The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royalty Past, Present, and Future (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f164/)
-   -   Catholic Royals (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f164/catholic-royals-7944.html)

BeatrixFan 11-15-2005 10:23 AM

Catholic Royals

I am trying to compile a list of all the catholic royals, reigning and non reigning - can anyone add to the list?

HM King Juan Carlos of Spain
HM Queen Sofia of Spain
HRH The Prince of Asturias
HRH The Princess of Asturias
HRH The Duchess of Kent
HRH Princess Michael of Kent

Those are the ones I know for definate. Can anyone add?

lis 11-15-2005 10:27 AM

the belgium royal family

pollyemma 11-15-2005 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
I am trying to compile a list of all the catholic royals, reigning and non reigning - can anyone add to the list?

HM King Juan Carlos of Spain
HM Queen Sofia of Spain
HRH The Prince of Asturias
HRH The Princess of Asturias
HRH The Duchess of Kent
HRH Princess Michael of Kent

Those are the ones I know for definate. Can anyone add?

the Grand Duke and Duchess of Luxebourg and their children

the king and queen of Belgium
Queen Fabiola
The Duke and Duchess of Brabant
Prince Laurent and Princess Claire
Princess Astrid and Arch Duke Lorenz

Princess Maxima
Princess Marilene
Princess Anita
Princesss Aimee

BeatrixFan 11-15-2005 10:32 AM

Thanks Lis -

HM King Albert II
HM Queen Paola
HM Queen Fabiola
HRH The Duke of Brabant
HRH The Duchess of Brabant
HRH Princess Elizabeth
HRH Prince Gabriel
HRH Prince Emmanuel
HIRH Princess Astrid
HIRH Prince Lorenz
HIRH Prince Amadeo
HIRH Princess Maria Laura
HIRH Prince Joachim
HIRH Prince Luisa Maria
HIRH Prince Laetitia Maria
HRH Prince Laurent
HRH Princess Claire
HRH Princess Louise

are all Catholic?

BeatrixFan 11-15-2005 10:34 AM

Quote:

the Grand Duke and Duchess of Luxebourg and their children?
Is Grand Duke Jean and was Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte Catholic?

pollyemma 11-15-2005 10:37 AM

yes they are (or were, Josephine Charlotte's case).

Marengo 11-15-2005 10:50 AM

- Princesses Irene and Christina of The Netherlands
- The reigning houses of Liechtenstein and Monaco (Belgium, Luxembourg and Spain)
- The former reigning houses of Austria, Tuscany and Modena (Habsburg), France (Orleans, Napoleon, Bourbon), Brazil (Orleans-Braganca), Portugal (Braganca), Italy (Savoy, Savoy-Aosta), Parma (Bourbon-Parma), The Two Sicilies (Bourbon-Two-Sicilies, Hohenzollern (Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen), Wurttemberg (Wurttemberg), Bavaria (Wittelsbach), Saxony (Wettin).

- The mediatised houses of: Arenberg, Auersperg, Castell (partly), Colloredo u. Mansfeld, Croy, Esterhazy, Fugger, Furstenberg, Harrach, Hohenlohe (partly), Isenburg, Khevenmuller-Metsch, Konigsegg-Aulendorf, Kuefstein, Leyen, Looz & Corswarem, Lowenstein, Metternich, Neipperg, Oettingen (partly), Orsini & Rosenberg, Ortenburg (partly), Pappenheim, Quadt, Rechberg, Salm (partly), Sayn (partly), Schaesberg, Schonborn, Schonburg, Schwarzenberg, Thurn u. Taxis, Toerring (partly), Trauttmansdorff, Walbott von Bassenheim, Waldburg, Windisch-Graetz, Wurmbrand-Stuppach.

I don't know if Birgitta of Sweden (sister of the King) has converted, she is married to a catholic prince (of Hohenzollern). I believe the house of Saxe-Meiningen is catholic these days as well, although it was traditionally a protestant family.

BeatrixFan 11-15-2005 10:58 AM

Thanks Marengo!

Are King Michael and Queen Anne of Romania Catholic or Orthodox?

leonardinha 11-15-2005 11:20 AM

And the House of Liechtenstein too! :)

Marengo 11-15-2005 11:49 AM

King Michael is orthodox. His wife remained catholic I believe. I remember reading that her mother, Princes Margaretha of Parma (nee Denmark) went to the Vatican to get permission for this marriage, which was declined.

pollyemma 11-15-2005 12:18 PM

The Duchess of Kent is Catholic.

so are Prince Albert, Princess Stephanie and Princess Caroline (and Andrea, Char and Pierre).

Marengo 11-15-2005 12:25 PM

The youngest son of the Duchess, Lord Nicholas Windsor is catholic as well, so is her daughter-in-law, the Countess of St.Andrews.

Lady Marmalade 11-15-2005 01:02 PM

The former Italian Royal Family - Savoys, and their cousins, the The Aosta family - The Duke and Duchess of Calabria, the Prince and Princess of Two Sicilies.

The Bourbon-Parma's

All the former French Royals - Bourbon, Orleans, and Napolean families.

Tosca 11-15-2005 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade
The former Italian Royal Family - Savoys, and their cousins, the The Aosta family - The Duke and Duchess of Calabria, the Prince and Princess of Two Sicilies.

The Bourbon-Parma's

All the former French Royals - Bourbon, Orleans, and Napolean families.

The Duke of Aosta has an odd way to comply with the Catholic Church principles, as he's having a child of his latest mistress, an Italo-Dutch Duchess. He said this in an interview to the Italian edition of "Vanity Fair".
Then he abandoned this lady and went back to his second wife.
In retaliation the Duchess gave an interview to the state-run TV. Noblesse oblige!
Amedeo is reported to have several illegitimate children as well.

Lady Marmalade 11-15-2005 02:00 PM

Milla grazie, Tosca. :)

pollyemma 11-15-2005 02:03 PM

Quote:

may I ask to what possible use you might put such a list?

BeatrixFan 11-15-2005 03:05 PM

Well PollyEmma, it's more a personal note of who's on my side as it were! I knew that Queen Sofia and Queen Fabiola were catholic for example and so without going too much into it, I kept them in my prayers. Now, I don't intend to speil a list off to God each night who I am sure has better things to do with his time, but its of interest to me to know.

pollyemma 11-15-2005 03:08 PM

ah, a list of who'll have your back in a fight;)

always good to know...

I should make a list of protestant royals who will be on MY side should the 30 years war ever resume.

*SofiaM* 11-15-2005 03:23 PM

Quote:

Well PollyEmma, it's more a personal note of who's on my side as it were!.

Good idea for the thread Beatrixfan! :) I am also Catholic so yes, it's interesting to know which of the royals are.

SpiffyBallerina 11-15-2005 06:11 PM

I don't think there has to be a "point" to this thread because really, what's the point of any thread? It's all just for fun and for sharing information.