The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f38/)
-   -   Reasons for disliking Diana? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f38/reasons-for-disliking-diana-8116.html)

regardez 12-03-2005 01:57 PM

Reasons for disliking Diana?
 
I hope this thread is allowed. I didn't see anything specifically against it.

I was just wondering what some people's reasons for disliking Diana are (including courtiers, HM the Queen, and the general public).

Before I came to these boards I hadn't heard anything negative about her (besides her emotional problems) so I was curious about what specifically the reasons are.

I mean this stricly in an analytical and intellectual way (i.e. keeping the no name calling rule, etc.) I understand that sometimes people simply don't like a person, but if somebody has reasons (or knows what's been reported by the press about other people disliking her) I would be very interested in hearing it.

Claire 12-03-2005 02:22 PM

I think the first thing you have to realise is that Diana was human like all of us and was just as fallible as we all are. It is pointless to make her into a perfect human being, because noone is and Diana certainly wasn't.

I met Diana and worked with a number of people that me her and worked with her. She was very demanding and needed things to be done her way. Diana certainly had her bad days and I probably saw one. She was visiting a hospital in South Africa, she arrived late, and the press that had gathered wasn't big enough for her, which was was quite unhappy about. Then she turned at the gathered children and asked if there were sicker children available for her to have her photo taken with. I was not the only one who thought that this request was low. Well, then again which works better in PR a beautiful princess with a child that looks near death or ones that are terminally ill and look healthy.
I can certainly understand the press irratation with Diana. She would phone them - some young journalists that don't even cover royal isssues and have long talks over the phone. She would tell them about where is was and what she was doing. But when they arrived to take photos of the event or published the information - she would cry to the Queen and the Press Complaints Commission that they were invading her privacy. It always surprises me that people don't remember that she lied to the Queen and the PCC about her co-operation in the Andrew Morton book and even almost had her own brother-in-law fired, as she had accused him of been the leak from the palace.

Then there is the malevalent and vengful Diana who obviously felt that she had been done wrong by anybody that dared cross her path. She had members of staff fired from Buckingham Palace. Walking up to Tiggy, a friend of Prince Charles, William and Harry and assusing her of having an affair with Charles and apologising 'terrible sarcastically' about a supposed miscarraige, during a well attended royal function. I can understand why the staff thought she might be mentally unstable, the prank phone calls she made to the Queen Mother, for apparently ruining her life, to Camilla Parker Bowles. Even to Sophie Rhys-Jones because Diana believed that as the Queen liked Sophie more, she could became more popular with the British people. The sad thing is as royal telephones are monitored to find stalkers and such. Diana was easily found and the police could only shake their heads.
Diana did not like threats, anyone who threatened her popularity, status. She would find a way of ditching in the press: Sarah, Camilla, Sophie, Helen - even celebrities like Catherine Zeta Jones and Jill Dando.

Sad, actually that Diana was capable of such great things and than could also do this. So I really can't blame people who knew her and worked with her was saying that she had her faults. She was a complicated personality, that I believe was fianlly sorting things out.
But these are not reason to dislike Diana. We are too close to the events of her life and death to possibly make value judgements. In about fifty years from now when the whole truth of Diana is known, I would love to know what the world's historians make of her.

regardez 12-04-2005 03:36 AM

Thank you for your reply! That was very interesting. I had never heard any of that. The American press paints a perfect picture of Diana. Sometimes they would report that the royal family didn't like her but they wouldn't really say why. It is also interesting to hear what the every-day person thinks. It was interesting to hear those things I never knew about the prank calls

Margrethe II 12-04-2005 04:39 AM

Not doubting that you did infact meet Diana and others associated with/ working alongside her, but I find your comment about Diana turning to sick children and asking if there were any sicker ones she could have her photo taken with quite hard to believe (of course not saying it did'nt happen).

"MII"

Skydragon 12-04-2005 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire
She was visiting a hospital in South Africa, she arrived late, and the press that had gathered wasn't big enough for her, which was was quite unhappy about. Then she turned at the gathered children and asked if there were sicker children available for her to have her photo taken with. I was not the only one who thought that this request was low. Well, then again which works better in PR a beautiful princess with a child that looks near death or ones that are terminally ill and look healthy.
.

I can believe and relate to everything you say. I too have experience of this woman but, I think you are very brave to put your story on here!:)

ysbel 12-04-2005 07:44 AM

It's interesting to hear of your own meeting with Diana. Although we don't know how they are all the time and the comment about sicker children is hard to excuse, I think a lot of celebrities have 'off' days.

One very famous entertainer and a known lover of children visited a primary school in my hometown. I don't know the details of what happened but several teachers and parents were apparently upset at the way he treated the children and every time his name is brought up they still talk about it. This was 40 years ago. It made me think that being a much loved celebrity can be a tricky situation - every one has off days but unfortunately for a celebrity, people remember yours.

I still would hope that people wouldn't hate Diana or any other celebrity just because of meeting them one time or what they see in the news. Its still hard to know a person just from that.

skydragon, are you saying that you actually met Diana?

betina 12-04-2005 09:05 AM

I am not the biggest fan of Diana but I think it is bad to make a thread of why we not like her. She is dead and cant defend herself, so leave her alone in peace.

dakodas 12-04-2005 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betina
I am not the biggest fan of Diana but I think it is bad to make a thread of why we not like her. She is dead and cant defend herself, so leave her alone in peace.

By that argument history books should only report the good things that happened!

Smilla 12-04-2005 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betina
I am not the biggest fan of Diana but I think it is bad to make a thread of why we not like her. She is dead and cant defend herself, so leave her alone in peace.

If she had been an entirely "private" person I might agree, but since she was a person who lived her life in the limelight and was a public figure, I think her role can be analyzed and reassessed even if she is dead. Why not? That's what we do when we read biographies or historical books.

Britters 12-04-2005 12:18 PM

I don't actually dislike Diana-but I thought I'd comment on here to explain my position, as in some posts it may come off as disliking the Princess.

I believe Diana was a woman with GREAT potential to do unbelievable things, however I also believe the reports that she was severly emotionally troubled for whatever reason...therefore my problem comes in when Diana supporters make her into this saint that she wasn't. She was a human, who used the press to portray her in a good light...and while people go on and on about how great she was and how people should let her rest in peace, they can't seem to let her rest... (does that even make sense?)

At any rate, I think she did some amazing things for little known causes and should be recognized and commended for those efforts. However, she was also a young woman who had a lot more growing up to do before her death, and was by no means perfect.

ysbel 12-04-2005 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Britters

At any rate, I think she did some amazing things for little known causes and should be recognized and commended for those efforts. However, she was also a young woman who had a lot more growing up to do before her death, and was by no means perfect.

That makes sense Britters. At the same time, I would hope that nobody blames Diana or anyone else for the actions of other people that they don't directly control.

Elspeth 12-04-2005 12:27 PM

Well, I'm not sure how relevant it is that she's dead and can't defend herself because even if she was alive she'd be very unlikely to show up here and respond to critics. She also put her side of things out in the public domain for several years before her death, so it isn't as though we were unfamiliar with her side of things.

Having said that, I hope the posters here will restrict themselves to talking about their own opinions, as requested in the original post, and not let this thread descend into Diana bashing, Charles bashing, Camilla bashing, or fights with other members. Once that starts, the moderators will be editing or deleting offending posts. It seems as though Diana was a person who elicited strong reactions, both positive and negative, and an exploration of the latter is an appropriate topic of conversation as long as it stays calm and as objective as possible.

While we're well aware that this topic has been covered in previous threads, I don't think it serves any useful purpose to bring those threads up as examples of how not to conduct a conversation about a difficult topic. I'd very much rather see this thread turn into a good-faith attempt at discussing a difficult topic in the right way. I'm sure the members are up to the challenge if they stop and think before posting and don't just rush in with their raw emotions on their sleeves.

Skydragon, if you have any anecdotes about meeting Diana to report, please go ahead; that would be exactly the sort of post regardez was hoping for. Negative comments about other posters, however, are not what we're looking for. You'll probably notice that Claire is still alive and well after having made her post. I have every confidence that that state of affairs will continue.;)

Elspeth

British Royals moderator

corazon 12-04-2005 12:45 PM

diana not was saint or perfect, nobody is, she was human like all of us. we never said ''diana was perfect'' not is this way, but we defend her when the people said lies about her. We not talk for talk, we investigated ( i have 8 years and a little more investigating with different sources) and when I read some is lie I reply refend diana because in some case i know about i talking about, I not know diana from 1 year or one month.

Skydragon 12-04-2005 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspeth
Well, I'm not sure how relevant it is that she's dead and can't defend herself because even if she was alive she'd be very unlikely to show up here and respond to critics. She also put her side of things out in the public domain for several years before her death, so it isn't as though we were unfamiliar with her side of things.

Skydragon, if you have any anecdotes about meeting Diana to report, please go ahead; that would be exactly the sort of post regardez was hoping for. Negative comments about other posters, however, are not what we're looking for. You'll probably notice that Claire is still alive and well after having made her post. I have every confidence that that state of affairs will continue.;)

Elspeth

British Royals moderator

Apologies Elspeth and everyone else, I have duly edited my post.:)

corazon 12-04-2005 12:48 PM

may be the claire's story in africa is true, every of us have bads days, but I need say that was the another diana that visited hospital in the night when the press not was here. She have a very complicatred personality, she was very difficult to understand.

Elspeth 12-04-2005 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon
Apologies Elspeth and everyone else, I have duly edited my post.:)

Well, you haven't edited it to share your experiences, though. Surely they can't have been that bad!;)

Elspeth 12-04-2005 01:26 PM

Corazon, post 13 had better not be accusing anybody on this thread of lying.

This thread is not for defenders of Diana to square off against everybody else. It's for people who didn't like her (and/or who still don't like her) to explain why and to share experiences. You might remember that in Tiaraprin's Diana memorial thread we didn't allow detractors to show up and turn the thread into a fight. In the same way, we're not going to allow the Diana fans to turn this thread into a fight. We're all well aware that there are strong supporters of Diana out there. That isn't what this thread is about. Be warned.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator

corazon 12-04-2005 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspeth
Corazon, post 13 had better not be accusing anybody on this thread of lying.

This thread is not for defenders of Diana to square off against everybody else. It's for people who didn't like her (and/or who still don't like her) to explain why and to share experiences. You might remember that in Tiaraprin's Diana memorial thread we didn't allow detractors to show up and turn the thread into a fight. In the same way, we're not going to allow the Diana fans to turn this thread into a fight. We're all well aware that there are strong supporters of Diana out there. That isn't what this thread is about. Be warned.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator

I not said that HERE, i said in general, when in some place somebody said a lie (not only in forums, in papers too, in tv or radio) the diana fans will defend her. this not is a war, every can feel abiut diana diferent things, Many diana's fans see in diana MNAY diferent things. Many people don's like diana and this is ok.

Elspeth 12-04-2005 01:36 PM

Thank you for the clarification.

Now perhaps we can get back on topic?

corazon 12-04-2005 01:41 PM

;) you're welcome. Not all i said is personal. diana is a concept in general.
of course, we need back the topic.:)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises