The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f118/)
-   -   The Queen's Dogs (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f118/the-queens-dogs-7470.html)

kelly1972 10-07-2005 06:49 AM

The Queen's Dogs

I can't remember if anyone ever posted anything about the Queen's love of her Corgi's. I know that this love of hers has gone back at least 60 yrs or so since she received her first corgi as a present from her parents. Does anyone know how many she has now? As well I have read that she keeps and trains other breeds too.

Elspeth 10-07-2005 08:03 AM

She breeds labradors as working gun dogs, but the corgis are pets. I'm not sure how many corgis there are at present, but it seems to be somewhere around four or five, give or take.

HMQueenElizabethII 10-07-2005 08:11 AM

Here you go Kelly:
How many corgis does The Queen have and what are their names?
The Queen currently owns five corgis and four dorgis, a corgi-dachshund crossbreed.

The corgis are called Emma, Linnet, Monty, Holly and Willow. The dorgis are called Cider, Berry, Candy and Vulcan

Aussie Princess 10-08-2005 08:25 AM

Those names are so cute!:D
I heard she 'inherited' her mother's dogs, so some of those may have belonged to the Queen Mother.

kelly1972 10-08-2005 08:42 AM

Thanks for the answer to my question QE2 I appreciate it. You really can see how much all of the royal love their dogs. I love their names too.:)

Iluvbertie 10-08-2005 10:18 AM

I believe that the dorgi's came about when one of the Queen's corgis and one of Princess Margaret's dauschunds (sp) had some fun and a litter resulted!!!

TheTruth 07-26-2007 11:28 AM

Pictures of the Queen's Corgis (they're so cute !)
Corbis: photography, rights, assignment, motion.
Corbis: photography, rights, assignment, motion.}

Bella 07-26-2007 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTruth (Post 645656)

OMG ~ How Cute!!! Thank you for posting these links. I especially love watching Royal documentaries that show HM's precious Corgi's padding around after her or laying sprawled out on the floor in her office or wherever she is.

PoLo 09-11-2007 10:02 PM

Just Adorable!

The Corgi's are just adorable, they are just some of the cutest dogs I have ever seen!

Queen Lillybeth(Elizabeth)II, also has a passion for horses.
This is a picture of Princess Lillybeth on her pony.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...92762_pony.jpg

PoLo 09-12-2007 07:12 PM

Anyone?

Does anyone know QE2's current names for her horses.
The names for her dogs are really cute!

Regina 05-14-2008 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII (Post 297020)
Here you go Kelly:
The Queen currently owns five corgis and four dorgis, a corgi-dachshund crossbreed.

The corgis are called Emma, Linnet, Monty, Holly and Willow. The dorgis are called Cider, Berry, Candy and Vulcan

I love the names! :wub: Especially Linnet and Vulcan.
If someone knows her horses names, please write them here.

Royal Fan 05-23-2008 01:03 AM

One Horse is Tigerlily

Polly 05-23-2008 02:24 AM

For my own, I rather admire Her Majesty's specailly bred, glorious, Labradors.

I met some, once, when staying close to Sandringham. They are truly lovely, elegant, intelligent, and superbly bred dogs. One black beauty, in particular, I would have loved to have scooped up and smuggled back into Australia.

The Corgis are, of course, HM closest and much-valued companions, but her Sandringham Labradors run a close second, and are instrumental and adored in Sandringham's royal pursuits and affection.

Menarue 05-23-2008 02:32 AM

I have always heard that corgi dogs are ankle nippers and occasionally apologies have to be sent out because of this.
They are Royal dogs so what can commoners expect? I too love to see the dogs running everywhere in documentaries. There was a film (one of the first ever made) very short with Queen Victoria and some of her very large family outnumbered by dogs which were also running everywhere.

Avicenna 05-24-2008 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII (Post 297020)
Here you go Kelly:

Please explain - what is a dorgy?? Never heard of this breed ... :eek:

Skydragon 05-24-2008 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avicenna (Post 770332)
Please explain - what is a dorgy?? Never heard of this breed ... :eek:

Corgi mated with Dachshund. introduced by HM when one of her corgis was mated with a dachshund belonging to her sister, Princess Margaret.:flowers: They are fun dogs as opposed to the gun dogs and terriers she also breeds.

Dorgi, Dorgis, Dorgie, Dorgies, Dachshund / Corgi Hybrid

Avicenna 05-24-2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon (Post 770350)
Corgi mated with Dachshund. introduced by HM when one of her corgis was mated with a dachshund belonging to her sister, Princess Margaret.:flowers: They are fun dogs as opposed to the gun dogs and terriers she also breeds.

Dorgi, Dorgis, Dorgie, Dorgies, Dachshund / Corgi Hybrid

Adorable! Such s sweet little one. Love these huge ears. Thank you so much, Skydragon, for your quick help and in particular for the link.

cmkrcwi 05-24-2008 11:21 PM

Corgis nip at one's heels because they're herding dogs and that's one way they have of telling cattle or sheep to hurry it up. It's instinctual with them.

Skydragon 05-25-2008 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmkrcwi (Post 770899)
Corgis nip at one's heels because they're herding dogs and that's one way they have of telling cattle or sheep to hurry it up. It's instinctual with them.

Or when they are badly trained pets. :biggrin:

Kezza 05-26-2008 03:03 AM

The Queen has nearly as many dogs as my mum owns ( breeds and shows english cocker spaniels). I like the names of the dogs a good variety of names.