in finding the nearest camera and posing for it. Something I've had confirmed by my Danish family!

Little_star

You have had it confirmed to your satisfaction I'm sure, but more than likely not to anyone elses.:) Does your family know her???
Probably not.

Jaques D.

Mandy 01-09-2006 11:27 PM

What bothers you about Frederik and Mary?
 
You can discuss whatever bothers you about Frederik and Mary in this thread. Several posts have already been moved from the currents events threads to get the discussion rolling.

This discussion should stay in this thread, as far as possible, and not carry over into other threads or this thread will be closed.

This is an attempt to keep the discussion in the current event threads focussed on current events, rather than centered on Frederik’s and Mary’s qualities, traits and characteristics.


We are not expecting nice only posts about Mary and Frederik nor free-for-all shots at Frederik and Mary. We are however expecting everyone to conduct themselves in an adult and civil manner without resorting to member or royal name calling.

Remember that the Royal Forums Rules & Guidelines apply at all times throughout the discussion.

Warren 01-10-2006 12:43 AM

Hello! Polls
 
To put it in perspective, it was a Hello! poll for Hello! readers and on-line visitors. It's not a scientific or in-depth analysis of people's attitudes. Hello! magazine is published for English-speaking readers, and they relate to Mary because she is Australian. Why take it so seriously?

If there was a similar poll in Hola! it would, unsurprisingly, represent the Spanish-speaking readership, and the results would probably be quite different.
If we had separate polls on these Forums directed at English speakers and at Spanish speakers we would get diffrent results. That is stating the obvious.

Take it at face value. In the scheme of things, is the result of a Hello! poll that important? Will it change anyone's life in any way?
If someone doesn't agree with the poll result, just shrug your shoulders. Then turn the page.

crisiñaki 01-10-2006 12:47 AM

there's something about Mary that I personally don't like, she looks kind of cold and stiff and Frederik looks like a love struck teen that follows each and everyone of her whims and desires.

Mandy 01-10-2006 12:58 AM

This a reminder that this discussion is about Frederik and Mary and not their son the little prince.

Mandy
Danish Forum Moderator

RoyalEnquirer 01-10-2006 01:04 AM

I like Frederik & Mary very much. They seem to be genuinely in love and take their responsiblities as Crown Prince and Crown Princess seriously. Fred and Mary have been married what, 1 1/2 years? I think they both have adjusted to marriage well, but are still in the adjustment period, especially with a newborn in their life now. As for Mary seeming cold, I think that we all paste on a fake smile for the camera every once in a while. Why should she have to be any different? Celebrities do it ALL the time. One more thing, it definitely helps that Mary is from Australia for the Hello poll. She is well loved by her native Australia and also by Denmark, and we all know that Frederik is Denmark's beloved Queen Margrethe's son, the Crown Prince.

princess olga 01-10-2006 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandy
You can discuss whatever bothers you about Frederik and Mary in this thread. Several posts have already been moved from the currents events threads to get the discussion rolling.

This discussion should stay in this thread, as far as possible, and not carry over into other threads or this thread will be closed.

This is an attempt to keep the discussion in the current event threads focussed on current events, rather than centered on Frederik’s and Mary’s qualities, traits and characteristics.


We are not expecting nice only posts about Mary and Frederik nor free-for-all shots at Frederik and Mary. We are however expecting everyone to conduct themselves in an adult and civil manner without resorting to member or royal name calling.

Remember that the Royal Forums Rules & Guidelines apply at all times throughout the discussion.

Mandy, thanks for the clarification. I was a bit surprised to see I'd started this new thread! ;)

But seriously, I'm not sure I'd agree with the title of the thread, even though it's become the gist of the discussion. Fred n Mary don't bother me per se, what I was reacting to was and is their obvious all round popularity, even compared to royal peers such as Maxima, Felipe, or Letizia, who are people with, well to me at least, more obvious natural karma, not to mention lust for a good day's work!

That's why I'd posed my original question, which wasn't trying to get at "why do they bother me" but more: "Why are these two so popular?".

PRinceJohnny, up thread, has come up with what seems to be to me the most plausible explanation so far.

And further, I do agree with Warren that a poll is just that. As an excellent Chinese proverb goes, "Truth is a point in time". Who knows which royal will be more popular next week! :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises