The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Life and Lifestyle (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/)
-   -   Would They Have Married? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/would-they-have-married-8371.html)

auntie 12-30-2005 08:00 AM

Would They Have Married?
 
There is something I have always wondered, which of the Princesses, CPrincesses, Queen's etc. would have married their husband it they were for instance consruction workers or even missle class?! Please explain.

I'll start:
CP MM of Norway, I'm definitly sure of it, she and Haakon seem to have such an understanding of each other, their faces express a thousand words.

Princess Robijn 12-30-2005 08:02 AM

I think that CP Mary would have married CP Frederik, even if Frederik wasn't a CP

pollyemma 12-30-2005 09:07 AM

I wonder if Marie Chantal would have married Pavlos if he wasnt royal.
right now she gets all the perks of royalty (tiaras, invites to royal weddings etc) without all the slog work and paparazzi attention.

I like her. (i sometimes wonder if i'm the only who does) and i think they have a happy marriage but I wonder if she could stand up to the difficulties of a royal life.

LaChicaMadrilena 12-30-2005 11:20 AM

Quite all newest Crown Princesses, like Maxima, Mary, Masako from Japan and Letizia are very well-educated commoners, who had really successful carears in the past, so it must have been a bit hard for them to give it all up and started the public job of the Princess. So the only answer here is- a real LOVE...

norwegianne 12-30-2005 11:48 AM

I think it actually would have been easier for Haakon to convince Mette-Marit to marry him if he hadn't been royal. She never seemed to me as someone who craved the royal spotlight. If she had been, I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't have been living together before they married, and married earlier instead.

SpiffyBallerina 12-30-2005 01:31 PM

The only one I really doubt is MC and CP Pavlos. I think it was made very obvious that it was a very sweet deal for both sides. Not that they don't love each other (and I hope they do with 4 children), but I'm sure the marriage would never have happened if titles weren't involved.

auntie 12-31-2005 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Robijn
I think that CP Mary would have married CP Frederik, even if Frederik wasn't a CP

So you think she would have kept up the trans atlantic relationship if he was a brick layer?

auntie 12-31-2005 12:53 PM

What about other royals- from the Dutch/Danish/Swedish/Belgian (claire and laurent comes to mind?!)/luxemburg/ and other non reigning RF's?

SpiffyBallerina 12-31-2005 05:57 PM

I think Princess Claire and Prince Laurent are too private for anyone to know. Sure, they look very different from each other, but I hardly think that's grounds to speculate that their marriage is based on titles.

Margrethe II 12-31-2005 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntie
So you think she would have kept up the trans atlantic relationship if he was a brick layer?

Yes, I do...

"MII"

Linda Hsu 12-31-2005 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margrethe II
Yes, I do...

"MII"

I second that......

Amen

pollyemma 12-31-2005 07:45 PM

I'm sure Maxima would have preferred that WA was not a prince. she had to listen to people call her father a war criminal and he was not be allowed to attend her wedding. she also had to give up a highpowered career as an international banker. if that's not true love, i don't know what is.

grim_lady 12-31-2005 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linda Hsu
I second that......

Amen

I agree too. When CP Frederik and CP Mary had first married I heard in a few stories that Mary had started taking etiquette classes a few weeks after they met which to me says she was preparing to be seen with him. Although I think the love between them is real now I think that Mary might have been pulled in by Frederik not just by his personality but also because he was royalty. But Mary isn't a bad person. I mean who here wouldn't just love to be with a royal?

crisiñaki 12-31-2005 08:34 PM

Who wouldn't have married Felipe? even if he wasn't a prince, he's awesome, I think the same about Mathilde and Mette-Marit but not about Mary or Claire

Danielle 12-31-2005 08:47 PM

I'm sure that even if CP Philippe wasn't royal, and CP Mathilde wasn't born titled herself, that they would still have fallen in love and married. I don't know how they would have met, but I can't imagine how those two would ever suit anybody else. They seem so 'perfect' for each other. This is the only couple I can be nearly certain of.

Aussie Princess 12-31-2005 11:51 PM

I say a big huge fat YES for Letizia, and yes for Mette-Marit and Mathilde, and a most likely for Maxima.

Lady Jennifer 01-01-2006 12:35 AM

Personally I don't think Mabel would have married Johan Friso if he hadn't been a Prince. Its just a feeling I get from Mabel. And I could be completely off about it, but I don't think I am.

pollyemma 01-01-2006 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Jennifer
Personally I don't think Mabel would have married Johan Friso if he hadn't been a Prince. Its just a feeling I get from Mabel. And I could be completely off about it, but I don't think I am.

she did always have a tropism toward well connected men.

regardez 01-01-2006 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollyemma
I'm sure Maxima would have preferred that WA was not a prince. she had to listen to people call her father a war criminal and he was not be allowed to attend her wedding. she also had to give up a highpowered career as an international banker. if that's not true love, i don't know what is.

I agree. Plus Maxima is such a sincere person and not someone who could fake feelings at all. You can really tell that she is in love with him for him. Haha and I love that thing she said about not even recognizing him when he visited her in New York. The fact that he mainly courted and chased after her (than the other way around) makes me beleive that even more.

I don't know much about the other CPs, but I'll just say yes for the sake of the romantic in me.

Princess Robijn 01-01-2006 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntie
So you think she would have kept up the trans atlantic relationship if he was a brick layer?

Yes..

say: CP Frederik is born in Denmark, but not as a CP
I think that Mary would have moved to Denmark, even if CP Frederik wasn't the CP

Jaques Demolay 01-01-2006 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntie
So you think she would have kept up the trans atlantic relationship if he was a brick layer?

auntie

Does it have to be a brick layer?? Can it be a marketing manager for a Danish firm?? Or something similar. These poor bricklayers get dragged into every debate about preferences.
BTW I am not a bricklayer, and I think Mary would have married Fred if he happened to be someone who had a reasonable job and common interests.:)


Jaques D.

lise 01-02-2006 07:56 PM

This is the kind of thing we will spend our whole lives guessing about and never know the answer too. I hope they all married for love I don't think you should marry a crown prince for any other reason if you were to compare all the things you'd lose marring a crown prince as opposed to all the things you'd gain marrying one, It's only worth marring a crown prince if you love him.

Alexandria 01-02-2006 08:14 PM

Maybe we could turn the question around and wonder if some men would've married their respective royal wives if they weren't royal?

For example, from some of the suggestions put out by other members, would Margrethe and Henrik of Denmark's marriage been easier if Margrethe weren't the Queen and she would've simply been Mrs. Margrethe Monteparzat? (I've butched the spelling of his last name, I know; sorry.)

Or would Jamie de Marichalar and Inaki Urdangarin have married the Spanish Infantas?

Here is an obvious one: Would Edwin have married Princess Margarita if it weren't for her title? (A big fat, emphatic NO to that one!)

Or maybe would certain royal relationships/marriages have worked out if one partner wasn't royal? Such as Princess Margaret of Great Britain's marriage to Lord Snowdon or Princess Anne's marriage to Captain Phillips.

In a present-case scenario, perhaps Victoria of Sweden's relationship with Daniel Westling would be easier on him (them) if she weren't to be queen one day.

ysbel 01-02-2006 08:28 PM

Good point Alexandria.

I know Lord Mountbatten was pushing Prince Philip to marry a wealthy woman because he was rather penniless. I'm sure the Queen and Prince Philip are happy now but I wonder if she had been a mere Elizabeth Windsor with little money would he have gone ahead and married her.

What I'd like to know is whether Prince Pavlos would have married Marie-Chantal if she hadn't been incredibly wealthy.

Oppie 01-02-2006 09:21 PM

What ifs open up a lot more questions, if Crown Prince Frederick was a commenor could he afford a long distance relationship with Mary (would he even be able to afford a trip to the Olympics) Would Prince Philip ever meet Elizabeth Windsor (though I do think if at the time she was still Princess Elizabeth of York and Uncle David was still the King with an heir, Philip still would have married her)

pinklady1991 01-02-2006 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oppie
What ifs open up a lot more questions, if Crown Prince Frederick was a commenor could he afford a long distance relationship with Mary (would he even be able to afford a trip to the Olympics) Would Prince Philip ever meet Elizabeth Windsor (though I do think if at the time she was still Princess Elizabeth of York and Uncle David was still the King with an heir, Philip still would have married her)

In today's digital age, long distance relationships are much easier. If a commoner were to fall in love with a royal and choose to marry that person with the determination to make the relationship work, s/he would have to truly love the other person for the person s/he is and wants to be not in spite of the royal title or because of it. You love that person because of his/her sense of duty, sense of purpose...and you have to be supportive of those things and understand that sometimes (perhaps often) you are not the highest priority in his/her life. It's not as if anyone who marries a royal has any greater sense of selflessness in a relationship, but it's understanding that dedication to duty as part of the reason of why s/he fell in love with him/her.

I hope that makes sense...I think I may have bungled the meaning a bit.

crisiñaki 01-02-2006 11:42 PM

well, I for starters think that Claus would have married Beatrix whether she was a princess or not, I don't believe that Jaime would have married Elena if she wasn't the King's daughter, Iñaki would have married Cristina even if she was a (put a profession here), Henrik has had a lot of problems adapting to the court so he would still have gotten married Margrethe even if she wasn't going to become queen, Claire would never have looked at Laurent twice as Mabel and Laurentien either...

auntie 01-03-2006 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crisiñaki
Claire would never have looked at Laurent twice as Mabel and Laurentien either...

With all due respect to Laurentien, She is the less attractive of the pair, She seems nice and really well grounded, but sometimes I contemplate what he saw in her as far as physical attraction? (I really like her personality, there is no malice in this question)

Back to the Danes, what about Alex and Joachim? She looked radiant at the announcement of marriage, what is said about them? The reason I'm asking, is because a couleague of mine who is Danish went to school with the Danish princes, and he said that they aint too smart!:o

auntie 01-03-2006 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grim_lady
I agree too. When CP Frederik and CP Mary had first married I heard in a few stories that Mary had started taking etiquette classes a few weeks after they met which to me says she was preparing to be seen with him. Although I think the love between them is real now I think that Mary might have been pulled in by Frederik not just by his personality but also because he was royalty. But Mary isn't a bad person. I mean who here wouldn't just love to be with a royal?

Not etiquette lessons, I think self imaging, or "how to get what you aim for" etc. There has been speculation why she did it, or when she did before or after she met Fredrick, whilst they had a transatlantic relationship, whatever the case they truly seem be happy!

auntie 01-03-2006 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaques Demolay
auntie

Does it have to be a brick layer?? Can it be a marketing manager for a Danish firm?? Or something similar. These poor bricklayers get dragged into every debate about preferences.
BTW I am not a bricklayer, and I think Mary would have married Fred if he happened to be someone who had a reasonable job and common interests.:)


Jaques D.

Quite right, I had no right to be offensive, could be a bank clerk, Laywer, computer technician and so forth

UserDane 01-03-2006 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntie
The reason I'm asking, is because a couleague of mine who is Danish went to school with the Danish princes, and he said that they aint too smart!:o

It's difficult to judge how 'smart' people are based on their school days. Those I went to school with and considered smart were not necessarily the ones who got the best or most lengthy educations.
Besides, Frederik is undoubtedly 'people smart' - many people really like him. And that is an important type of intelligence for a future regent :)


ysbel 01-03-2006 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntie

Back to the Danes, what about Alex and Joachim? She looked radiant at the announcement of marriage, what is said about them? The reason I'm asking, is because a couleague of mine who is Danish went to school with the Danish princes, and he said that they aint too smart!:o

Joachim may not be smart but he is very good looking. :)

H.M. Margrethe 01-03-2006 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysbel
Joachim may not be smart but he is very good looking. :)

What ??? I don´t like the looks of Prince Joachim...He looks like he is sooooo snobish and that he is looking down to me as an ordinary Dane. He migth be Prince of Denmark and heir to the crown BUT i still much more like CP Frederik.

ysbel 01-03-2006 12:57 PM

I think they're both good looking but they are very different princes as you say. I don't know about the snobbish bit; I haven't seen enough of Joachim to make a judgment.

selrahc4 01-03-2006 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntie
With all due respect to Laurentien, She is the less attractive of the pair, She seems nice and really well grounded, but sometimes I contemplate what he saw in her as far as physical attraction? (I really like her personality, there is no makice in this question)

Lol, the old adage about beauty and the eye of the beholder is so very true! I find Laurentien the most attractive of all those mentioned and several not mentioned. :)

pollyemma 01-03-2006 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selrahc4
Lol, the old adage about beauty and the eye of the beholder is so very true! I find Laurentien the most attractive of all those mentioned and several not mentioned. :)

I agree. I find Mabel so hideous I can barely stand to look at her. (the clothes dont help her much either) Laurentien is not as pretty as Maxima but she's certainly nice looking and of course her warmth and intelligence make it impossible not to love her.

auntie 01-03-2006 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserDane

It's difficult to judge how 'smart' people are based on their school days. Those I went to school with and considered smart were not necessarily the ones who got the best or most lengthy educations.
Besides, Frederik is undoubtedly 'people smart' - many people really like him. And that is an important type of intelligence for a future regent :)




I'm not talking about primary school(younger years) He went to school with them in their older years, and yes you are right, people smart is important!

Alexandria 01-03-2006 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinklady1991
In today's digital age, long distance relationships are much easier. If a commoner were to fall in love with a royal and choose to marry that person with the determination to make the relationship work, s/he would have to truly love the other person for the person s/he is and wants to be not in spite of the royal title or because of it. You love that person because of his/her sense of duty, sense of purpose...and you have to be supportive of those things and understand that sometimes (perhaps often) you are not the highest priority in his/her life. It's not as if anyone who marries a royal has any greater sense of selflessness in a relationship, but it's understanding that dedication to duty as part of the reason of why s/he fell in love with him/her.

I hope that makes sense...I think I may have bungled the meaning a bit.

I think you make lots of wonderful comments pinklady1991! And I don't think you've bungled anything!

I think that our modern-day princes and princesses have chosen to marry their respective partners not for the greater titles they can offer but because they truly love them. The desire by royal courts for royals to marry other royals may still exist in some small way, but there is certainly less pressure and less of a stigma to marry a commoner. We have had some wonderful recent examples of commoners making wonderful monarchs/royals -- Silvia of Sweden, Sonja of Norway, Claus and Maxima of the Netherlands, Noor of Jordan, to name just a few.

Some royals have potentially jeopoardized their monarchies in choosing the commoner partners they did -- consider the scanda and "outrage" and level of debate when Haakon chose to marry Mette-Marit or when Felipe chose to marry Letizia. Both couples have proven that love can conquer above duty!

Elsa M. 01-03-2006 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crisiñaki
Who wouldn't have married Felipe? even if he wasn't a prince, he's awesome

I couldn't agree more here... who could resist such a handsome, kind, cultured and intelligent man?;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by crisiñaki
Iñaki would have married Cristina even if she was a (put a profession here)

Agree. They're soul mates :)

lucys 01-03-2006 10:05 PM

I actually believe that there are a couple of the crown princesses that married their guy in spite of the fact that they were princes--not at all because.

moosey60 01-04-2006 12:41 AM

Yes for Mathilde, Mette-Marit, Masako and maybe Maxima and Claire.
No for Mary, Letizia, Marie-Chantal, and Clothilde Courau.

crisiñaki 01-04-2006 03:19 AM

Mary, Marie-Chantal, Claire, Mabel married for the title
Mathilde, Mette-Marit,Letizia, Máxima, Sophie married out of love

alexisrjt 01-04-2006 03:48 AM

I'm surprised by those who think Mary wouldn't have married Frederik if he weren't a prince. They look incredibly in love to me--and him at the wedding? Good heavens, who doesn't want his/her groom to be so overcome with (good, loving) emotion at that moment? I'd say they're lucky to have found each other and prevail against whatever obstacles were in their way. Am I missing something?

UserDane 01-04-2006 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexisrjt
I'm surprised by those who think Mary wouldn't have married Frederik if he weren't a prince. They look incredibly in love to me--and him at the wedding? Good heavens, who doesn't want his/her groom to be so overcome with (good, loving) emotion at that moment? I'd say they're lucky to have found each other and prevail against whatever obstacles were in their way. Am I missing something?

I completely agree with you. Frederik and Mary look incredibly in love to me, too.


Sancia 01-04-2006 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexisrjt
I'm surprised by those who think Mary wouldn't have married Frederik if he weren't a prince. They look incredibly in love to me--and him at the wedding? Good heavens, who doesn't want his/her groom to be so overcome with (good, loving) emotion at that moment? I'd say they're lucky to have found each other and prevail against whatever obstacles were in their way. Am I missing something?

There are obviously love in their couple, but I bet Mary liked a lot the new status she gained when she married Frederik.
For Claire of Belgium, I think she would have married Laurent if he wasn't a prince. She seems to be not a big fan of all the royal tra-la-la.

capricorninin 01-04-2006 04:13 AM

I wonder why Mary has to bear the brunt just because she took a few classes. In the initial phases of a relationship I guess there is always a desire to put the best foot forward. For a normal average girl like Mary to meet Frederick and realise his position the desire to present a very prim and proper front would be very natural. It does not necessary mean that the aim was to trap Fred. Also Fred and Mary did not jump in and get married, they took their time. And I believe that it was love and friendship which both felt for each other which prompted them to get married. Somehow 3-4 yrs in a courtship really exposes the real person behind the facade whether you want it or not. And even if Mary had not found any unendearing qualities about the lazy, unintelligent Fred, Fred and his family would have realized if her feelings were mutual towards him or not. So all in all this couple looks to be a case of love.

Anyway for me Diana would never have married Charles if he wasn't a prince.

fandesacs2003 01-04-2006 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crisiñaki
Who wouldn't have married Felipe? even if he wasn't a prince, he's awesome, I think the same about Mathilde and Mette-Marit but not about Mary or Claire

If he was not a royal Felipe would have married Isabel Sartorius and we would not discuss now. Felipe had two serious relationships broken because they were considered te be against his royal condition, so.. the replya is there.

fandesacs2003 01-04-2006 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexisrjt
I'm surprised by those who think Mary wouldn't have married Frederik if he weren't a prince. They look incredibly in love to me--and him at the wedding? Good heavens, who doesn't want his/her groom to be so overcome with (good, loving) emotion at that moment? I'd say they're lucky to have found each other and prevail against whatever obstacles were in their way. Am I missing something?

I agree that they are very in love, but they managed to keep warm their love, because Frederic was a royal.
They managed to afford to travel often to see eachother (how many normal people can travel many times per year Denmark-Australia????).
Mary abandoned her job, her friends, her home, to go somewhere unknown for her, where she even not spoke the language, it was an enormeous challenge for a normal girl. She did it because she was "backed":rolleyes: thanks to Frederik's position. If he was a brick layer living in Denmark he could'nt be able to back her, find a job for her, or make her live without a job, etc etc.
So the relation would have die, so simple.

fandesacs2003 01-04-2006 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crisiñaki
Mary, Marie-Chantal, Claire, Mabel married for the title
Mathilde, Mette-Marit,Letizia, Máxima, Sophie married out of love

Marie Chantal, I would think you are right
Mette-Marit, Does she look very inlove to you????? not to me. She obviousely does not like the royal obligations, but she DOES like the comfort given be her position, like expensive Croco Prada bags :p priced in thousand euros each. Do not forget that in the first years of their marriage they have been very criticized because of her very expensive way of living, when paparazzis cought her every day shopping from the most expensive fashion houses, when she was supposed to "study" in London.
At this time, Norwegian people were extremely angry and the couple came back from London to Norway. Now MM is behavioring much much better, but I'm still not convinced of her "lack" of financial interest.

Mathilde : Absolute love:)

Peaches 01-04-2006 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntie
So you think she would have kept up the trans atlantic relationship if he was a brick layer?

Yes...a bricklayer with a Black American Express Card.

Smilla 01-04-2006 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fandesacs2003
Mette-Marit, Does she look very inlove to you????? not to me. She obviousely does not like the royal obligations, but she DOES like the comfort given be her position, like expensive Croco Prada bags :p priced in thousand euros each. Do not forget that in the first years of their marriage they have been very criticized because of her very expensive way of living, when paparazzis cought her every day shopping from the most expensive fashion houses, when she was supposed to "study" in London.
At this time, Norwegian people were extremely angry and the couple came back from London to Norway. Now MM is behavioring much much better, but I'm still not convinced of her "lack" of financial interest.

From all what one knows about Mette-Marit, it seems clear that stepping into the limelight (so to speak) was not exactly natural, nor what she wanted out of life. In addition, think of the problems she faced due to her past. Would you go and marry someone who'd make you a public figure if people kept digging up all sorts of information about you, berated you and criticised you every step on the way? And if it meant you had to do something totally different from what you'd originally planned to do in your life? You'd be a complete fool or masochistic to marry someone you didn't love, just to be able to afford Prada bags.

fandesacs2003 01-04-2006 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smilla
From all what one knows about Mette-Marit, it seems clear that stepping into the limelight (so to speak) was not exactly natural, nor what she wanted out of life. In addition, think of the problems she faced due to her past. Would you go and marry someone who'd make you a public figure if people kept digging up all sorts of information about you, berated you and criticised you every step on the way? And if it meant you had to do something totally different from what you'd originally planned to do in your life? You'd be a complete fool or masochistic to marry someone you didn't love, just to be able to afford Prada bags.

My dear, thousand of people in this world marry, or stay married with someone who they do not love at all, especially and only because they love toooo much Prada bags.....:o
As regards MM, her problem to face limeligts are human and understandable, but on the other hand,she should have shown a more moderated "ability" to step into luxury world, ...this kind of contradiction can irritate people.

Smilla 01-04-2006 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fandesacs2003
My dear, thousand of people in this world marry, or stay married with someone who they do not love at all, especially and only because they love toooo much Prada bags.....:o
As regards MM, her problem to face limeligts are human and understandable, but on the other hand,she should have shown a more moderated "ability" to step into luxury world, ...this kind of contradiction can irritate people.

Yes, but Mette-Marit has not shown any undue cravings for Prada bags or been known as a social climber for most of her life. She was never a real fashionista either (and still isn't, in my opinion). So suddenly deciding to marry somebody who'd effectively make her life a lot more difficult in many respects (except the financial one) sounds very out of character.
I agree with much of the criticism, she's made her share of mistakes, but I think you definitely can't say she married for convenience, given the fact that it has cost her much of her personal comfort.

Jaques Demolay 01-04-2006 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntie
Quite right, I had no right to be offensive, could be a bank clerk, Laywer, computer technician and so forth

auntie

You were not offensive in any way. :) I was trying to be a bit funny, and it didn't come off.:o

Cheers Jaques D.

H.M. Margrethe 01-04-2006 09:06 AM

Marie-Chantal,Mabel and Letizia married their prince for the title.

Mary,Mathilde,Mette-Marit,Máxima, Claire and Sophie married their prince out of love.

Clothilde Courau ? I don´t know. When she got married to her prince was she not preagnet then ???

Smilla 01-04-2006 09:17 AM

That's aninteresting point of view. Why do you think Letizia married for the title?

H.M. Margrethe 01-04-2006 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smilla
That's aninteresting point of view. Why do you think Letizia married for the title?


She looks to me that she love´s the glamour in being a CrownPrincess and i just can´t se or finde the love in their looks or their bodylanguage.
It looks to me that she love the power and the money of being a CP.

Marengo 01-04-2006 10:02 AM

The spanish royals arent really wealthy (or powerfull, as is none of the european RF). I really donbt think Letizia enjoys the glamour that much. She seems most radiant in pictures I see when she is on leisure with her husband. On official occassions she seems a bit in awe, afraid of doing things wrong (my personal impression).

As for the other women, I think most/all of them would have married their husband, if they had a carreer which was on a comparable level of that of their own. In fact I think some (Mette-Marit, married their husbands IN SPITE of their royal title.

Smilla 01-04-2006 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H.M. Margrethe
She looks to me that she love´s the glamour in being a CrownPrincess and i just can´t se or finde the love in their looks or their bodylanguage.

As far as I know the Spanish RF are a bit more reserved in public than the more liberal RFs, so maybe she doesn't want to be the one to break with tradition by being not to demonstrative in her love of her husband?

fandesacs2003 01-04-2006 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H.M. Margrethe
She looks to me that she love´s the glamour in being a CrownPrincess and i just can´t se or finde the love in their looks or their bodylanguage.
It looks to me that she love the power and the money of being a CP.

I have often also the same feeling, but do not forget that Letizia is a coldheaded person, she does not show very much feelings. I think sge shares a good relation with Felipe, but talking for deep love !!! I'm not so sure.
Noone of them gives the impression that they share a passion like Philip & Mathilde, or Frederik & Mary.
And I do believe that she enjoys her official appearances, tiaras etc, and comparing her pics from now with photos of her first appearances, she seems now feeling strong moments of glory !!!!!!!

Smilla 01-04-2006 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fandesacs2003
I have often also the same feeling, but do not forget that Letizia is a coldheaded person, she does not show very much feelings. I think sge shares a good relation with Felipe, but talking for deep love !!! I'm not so sure.
Noone of them gives the impression that they share a passion like Philip & Mathilde, or Frederik & Mary.
And I do believe that she enjoys her official appearances, tiaras etc, and comparing her pics from now with photos of her first appearances, she seems now feeling strong moments of glory !!!!!!!

I simply think she was rather nervous in the beginning and feels more secure now.
I do believe that Letizia is a very ambitious person, so ambition might have played a role in her marrying Felipe rather than the bricklayer we can't seem to get rid of. But she already had a divorce and doubtlessly is clever enough to know that having a divorce in her present marriage will be difficult. So at least she must like Felipe well enough to know that she can stand being with him for a very long time.

ladybelline 01-04-2006 11:44 AM

Quote:

Clothilde Courau ? I don´t know. When she got married to her prince was she not preagnet then ???
Yes, Clotilde was 6 months pregnant with Vittoria when she married Emanuele-Filiberto. (and you really have to know it on the wedding day, nearly nothig was visible under her dress!:D )

polop 01-04-2006 11:58 AM

I know a lot of people are going to diagree with me, but I don't think Camilla would've married Charles if wasn't a Prince. Right before their engagement became public, rumors were that she was getting tired of not attending state events with him, and wanted to be included as his wife AND as a ROYAL MEMBER.I think she would have NEVER married him, if he wasn't a prince.;) :)

pollyemma 01-04-2006 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polop
I know a lot of people are going to diagree with me, but I don't think Camilla would've married Charles if wasn't a Prince. Right before their engagement became public, rumors were that she was getting tired of not attending state events with him, and wanted to be included as his wife AND as a ROYAL MEMBER.I think she would have NEVER married him, if he wasn't a prince.;) :)

well I think Charles was tired of not having her officially there with him as his wife. there was that whole debacle of them not being allowed to sit together at the van cutsem wedding. a lot of people thought that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

but really...Camilla stayed with charles for so long. putting up with being called the "rottweiler" and being widely mocked and hated by the media and countless people around the world, having their phone conversation played on tv...i dont know about you but not even the prospect of getting to wear the delhi durbar could make me put up with all that.

only the power of love would.

Little_star 01-04-2006 01:51 PM

Mary and Marie-Chantal are the 2 I suspect most of having married for reasons other than love based on what I have seen of them. They both seem to be more in love with the whole idea of a "princess" than anything else (imo).

As for the passion issue, the frst heady feelings of love don't last (and it's now scientifically proven!) so a couple needs to have something more substantial than just hugs and kisses.

However, it's impossible to say as I know none of the Royal ladies personally.

Jaques Demolay 01-04-2006 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little_star
Mary and Marie-Chantal are the 2 I suspect most of having married for reasons other than love based on what I have seen of them. They both seem to be more in love with the whole idea of a "princess" than anything else (imo).

As for the passion issue, the frst heady feelings of love don't last (and it's now scientifically proven!) so a couple needs to have something more substantial than just hugs and kisses.

However, it's impossible to say as I know none of the Royal ladies personally.

Little_star

If you require a scientist to let you know how your marriage is going, or will go, that's fine. I'm sure that the majority don't.
There is a little bit of contradiction in your post. [based on what i have seen of them] and [impossible to say as I know none of the royal ladies]
I thought we had been through the debate, of whether or not these royals feelings and inner thoughts, could be determined accurately by looking at photos and a few vids???
I am a Mary fan, but I would not speculate on Letizia's feelings just using photos and videos, unless I saw something which stood out.
All of the princesses, should be given the benifit of the doubt, until proven otherwise.
That is not to say, that I don't agree with this thread of course, because as we all know, royal marriages traditionally have happened to accomodate improved relationships between countries which under normal circumstances, may have been strained. Wealth and prestige have been other reasons.

I believe, that all of the commoner princesses, married for love, but, they would have been aware, that there was the added bonus of becoming a princess. That is not a bad thing to be happy about.

Cheers Jaques D.

sriwadee 01-04-2006 11:06 PM

During economic crisis...most women want to marry men for money. In my opinion.....if prince(s) are commoners,

M-M, Mathide, Letizia would marrry for love 100% for sure.

Maxima would marry W-A for nationality. In NYC, most latino women prefer to choose to marry European men so that they can upgrade thier identies, and change (hide) thier latin root, most of latino women don't speak Spanish, even though they can speak English very well or have very good careers.

Mary would marry Frederick for money because she changed job every month; she didn't stay in her job longer than 1 month!

Kate Middleton would marry for money.

Most women would marry Prince Monaco for money.

Maxie 01-04-2006 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sriwadee
Maxima would marry W-A for nationality. In NYC, most latino women prefer to choose to marry European men so that they can upgrade thier identies, and change (hide) thier latin root, most of latino women don't speak Spanish, even though they can speak English very well or have very good careers.

Well, I don't know much about the situation in NYC, but I'm pretty sure Maxima would have married W-A no matter what, even if he wasn't royal and european. In the beginning she had to put up with a lot of not so pleasant things here in Holland (concerning her father and stuff) and she eventually got through it all. Personally I don't think that one would want to put up with all that if it wasn't for love. I also never got the impression that she wants to hide her latin roots, I think she is pretty proud of them, though she is Dutch princess now. :D

Personally I think princess Mabel would have never looked one bit at Johan-Friso if it wasn't for him being a prince. I still think that's a very odd marriage. I can't put my finger on it, but sometimes she just gives me the creeps with her bows and dark lipstick. Well, maybe Mabel is a really lovely person, the Queen seems to love her very much, so...

Jaques Demolay 01-04-2006 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sriwadee
During economic crisis...most women want to marry men for money. In my opinion.....if prince(s) are commoners,

M-M, Mathide, Letizia would marrry for love 100% for sure.

Maxima would marry W-A for nationality. In NYC, most latino women prefer to choose to marry European men so that they can upgrade thier identies, and change (hide) thier latin root, most of latino women don't speak Spanish, even though they can speak English very well or have very good careers.

Mary would marry Frederick for money because she changed job every month; she didn't stay in her job longer than 1 month!

Kate Middleton would marry for money.

Most women would marry Prince Monaco for money.

sriwadee

I'm not sure I understand the correlation between changing jobs and marrying for money.:confused:
Mary you say, married Fredeik for money, so following your theory, there must have been an economic crisis in Australia or she was about to change her job. :D lol rotfl

You generalise about Latino women quite decidely. Is there predjudice behind your comments???


Jaques D.

Aussie Princess 01-05-2006 12:16 AM

I see a real warmth in Letizia, I actually see her as one of the most down-to-earth and least status-aware of the crown princesses.other people don't, but I am sure her and Felipe will last forever.

crisiñaki 01-05-2006 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Princess
I see a real warmth in Letizia, I actually see her as one of the most down-to-earth and least status-aware of the crown princesses.other people don't, but I am sure her and Felipe will last forever.

I think that too; besides hell would freezes over before a catholic monarchy accepts a divorce

AquaMarine 01-05-2006 01:28 AM

Nobody can answer exactly to this topic question. I guess even all above mentioned Princessess and their husbands would never admitted their "cold head" even looking in the mirror :cool:
As to me, let's take two different men, both with a kind heart and nice personality. Well, I sooner fall in love with a very educated, multilingual (better 5 languages), succesfull and well-established man than in a bricklayer :p. Why? Because I respect men, which have aspirations, ambitions, goals and know the way how to get all they want. "Successful man" for me, first of all, means - keen intellect, hardwork and lack of laziness. Sure, we all have the right to have our own preferences. And so I cannot judge all those girls-commoners for their choice to become Princess. I do not see contradiction between Real Love and sober view of things. If you love a man and have a good chance to change&improve your life, why not? :)

cde 01-05-2006 01:43 AM

Pollop, you are right people are going to disagree with you on Charles and Camilla :)

I agree with what Pollyemma said but I also would like to add that while I think there was an attraction to Camilla to repeat history like her Great-grandmother that only when so far. They enjoy the same things , and like to do things and be together. Getting married meant for Camilla, she was able to be with Charles as much as they wanted to be without the palace etc not allowing it. .But considering her private nature/personality and what has been written about her I don't think becoming royal was a selling point. to her. But Charles wants to be King and Camilla will what she can to help him achieve that goal.

Little_star 01-05-2006 06:38 AM

Little_star

"If you require a scientist to let you know how your marriage is going, or will go, that's fine. I'm sure that the majority don't."

Would you kindly point out where I stated I would need a scientist to tell me how my marriage ( I am not married) was going? I never stated or suggested anything of the sort?

"There is a little bit of contradiction in your post. [based on what i have seen of them] and [impossible to say as I know none of the royal ladies]
I thought we had been through the debate, of whether or not these royals feelings and inner thoughts, could be determined accurately by looking at photos and a few vids??? ""
It seems you misunderstood what I was saying, I'll explain it again. I was merely poitning out that from what I have observed I had concluded that some Royals do not seem to be as "in love" as others suggest. However, none of use will ever truly know the innermost feelings. It was not a contradiction.

"I am a Mary fan, but I would not speculate on Letizia's feelings just using photos and videos, unless I saw something which stood out.
All of the princesses, should be given the benifit of the doubt, until proven otherwise."
I've seen some things that to me that have stood out, thats why I feel the way I do.

Smilla 01-05-2006 04:41 PM

What about Grace, would she have married Rainier if he hadn't been the ruler of Monaco?

pollyemma 01-05-2006 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smilla
What about Grace, would she have married Rainier if he hadn't been the ruler of Monaco?

good question. from what i've heard she barely knew him before they were married so i think she married him for his title. but i think they did end up having a happy marriage.

Smilla 01-05-2006 04:52 PM

I read that, when asked whether it was "love at first sight", Rainier said that this was a word that was not part of his vocabulary. So this sounds pretty calculating, too.

pollyemma 01-05-2006 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smilla
I read that, when asked whether it was "love at first sight", Rainier said that this was a word that was not part of his vocabulary. So this sounds pretty calculating, too.

that does sound pretty calculating. wow. i had never read that. it doesnt reflect well on him.

Smilla 01-05-2006 05:06 PM

I don't know. I mean, he had the obligation of finding a suitable companion and "mother of the country" (as we call it in German). So he had to be calculating to some extent, didn't he? If I'd be him, I wouldn't have admitted it to the press, though. "You know...I saw her...and I suddenly realized she was the woman I wanted to spend my life with." That sounds much better than "I needed somebody who could smile nicely, look pretty, and had wide child-bearing hips."

Skydragon 01-05-2006 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polop
I know a lot of people are going to diagree with me, but I don't think Camilla would've married Charles if wasn't a Prince. Right before their engagement became public, rumors were that she was getting tired of not attending state events with him, and wanted to be included as his wife AND as a ROYAL MEMBER.I think she would have NEVER married him, if he wasn't a prince.;) :)

As I understand it the reason she turned him DOWN 36 years ago was because he was a Prince! I also believe he was the one who pushed for marriage this time!

Smilla 01-05-2006 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon
As I understand it the reason she turned him DOWN 36 years ago was because he was a Prince!

Maybe she changed her opinion?
(Whatever she did to make him marry her - or the other way round - she clearly deserved to!)

Skydragon 01-06-2006 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smilla
Maybe she changed her opinion?
(Whatever she did to make him marry her - or the other way round - she clearly deserved to!)

As Pollyemma said, Charles was furious that at certain events they were not seated together. Then the civil servants who look to the future also started to push for them to marry or separate. It would have been unacceptable to have a King and his ladyfriend in BP, if the Queen had died.
Camilla did not want the pomp and circumstance, the intrusion by the media into her or her childrens lives.
Yes I agree, I am glad they married, they seem to make each other very happy, lets hope everyone of the royals are still happily together after such a long time.:)

Little_star 01-06-2006 03:59 PM

"What about Grace, would she have married Rainier if he hadn't been the ruler of Monaco?"

i read a book a while ago that claimed the marriage beween Rainier and Grace was arranged. Allegedly, the Prince wanted to boost the profile of Monaco and spoke to several Hollywood studios as to who would be a suitable "lady". Apparently the studios suggested Marilyn Monroe, but Rainier felt she was too racy and in the end they agreed on Grace.

I'd like to add this is purely speculative and just something I read in a book. I'm not suggesting or claiming this is factual.

Smilla 01-06-2006 04:01 PM

Whether it is true or just rumour, Grace was possibly a better choice. Did your book say if Grace was aware of the fact that she was just one of a ton of "suitable ladies"?

Little_star 01-06-2006 04:03 PM

"Whether it is true or just rumour, Grace was possibly a better choice. Did your book say if Grace was aware of the fact that she was just one of a ton of "suitable ladies"?"

Oh yes, it was very much an agreement between both parties. But like I said before, I'm not suggesting or claiming it's true, just something I read.

melissajames 01-06-2006 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiffyBallerina
The only one I really doubt is MC and CP Pavlos. I think it was made very obvious that it was a very sweet deal for both sides. Not that they don't love each other (and I hope they do with 4 children), but I'm sure the marriage would never have happened if titles weren't involved.

That is so true, the marriage united two very calculating individuals. :rolleyes:

melissajames 01-06-2006 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polop
I know a lot of people are going to diagree with me, but I don't think Camilla would've married Charles if wasn't a Prince. Right before their engagement became public, rumors were that she was getting tired of not attending state events with him, and wanted to be included as his wife AND as a ROYAL MEMBER.I think she would have NEVER married him, if he wasn't a prince.;) :)

I agree, I think recongition did probably become quite important to Camilla, esp as Di had passed away for quite a few years now and public opinion had probably softened. So Charles did not really have a big excuse for not marrying her...:rolleyes:

Smilla 01-06-2006 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little_star
"Whether it is true or just rumour, Grace was possibly a better choice. Did your book say if Grace was aware of the fact that she was just one of a ton of "suitable ladies"?"

Oh yes, it was very much an agreement between both parties. But like I said before, I'm not suggesting or claiming it's true, just something I read.

Apparently the deal worked quite well.From what I've read they seem to have developed a good relationship.

tabbitha 01-08-2006 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserDane

It's difficult to judge how 'smart' people are based on their school days. Those I went to school with and considered smart were not necessarily the ones who got the best or most lengthy educations.
Besides, Frederik is undoubtedly 'people smart' - many people really like him. And that is an important type of intelligence for a future regent :)



That's right Userdane. I know of people who don't have University degrees but are very business minded and have done well for themselves. I think he is well rounded and has a good head on his shoulders. I also agree that he appears to have married for love- I couldn't imagine anyone marrying for any other reason-( sure it happens though) ie for companionship and financial security-but to me that would be sad and lonely- I know i couldn't do it- i 'd rather be alone.

dlws92 01-08-2006 09:02 AM

Well....as long as we're doing a "what-if"...

Why would Mary *have* to move to Denmark if Fred was a bricklayer? Let's pretend that Fred is a Danish bricklayer/sales manager/engineer who still has fluent English...it would make more sense for Fred to move to Australia where both Mary and Fred spoke the language.

IMHO, Fred and Mary would have still married but perhaps made their life together in Australia.

I love what-if stuff :)

Debby

EmpressRouge 01-08-2006 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little_star
"Whether it is true or just rumour, Grace was possibly a better choice. Did your book say if Grace was aware of the fact that she was just one of a ton of "suitable ladies"?"

Oh yes, it was very much an agreement between both parties. But like I said before, I'm not suggesting or claiming it's true, just something I read.

From what I've read in various biographies about Grace and Rainier, their marriage was probably not arranged (or "forced") but certainly encouraged, especially by Father Tucker. In 1955-56, both Grace and Rainier were a point in their lives when they were ready/expected to settle down and start a family. Rainier needed to ensure the future of his dynasty while Grace was the last of her siblings to be single. Both had had problems finding a suitible partner: Rainier with Gisele Pascal, and Grace with a string of Hollywood men whom her parents found unsuitible.
At the time, they both needed a Catholic, non-divorce partner, and they found it in each other. For Rainier, Grace also happened to be fertile, from a good family, and an famous American actress that would boost American and worldwide tourism in Monaco. For Grace, she found a husband that would be accepted by her family and whom she thought wouldn't be overshadowed by her stardom.

Marengo 01-08-2006 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissajames
That is so true, the marriage united two very calculating individuals. :rolleyes:

arent we all calculating in a marriage? Everybody hopes to gain something from it, now don't we? love, safety, offspring, etc.

melissajames 01-08-2006 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo
arent we all calculating in a marriage? Everybody hopes to gain something from it, now don't we? love, safety, offspring, etc.

I am afraid I do not know, I have never been married myself. :)

But imo MC and her husband are manipulative people.

melissajames 01-08-2006 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmpressRouge
From what I've read in various biographies about Grace and Rainier, their marriage was probably not arranged (or "forced") but certainly encouraged, especially by Father Tucker. In 1955-56, both Grace and Rainier were a point in their lives when they were ready/expected to settle down and start a family. Rainier needed to ensure the future of his dynasty while Grace was the last of her siblings to be single. Both had had problems finding a suitible partner: Rainier with Gisele Pascal, and Grace with a string of Hollywood men whom her parents found unsuitible.
At the time, they both needed a Catholic, non-divorce partner, and they found it in each other. For Rainier, Grace also happened to be fertile, from a good family, and an famous American actress that would boost American and worldwide tourism in Monaco. For Grace, she found a husband that would be accepted by her family and whom she thought wouldn't be overshadowed by her stardom.

I have also heard a theory that Grace craved the love and attention of her father and wanted to please him desperately, so by marrying a Prince with constitutional power she's managed to marry well and please her dad. :rolleyes:

She was the most beautiful woman in the world imo. ;)

RoyalEnquirer 01-09-2006 12:01 AM

This is a very interesting subject. I think that is a very hard question to answer because we don't really know how these Prince and Princesses truly feel for each other. It is definitely possible that they are in love and happy, but its also possible that they aren't. Look at Charles and Diana's fairy tale romance. There is always more that goes on beneath the surface. I just hope that these royals are happy with their choices of husbands and wives and won't one day regret their decisions.

-Emily

Merca 01-09-2006 05:10 AM

I personally think that marriages since 1990s are mostly based on love and these arranged marriages are of the things of past. However, I do not believe that all these well-educated and professionally successful women who are the crown princesses today would have married a man who is less educated or less professionally successful than them.

Avalon 01-09-2006 06:51 AM

Well, I am pretty sure about a few royals.
1. Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall and Prince Charles of Wales. I am pretty sure that Camilla would marry Charles even if he weren't a Prince. In fact she didn't marry him becasue he was a Prince.
2. Crown Princess Maxima and Crown Prince Wilhelm-Alexander of the Netherlands. She loves him, whether he is a Prince or not. A perfect couple, if I have seen one.
3. Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Crown Prince Haakon of Norway. Nothing impossible for love...
4. Crown Princess Mathilde and Crown Prince Phillipe of Belgium. Another perfect couple. Phillipe and Mathilde were destined for each other.
6. Queen Rania of Jordan and King Abdullah. I believe she would marry him anyway. And he wasn't the heir to the throne at all when they married. They love each other.

I think that Frederik & Mary, Felipe & Letizia, Mabel & Johan Friso and loads of other Royals married because of love, not title.

politikgirl 01-11-2006 10:51 PM

I like to give them the benefit of the doubt and say that most of them did marry for love, not the title. Sure, the titles and wealth are enticing and probably help sway most of them (with a few exceptions) but I believe love was the main reason for most of the current royal couples. And I'm really disappointed that people speculate on things like this based on something as simple as pictures, videos, etc. when that's really what they act like in public, not in private.

EmpressRouge 01-12-2006 09:13 AM

I think the one person that probably truly married for the title was Diana, Princess of Wales. Not that she planned and calculated the whole thing, but given their age differences and their clash of personalities, it seems that Diana definitely fell in love with the idea of Charles and being a princess than the Charles himself.

fandesacs2003 01-12-2006 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmpressRouge
I think the one person that probably truly married for the title was Diana, Princess of Wales. Not that she planned and calculated the whole thing, but given their age differences and their clash of personalities, it seems that Diana definitely fell in love with the idea of Charles and being a princess than the Charles himself.

No i do not agree. Diana was very young and innocent, she really fell in love of Charles. Of course the idea being UK Queen have helped the dream, but do not forget how strong and respectable is monarchy in GB, especially 25 years ago, when all these mess and scandals did not exist.
If she was just calculating, she would not have been so upset and miserable about Charles cheeting her. A calculating woman does not care about being cheated, she stays married and keeps the title and honour :D


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises