The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Weddings: Non-Reigning Houses & Nobility (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f207/)
-   -   Raine Spencer (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f207/raine-spencer-6949.html)

tricia 08-20-2005 04:39 PM

Raine Spencer

Does anybody have a pic of her wedding gown when she married the Comte de Chambrun? Thanks!

Incas 08-20-2005 06:23 PM

From Corbis, dates July 8, 1993.

iowabelle 08-20-2005 06:55 PM

I remember she also wore a hideous pink ballgown, I think to celebrate the marriage at some party.

It sure didn't last, did it?

Reina 08-20-2005 08:14 PM

Is she still alive?

lallyvee 08-20-2005 08:22 PM

I believe so.

tricia 08-20-2005 09:40 PM

Actually I was referring to that awful pink floral gown...I'm sorry!

sara1981 08-21-2005 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reina
Is she still alive?

yes she still alive but im not sure what old she is!

Sara Boyce

Squidgy 08-21-2005 07:42 AM

Here is Widipedia's blurb on Raine ... it's interesting to see that, after all that has happened, she is still connected with Harrods department store (Mohamed Al-Fayed).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raine,_Countess_Spencer

It was an awful gown Tricia, wasn't it? But then, I don't like most of Raine's clothes. She is way too over the top for me!:eek:

Scott 08-21-2005 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squidgy
Here is Widipedia's blurb on Raine ... it's interesting to see that, after all that has happened, she is still connected with Harrods department store (Mohamed Al-Fayed).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raine,_Countess_Spencer

It was an awful gown Tricia, wasn't it? But then, I don't like most of Raine's clothes. She is way too over the top for me!:eek:

She takes after her mother, the late Barbara Cartland, with her over the top clothes. Thank goodness she does not do the same with make-up :D

scott

CATS 08-21-2005 05:41 PM

Gee she wasted no time getting remarried (33 days)

iowabelle 08-22-2005 01:06 PM

It was odd, given that she loved Earl Spencer so much.:confused:

Squidgy 08-22-2005 04:36 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tricia
Does anybody have a pic of her wedding gown when she married the Comte de Chambrun? Thanks!

Here you are Tricia ... a feast for the eyes! (Actually, and I'm sure everyone will disagree with me, looking at it now, I don't think the dress is as bad as I remember it. On the right person, it may even look nice. But on Raine, combined with bad hair/makeup, I don't think so.)

The gown is in Marie-Antoinette style and was designed by Ungaro. It was estimated to worth several thousand dollars, but Raine managed to get it free.

Photos: Royalty Magazine, v. 12, no. 7

iowabelle 08-22-2005 04:38 PM

I think it made her face look too pink.

In some ways she reminds me of Wallis Simpson (maybe it's her personality, she's not extremely thin or anything). But she seems to favor severe hairstyles like the Duchess of W.

iowabelle 08-22-2005 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CATS
Gee she wasted no time getting remarried (33 days)

Then again, she had to find someplace to live since her loving stepchildren were chucking her belongings out in garbage bags.

Squidgy 08-22-2005 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowabelle
Then again, she had to find someplace to live since her loving stepchildren were chucking her belongings out in garbage bags.

... Yes ... and none of her "loving stepchildren" attended the wedding ... they were too busy with previously planned engagements.:rolleyes:

Incas 08-22-2005 10:32 PM

Quote:

In some ways she reminds me of Wallis Simpson (maybe it's her personality, she's not extremely thin or anything). But she seems to favor severe hairstyles like the Duchess of W.

I think the lady forgets her age. The choice of her party dresses wouldn't look so bad on a 20-something having fun with clothes. Unfortunately, for ladies of a certain age, they simply look hedious.:eek:

iowabelle 08-23-2005 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incas
I think the lady forgets her age. The choice of her party dresses wouldn't look so bad on a 20-something having fun with clothes. Unfortunately, for ladies of a certain age, they simply look hedious.:eek:

You're probably right. Raine wouldn't have looked too bad in the coat-dress that Camilla wore for her blessing.

And Raine should have left off the net hairpiece thing. That was AWFUL.

tiaraprin 08-26-2005 07:36 AM

Quote:

You're probably right. Raine wouldn't have looked too bad in the coat-dress that Camilla wore for her blessing.

And Raine should have left off the net hairpiece thing. That was AWFUL.

Raine has always been over the top. Her mother was Barbara Cartland after all!!!:p :p

IslandDweller 08-28-2005 01:19 AM

I think Wikipedia may be making a mistake when it says Raine was Dame Barbara's only child. The latest issue of Parade Magazine has a little blurb answering a question from a reader in which it states that Cartland's unpublished manuscripts were being edited by "her son Ian McCorquodale".

It also says she sold more than a billion copies of her 726 books in 36 languages; and that she left 160 unedited manuscripts at her 400-acre estate, Camfield Place. It is these that are reportedly being edited by McCorquodale, and published by her website at a rate of one a month starting last year.

All this would indicate that her heirs are extremely rich and will be continuing to make money off of her for some time after her death. The piece says she died in 2000 at age 98, so Raine (born 1929 reportedly) may be up and kicking for quite a while yet.

Mapple 08-28-2005 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian_Ahern
I think Wikipedia may be making a mistake when it says Raine was Dame Barbara's only child. The latest issue of Parade Magazine has a little blurb answering a question from a reader in which it states that Cartland's unpublished manuscripts were being edited by "her son Ian McCorquodale".

The Wiki entry on Barbara Cartland states that she and her second husband had two sons, Ian and Glen, but the entry on Raine says that she is the only child from Barbara's first marriage. Both statements are true. :)