The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Library (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f61/)
-   -   "There is Something about Crown Princess Mary" - Emma Tom, 2005 (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f61/there-is-something-about-crown-princess-mary-emma-tom-2005-a-8225.html)

Ethel 12-09-2005 07:28 PM

"There is Something about Crown Princess Mary" - Emma Tom, 2005

http://www.abc.net.au/northcoast/stories/s1526959.htm

This article came out yesterday. It's about the book on CP Mary that Emma Tom wrote.

Layla1971 12-10-2005 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethel
http://www.abc.net.au/northcoast/stories/s1526959.htm

This article came out yesterday. It's about the book on CP Mary that Emma Tom wrote.

Well, it gives a new angle to what the book will be about, but it still isn't right that anyone's privacy is invaded, least of all someone who's private details will be splashed across the tabloids. I won't be buying this book.:rolleyes:

Ethel 12-11-2005 09:11 PM

I absolutely agree, I wouldn't buy it either, that part where they describe how a private investigator went through the rubbish in her bin is just sick!!!

Margrethe II 12-11-2005 09:26 PM

I agree that the way information was gathered is much to be admired, but as I collect all books & collectables relating to the Crown Princess, I shall also be purchasing this aswell. As I have already read it (the book, through a lovely friend of mine) I know what to expect so wont be expecting any shocking revelations etc.

I am simply buying it because whats the point of collecting if you chose not to collect? ;) :)

"MII"

Toledo 12-11-2005 09:47 PM

Mandy, I found this from December 8th 2005, it's the most used headline title on Mary but in a new article on a book on her.
:confused: I don't know if it belongs here or if it was posted alreday but it has a photo of Mary before and after her life changed forever:

There is something about Crown Princess Mary
Thursday, 8 December 2005

Lillia 12-11-2005 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toledo
Mandy, I found this from December 8th 2005, it's the most used headline title on Mary but in a new article on a book on her.
:confused: I don't know if it belongs here or if it was posted alreday but it has a photo of Mary before and after her life changed forever:

Thursday, 8 December 2005

wow -- if that picture in the blue top is really one of CP Mary before she got married, then she has certainly changed her physique alot!

But it does not matter to me -- I still like her though! Still what a make-over she's had!!

Princess Maxima 12-11-2005 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillia
wow -- if that picture in the blue top is really one of CP Mary before she got married, then she has certainly changed her physique alot!

But it does not matter to me -- I still like her though! Still what a make-over she's had!!

Yes, that was teenager Mary

Toledo 12-11-2005 10:14 PM

She was just a kid then. I have pictures of me in my teens with hairstyles that no photoshop airbrush can rescue! Let's say I used to wear long, rock and roll, hair with no ears in sight .:D And let's not talk about bell bottoms!

I think I like Mary because of the whole My Fair Lady makeover. Her story is great, like a 21st Century version of Cinderella where she is Aussierella :)

Margrethe II 12-11-2005 10:58 PM

Quote:

I think I like Mary because of the whole My Fair Lady makeover. Her story is great, like a 21st Century version of Cinderella where she is Aussierella :)

Aussierella.lol. Good one Toledo ;) :D

Although the Crown Princess has made it publically known from the beginning that she (herself) does not think her life as a fairytale as it is something very real, we (the masses) cant help but be entranced by such a story.

Her Royal Highness has made a most amazing transition from middle class Australian commoner to Crown Princess & future Queen Consort of Europes oldest surviving Monarchy. It has also been so wonderful to watch the support Mary has recieved off not only her parents in-law, brother in-law and his ex wife (who obviously think of her very, very highly) but also Benedikte & Anna Maria's families grow and grow.

The Crown Princess has fitted in wonderfully and most importantly, they're happy and this shows.

"MII"

Toledo 12-11-2005 11:24 PM

I think she will do just fine as the years go by. They show how two persons can drastically change and move on to a different life. They both left the past behind and now that they have a child their perspective in life changes, there is more reason to look forward to the future with joy.

Margrethe II 12-11-2005 11:38 PM

Quote:

I think she will do just fine as the years go by. They show how two persons can drastically change and move on to a different life. They both left the past behind and now that they have a child their perspective in life changes, there is more reason to look forward to the future with joy.

Amen!!!

"MII"

Toledo 12-11-2005 11:41 PM

Before I log off for the night, nice to meet you, Margrethe II :)
I'll be back late tomorrow night.

Margrethe II 12-12-2005 12:16 AM

Quote:

Before I log off for the night, nice to meet you, Margrethe II :)
I'll be back late tomorrow night.

How lovely... same here Toledo :) ;)

Have a good one!

"MII"

Mandy 12-12-2005 12:48 AM

This thread has been created to discuss the book There is something about Crown Princess Mary. Relevant posts have already been moved here. At the same time, I hope that we can discuss Mary's evolution from the young Tasmanian woman into the Crown Princess of Denmark.

Since we wish to have a civil and open discussion, off-topic, rude and bashing posts will not be tolerated and will be immediately removed. Anyone wishing to join the discussion just to throw pointless barbs at Mary and other posters can expect serious consequences.

Please be kind to your fellow members and enjoy yourselves!

Toledo 12-13-2005 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margrethe II
How lovely... same here Toledo :) ;)

Have a good one!

"MII"

Thanks.
I did not notice Ethel had the same link posted above. The book is not available in my area of the planet, has anyone from Australia been able to see it in a bookstore to comment on it? Is the book dedicated to Mary? :confused:

Margrethe II 12-13-2005 12:58 AM

Quote:

Thanks.
I did not notice Ethel had the same link posted above. The book is not available in my area of the planet, has anyone from Australia been able to see it in a bookstore to comment on it? Is the book dedicated to Mary? :confused:

Good evening Toledo,

I have read the book (via my email) through a friend, and have not as of yet actually seen the book. I was going to buy it yesterday but have been told that my brothers fiance has bought it for me for Christmas.

"MII"

Toledo 12-13-2005 01:08 AM

Then I guess we will have to wait for your review since you could be the first, or only one, who can get a hold of the book.

14 days for Christmas and counting...:)

ysbel 12-13-2005 03:37 AM

Well if the main source of the book is her trash, I'd have to wonder how reliable the information inside is. The author would have to do a lot of interpreting to make a book out of it.

After Charles and Diana I don't believe in fairytales anymore but Mary is interesting to watch as is the whole Danish Royal Family. I find them a fascinating cast of characters.

They seem very down-to-earth with a flair for the theatrical from time to time which is very appealing. Actually I'd say Mary is the least interesting of the royals and that is by no means an insult - they're all very interesting.

Mary does seem to be fitting in the family which is miraculous considering she's had to adapt to a new country, learn a new language, and pick up a high profile role. I just hope that the DRF is more self-aware than the BRF when it comes to knowing who can make it in their family and who can't. But it seems they are.

Hotdog 12-13-2005 04:40 AM

I will give a summary of the book since I own a copy and have read it.

Emma Tom writing is neither saccharine sweet or completely anti-Mary.
She writes with a style that is satirical in nature.
At first it is amusing though after a few chapters it starts to grate like little kids dragging their nails across the blackboard to get a reaction.
eg an example of her "wit" is describing her hairdresser coming up to give her a "blow-job" when she knows that both Mary and the gentleman concerned are very attached to their respective husbands (yes he's gay).

There is little in the way of original information on mary as such.
The originality lies in her records of the length that the media has gone to to get dirt on Mary.
At least half the book is on the media and the publics reaction to Mary.

If "a brief history of an Australian And Danish Media Stampede" interests you then buy the book.
If you want new information on Mary then you will have to search through for the few meagre pickings.

IMO: In the long run this book will do a lot more for Mary than the PR department Ninka book as it puts on record the lengths the media went to to intrude into her life, the fact she came out sqeaky clean and how much she put up with to be with Frederik.

Hotdog

Margrethe II 12-13-2005 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotdog
I will give a summary of the book since I own a copy and have read it.

Emma Tom writing is neither saccharine sweet or completely anti-Mary.
She writes with a style that is satirical in nature.
At first it is amusing though after a few chapters it starts to grate like little kids dragging their nails across the blackboard to get a reaction.
eg an example of her "wit" is describing her hairdresser coming up to give her a "blow-job" when she knows that both Mary and the gentleman concerned are very attached to their respective husbands (yes he's gay).

There is little in the way of original information on mary as such.
The originality lies in her records of the length that the media has gone to to get dirt on Mary.
At least half the book is on the media and the publics reaction to Mary.

If "a brief history of an Australian And Danish Media Stampede" interests you then buy the book.
If you want new information on Mary then you will have to search through for the few meagre pickings.

IMO: In the long run this book will do a lot more for Mary than the PR department Ninka book as it puts on record the lengths the media went to to intrude into her life, the fact she came out sqeaky clean and how much she put up with to be with Frederik.

Hotdog

Thank you Hotdog for your very much appreciated analysis :)

"MII"