The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   General Royal Discussion Archive (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f289/)
-   -   Royal 2005: what did you learn? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f289/royal-2005-what-did-you-learn-7947.html)

Lena 10-14-2005 04:33 AM

Royal 2005: what did you learn?

We have still 2.5 months left, but most of the year is over. So I wonder, what was surprising or "new" for you about the Royals in 2005?

Ok, here are mine:

-Camilla is damn good as duchess/princess...whatever.

-Prince William doesnīt seem to get caught in the prognosed "I date a woman like my mum"-trap
(In spite of "dirty Harry", I would say, that the british Royal family is back on the track)

-CP Phillippe and CP Mathilde are perfect parents...and only produce cute children. One simply canīt find a hair in the soup. These days one even canīt say Phillippe is dull. For me he came across quite funny in the past things, Iīve watched of him.

-CP Mary is a fashion doll and CP Frederik is quite lazy

-Princess Catharina-Amalia is growing to a beautiful child. Before I thought, sheīs cute (all babies are), but not beautiful.

-CP Willem-Alexander does speak perfect german (I know dutch ppl have it easy here...and he had a german father...but still...he doesnīt seem to have an accent)

-CP Haakon and CP Mette Marit hang around with Marie Chantal and Pavlos. (To realise, what Royals like about Marie Chantal will probably be the "thing to realise" in 2006...or 2007...2008...)

-The Spanish court really doesnīt seem to have intentions to give CP Letizia
solo-duties (or have I missed something :confused: )

-CP Victoria has also a bitchy side

-Princess Madeleine is much nicer, than Iīve thought

-CP Victoria and Daniel Westling write the unofficial unwritten book "Royals&dating" new and all my theories and prognoses are something for the dustbin

-To have illegitimate children is some kind of "en vogue" these days in Royal circles...at least itīs not a taboo anymore to admit that.

-Monarchies are something fascinating, but these days they are so contradictory, that only/still the Republic is the fairest of all possible (unfair) possibilities (Oh republic of Austria...forgive my ignorance in the past years ;) )

Aussie Princess 10-19-2005 06:43 AM

What makes you say that about CP Victoria? Did I miss some contraversial event?

Yolčne 10-19-2005 10:33 AM

Ja, I'm also interested in that "Victoria-thing".

CP Frederic is lazy, I don't know. Does he less work than other royals?
I'm not so sure about Mary. Sometimes she seems so unsophisticated. Perhaps she hasn't found her place and business yet. I think it is not so easy beeing royal, very beautiful (as princess you should be), down-to-earth ... simultaneously.

tiaraprin 10-19-2005 10:50 AM

Things I have realized about Royals in 2005:

Hell has frozen over in England with the marriage of Charles and Camilla. I wish hell hadn't frozen over.

A service of blessing after a civil marriage will absolve you from a divorce due to adultery.

norwegianne 10-19-2005 10:58 AM

I don't know... after you've been in this game a while, nothing much can surprise you. Sure, you might end up a bit cynical, but I can't recall having many royal surprises in the previous year.

One may be Märtha Louise choosing to give birth at home - but I wouldn't call it a real surprise. The surprise about it all may be the fact that Ari took pictures of the baby that looked halfway decent... ;)

Lena 10-19-2005 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Princess
What makes you say that about CP Victoria? Did I miss some contraversial event?

Iīm refering to several meetings with the press this year. In February an interview was broadcasted in which she persisted in an very unpleasant way on being adressed as "kronprinsessan"
In summer, she was guest at the wedding of Princess Anna zu Sayn-Wittgenstein and prince Manuel of Bayern. And obviously she wasnīt in the mood for getting photographed, which she also expressed sulking with "now you have gotten enough"
And the latest thing, you can read here:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...4&postcount=79

BeatrixFan 10-19-2005 11:40 AM

Re:

Hell has frozen over in England with the marriage of Charles and Camilla. I wish hell hadn't frozen over

Hmmm. I hadn't noticed. It was actually quite warm here over the weekend. I think that's a slight exaggeration.

Iīm refering to several meetings with the press this year. In February an interview was broadcasted in which she persisted in an very unpleasant way on being adressed as "kronprinsessan"

I must stick up for Victoria there. I find it awful the way the press shout out 'Victoria!' to get her to look at the cameras. Here in the UK, they generally shout, 'Sir' or 'Ma'am' - which is polite. She is Crown Princess and should be addressed appropriately.

"now you have gotten enough" - I don't think they need 50 shots of every engagement or appearance she makes. It's unnessecary and silly.

Harry's polo shirt 10-19-2005 11:51 PM

Things I realized in 2005:

1. I don't really like Prince William-he seems snobbish
2. Prince Philip will always rock
3. Camilla does have the ability to look elegant
4. Time does heal wounds-people will forget anything if you give a few years
5. Prince Carl Philip is drop dead gorgeous
6. Princess Mary is awsome
7. Prince Harry will always bring some excitment (good and bad) into my life

royaltywatcher 10-20-2005 12:19 AM

One of the great disappointments of 2005:

It doesn't pay to be a great princess and serve your country exceptionally well if you end up getting a divorce. However well Princess Alexandra and the RF of Denmark handled her divorce, she is still marginalized. And I thought she understood the role better than any princess in Europe, with the possible exception of Mathilde.

theprincess 10-20-2005 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royaltywatcher
One of the great disappointments of 2005:

It doesn't pay to be a great princess and serve your country exceptionally well if you end up getting a divorce. However well Princess Alexandra and the RF of Denmark handled her divorce, she is still marginalized. And I thought she understood the role better than any princess in Europe, with the possible exception of Mathilde.

I was just thinking the same thing when I was reading thread onPrincess Alexandra. I agree that she truly understands and represents what is is to a be a royal. It is sad that she will be stuck between being a royal and an ordinary person. If she had married a man who wasn't a prince and they got divorced, she would be able to go back to Hong Kong with her kids if that is what she wanted. Instead, she must stay in denmark because her kids are princes.

Margrethe II 10-20-2005 01:19 AM

HRH the Crown Princess Mary makes a brilliant Crown Princess.

HRH the Princess of the Asturias is a warmer person than what I originally thought.

HM the Queen Sonja really needs another parure, but seems to be getting more regal as she gets older.

HRH the Duchess of Cornwall really needs a different hairstyle, but has a rather good grasp of fashion, mostly. (or at least her stylers do.lol.)

Cant stand Prince Henry of Wales.

The Princely family of Monaco have much growing up to do.

Australia seemed to be a bit of a "hot spot" for royals this year. Thats us done for another 15 years or so.lol. (j/k)

HM the Queen Sophia would have to be the most down to earth and sincere royal there is. An amazingly beautiful woman both inside & out.

HRH the Prince of Wales means well.

HIM the Empress Michiko is so adorable.

galuhcandrakirana 10-20-2005 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lena
We have still 2.5 months left, but most of the year is over. So I wonder, what was surprising or "new" for you about the Royals in 2005?
-To have illegitimate children is some kind of "en vogue" these days in Royal circles...at least itīs not a taboo anymore to admit that.

the matter which is attached most in my mind about the present royal life, after Monaco and then Luxembourg.

Royal Fan 10-20-2005 10:18 PM

Why the comments about Frederik & Mary

caroline mathilda 10-20-2005 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margrethe II
HRH the Duchess of Cornwall really needs a different hairstyle.

Prince Charles, it is said, is the reason that her hairstyle never changes. He loves her look and she, naturally, wants to please him.

Royal Fan 10-20-2005 11:35 PM

i mean Frederik and Victoria not Mary

Lena 10-21-2005 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Fan
i mean Frederik and Victoria not Mary

For the case you mean me:

Firstly
No one has to agree (Iīm not one of these missionary posters, who want, that one likes/dislikes the Royals I like or dislike. Or that they agree in all with me)

Secondly
What Iīve written reflects, what Iīve read/heard in 2005 (e.g. Frederikīs schedule...or interviews with Victoria). It can easily be, that I change my mind in 2006. And I could also accept, that e.g. Frederik had busier times earlier.

Thirdly
I wonder, why ppl are surprised, when I write, that Victoria has a bitchy side (?)
IMO it would be rather abnormal not to have one. And that it comes out under pressure isnīt surprising.
Most very active members here got involved into cat fights, does this mean, they are all bad people?

Sancia 10-21-2005 06:22 AM

I realized:

Camilla can be perfectly regal and dress well
I still don't like Crown Prince Philippe and Crown Princess Mathilde
I've still mixed feelings with Crown Princess Mary

auntie 10-21-2005 07:06 AM

CP Haakon and MM are really bonded together, are of one mind more than ever.

Not yet sure about CP Mary, I have a nagging feeling that she loves the advantages of being royal more than th CP, and was quite manipulative during their courtship...

Royals sould stop complaining, wealth and glam does go with some headache.

Pavlos and MC are married 10 years WOW! I bet noone thought they could make it.

MC is all into this royalty thing, she even changed her style to look more regal.

The CP who least impresses me for good and bad is Letizia

That s it for now folks:cool:

juliamontague 10-22-2005 12:46 PM

Amalia gets cuter ( I didn't think she was very cute last year. Sorry for that Amalia)
We will not have only girls in the next generation ( I hoped for only Queens ;-) )

Lady Jennifer 10-22-2005 01:08 PM

Just a few things really:

Camilla & Charles complement each other. And considering everything that people have said in the past & even what they will say in the future, Camilla is doing a good job with her new life. She doesn't try to be flashy, she doesn't try to flaunt her status & she seems to know what she is doing.

The Casiraghi children seem to be kinda snobby. Just from looking at pics. of them they have that "I'm better than you" attitude (JMHO- no offense to anyone who is a fan of theirs). They don't like to smile either.

Prince Carl Phillip & Peter Phillips keep getting cuter as the years go on.

carlota 10-22-2005 01:10 PM

great thread!!

i also want to know about victoria's "bitchy side" :)

i noticed as well that fred is becoming quite lazy :) while mary does a lot of work. about her fashion doll thing, i really agree on that. sometimes she does seem to spend a lot of money in clothes but she doesn't really look that good (i mean, she looks good, but with the money she seems to spend she can do a lot better).

agree with most of you about camilla as well. my opinion changed sooo much since they married! she is doing and absolutely great job, but at the same time she doesn't "shadow" charles. she also dresses great and has lovely hats :)

prince henry is becoming a mature young boy who seems to have a lot of good things we couldn't see before. :)

rania is a great queen, a great woman and is doing a great role as royal. she has got a great combination of qualities.

ROYAL BABY BOOM: lots of pregnancies (many crown princesses pregnant) and lots of cute babies this year: leah isadora, prince hashim, irene urdangarin, princess alexia, cute carlos morales, prince emmanuel, frederik and mary's baby, and one more future king/queen in spain who will obviously be beautiful (handsome dad, beautiful mum). :)

Lena 10-22-2005 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlota
great thread!!

i also want to know about victoria's "bitchy side" :)

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...21&postcount=6 ;)

Genevieve 11-05-2005 07:58 PM

Quote:

Ok, here are mine:

-Camilla is damn good as duchess/princess...whatever.

I think has surprised everyone. Maybe even the Queen too! But Amen to the Duchess being excellent at her job.

Quote:

-Prince William doesnīt seem to get caught in the prognosed "I date a woman like my mum"-trap
(In spite of "dirty Harry", I would say, that the british Royal family is back on the track)

Thank goodness for that! William dating someone like Diana with all of her emotional insecurities and her desire to be in the limelight would undo the good work that Charles and Camilla are able to carry on now.

I would add about "dirty Harry" that Sandhurst seems to be straightening him out thankfully. If only he could be rid of Chelsea ...

Quote:

-CP Phillippe and CP Mathilde are perfect parents...and only produce cute children. One simply canīt find a hair in the soup. These days one even canīt say Phillippe is dull. For me he came across quite funny in the past things, Iīve watched of him.

These days Phillippe is absolutely glowing. Being a husband was a turning point for him, but becoming a father was the cherry on top of the ice cream that make him more rounded rather than flat and dull. Who can resist a man who looks so adoringly at his new son? http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...7&d=1128982107

Quote:

-CP Mary is a fashion doll and CP Frederik is quite lazy

I think it is more than Frederik being lazy. I think it's the majority of the Danish royal family who is quite lazy. We hardly ever seen Margrethe, Henrik, Frederik and Joachim out on royal duties. Now that Mary is on maternity leave, only Alexandra represents the family.

Quote:

-CP Haakon and CP Mette Marit hang around with Marie Chantal and Pavlos. (To realise, what Royals like about Marie Chantal will probably be the "thing to realise" in 2006...or 2007...2008...)

I find it very surprising that Haakon and Mette-Marit are so jet set. They have spent holidays with Marie Chantal, with Valentino, Rosario and Kyril, Cristina and Inaki, Gwyneth Paltrow. Mette-Marit seemed so shy when she came on the scene. Now she is Miss Popularity and Miss Social Butterfuly.

Quote:

-CP Victoria has also a bitchy side

Too bad that side of her doesn't rear its head more often. It might make it more entertaining.

I have also realized that Victoria's ponytail seems to be a permanent fixture on her head like tattoed eyebrows or lipstick.

Quote:

Call it progress but progress that I would say is backwards if that makes sense. To be able to talk about it publicly rather than hiding the mom and child away is a step in the right direction. But the step backwards is how these people (Albert and Nicole, Caroline and Ernst, Stephanie and Daniel, Louis and his girlfriend, Emmanuel and Clotilde) couldn't be proactive to use protection in the first place.

LaChicaMadrilena 11-06-2005 12:54 PM

What have I realised in 2005? That I'm not very good in predictions about the sex of royal babys!:D I thought Mary will have a girl and Maxima and Letizia- boys. Maybe I'll have a chance to improve myself in 2006...:D

Skydragon 11-06-2005 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Hell has frozen over in England with the marriage of Charles and Camilla.

2005 has shown that HRH Prince Charles and HRH Camilla have, with their long delayed wedding brought sunshine to the United Kingdom. We have had heatwaves (for us) here.
Just goes to show that love can conquer all.:)

Lena 11-06-2005 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon
2005 has shown that HRH Prince Charles and HRH Camilla have, with their long delayed wedding brought sunshine to the United Kingdom. We have had heatwaves (for us) here.
Just goes to show that love can conquer all.:)

I couldnīt agree more. Itīs weird...but for me their love story is one of the few "real" ones.

pollyemma 11-15-2005 10:59 AM

Royal 2005: what did you learn?

1. I’ve realized what an amazing royal lady Camilla has turned out to be. She is elegantly dressed and has great raporre with the people. She is the perfect partner for Charles.

2. I’ve totally changed my mind about Mette Marit. I was not very happy when Haakon married her, but she has turned out to be a fantastic princess. She has worked hard to adjust to her new role. I also love her clothes.

Anyone else care to share their 2005 revelations?

Jil 11-16-2005 08:01 AM

I realized:
*I still do not like Camilla.
*There are Romanov relatives living in Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.
*Too many royals are living together.
*Too many royals are divorced or separated.

pollyemma 11-16-2005 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genevieve
I have also realized that Victoria's ponytail seems to be a permanent fixture on her head like tattoed eyebrows or lipstick.

Yeah, I've realized that too this year. when she was younger, Victoria did more experimenting with her hairstyles. now it seems she's become one of those old ladies who always has the exact same hairdo everyday!

Victoria, you're only 28! you're young! you're free! live a little!

BeatrixFan 11-16-2005 09:35 AM

* I've realised that love is blind where people worship is concerned
* I've realised that there are more Catholic Royals out there than I thought
* I've realised that King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie of Greece only live down the road
* I've realised that Camilla makes a fabulous member of the Royal Family
*I've realised that Queen Beatrix is the jolliest monarch

pollyemma 11-16-2005 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
*I've realised that Queen Beatrix is the jolliest monarch

that is undoubtedly the first time I've ever heard the word jolly used in reference to Beatrix...

personally i think it's better suited for Margarethe.

BeatrixFan 11-16-2005 10:36 AM

Really? I think that Beatrix is higher in the jolly stakes. She seems to me to be a jolly grandmother with a happy smile, a daft hat and a great manner. When I see her, I smile - and that can't be a bad thing. But I suppose it could be used in connection with Margrethe too.

pollyemma 11-16-2005 10:38 AM

Beatrix is also very dignified and regal.(so is Margarethe, but in a different way)

when I see Beatrix, I definitely smile, but i'm also reverential.

Princess Maxima 11-16-2005 11:07 AM

-Mary and Máxima are great as Crown Princesses
-victoria really loves daniel
-I still do not like Camilla
-Harry is becomig a little more mature.
-Fred is lazy, lazy, lazy..but great father.

pollyemma 11-16-2005 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Maxima
-Harry is becomig a little more mature.
-Fred is lazy, lazy, lazy..but great father.

yeah, its wonderful to see harry's maturing. i really liked the interview he gave. i hope the military will continue to improve his personal discipline.

i'm with you that Fred is lazy when it comes to his royal duties. though, we should remember that he is not lazy in other areas. he was in the elite frogman corps (i think thats what its called) and he has voluntarily undertaken all sorts of grueling athletic challenges.

if only he'd channel some of that energy into his duties.

Maxie 11-16-2005 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
I've realised that Queen Beatrix is the jolliest monarch

She's indeed becoming jollier and jollier every day. The last couple of months she just looks radiant! I think her life as grandmother suits her well! But I have to agree with Pollyemma too. I have always known the Queen as very dignified and regal. That's why I like her jolly smiles so much, I think. ;)

Next to that I'm really surprised by finding myself quite impressed by the way Camilla handles her royal duties. I'm actually starting to like her! ;)

Next to these two points I figured out a lot of things about Royalty. Merely histories and family trees and great stories about them. I'm very glad I discovered the forums! :D

SpiffyBallerina 11-16-2005 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genevieve
I think it is more than Frederik being lazy. I think it's the majority of the Danish royal family who is quite lazy. We hardly ever seen Margrethe, Henrik, Frederik and Joachim out on royal duties. Now that Mary is on maternity leave, only Alexandra represents the family.

I disagree. I watched a movie (released around the F&M engagement period) that follows the day-to-day life of Queen Margrethe. She works VERY hard and she's ALWAYS busy. The difference between her and say, Queen Beatrix, is that Beatrix relates to her people and her position in the masses whereas Queen Margrethe seems to prefer to deal with people, groups, and organizations in a closer atmosphere so she can really get to know their positions. It's a different way to be with the people, but I believe both ways are valuable. We SEE more of some royals and therefore we think they're DOING more than the others, but that is not necessarily true.

As for the other members of the family: I think Mary needs to branch out from fashion. It is a Danish cause, but there are far more pressing matters in the world today. I'm not saying she should ABANDON the Danish fashion stuff, but she really needs to get out there and do more for social issues. Joachim doesn't do much. I think the "spare" roll allows for that though. Frederik could do more, but he's so sweet and he looks like he's trying very hard whenever we do see him. Henrik...I'm not a fan. I don't know what he does and I really don't care. I've learned that Alexandra, although not in the royal house anymore, does more to represent the royal house than any of the other members (other than the queen who really IS the house:p ) and she does it with style, dignity and grace.

Piewi 11-16-2005 05:24 PM

First of all i discover royalty LOL
I´ve also realised:
-Carl-Philip is hot
-I still don´t like Camilla, my opinion about her is even worse.
-Harry seems to being more mature
-Maxima Letizia and Mary are very good princesses.
-I love the trio Casiraghi
-I like Princess Stephanie, she is natural

LadyLouise 11-16-2005 05:39 PM

That no matter what, royals are still human.
They eat and breathe and have feelings the same as all us commoners.
They are not that different after all.

azile 11-17-2005 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyLouise
That no matter what, royals are still human.
They eat and breathe and have feelings the same as all us commoners.
They are not that different after all.

AMEN! Past years have certainly brought more glimpses of the simple humanity (good and bad!) of royals.

Aside from this, a few things are also clear:

1. Charles was one of the last heirs forced into marrying the "right" aristocratic girl; whilst there seems to have been love between him and Diana, there is such happiness that shines from him now that he is finally free to be with Camilla. Lesson? Royal marriages are now more forgiving and flexible.

2. Not all royal marriages are the fairy tales that they appear to be. Alexandra and Joachim were admired, yet the separateness of thier lives is now revealed. Lesson? Fairy tales are sometimes only illusion.

3. Letizia has received considerable backlash and negative press, accused of being cold and rude. Over the past year, however, she has repeatedly shown a warmth and compassion that many of us are starting to admire. Mette Marit also has had her share of bad press, yet looked and acted beautifully- the perfect model of a princess- a few weeks ago while on tour in England. And the best example- "horsey" Camilla is blossoming into an elegant and warm duchess who is doing a great job. She has handled her first tiara, first overseas tour and many other firsts with great success this year. Lesson? Royals are not doomed to the criticism we project onto them.

That's all I know! Not much, but still there.

Eliza

Ava Elizabeth 11-17-2005 10:00 AM

- CP Mary jst gets more and more beautiful
- CP Frederik just gets more and more handsome
- Prince William is a really great guy, but he seems a bit dull.
- I actually like Kate Middleton.
- Prince Harry is just so gorgeous!!
- Camilla does a very good job as a duchess
- Prince Charles actually does have a heart, and is not the bitter, cold man I always thought he was.
- Charlotte Casiraghi was much more beautiful when she was in her teens (not that she's not stunning now, cause she is. I wish I looked like her, but IMO Charlotte was so absolutely gorgeous when she was about 16) plus she seems quite arrogant.
- I don't like Princess Alexandra as I used to. She used to be the image of the perfect princess, but after all the rumours about her cheating on P Joachim I'm not so sure....
- I like PRince Philip more and more, he has the best sence of humour!!
- Princess Madeleine seems very sweet, and not the brat I thought she was.
- CP Frederik is such a gorgeous guy, while I used to think CP Felipe was the most handsome royal man.
I guess that was it....=)

purple_platinum 11-17-2005 10:53 AM

2 things i didn't realised on the royal friendship until the day of their children' christenings :
- Martha Louise is close with Laurentien thus making her Leah Isadora's godmother
- Pavlos & Marie-Chantal is close with Mette-Marit thus making her Odysseus Kimon's godmother

suturegeisha 11-17-2005 11:18 PM

What a great thread. :)

What I've realized:
1] Camilla has shocked me- she is a wonderful royal. Elegant, warm, and even attractive [for her age]! She fits the bill for Charles so perfectly. I'm glad to see them happy together at last.

2] I really don't like CPss Mary. :o She seems like all she is concerned about is fashion and clothes and spending Fred's [and Margie's] money. On that note, I agree with everyone else- Fred is lazy, lazy, lazy. And Henrik looks like such a....dork! :p [By the way, if you've ever read Archie comics, did you know that Archie's parent's names are Fred and Mary? Maybe the CP and CPss should name the Lilleprins "Archie"! That would be a hoot!]

3] I still don't like the Greek royals, with the possible exceptions of Anne Marie [she looks like she just kind of goes along with Constantine], Theodora [pretty and elegant!] and Philippos [I don't know enough about him for him to irritate me like his brothers]. I think they ought to face facts that they're never getting their throne back- and they need to quit acting like the Greek government is going to hand over their crown tomorrow.

4] Queen Beatrix just makes me smile every time I see her. She is truly what I would call a perfect queen. Friendly and warm and regal, all at the same time. I love her to bits! :D And her hats are fabulous- I don't care what anyone says.

5] Maxima has really surprised me with her maturity and good nature. Beatrix will be a hard act to follow but I think she is up for the challenge. She is very hard working and has adjusted to royal life so well. Willem-Alexander should be very proud of her!

6] Catharina Amalia has blossomed into such a baby doll! I hate to say this, but I never thought she was an attractive child- cute, but not beautiful. She is totally gorgeous now! She'll be breaking some hearts in about twenty years. :)

7] Prince Louis and his girlfriend have sorely disappointed me. I love the Luxembourg Royal Family, and I still love Louis, but I'd like to grab him by the shoulders, shake him like a British nanny, and yell "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? YOU'VE RUINED YOUR LIFE!" I bet Maria Teresa had a stroke when she found out she would be a grandmother before she turned 50.

8] I have come to the conclusion that Princess Mathilde is a robot. The woman never makes a mistake! She can't be human! I like her, though. She seems to have helped Philippe mature- a lot.

9] I like Crown Princess Victoria more and more and more. I think she'll be a great queen. Although, that ponytail needs to go. Adios.

10] Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte was surprisingly sickly throughout her life, something I never knew about. She was also not the frigid autocrat I once pictured her as, but a delightful and funny woman. I miss her.

11] I still think Prince Laurent needs to do some growing up- although marriage and family seem to have had a positive impact on him.

12] I pity Prince Albert. He has a hard road ahead of him. Princess Stephanie really needs to start taking better care of herself- she looks twenty years older than she actually is! Princess Caroline seems like such a...um....snotface? As do her husband and children [except for Alexandra].

13] Prince William is a lot snobbier than I originally thought. I also think he needs to take on more royal duties and stop playing polo 24/7. I've never liked Harry, so that's a moot point. :p

14] Queen Sofia has surprised me with her acceptance of Letizia [who I love!]. Maybe it's just that she always seemed like such a hard-to-please mother- you know, one that thinks no girl will be good enough for her baby boy. I see now that's not true. And I like it!

15] It troubles me that Haakon and Mette-Marit have become such social butterflies. I hope they don't lose focus on their royal duties.

16] I've found that I like CP Aleksandar of Serbia, and I would love to see him become the king. I think it will happen.

17] I feel so sorry for King Michael of Romania. He is a wonderful man with awful relatives. And his wife, Queen Anne, is so adorable! I'd love to have tea with her.

18] The exiled royals of Italy have never impressed me, but I think over the past year my view of them has deteriorated a lot more. Especially the little episode between Victor Emmanuele and Amedeo at Felipe & Letizia's wedding. How immature.

19] The Duchess of Calabria seriously needs a lip reduction. She looks like a Muppet. And she needs some fashion sense drilled into her.

20] I wish we saw more of the Liechtenstein royals, especially Alois and Sophie- they're so cute together. And I love Princess Marie [Hans-Adam's wife]. She's such a sweet woman.

Wow! I can talk! :p

princess olga 11-18-2005 02:19 AM

*I agree about Camilla. I'm a huge Diana fan, but, truth be told, Camilla is a perfect match for Charles. In fact, I would vote Camilla ROYAL OF THE YEAR if such an award existed.

*I also learned that many of you have the impression that Frederik of Denmark is lazy. I don't really follow him that closely, so forgive my naivete: why does everyone say this? Could it be that the media just doesn't follow him like they follow Mary?

*I've also learned that I actually like Letizia. She is what she is: a strong, opinionated person with a good brain. What I like is that she doesn't hide who she is behind a mask of hypocricy (sp?!). Unlike Mary, who--sorry Mary fans-- I find coming across as unoriginal, a goody-two-shoes, politically correct to a fault (ok one can't maybe blame her for that), but overall..seemingly vacant somehow. Except for her style in clothes, which I like.

*Speaking about lazy...I've said many times on this board I found the Dutch crown princely couple lazy. And that used to be true: they would take such an extraordinary amount of vacations that the Dutch press started commenting about it. And then the unthinkable happened: they started working harder! And noticebly so! It was about time, if you ask me.

*The other royal deserving an award...princess Alexandra! The opposite of lazy. The picture of dignity, of courage and grace under pressure. Definitely the other Royal of the Year!

*Royals who I learned <are> probably actually snooty:
--William
--Casiraghi trio
--Caroline
--Mary of Denmark (because she has said she thinks her becoming queen must have been written in the stars, how self-entitled does that sound!! And that chin! Always up facing sky high. What is she trying to do, show her face to the aliens on Mars? Hello Mary, please come back to Earth already!)

*Royals who I learned are probably not snooty after all
--Maxima
--Letizia

And I agree that princess Mathilde never ever makes a wrong move! That girl is <the> perfect princess, the only one of the crop who could truly match the unbeatable Diana of Wales or Grace of Monaco.

Margrethe II 11-18-2005 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suturegeisha
What a great thread. :)
What I've realized:Wow! I can talk! :p

Yeah.... you certainly can...

"MII"

Von Schlesian 11-18-2005 03:37 AM

Quote:

I think they ought to face facts that they're never getting their throne back- and they need to quit acting like the Greek government is going to hand over their crown tomorrow.

Guess what? They know. HM King Constantine II told a mutual friend back in 2001 that Greece would restore the monarchy when he grew a sixth toe. The Greek Royal family aren't fighting for restoration, but many of their international supporters are..

suturegeisha 11-18-2005 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Von Schlesian
Guess what? They know. HM King Constantine II told a mutual friend back in 2001 that Greece would restore the monarchy when he grew a sixth toe. The Greek Royal family aren't fighting for restoration, but many of their international supporters are..

Thanks for the info. You'd never be able to tell that from the way they act.

pollyemma 11-18-2005 09:31 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. You'd never be able to tell that from the way they act.

Constantine never struck me as being so stupid he doesnt realize the monarchy won't be restored. he obviously cant say that in public because it would erode his support base but i'm sure he's bringing his kids up to earn their own livings as commoners.

i think he just has fun needling the greek government by doing things like calling himself the 'King of the Hellenes' on his kids' wedding invitations. but its not because he actually thinks he'll be restored one day.

SpiffyBallerina 11-18-2005 10:48 AM

I don't think the Greek RF has any ideas in their head about restoration of the monarchy. King Constantine probably did for a long time, and who could blame him? But all of his children have certainly accepted it (except maybe in-law MC who would LOVE to be in a reigning family) and they live normal lives.

pollyemma 11-18-2005 12:04 PM

Quote:

8] I have come to the conclusion that Princess Mathilde is a robot. The woman never makes a mistake! She can't be human! I like her, though. She seems to have helped Philippe mature- a lot.

maxima also never makes a mistake and no one is calling her a robot!

SpiffyBallerina 11-18-2005 02:02 PM

She's too animated to be a robot. :)

suturegeisha 11-18-2005 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiffyBallerina
She's too animated to be a robot. :)

My sentiments exactly! :p

princess olga 11-18-2005 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollyemma
maxima also never makes a mistake and no one is calling her a robot!

Maxima and no mistake? Hmmm. I take it you haven't had a chance to watch the interview with her and Alexander right before their wedding, in which she said that when her father (who was a minister in the Argentinian Videla 'government', one of the worst regimes in terms of human rights violations the late 20th century has witnessed) told her that he really had had no idea when he was in the Videla regime that they were murdering innocent people by the thousands, that she believed him because why would he lie about that!!

That's a huge mistake at least from a PR standpoint.
and I won't mention the picture where she is blowing smoke into the direction of then-infant Eloise. Also not very wise from public relations point of view.

But anyways, no one has an answer for me as to why you all seem to think Frederik of Denmark is lazy? Can someone elaborate? Is he lazier than, say, prince Phillipe of belgium? Or than Haakon? How does his supposed laziness manifest itself? Curious minds would like to know! :)

Layla1971 11-19-2005 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princess olga
Maxima and no mistake? Hmmm. I take it you haven't had a chance to watch the interview with her and Alexander right before their wedding, in which she said that when her father (who was a minister in the Argentinian Videla 'government', one of the worst regimes in terms of human rights violations the late 20th century has witnessed) told her that he really had had no idea when he was in the Videla regime that they were murdering innocent people by the thousands, that she believed him because why would he lie about that!!

That's a huge mistake at least from a PR standpoint.
and I won't mention the picture where she is blowing smoke into the direction of then-infant Eloise. Also not very wise from public relations point of view.

But anyways, no one has an answer for me as to why you all seem to think Frederik of Denmark is lazy? Can someone elaborate? Is he lazier than, say, prince Phillipe of belgium? Or than Haakon? How does his supposed laziness manifest itself? Curious minds would like to know! :)

Maxima only said that to let people know that she loved and trusted her father. It wasn't bad PR, the public knew the truth about him and the wanted the truth (which is that she does love her father regardless of his crimes).

I've never heard of the smoking incident, but the photo could have been taken from an angle that made it look like she was blowing smoke in infant's direction when she wasn't. You know it's all about angles in the media.

And, I think that Frederik isn't lazy, he is just seen on vacation and on sporting visits more often than other Crown Prince's.

Frederik isn't lazy, IMO.

Maxie 11-19-2005 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Layla1971
Maxima only said that to let people know that she loved and trusted her father. It wasn't bad PR, the public knew the truth about him and the wanted the truth (which is that she does love her father regardless of his crimes).

That wasn't bad PR indeed. Before the engagement there were quite a few people in the Netherlands who didn't like the idea of our crown prince marrying the daughter of a man who had had connections with the Junta regime. After the interview where Maxima told the people she believed her father, she also claimed that she distanced herself from everything the Junta regime had done. That was all the people wanted to know, I guess. When they played the tango 'Adios Nonino' (goodbye father) at the wedding already half of the country was crying with Máxima because her father wasn't allowed to be at the wedding. You can discuss whether his absence was good or bad (I myself think it was a bit harsh, but of course a very logical thing to do), but the whole case wasn't bad PR. Within no time Máxima became the most popular member of the DRF in our country. :) Thanks to her own personality, but also thanks to the way she was presented to our people at first. I would never have guessed her to become popular so fast, because I didn't like her at all at first...

I think me realizing that Máxima wasn't that bad at all was something that could have been in a thread named 'What did you realize about the royals in 2002?' or something like that. :D

Margrethe II 11-19-2005 02:38 AM

HRH the Crown Prince Frederik attends many engagements that are not shown on his official calender. Not every single function is noted.

To call him lazy is to me, a very poor and unjustified remark that has no substance whatsoever.

"MII"

Layla1971 11-19-2005 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxie
That wasn't bad PR indeed. Before the engagement there were quite a few people in the Netherlands who didn't like the idea of our crown prince marrying the daughter of a man who had had connections with the Junta regime. After the interview where Maxima told the people she believed her father, she also claimed that she distanced herself from everything the Junta regime had done. That was all the people wanted to know, I guess. When they played the tango 'Adios Nonino' (goodbye father) at the wedding already half of the country was crying with M&#225;xima because her father wasn't allowed to be at the wedding. You can discuss whether his absence was good or bad (I myself think it was a bit harsh, but of course a very logical thing to do), but the whole case wasn't bad PR. Within no time M&#225;xima became the most popular member of the DRF in our country. :) Thanks to her own personality, but also thanks to the way she was presented to our people at first. I would never have guessed her to become popular so fast, because I didn't like her at all at first...

I think me realizing that M&#225;xima wasn't that bad at all was something that could have been in a thread named 'What did you realize about the royals in 2002?' or something like that. :D

So I was right? If so, it's the first time! For a second I thought I'd offended you!;) :D But, I didn't know much about Maxima until her wedding and even then all I heard was that she was from Argentina and her father was banned from the wedding for human rights violations

I really like Maxima now, but I must admit I didn't know how to take her in the start.

Ava Elizabeth 11-19-2005 05:25 AM

I agree with the others. CP Frederik is not lazy, he attends several engagements every month. It's just a reputation he has got, which I think has something to do with the fact that before he got married, he was nicknamed "Turbo prince" ( that he lived a jet-set life with beautiful women, fast cars, lots of vacations).
I think Frederik is a great representant for Denmark, and he does loads of work!

norwegianne 11-19-2005 06:13 AM

I don't think anybody in the Danish royal family can be termed lazy - I've seen it most often applied to CP Frederik or Prince Joachim. As mentioned above, Frederik, as well as the others, have several engagements that aren't noted on the calendar, in addition to the time to prepare for his engagements.

And Joachim is running a farm in addition to his royal engagements. Just because you don't see pictures of someone doing something, it doesn't mean that they are lazy.

Maxie 11-19-2005 08:33 AM

Quote:

So I was right? If so, it's the first time! For a second I thought I'd offended you!;) :D But, I didn't know much about Maxima until her wedding and even then all I heard was that she was from Argentina and her father was banned from the wedding for human rights violations

I really like Maxima now, but I must admit I didn't know how to take her in the start.

You offended me? Hahaha, not at all! I totally agreed with you. There must be something wrong with my english, I guess. Comme d'habitude as the french say... :p

Princejohnny25 11-20-2005 03:21 PM

The things that I have learned.

1. Camilla has completley won me over. Wow, she is a great royal. Warm, funny, and very charming. An elegant dresser too. I remember saying the nastiest things about her for no reason. Charles also seems much more fun and happy these days.

2. I dont think Federick is lazy. He just doesnt get in the press a lot like his wife. Mary is metioned more becasue want to see what she wears. Fashion can really help an image. I think the danish royal family do their fair share.

3.Princess Alexandra is the model princess. All princess should study her growing up and women marring into RF should study her too. She is such a good princess. A great asset to Denmark. The divorce was handles perfectly.

I think a thread and voting should be done on the Best Royal of 2005. It would be a really close fight between Camilla and Alexandra for me.

Smilla 11-20-2005 03:40 PM

Quote:

-Monarchies are something fascinating, but these days they are so contradictory, that only/still the Republic is the fairest of all possible (unfair) possibilities (Oh republic of Austria...forgive my ignorance in the past years ;) )

Lena, would you really have liked Austria to be a monarchy? (As a fellow Austrian, I simply couldn't come up with a single suitable candidate for king or queen. I wonder who you'd pick.)

Lena 11-20-2005 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smilla
Lena, would you really have liked Austria to be a monarchy? (As a fellow Austrian, I simply couldn't come up with a single suitable candidate for king or queen. I wonder who you'd pick.)

I couldnīt either :D Maybe Otto of Habsburg wouldnīt have been bad. But his children are all so aloof, not to speak of Francesca.
So my idea was rather abstract and based on the theory, that the Monarchy would have been kept after 1918 (which is impossible of course)
On a lighter note: why not making Karl Heinz Grasser to a prince, he already gets the popularity of one and he would know how to produce a "Scandal Royal" ;)

Smilla 11-20-2005 03:51 PM

Quote:

why not making Karl Heinz Grasser to a prince, he already gets the popularity of one and he would know how to produce a "Scandal Royal" ;)

I'm sure he would be awfully pleased about your suggestion...especially since hello magazine actually wrote an article about his wedding - but pleeeease, nooooo!

princess olga 11-20-2005 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smilla

Well it looks like if it would be up to the tabloids, Fiona Swarovski and her brand new husband KH Grasser would be the top candidates! ;)

And PrinceJohnny25, I couldn't agree more with everything you've just said! Camilla and Alexandra, a close tie for Royal of the Year indeed!

And as for whether or not those instances I mentioned re. Maxima were PR mistakes, I stand by my opinion that they were. ;) Still don't like Maxima that much, either. Which brings me to something else I'd actually realized this year: I really appreciate Laurentien. What a great person she seems to be, ok, bar her hidious fashion sense. But even that, she's just completely her quirky self and I like that. :)

Layla1971 11-20-2005 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxie
You offended me? Hahaha, not at all! I totally agreed with you. There must be something wrong with my english, I guess. Comme d'habitude as the french say... :p

No there's nothing wrong with your english! I'm just being extra careful not to offend anyone, since I've been known to do that here! (unintentionally of course!);) :p

princess olga 11-20-2005 08:41 PM

woops, Lena, I see you scooped my KH Grasser joke! :)

I'm sure however he'd feel worthy of his own thread on our Forum! ;) (Which we're not gonna give him!)

Layla1971 11-20-2005 08:51 PM

Quote:

woops, Lena, I see you scooped my KH Grasser joke! :)

I'm sure however he'd feel worthy of his own thread on our Forum! ;) (Which we're not gonna give him!)

Ok, it's off-topic but who is this KH Grasser?:confused: And, why does Austria have such strong feelings against him?:confused:

selrahc4 11-21-2005 12:03 PM

Quote:

Which brings me to something else I'd actually realized this year: I really appreciate Laurentien. What a great person she seems to be, ok, bar her hidious fashion sense. But even that, she's just completely her quirky self and I like that. :)

Yes! For the first time in my life (fairly long...don't really want to say how many years :o ), I find that I have a special liking for a royal outside the British family, and that is Princess Laurentien. Her friendly face and lovely smile spoke to me out of pictures. Then, when I read about her I was delighted to realize that my instinct in liking her was justified. She seems to be a person of character and dignity and warmth.

pollyemma 11-21-2005 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selrahc4
Yes! For the first time in my life (fairly long...don't really want to say how many years :o ), I find that I have a special liking for a royal outside the British family, and that is Princess Laurentien. Her friendly face and lovely smile spoke to me out of pictures. Then, when I read about her I was delighted to realize that my instinct in liking her was justified. She seems to be a person of character and dignity and warmth.

indeed, super nice, super smart, super bad taste.

magnik 11-21-2005 12:25 PM

Everything can happen good and bad:) :mad: :cool: :confused:

princess olga 11-21-2005 02:40 PM

Quote:

Ok, it's off-topic but who is this KH Grasser?:confused: And, why does Austria have such strong feelings against him?:confused:

Karl Heinz Grasser is the extremely handsome, 36-year old Finance Minister of Austria. If I'm not mistaken he's the youngest minister the country's had in hundreds of years. He got into the news this year (well besides his work) for the fact that he cheated on his young, 28-year old fiancee with another famous Austrian--the wealthy, glamorous, three-times-divorced, 40-year-old, mother of three, Swarovski heiress Fiona Swarovski. The two were first photographed on a Paris airport, kissing, in March. That day, his fiance run her porsche into a tree in Vienna and ended up in the hospital. Long story short: a wonderful Tabloid mess, that ended with Grasser and Swarovski getting married at the end of October.

http://www.kleinezeitung.at/nachrich...6543/index.jsp

Smilla 11-21-2005 02:50 PM

Grasser is a controversial figure indeed, as there are people who think he's more in it for the glamour and meeting rich heiresses that come with his job in the limelight than the honest pleasure of putting the country's finances in order.
People don't even agree whether he's handsome at all...very controversial

pollyemma 11-21-2005 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piewi
First of all i discover royalty LOL
Iīve also realised:
-Carl-Philip is hot
-I still donīt like Camilla, my opinion about her is even worse.
-Harry seems to being more mature
-Maxima Letizia and Mary are very good princesses.
-I love the trio Casiraghi
-I like Princess Stephanie, she is natural

what makes you dislike camilla more?

selrahc4 11-24-2005 09:56 AM

Quote:

indeed, super nice, super smart, super bad taste.

LOL, I hope you meant only Laurentien's fashion taste...I think she has VERY good taste in husbands! :)

Piewi 11-24-2005 11:20 AM

Quote:

what makes you dislike camilla more?

Basically, her mariagge and all the things that the Windsor do for make her a Duchess. I donīt find any grace on her IMHO By the way iīd feel very embarrased for marrying Charles if i had been his mistress

lashinka2002 11-24-2005 01:17 PM

I have learnt this past year the following...Because Camilla looks, acts, walks and talks like a royal people are forgetting the disgraceful way her position was aquired. I have learnt that Charles and Camilla are not above manipulating the church or parliment to get what they want and that alone shows me their malovence. I have no doubt in my mind that the first chance Charles gets he will make Camilla his Queen.William is losing his hair just like his Uncle Edward.Louis of Luxemburg is growing up to be a fine, strong young man in facing and admitting his girlfriends unexpected pregnancy head on. Whoever said he is ruining his life is utterly ridiculous, any child is to be celebrated.Protocol and titles is soooo bloody confusing it makes my head spin.I have learnt that I am not very fond of Martha-Louise. She seems very spoiled. She wants the best of both worlds, royal and common. A little to greedy for my liking!I have learnt that Queen Ranina has had a nose job! What was wrong with her old nose???And of course Madeline of Sweden is a suck! "Oh boo hoo, I'm royal"

Claire 11-24-2005 03:39 PM

What I have learnt is actually quite scary. That with a good PR consultant, hair stylist and dress designers and several journalists in your pocket - you can fool the entire world. Of course, Charles does have the money to sprinkle fairy dust all over Camilla and make the world fall in love with her.
Of course I felt the greater fool with it was pointed out to me that it was exactly the same route Diana used, except as the friend pointed out "paintings always look nicer with nicer frames."

ysbel 11-24-2005 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire
Of course I felt the greater fool with it was pointed out to me that it was exactly the same route Diana used, except as the friend pointed out "paintings always look nicer with nicer frames."

Make no mistake about it, Diana was the master of the makeover, she was a spin doctor par excellence and a master manipulator of public opinion. She could make people believe white was black and she still does 8 years after her death.

Only the Queen Mother could even come close to her.

LaMinka 11-25-2005 07:12 AM

This that I have learn in 2005:
-Ingrid Alexandra and her cousins Maud Angelica and Leah Isadora is the most beautiful little trio!:rolleyes:
-Camilla is just great!
-Mette-Marit is also just great! Well, that I have learn before.. but whatever
-I Love Princess Mathilde, the duchess of Brabant!!
-I Still don't like Princess Mary.. I don't really know why..:o

Layla1971 11-26-2005 06:39 AM

Quote:

Karl Heinz Grasser is the extremely handsome, 36-year old Finance Minister of Austria. If I'm not mistaken he's the youngest minister the country's had in hundreds of years. He got into the news this year (well besides his work) for the fact that he cheated on his young, 28-year old fiancee with another famous Austrian--the wealthy, glamorous, three-times-divorced, 40-year-old, mother of three, Swarovski heiress Fiona Swarovski. The two were first photographed on a Paris airport, kissing, in March. That day, his fiance run her porsche into a tree in Vienna and ended up in the hospital. Long story short: a wonderful Tabloid mess, that ended with Grasser and Swarovski getting married at the end of October.

http://www.kleinezeitung.at/nachrich...6543/index.jsp

Wow, Austria has some interesting politicians! Australia doesn't have any politicians that could be considered handsome (well, not IMO!) I think that the fiancée is lucky to have found out prior the their being married!

Dennism 12-02-2005 05:12 AM

"Although, that ponytail needs to go. Adios... I have also realized that Victoria's ponytail seems to be a permanent fixture on her head like tattoed eyebrows or lipstick."

In time the Rockies may crumble, Gibraltar may tumble,
They're only made of clay,
But the ponytail is here to stay...:D